OC ReMix DKC2 Project: "Serious Monkey Business" - RELEASED!

Working on your own project related to the Donkey Kong Country series?
This forum is your place to discuss fangames, artwork, stories and so forth which are DKC relevant.

OC ReMix DKC2 Project: "Serious Monkey Business" - RELEASED!

Postby Qyzbud » March 3rd, 2008, 5:57 pm

Serious Monkey Business has finally been released!

http://dkc2.ocremix.org/

Check it out, and let us know what you think. :)

Original post:
Spoiler!
I've been hanging out for this.

Donkey Kong Country 2 Project ← OC ReMix forum thread

My favourite video game soundtrack of all-time has just been chosen as the focus of a remix project.

This is awesome news, but the timing isn't so awesome.

I want to work on DKC Atlas...
I want to compose a remix for this project...
I want some time to eat, and perhaps even sleep...

What's a long-time DKC fan to do?

Anyhow, great news. Let's hear what you guys think!

Cody, what do you think... Should I be the one to remix Disco Train? ;)
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Re: OverClocked ReMix DKC2 Project

Postby Kowbrainz » March 3rd, 2008, 6:28 pm

Hrmm... there's so many DKC2 tracks that need remixes.

Snakey Chantey, Mining Melancholy, Krook's March, the lost world anthem, etcetera etcetera...
Stickerbush Symphony has already been done quite well.

I was planning on remixing something simple like Wrinkly's school theme a while back... but I'd get nowhere compared to some of the guys like Protricity on OC. Perhaps you should do Primal Rave -- I love the chants in that song. Or perhaps Funky Flights!

Darn it! It's too damn hard to decide! :P :lol:
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 1

Postby cfh » March 3rd, 2008, 10:16 pm

You make music too? :o

I think you should try to join. If you haven't done much music composing, I think you should do Run, Rambi! Run!
cfh
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 6

Postby Kowbrainz » March 3rd, 2008, 10:24 pm

cfh wrote:If you haven't done much music composing, I think you should do Run, Rambi! Run!

Hehe, hell yes.

I still remember my first reaction when I jumped down, and heard the music change. At first, huh? Then I turned around to see King Zing... :lol: :P
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 1

Postby Qyzbud » March 3rd, 2008, 11:05 pm

cfh wrote:You make music too?

I... dabble. :)

cfh wrote:If you haven't done much music composing, I think you should do Run, Rambi! Run!

I dunno about that. To make anything good out of such a short (and harsh sounding) source tune, I think one would have to have some pretty advanced compositional skills. Seems to me that one of the most challenging remixing tasks is to make something substantial from next to nothing, and have it still carry the essence of the original.

Besides, that's the one and only DKC2 track I actually don't like.

I feel like I should join, too. I'm not exactly an established musician, but I've created and remixed some tunes to satisfy my own creative interests. I've listened to all the DKC tracks (and countless other ReMixes) over at OC, and I believe I could match the grade... but that would take some serious time away from my developments here. :|

On the other hand, if I don't do this, I'll look back on it forever and wish I'd given this remix project my all.

Ah, what the heck. Count me in.

Now... to pick a track and "GO FOR IT!"

I'm thinking maybe I'll take Cranky's Conga and make something really jazzy and atmospheric... What do ya think? :D
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Kowbrainz » March 3rd, 2008, 11:24 pm

Heh, I keep thinking of rearranging pieces instead... you're right about the fact that it would be so hard to come up with something new from so little, but still...
Besides, that's the one and only DKC2 track I actually don't like.

Yeah, this is simply unacceptable. :P

Hrrm... Swamp maybe? Funky's theme?

I don't think it matters how long I go through the music list... the choice is yours, really. I won't be able to pick for you... if I had to, I'd just tell you to remix the whole game's score.

EDIT: Yeah, Cranky's Conga sounds good. Perhaps weave some ol' DKC Cranky into the mix. :P
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 1

Postby Qyzbud » March 4th, 2008, 12:21 am

Both of your suggestions are great. The swamp music is my favourite track, and Funky's is one I've always wanted to reinterpret... The problem is that both of those tracks have already been 'claimed'. As cool as it would be, I don't like my chances of taking Funky's from djpretzel. :)

As for weaving DKC & DKC2's Cranky themes together... Rare pretty much did that for me. They're already pretty similar; It's like they avoid giving the old ape a new tune at all costs. Bastards. :P
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Cody » March 4th, 2008, 2:16 am

Qyzbud, that'd be great. I actually came into this topic just to ask you about it, I even had a post planned out in Notepad!

Spoiler!
Original post I had in mind: Months (or possibly over a year) ago, you said that you were working on a Disco Train remix. I was wondering, how's the progress on that coming along?
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 62

Postby Qyzbud » March 4th, 2008, 2:34 am

Heh, well I'll have to leave that one on the back burner for now... I've moved on to crankier pastures.

I think I just came up with my remix title. :lol:
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby cfh » March 4th, 2008, 7:52 am

Kowbrainz wrote:I still remember my first reaction when I jumped down, and heard the music change. At first, huh? Then I turned around to see King Zing... :lol: :P

And they messed it up in the GBA version! Even though the music is on there, Bad Bird Rag plays instead. Oh, well, I first played that level with the sound off in the airport anyway.
cfh
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 6

Postby Qyzbud » March 6th, 2008, 6:21 pm

Okay, I've made an official WIP submission, so hopefully you'll see my name next to Cranky's Conga on the project page sometime soon.

Here's what I sent in for the audition: Cranky's Conga remix WIP v1

Wish me luck, and let me know what you think!
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Kowbrainz » March 6th, 2008, 6:36 pm

Woah, that was quick. :P

Honest to god though, it sounds really nice. Apart from the main chorus being a little longer, I don't think there's much for you to do really.

Great work so far, all the best. :) 8-)
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 1

Postby Qyzbud » March 6th, 2008, 7:06 pm

Yeah I had to work fast... If anyone submitted before me, they might have been given claim to the song. They still might, but hey, at least I've put my best shot in for a work in progress.

Cheers for the comment. This is just a taste of what's to come, I'll be aiming for around 3-4 minutes, and much more variety... I've realised that not only Cranky's DKC tune, but a few other tunes from DKC and DKC2 would flow beautifully with the melodies and instrumentation of Cranky's Conga, so I'll be using other familiar elements as I get further into this piece.

Prizes for anyone who can pick them, in my future WIP's... :D
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby cfh » March 6th, 2008, 9:47 pm

I like it, managed not to sound like a MIDI. Nice! :D
cfh
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 6

Postby Qyzbud » March 6th, 2008, 10:40 pm

Thanks, cfh. Well I'm glad it doesn't sound like a midi... I did it all by ear, so I hope I have a good sense of tone.

If you hear any notes that sound off, let me know! :D

After submitting, I looked around for a midi of it for later reference, but I don't think anyone's made a Cranky's Conga midi... Maybe I should do that now that I've mapped out all the notes.

I'll let you guys know when I've worked on a WIP v2.
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby cfh » March 7th, 2008, 7:05 am

It still doesn't say you claimed it. Did he listen to it yet?
cfh
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 6

Postby BlueTronic » March 7th, 2008, 8:25 am

All this remixing DKC2 makes me wish I could remix. :cry:
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby Qyzbud » March 7th, 2008, 10:06 am

I just heard back from Taucer, and I'm not officially accepted yet, but I'll send in a revision soon taking his feedback into account:
Spoiler!
Qyzbud wrote:Hi Geoffrey,

My audition WIP for the DKC2 project:

http://www.dkc-atlas.com/host/music/...CongaWIPv1.mp3

I wanted to get something off to you as soon as possible to improve my chances of being first to audition. There's lots to add/improve, but hopefully this will give you a taste.

Thanks, I hope the project goes well, and I'd love to be a part of it.

All the best,
Qyzbud

Geoffrey Taucer wrote:Ambient stuff sounds great; where'd you get the SFX?

However, once you get to the actual melody, it's a bit tonally bland and underdeveloped. Sorry to be an ass, but I want to hear a bit more development before I officially give you the claim.

The good news is that you're the first person to express interest in this track, so odds are you'll be fine taking your time to get a good solid WIP. (I was considering tackling this one myself, though it's unlikely that I'll have enough time).

Cheers.

-Taucer
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby cfh » March 7th, 2008, 10:10 am

Well, I can't wait for your new WIP! :)
cfh
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 6

Postby Stone » March 15th, 2008, 9:30 am

Any new news about your OverColock Projekt? I can't wait listening to some new hot qyzbudded WIP! :mrgreen:
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 48

Postby BlueTronic » March 15th, 2008, 9:41 am

Qyz's mix: Although, I'm not really a fan of "Slow and soft" music, way to keep it sounding-like-the-original. :)
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby Qyzbud » March 15th, 2008, 3:43 pm

Unfortunately I've had little time to work on it. It's festival season here in Adelaide, and Monkeygirl has had me taking her to all kinds of events (music, comedy, visual art...). Hope I get a chance to resubmit my WIP before someone else takes the spot. We'll see!
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby BlueTronic » April 4th, 2008, 1:55 pm

I'm going to try to make a WIP of either Token Tango or Run, Rambi! Run! to submit to the project.
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby BlueTronic » April 12th, 2008, 9:10 am

Darn it! Just when I finish my WIP, somebody claims it!
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby nackhe » April 12th, 2008, 11:17 am

Your WIP sounds great Qyzbud! :D
And if you're leaning more to the ambient kind of remix, you could try and rip the sound of Cranky's rocking chair and put it in near the end/beginning of the song. :lol:
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 3

Postby Qyzbud » April 12th, 2008, 1:20 pm

I take it you were working on Run, Rambi! Run!, Kofu? Bad luck man, still; why not share it here?

It's pretty ironic that the mixer who claimed that track is named 'Ambient'... I can't think of a DKCt tune which is less of an ambient piece than Run Rambi. Depending on how much time and interest you have for the remixing project, maybe you could do Token Tango instead? You could use a little of Swanky's music for the intro, too. ;)

Thanks, nackhe :)
Don't worry about the sfx at this stage... I think Simion is working on that, anyhow. Besides, Cranky's rocking chair was in DKC, so it would be a strange sound to include in this DKC2 remix. I really must get back into this mix. Maybe after this site's next big update, I'll resume work. I'm thinking of having some of Cranky's tips whispered quietly during the intro, and perhaps some sounds from the Killer Instinct arcade game play at the end of my remix. I'll see how this works... If it doesn't fit, no big deal. :roll:
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby BlueTronic » April 12th, 2008, 1:28 pm

still; why not share it here?

Rock, Rambi! Rock!

Token Tango was proving to be harder than it looked, so I scrapped it and worked on Run, Rambi! Run! which was much easier. I might have another shot at Token Tango or another untaken song.
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby Qyzbud » April 12th, 2008, 2:00 pm

...well it sounds like you've imported the MIDI sucessfully. Now what? :roll:
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby BlueTronic » April 12th, 2008, 2:19 pm

That's because it's only a quick WIP. I haven't changed the melody yet.
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby nackhe » April 12th, 2008, 9:54 pm

Qyzbud wrote:
Thanks, nackhe :)
Don't worry about the sfx at this stage... I think Simion is working on that, anyhow. Besides, Cranky's rocking chair was in DKC, so it would be a strange sound to include in this DKC2 remix. I really must get back into this mix. Maybe after this site's next big update, I'll resume work. I'm thinking of having some of Cranky's tips whispered quietly during the intro, and perhaps some sounds from the Killer Instinct arcade game play at the end of my remix. I'll see how this works... If it doesn't fit, no big deal. :roll:

But it's a remix!
That means you are allowed to mix it with other things!
Besides, whenever I think of Cranky, I think "rocking chair" :lol:
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 3

Postby Qyzbud » April 13th, 2008, 10:59 am

Good point. :D

I'm planning to get into the remixing in a little bit, hopefully I can share a fresh WIP in a couple of hours...
(I'll let you know if I need some squeaking sounds. :lol:)

Edit: Just realised that your suggestion was for me to rip the sound... Nevermind. :P
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby BlueTronic » April 20th, 2008, 2:09 am

I made a DK Rescued WIP for the project.
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby Cody » April 20th, 2008, 11:35 am

Not to be a spoil sport, Kong-Fu, but that sounds just awful. I recommend further enhancing your remixing capabilities.

Qyz, yours sounds great!
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 62

Postby BlueTronic » April 21st, 2008, 2:29 am

That's because the drumbeat got screwed up.
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby Teeth » May 23rd, 2008, 7:14 am

I was just thinking a DKC2 remix project would be cool, after listening to the awesome Kong in Concert. :D Good luck with the project, guys.

Also, include Diddy's Boom Box and Dixie's Guitar.
Tourist

Postby Kiddy14 » May 23rd, 2008, 8:49 am

Teeth wrote:Also, include Diddy's Boom Box and Dixie's Guitar.

Diddy and Dixie's boombox/guitar endings change little according to the level, to make concordance with the music. For example, the last part in the Ship Ending of Diddy is done with a Flute, while the ending part is done with a synthesizer in the Coaster Ending.
It would be cool to include in a remix all of these endings, I mean, somewhere in the middle of it, all of Diddy's Endings mix up :)
I would like to make a Dixie Ending remix, but first I need an editing program :'(
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Postby Teeth » June 6th, 2008, 8:44 pm

I think Diddy and Dixie's numerous ending themes are just the same midi, but they use whichever instruments were used in the level. There are two exceptions: Diddy's ending theme in the lava levels has a different monkey vocal sound and Dixie's ending theme in Rattle Battle is higher pitched than usual. Also, the "VWHOOOP!" sound at the beginning of the track is different for both Kongs in the jungle levels. So if the ending themes were remixed, it'd only really be worth remixing the tune and then the artist could decide what style it should be in for themselves.

Is this project still going? Sorry to be a bother, but I'm just really excited about it. :mrgreen:
Tourist

Postby BlueTronic » June 9th, 2008, 11:58 am

Still going? It's not evening close to being over: the next deadline is August 10. After that, all tracks in red (The ones that are claimed, but have no WIP) will be open.
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby BlueTronic » March 18th, 2009, 8:20 am

Here's a 7 minute preview of some of the finished tracks.
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby Simion32 » March 18th, 2009, 12:50 pm

Wow, the tracks sound very intriguing, and are quite 'off the beaten path' of remixed music, just like DKC's Kong in Concert seemed to have done. The Disco Train remix stood out a lot in the compilation.

My Comments on each segment:
Spoiler!
Lost World - OK
Boss Bossanova? - OK
Disco Train - Very Good
Ship Deck - Sounds strange to me
Topsails - OK
Bayou Boogie - Awesomeness
Krocodile Cacophony - Lyrics make it sound weird. IMHO this needs to be replaced with the Krool Intentions remix... :|
Jungle II - This one's ok but it needs more bass, which is probably later in the song
Krook's March - good
Screech's Sprint?! - Great, creates 'bramble' feeling nicely.
Kannon's Klaim - OK
Wasp Hive - Err... little bit too much techno.
Mapscreen - OK
Overall, a very good job from the people at OCR... Can't wait to hear the full versions! :D
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Kiddy14 » March 18th, 2009, 3:39 pm

OMG, I loved Klomp's Romp, Jib Jig, Bayou Boogie and Krook's March!
I love the flute(?) in Jib Jig! Klomp's Romp is kind of weird-sounding at first, may have to do with the instruments, but I loved the arrangements =P

EDIT: My favorite so far is Krook's March. But I think I'd end up deleting all the vocals songs... ugh...
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Postby BlueTronic » March 18th, 2009, 10:42 pm

Simion32 wrote:Boss Bossanova?

I think thats Haunted Hall.

simion32 wrote:Krocodile Cacophony

That's Run, Rambi! Run! (The remix is called 'The Backwards Room')

Mapscreen

That's Crocodile Cacophany.
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby Tiptup Jr. » March 19th, 2009, 2:50 am

Ohmahgoodness, the tracks rule. If I had any musical talent I'd probably contribute to this, but . . . I don't. Also:

Spoiler!
Qyzbud wrote:I... dabble. :)

Best Qyz quote ever.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby BlueTronic » March 19th, 2009, 9:24 am

I found the full versions of the Mining Melancholy and the Crocodile Cacophony remixes
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby Gnawzooka » March 20th, 2009, 5:01 pm

Kong-Fu wrote:
Simion32 wrote:Boss Bossanova?

I think thats Haunted Hall.

Sounds like Boss Bossanova to me.
I'm looking forward to this.
Seeker of Mysteries
Bananas received 5

Postby Sockpuppet » March 21st, 2009, 10:26 pm

It's Boss Bossanova. You can hear the Jib Jig section of it, and right after that I recognize the synth-things part.
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 4

Postby Kiddy14 » March 29th, 2009, 4:36 pm

So far my favorite has been Krook's March's (the one at 8:09 in the 2nd preview). Who's in charge of that song? =] And why they don't preview more of that song!? ¬¬
Then there are the two Jib Jig's previewed.
In third place, I really like Klomp's Romp's feel =P

But what I haven't really liked are the remixes with vocals. I have this feel I'll be constantly skipping those =S Not all of them, there are some I like; but in my opinion Crocodile Cacophony is too "hard", and "strong" for lyrics. In fact I liked In a Snowbound Land and Hot Head Bop's arrangements!
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Postby Sockpuppet » March 29th, 2009, 5:20 pm

Kiddy14 wrote:So far my favorite has been Krook's March's (the one at 8:09 in the 2nd preview). Who's in charge of that song? =]

Sounds a bit like something Zircon would do. I love it too. =D

EDIT: Actually I just checked, Audix did it.

I'm kinda disappointed by the new preview though...=( I didn't like any of the remixes of my favorites (Stickerbrush Symphony, Hot Head Bop, In a Snow-Bound Land, Mining Melancholy, Snakey Chantey and Forest Interlude). All the remixes I really like are of the songs I didn't like as much (But of course all DKC2 music was awesome).
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 4

Postby Gnawzooka » March 29th, 2009, 7:05 pm

I haven't heard the second preview yet but...
...did someone just say they did Crocodile Cacophany with vocals?! :shock:
Why don't they just use Krool Intentions? :|
Seeker of Mysteries
Bananas received 5

Next

Return to DKC Projects/Fanworks