DKC Atlas Collab - DKC Remix Project

Working on your own project related to the Donkey Kong Country series?
This forum is your place to discuss fangames, artwork, stories and so forth which are DKC relevant.

Re: DKC Atlas Collab - DKC Remix Project

Postby Cody » January 17th, 2010, 8:33 am

Now that everything in my life is currently in order, turns out I'll be able to work on a remix for this after all! I'll see if I could come up with a WIP for one of the unclaimed tracks (it'll be a surprise) in the meantime :mrgreen:
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 62

Postby BlueTronic » February 21st, 2010, 4:00 pm

Does anyone know a way I can make an instrument out of samples in FLStudio without paying? The only thing I can find costs $99, that's outragous. :(

I've sampled a few instruments from my keyboard. Once I find a way to put them into a sampler, Badass Boogie will be done.
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby Lampje4life » March 3rd, 2010, 12:23 am

We're almost done with the intro for Gangplank Galleon, finally..
Even though Sockpuppet did work on something, we tried it ourselves too ^^
Can still change it later on ofcourse!

Expect Gangplank to be finished and green(!) this week!
Trainee Trekker

Postby Cosmicman » March 3rd, 2010, 12:17 pm

I've been done since 09 ! What am I supposed to do with the tracks ? :lol:
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 91

Postby Sockpuppet » March 3rd, 2010, 3:28 pm

Just send them to me and Qyzbud. ;)

Lampje4life wrote:We're almost done with the intro for Gangplank Galleon, finally..

Good to hear, Lampje! I guess I'll just turn mine into a full remix once the project's done. Or add it as a bonus track. Or I could send you what I have (I've progressed a bit more since I posted it on the forums) and you can possibly use ideas from it. :)
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 4

Postby Lampje4life » March 3rd, 2010, 8:30 pm

Sockpuppet wrote:Just send them to me and Qyzbud.

Lampje4life wrote:We're almost done with the intro for Gangplank Galleon, finally..

Good to hear, Lampje! I guess I'll just turn mine into a full remix once the project's done. Or add it as a bonus track. Or I could send you what I have (I've progressed a bit more since I posted it on the forums) and you can possibly use ideas from it. :)

Send ahead! You got my email ;)

We are finished, but the intro piano is still kinda cheesy.. I'd like to make it more realistic and try to master the song.. Not that it will get much better, but anything helps I guess xD
Trainee Trekker

Postby Sockpuppet » March 4th, 2010, 8:07 am

Lampje4life wrote:Send ahead! You got my email ;)

Actually I've changed computers so I don't have it anymore. :( But I can still upload it somewhere and PM you. ;)
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 4

Postby Lampje4life » March 4th, 2010, 8:38 am

Replied!

Your parts sounds way cooler than ours, if there was only a way to merge them..
Trainee Trekker

Postby BlueTronic » May 17th, 2010, 7:21 am

This project seems to have taken a vacation. Am I the only one still making progress?
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby cfh » May 17th, 2010, 10:29 am

I come back to it every now and then. Possibly starting my DK Swing mix over. The title has definitely got to change, it's much too pretentious. :P
cfh
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 6

Postby BlueTronic » May 17th, 2010, 1:25 pm

I'm also cleaning up my mixes. My remixing skills have improved since then, and I look at the project files and I'm like "WTF? This is sh*t!"

I recently had to reformat my PC, and Badass Boogie (with all the sampled instruments getting lost) I actually decided just to start over from scratch.
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby Sockpuppet » May 28th, 2010, 9:26 pm

Updates! :D

Lampje sent me a completed Gangplank Galleon remix a while ago, and I forgot to mark it as finished on the list. I've fixed that now.

I completely forgot about the gameover theme before. I think there's enough material in there for it to be remixable, so I'll add it to the list. Here it is in case you haven't heard it.

It'd be nice if we could get this done by the end of the year (maybe in November to celebrate DKC's release like Qyz suggested), so get those remixes in! :D
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 4

Postby cfh » July 19th, 2010, 12:14 am

How's everyone doing with their mixes? I'm on a trip right now, but I've been thinking about my entries recently.

For my DK Swing mix, I'm starting from scratch, and doing a lot of re-arrangements. I'm going to try modifying the first part into a rock-style verse chorus structure. I'm still going to have vocals, though not sung by me, and instead have both male and female vocals from two of my friends. I'm going to change the title because it's way too pretentious for a Donkey Kong remix, and the lyrics will focus on the atmosphere to avoid any potential cheese.

The Funky Flights mix has felt really boring to me for as long as I've been working on it. I've tried re-recording several times, but it still just lacks excitement. I've been reading up on production techniques however, and when I get home I'm going to work on the dynamics of the track.

Raring to Go hasn't really been worked on much at all yet, but over the past year I've been constantly trying new ideas and different styles of electronic/dance music to get a good DnB sound. It might take a while, but I think I can get the sound I'm looking for with this track with my new knowledge.

Also, I noticed that a lot of tracks are unclaimed.. Should we consider advertising the project? If only just on this website, it could help.
cfh
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 6

Postby BlueTronic » July 19th, 2010, 10:15 am

cfh wrote:How's everyone doing with their mixes? I'm on a trip right now, but I've been thinking about my entries recently.

turmOIL is done
Sock is going to get realistic orchestral tracks for Badass Boogie, then it's done
I haven't even touched my Candy's Love Song, but it's going to be redone.

The Funky Flights mix has felt really boring to me for as long as I've been working on it. I've tried re-recording several times, but it still just lacks excitement. I've been reading up on production techniques however, and when I get home I'm going to work on the dynamics of the track.

Try making the lead guitar louder, the drums crazier, and add some delay and reverb. If that fails, I can write a more lively version.

Also, I noticed that a lot of tracks are unclaimed.. Should we consider advertising the project? If only just on this website, it could help.

We should advertise it on OCRemix.org
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby cfh » July 20th, 2010, 1:47 am

Kong-Fu wrote:Try making the lead guitar louder, the drums crazier, and add some delay and reverb. If that fails, I can write a more lively version.

From what I've read, it's all about dynamics. You can make the guitar as loud and the drums as crazy as you want, but if it's like that the whole way through, it'll lack energy.

I'm sure we could advertise on OCRemix, but I feel like we should have some kind of demo to entice people, and I'll leave the final decision/posting to Sockpuppet.
cfh
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 6

Postby BlueTronic » July 20th, 2010, 6:13 am

Listen to this one. Is that exciting enough?
Attachments
Funky's Flights.mp3
(374.76 KiB) Downloaded 1190 times
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby cfh » July 20th, 2010, 6:17 am

Holy crap that's crazy! xD

I'd love to hear more like that, but I stick with my dynamics theory. Let's combine the two for an amazing DK mix that'll kick your ass.

Edit: who changed the word filter? it was perfect before..
cfh
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 6

Postby Jomingo » July 20th, 2010, 7:41 am

What changed about the word filter?

EDIT: Also, I liked that sample, but I agree that dynamics can make it a lot better. It's something I've worked on in choir for years. It sounds great to belt out the loud lyrics, but they sound that much better when they follow very soft lyrics. The same could be said here.

Great sample so far though.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby BlueTronic » July 20th, 2010, 10:28 am

Think of it as sort of a small preview. ;)
cfh wrote:I'd love to hear more like that, but I stick with my dynamics theory. Let's combine the two for an amazing DK mix that'll kick your ass.

Sounds good. This time, you give me the guitar recordings and I'll put them in.
Jomingo wrote:EDIT: Also, I liked that sample, but I agree that dynamics can make it a lot better. It's something I've worked on in choir for years. It sounds great to belt out the loud lyrics, but they sound that much better when they follow very soft lyrics. The same could be said here.

Yes, dynamics is important. Yes, it may be the most important thing for a single instrument like guitar or choir, but it isn't the only important thing for an entire song.
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby Jomingo » July 20th, 2010, 11:10 am

Of course it's not the only important thing, it's just one important aspect.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby Sockpuppet » July 20th, 2010, 5:03 pm

Yeah, I think advertising on OCR's Recruitment board is a good idea, but we'll need some kind of demo first. Either the compilation of short clips like we planned before (we'll make that anyway at some point for this site) or we could choose 1 or 2 full tracks to show. I'll have to think about that a bit.
I can take up Cave Dweller Concert again. I reckon I can make a full song out of the WIP I had.

@Kong-Fu: If you can get me a MIDI of you Boss remix (preferably with the tracks labeled if FL can do that), that would make my job a lot easier. I could do a few electronic/DnB drum tracks as well, if you like. ;)
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 4

Postby cfh » July 20th, 2010, 8:29 pm

Jomingo wrote:What changed about the word filter?

Sh*t became "naughty S word!" or something like that. It made me chuckle, but now it's gone D:

Kong-Fu wrote:Sounds good. This time, you give me the guitar recordings and I'll put them in.

Yeah, I like that idea, but I still want to be in charge of the final mixing. Would it be possible to do completely in Mixcraft?
cfh
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 6

Postby BlueTronic » July 21st, 2010, 1:04 am

etrI don't know. I've never heard of Mixcraft. I would reccommend letting me do the final mixing in FLStudio because it's professional grade and would give best results. But if you feel strongly about it, that's fine.

@Kong-Fu: If you can get me a MIDI of you Boss remix (preferably with the tracks labeled if FL can do that), that would make my job a lot easier. I could do a few electronic/DnB drum tracks as well, if you like.

FL can label MIDI tracks. I'll stick with the drums I have now, thank you. I'll get you a MIDI of the orchestral instruments, then you can sample them and send the instrument samples to me.

Here an extended version of the mix:
Attachments
Funky's Flights.mp3
(1.18 MiB) Downloaded 1165 times
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby cfh » July 21st, 2010, 3:29 am

Hmm. Yeah. It's probably better to keep this more "Kong-Fu feat. DarKalli" and let you mix my guitar playing to fit your own vision. It'll give it a more comprehensive sound, and different from my other tracks.
cfh
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 6

Postby BlueTronic » July 21st, 2010, 5:04 pm

What's DarKalli? Is that your band?

Sock, can I also get a sample of an ochestral stab that sounds like the low quality one I had in Fear Factory before? All I need is a single sample
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby Sockpuppet » July 21st, 2010, 5:06 pm

Sure, if I can find one. I'll need a MIDI for that too. I like the one you've got at the moment though.
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 4

Postby BlueTronic » July 21st, 2010, 5:16 pm

I don't see why you like it. It sounds like a steel drum. Too Jamaican. :roll:
It's also not nearly as exciting as the one I had before. :(

No need for a MIDI, one sampled middle C note will do.
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby Sockpuppet » July 21st, 2010, 5:23 pm

Oh, I thought I was doing the full track for each instrument you needed, exporting each instrument you needed as a seperate audio file and sending them to you so you could put them together. I can get you the orch hit sound by just sending the one note but to get somewhat realistic orchestral samples I'll probably need to do it that way.
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 4

Postby BlueTronic » July 22nd, 2010, 12:42 am

I'll see how it sounds. I want it to sound more electronic than realistic, so a single sample might even work better.
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby Sockpuppet » July 22nd, 2010, 4:46 pm

Alright, here are your hit simples:
http://www.tindeck.com/listen/eyhs
http://www.tindeck.com/listen/mpfu
http://www.tindeck.com/listen/vbko

Let me know when you've got them so I can take them off.

If you want to do the boss remix the same way, you'd probably be better off keeping the samples you've already got. ;) So I'll mark that as finished now if you want.
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 4

Postby cfh » July 23rd, 2010, 7:31 am

I might try making a dub mix of Forest Frenzy.. we'll see how the rest of my remixes go first xD
cfh
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 6

Postby Lampje4life » July 25th, 2010, 9:42 am

I'm still alive too! To be honest, I was afraid this project would've bled to dead but it's nice to see these new posts here :)
I'm all up for the advertising, on OCRemix, maybe VGMusic forums too? I don't know that many active sites with fitting forums.

Funky preview was awesome by the way!

EDIT: Gangplank's Remix title = Shipboard Showdown
Trainee Trekker

Postby cfh » February 26th, 2011, 11:09 am

I've been thinking maybe we should restart this.

This time, could offer any song in the DKC trilogy, and make a compilation of all the remixes that come from that. What does everyone think? x]
cfh
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 6

Postby Cody » February 26th, 2011, 12:07 pm

Yeah, I like that. It'll give some of the harder-to-remix tracks some time off :D
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 62

Postby cfh » February 27th, 2011, 2:33 pm

And a chance to see which tracks people still have inspiration for xD
cfh
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 6

Postby cfh » March 4th, 2011, 11:30 am

Just checking, everyone like this idea? I got the go-ahead from Qyz and Sockpuppet x]
cfh
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 6

Previous

Return to DKC Projects/Fanworks