DKC Atlas Collab - DKC Remix Project

Working on your own project related to the Donkey Kong Country series?
This forum is your place to discuss fangames, artwork, stories and so forth which are DKC relevant.

Re: DKC Atlas Collab - DKC Remix Project

Postby BlueTronic » September 11th, 2009, 10:45 am

It says you're online. Did it work?

Every time I go online it signs me in as anonymous. Why? :cry:
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby Cody » September 11th, 2009, 10:54 am

I don't think you understand :lol:

There's a secret forum, right, that requires a password. I have no idea how to log onto that secret forum, though I don't have trouble at all logging onto the regular ones.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 62

Postby Sockpuppet » September 11th, 2009, 5:37 pm

I might have fixed the problem. I found out the forum was completely invisible to some people and changed it.
If the forum asks for your name and password, enter your user name and the password you chose. When you try to enter the secret forum, it should only ask for a password. That's when you enter the one I gave you.

Kong-Fu - I have no idea. So... you're not accidentally choosing to log in as 'invisible'?
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 4

Postby Cody » September 12th, 2009, 6:10 am

Oh, thanks! I'm glad it wasn't just me, then, 'cause I can see the forum fine now. :D
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 62

Postby Lampje4life » September 12th, 2009, 7:24 am

Gangplank is doing GREAT.
Especially because I almost gave it up at some point.
Expect this one to be finished very soon!
Updates at private forum, can't miss them :lol:

Anyway, the introducing part from Gankplank, with the accordeons, hasn't been done by us yet.
Maybe we can split the Track and have that part done by someone else?
Or a Megacollab?
Trainee Trekker

Postby Sockpuppet » September 12th, 2009, 10:10 am

I agree, it is going great! :D I'd still like to help out in some way too.
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 4

Postby Cody » September 15th, 2009, 1:11 pm

Just to clarify, Forest Frenzy can be arranged in any which way I want, correct? It doesn't have to be dance, techno, or rock?
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 62

Postby Lampje4life » September 15th, 2009, 7:28 pm

Cody wrote:Just to clarify, Forest Frenzy can be arranged in any which way I want, correct? It doesn't have to be dance, techno, or rock?

If you can burp Forest Frenzy, please do so :D
Can't wait to hear that!

But no, there are no limitations, as long as it is your original work and no MIDI-Rip.
Actually, I encourage anyone not choosing the easy (Dance) way like I do :oops:
Trainee Trekker

Postby Cody » September 16th, 2009, 7:56 am

Heheh, if I could burp Forest Frenzy, that would be amazing.

Just to warn you guys ahead of time, my style of Forest Frenzy may appeal to the older crowd more than the current generation; i.e. it's something you'd expect to hear in the 30s or 40s ;)
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 62

Postby BlueTronic » September 16th, 2009, 8:57 am

Cody wrote:Heheh, if I could burp Forest Frenzy, that would be amazing.

Not as amazing as Flight of the Zinger. :lol:

Cody wrote:Just to warn you guys ahead of time, my style of Forest Frenzy may appeal to the older crowd more than the current generation; i.e. it's something you'd expect to hear in the 30s or 40s ;)

As long as you use the right remixing skills, people will still like it (Unless it's really strange ;))

You should upload it to the protected forum whacha-callit.
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby Lampje4life » September 18th, 2009, 8:04 pm

A friend of mine is working with me on the Gangplank intro.

We'll keep you posted, but it could be another remixer will join the project that way :)!

And if so, the counter for Gankplank will be 3 :D
Trainee Trekker

Postby Cody » October 1st, 2009, 4:47 am

Awful news.

On Friday, my laptop was granted with a rather viscious strain of spy/adware. It was doing awful stuff (such as, for example, causing 'explorer.exe' to terminate by itself while in Safe Mode), which unfortunately caused me to reinstall Windows... I couldn't save anything, including my remix (which was finished).

I told cfh on AIM a few days ago and he said the same thing happened to the last guy who tried to remix Forest Frenzy? Maybe it's a curse. :o

But, I promise, I'll have something done and uploaded by tonight. It definitely won't be too amazing, but I'll make sure it fits the album. :D
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 62

Postby Sockpuppet » October 1st, 2009, 2:17 pm

Damn it! :x That really sucks. Ah well, just do what you can, and take your time if you need to.

In other news, we're now calling everything "remixes" instead of "ReMixes." Which reminds me, we still need a name for the album.
Suggestions so far (tell me if I missed one):
Gorilla Rhythms
Kongbination
Kongjunction
Donkey Re-Kongstructed
Monkey Mix Madness
Barrel Beats
Kong Kollaboration
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 4

Postby Lampje4life » October 3rd, 2009, 5:58 am

Sockpuppet wrote:Damn it! :x That really sucks. Ah well, just do what you can, and take your time if you need to.

In other news, we're now calling everything "remixes" instead of "ReMixes." Which reminds me, we still need a name for the album.
Suggestions so far (tell me if I missed one):
Gorilla Rhythms
Kongbination
Kongjunction
Donkey Re-Kongstructed
Monkey Mix Madness
Barrel Beats
Kong Kollaboration

Donkey Re-Kongstructed
Monkey Mix Madness

Are the coolest :D
Trainee Trekker

Postby Sockpuppet » October 4th, 2009, 2:20 pm

By the way, in case anyone isn't checking the WIP forums, I've posted an update on my LITM track.
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 4

Postby Emunator » October 5th, 2009, 7:55 am

I'm gonna take a stab at Ice Cave Chant. I've never attempted to remix anything before in my life so this will be a first for me, but I've got some ideas for a piano-centric mix that may or may not pan out. When I've got a working WIP I'll let you know!
Newcomer

Postby Sockpuppet » October 5th, 2009, 3:46 pm

Oh hi there Emunator! :mrgreen: Good to see you here! I'll wait 'til I've heard a WIP before I put you on the list and give you the forum password. ;)
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 4

Postby Emunator » October 8th, 2009, 2:40 pm

OK, I sent something in. Hopefully it's good enough in its current state (pardon the excessive clipping, that can be fixed if absolutely necessary.)
Newcomer

Postby Sockpuppet » October 24th, 2009, 9:07 am

I'm tempted to make Mine Cart Madness a piano-only piece. Yea or nay?
(Yes, I'm being serious)
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 4

Postby Gnawzooka » October 24th, 2009, 11:08 am

No, I think you could do much better.
Seeker of Mysteries
Bananas received 5

Postby BlueTronic » October 24th, 2009, 3:30 pm

Please don't. :(

Mine Cart Madness is an epic track, and epic songs need good multi-instrument remixes. If you can't think of anything else to start off with, I can give you a few ideas.

But epic track + piano solo = disaster
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby Sockpuppet » October 24th, 2009, 3:37 pm

Haha! :lol: OK I won't. I've got a few ideas, but that was just one of the more... interesting ones. Maybe I'll do an alt. version as a bonus or something. ;)
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 4

Postby Emunator » October 25th, 2009, 6:45 am

LOL, you guys are making me feel self-conscious about my piano solo mix of Ice Cave Chant... If you all are so vehemently opposed to someone with talent doing a piano remix, I'm afraid the reaction would be much worse to someone who's still learning the ropes doing a piano solo mix :?
Newcomer

Postby Gnawzooka » October 25th, 2009, 9:09 am

Actually Ice Cave Chant could work as a piano mix; Mine Cart Madness is too epic though. :P
Seeker of Mysteries
Bananas received 5

Postby BlueTronic » October 25th, 2009, 9:50 am

I just think that piano-only remixes are pointless because they have no drums, and therefore no beat. I would at least add drums.

Here's a good piano-and-drums-only DKC remix I found:
http://sectionz.s3.amazonaws.com/mp3/br ... 535976.mp3
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby Qyzbud » October 25th, 2009, 2:43 pm

Emunator, I agree with Gnawz... Ice Cave Chant would be well suited to a piano composition. Actually, I'd say it could be adapted almost note-for-note into a piano piece... but of course that's not exactly what we're going for - creativity and reinterpretation is a focus for this album. Don't feel too put off by the negative comments about piano solos... as mentioned, it depends a fair bit on track choice. Your choice should fit perfectly. :)

Although Mine Care Madness doesn't exactly scream "PIANO SOLO!" to me, I'm sure it could be done. Go for it, if you're keen. Personally, I think it would be great to have some piano solo elements incorporated into an epic, multi-instrumental MCM remix. There would be nothing wrong with that! Personally, I think the epicness of a track is somewhat lost if there are no solos/breakdowns/builds to provide contrast and emphasise the dynamics of a composition. Even if you perhaps started with an extended piano solo, or had one at the end to wind down after some more rich and energetic sections... well, that could be the best of both worlds, perhaps.

Just my thoughts, guys... but of course be creative, and do whatever feels/sounds right to you. :)

PS. I'm not very fond of the remix you linked to, Kong-Fu... but Radiowar's 'Lanterns' remix on OC was an excellent example of a primarily piano Stickerbrush Symphony composition with no percussion. Very slow and sombre piece... I know that's not your favourite style, but it's certainly a unique and successful approach to a 'drumless' DKC remix.
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Sockpuppet » November 12th, 2009, 6:26 pm

I'm clearing Simian Segue, Cave Dweller Concert, Voices of the Temple and Treetop Rock. So now anyone can claim them, but only if they send a WIP. Sorry guys, but you're way over the WIP date.

I found (or re-found, as they were in my bookmarks) some really nice samples, including orchestral and industrial percussion, synths and basses, so that should really help out with my Mine Cart Madness Remix. And by the way, I posted a demo of the Gangplank Galleon intro in Lampje's thread. Check it out, project members! :D

And I'm really sorry to those people who sent me stuff that I haven't replied to yet. :oops: I should do that right now before I forget again.
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 4

Postby Gnawzooka » November 13th, 2009, 5:46 pm

Sockpuppet wrote:I'm clearing Simian Segue, Cave Dweller Concert, Voices of the Temple and Treetop Rock. So now anyone can claim them, but only if they send a WIP. Sorry guys, but you're way over the WIP date.

Oh yeah... sorry about that... :oops:
Sockpuppet wrote:I found (or re-found, as they were in my bookmarks) some really nice samples, including orchestral and industrial percussion, synths and basses

Links? :D
Seeker of Mysteries
Bananas received 5

Postby Sockpuppet » November 13th, 2009, 5:49 pm

Here. Although I'm not sure your version of FL can use them. They're all soundfonts.
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 4

Postby Lampje4life » November 15th, 2009, 10:27 pm

Sweet!

Darkesword has some very nice mixes too, I like his style.
Trainee Trekker

Postby Cody » November 16th, 2009, 3:52 pm

I'd ADORE taking over Cave Dweller Concert too.

I'll have a WIP up very shortly.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 62

Postby Sockpuppet » November 16th, 2009, 3:53 pm

Certainly. ;) Thank you very much!
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 4

Postby Cody » November 16th, 2009, 8:48 pm

No problem.

To be honest, I was so excited about getting to work on something other than Forest Frenzy for a change that I started work on the Cave Dweller Concert remix right away. The WIP has been uploaded. ;)

I'll definitely be finished with Cave Dweller Concert within the next week or so, though I'm not sure when I'll be done with Forest Frenzy. I'll try to get it done within this month.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 62

Postby Cody » November 18th, 2009, 5:40 pm

Pardon the bump, but even though I feel like I'm really taking a giant leap, would you mind if I claimed Treetop Rock, too? Of course I'll have a WIP soon if so. ;)
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 62

Postby Sockpuppet » November 18th, 2009, 5:44 pm

Sure, but I'll need the WIP before I give you the claim. ;)
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 4

Postby Cody » November 18th, 2009, 5:46 pm

Edit (12-1-2009 10:34 AM):
I have to take care of a few unexpected personal situations, so I think it would be best if you took my name off of Forest Frenzy and Cave Dweller Concert. I'll be fine, though - I'm sure whoever claims them would do a much better job at both than I could. :)

Here's to hoping I'll be able to remix a track or two for the future DKC2 remix project! :D
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 62

Postby Sockpuppet » December 4th, 2009, 4:12 pm

Aww, that's a shame. :( I'll see if I can come up with something for Forest Frenzy. I hope to see you back for the next project.

I'm thinking of releasing a preview of the project on or around Christmas. So try and get as much work done as you can everyone. ;)
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 4

Postby Lampje4life » December 5th, 2009, 1:24 am

A preview would be VERY nice!
Trainee Trekker

Postby Cody » December 6th, 2009, 5:28 am

Sockpuppet wrote:I hope to see you back for the next project.

Of course. I wouldn't miss it for the world. ;)
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 62

Postby Lampje4life » December 24th, 2009, 8:28 pm

Is the preview still coming? :oops:
Trainee Trekker

Postby Qyzbud » December 25th, 2009, 3:28 am

Well it's going to be a belated present, but it will find its way to your chimney/speakers before too long. ;)
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Sockpuppet » December 25th, 2009, 10:38 am

I'm not sure. I haven't got as many tracks as I would've liked. We might try for New Years Day instead.
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 4

Postby cfh » December 31st, 2009, 3:53 am

Went back to my track after a long break from it.. this thing is messy! I'm cleaning it up right now. It's just like programming when you go back to your old work, you think to yourself "what was I thinking?"
cfh
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 6

Postby BlueTronic » December 31st, 2009, 6:26 am

Does that mean the guitar recordings will be mastered? (or whatever guitarists do to make the sound quality professional) :)

Why has no one taken Forest Frenzy? There are so many possibilities for it. :(
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby Sockpuppet » December 31st, 2009, 11:43 am

:lol: I know what you mean cfh. My old 'remixes' (or 'unoriginal covers') are full of mistakes and general weirdness. Good thing I've improved, some of them sounded horrible.

@Kong-Fu - Maybe everyone is afraid it will screw up their computers like it did to the other 2 or 3 people who attempted it. It's one of my favorite tracks though, and I've got a few ideas... maybe I'll try it out.

I got a new laptop for Christmas, and Reason (sequencer) works perfectly on it. My old computer couldn't handle some of the songs I made. That should help motivate me to get my tracks finished. Unfortunately, I still haven't gotten enough tracks for the preview, so it won't be released on New Years Day after all. It will simply be released 'when it's ready.'
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 4

Postby Sockpuppet » January 3rd, 2010, 9:21 pm

I deleted my crappy Mine Cartastrophe ReMix and started from scratch. No, it's not a piano mix, but I feel that I should post a short demo here before I get too far to make sure I'm going in a direction people are happy with.

It's far from finished, and that bit may not even be in the final track, but that's the general sound and feel I'm going for at the moment. There's also a couple of 2 second references to some DKC2 tracks in there ;) .
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 4

Postby BlueTronic » January 4th, 2010, 5:10 am

Hey, that sounds kind of like the Fat Princess music. And for that, your mix is officially awesome. :P

I got my keyboard for Christmas, so if I can find a way to sample the instruments I'll finally be able to replace all the MIDI instruments in Badass Boogie.
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby Lampje4life » January 4th, 2010, 8:32 pm

Mine Cartastrophe sounds awesome so far.
The higher notes make it sound good!
Trainee Trekker

PreviousNext

Return to DKC Projects/Fanworks