DKC Atlas Collab - DKC Remix Project

Working on your own project related to the Donkey Kong Country series?
This forum is your place to discuss fangames, artwork, stories and so forth which are DKC relevant.

Re: DKC Atlas Collab - DKC Remix Project

Postby Sockpuppet » August 8th, 2009, 11:40 am

Maybe someone could do an A Capella mix for a bonus track or something. ;)
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 4

Postby BlueTronic » August 8th, 2009, 1:09 pm

Here's the 4/4 version of Bad Boss Boogie I made:
Bad Boss Boogie (Better timing mix).mid
(28.54 KiB) Downloaded 821 times

You can barely tell the difference. No longer will remixers have to put up with the Bad Timing Boogie :P

That was kind of a joke. A Capella can be great though:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5Us1p6qjp8

I was partly joking too. Joke for joke. ;)
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby Lampje4life » August 9th, 2009, 7:31 am

Kong-Fu, you are great :D
Very nice to see people really going for this!

The original is awesome, but indeed timing is like wtf?

Let's keep this project rolling, perhaps we could finish it before the end of 2009!

(Songs I'm looking forward to include 'Dream Blitz', 'Mine Cart-astrophe' and 'Trance Concerto')

EDIT:
Kong-Fu, if you have any sort of instant messaging, please add me: Lampje4life@hotmail.com.
Else you can just email me on that address, it's all good.
It's about the Candy Collab by the way :)

EDIT2:

If any of you would like to hear my style (once more):

http://unrealreno.newgrounds.com/audio/

I'd recommend the following song, it suits my style the best probably.
So you know what you can expect from me in the project ;)

http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/260391
Trainee Trekker

Postby Cosmicman » August 9th, 2009, 10:53 am

[Quote removed by Qyzbud]

I loved every single song you have made, hopefully you won't be disappointed by my tracks.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 91

Postby BlueTronic » August 9th, 2009, 3:03 pm

If you remove that huge quote of the post right before yours, I'm sure no one will be dissapointed. ;)
(Not trying to sound offensive)

Lampje4life wrote:EDIT:
Kong-Fu, if you have any sort of instant messaging, please add me: Lampje4life@hotmail.com.
Else you can just email me on that address, it's all good.
It's about the Candy Collab by the way :)

I have AIM. Do you have an AIM screen name?

Speaking of Candy's theme, I'm merging it with a suprise song. :mrgreen: (Lamp knows already) Don't try to guess what it is because no one here will be familar with it.

(Except possibly one person)
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby CoolStyleE » August 9th, 2009, 3:34 pm

I've been on the "Who's he?" list on this collab and decided to upload a song I made (Using a website Smudge told me about, and I would reccomend it to anyone here) that has NOTHING to do with DKC OR this collab. You can get my "style" as these guys call it in 2009. WHAT HAPPENED TO THE 80'S? Well, who cares? It's almost the 10's. :lol:
http://www.filefactory.com/file/ahebce6 ... t_4_AM_mp3
Hope ya like it.
Trainee Trekker

Postby Qyzbud » August 9th, 2009, 8:48 pm

Lampje4life wrote:Is there any chance Project Members can share their music or hear some WIP's from others aswell?

This is a good idea; it's a nice way to have it feel like more of a collaborative effort, and will let project members share ideas. I recommend asking other remixers for a link to their track(s) via PM, the remixer can accept or decline this request, depending on whether they want to share their progress... However, I suggest that only members who have submitted an accepted WIP to the project should be eligible to hear others' WIPs.

cfh wrote:I came up with an idea for the album name: Live from DK Island
Though that suggests it was all played live.. Songs from DK Island?

I like hearing album name suggestions, keep the ideas coming! I do agree with your reasoning (and Sock's) here, though...
Sockpuppet wrote:It's a possibility, although personally I think it sounds a little generic.

Yep, I'm sure there is a more fitting title out there.

cfh wrote:Here's a bit of my DK Swing remix I was planning to post a while ago:
http://cfhworld.com/dk_swing_wip_demo.MP3

That was nice to listen to. I really like the live instrumentals - they lift the track in a big way. Is this a WIP you're planning to continue with? It has promise! You should keep it under wraps, though... if it's going to be part of this project.

Kong-Fu wrote:
Sockpuppet wrote:Qyzbud - Obviously thinks his life and website are far more important than our project. :evil:

Lol

I laughed, too... then I felt a bit :oops:

But thankfully, CFH and I have both got some ideas fleshed out in WIP form now for our Main Theme collab, and I've made some quiet progress on my Northern Hemispheres remix, so you'll see some more blue on that track claim list soon.

Quick question: I'm thinking of weaving some vocals into my Misty Menace remix... any objections? It's such an understated track with minimal instrumentals and very little in the way of melodies, so I'd like to try something unique to make my mix more notable and interesting. I know there's not much love for vocal remixes around these parts, but hopefully I could do something worth listening to. ;)
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Lampje4life » August 9th, 2009, 10:30 pm

Vocals would be interesting Qyzbud :)

Anyway, is there any (small) chance anyone could make a banner or something to link to this project page?
I'd like to put something like that in my Signature on other forums..
Then we should also get more pageviews and people remember to check the site so now and then ;)
Trainee Trekker

Postby BlueTronic » August 10th, 2009, 10:53 am

Does anyone know any good symphonic VSTs?
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby Sockpuppet » August 10th, 2009, 6:48 pm

Qyzbud wrote:
Lampje4life wrote:Is there any chance Project Members can share their music or hear some WIP's from others aswell?

This is a good idea; it's a nice way to have it feel like more of a collaborative effort, and will let project members share ideas. I recommend asking other remixers for a link to their track(s) via PM, the remixer can accept or decline this request, depending on whether they want to share their progress... However, I suggest that only members who have submitted an accepted WIP to the project should be eligible to hear others' WIPs.

Quick question: I'm thinking of weaving some vocals into my Misty Menace remix... any objections? It's such an understated track with minimal instrumentals and very little in the way of melodies, so I'd like to try something unique to make my mix more notable and interesting. I know there's not much love for vocal remixes around these parts, but hopefully I could do something worth listening to. ;)

Yeah, I guess this is good idea. Maybe if we all have MSN or Skype we could get together occasionally and discuss/share. Or someone could make a temporary forum (I think that's fairly easy to do, though I've never tried it.)

As for the Misty Menace idea, I say go for it! In my opinion vocals can sometimes make a track a lot better. Only if they're done right though. "Lover Reef" is one of my favorite OCReMixes. ;)

Lampje4life wrote:Anyway, is there any (small) chance anyone could make a banner or something to link to this project page?
I'd like to put something like that in my Signature on other forums..
Then we should also get more pageviews and people remember to check the site so now and then ;)

This. A banner would be great. And that reminds me: Once the project is released, should we make a short video advertisement for everyone with a Youtube channel to upload?

Kong-Fu wrote:Does anyone know any good symphonic VSTs?

Dunno about VSTs, but Squidfont is pretty good. You can get it here. You'll need sfpack as well.

Oh, and I'm sorry for apparently ignoring some of your WIPs. I haven't had a lot of time to give them proper listens lately.
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 4

Postby Qyzbud » August 11th, 2009, 2:06 am

Oh, and all remixers; please remember to send links to your WIPs and finished tracks my way, too! Don't worry about ruining the surprise for me - I'm a project coordinator, and I'll be doing the final production work for the album... The sooner I hear your tracks, and have the finished versions, the better. :)
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Lampje4life » August 11th, 2009, 4:46 am

Can't we use a Private IRC Channel?

Like #dkc-atlas.project @ irc.quakenet.org?

Or whatever you wish :D

Ps. Lover Reef is one of the best OCRemixes indeed
Trainee Trekker

Postby BlueTronic » August 11th, 2009, 4:48 am

Sockpuppet wrote:
Kong-Fu wrote:Does anyone know any good symphonic VSTs?

Dunno about VSTs, but Squidfont is pretty good. You can get it here. You'll need sfpack as well.

Sorry, squidfont isn't working for me. There's too much reverb (Which I want the BBB remix to have minimum reverb) and the notes won't go lower than the 4th octave. :( Plus I can't save soundfonts in a project.
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby cfh » August 11th, 2009, 10:59 pm

Hire an orchestra. Shouldn't be too hard, right?

I know someone who plays violin, someone who plays classical bass, and i kinda know someone who plays cello. Does that help? Just double it up a couple times and it could sound great.
cfh
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 6

Postby BlueTronic » August 11th, 2009, 11:55 pm

cfh wrote:Hire an orchestra. Shouldn't be too hard, right?

I know someone who plays violin, someone who plays classical bass, and i kinda know someone who plays cello. Does that help? Just double it up a couple times and it could sound great.

lol
A big orchestra playing Bad Boss Boogie in my backyard? That'd be neat! :mrgreen:

I found an orchestral VST that apparently is really good, but it's $380!? (Hell no :x)
There's a demo. I'll try that.

I've already made a midi that will show pretty much how I want it to sound.
Bad Boss Boogie remix.mid
(2.53 KiB) Downloaded 829 times
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby Sockpuppet » August 16th, 2009, 12:01 pm

Sorry Gnawzooka, Kong-Fu is taking Bad Boss Boogie off you.
(Updated first post. And I've got no idea whether you were joking about the title or not.)
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 4

Postby Gnawzooka » August 16th, 2009, 12:53 pm

That's ok. His idea was much better than my compelte lack of one anyway. :lol:
Seeker of Mysteries
Bananas received 5

Postby Lampje4life » August 17th, 2009, 10:30 pm

Dixie is gone for like 2 weeks starting today, so he won't be around.

We are friends, I know Sockpuppet gave him feedback on his song.
He'll make sure to finish the song after the 2 weeks.

Just to let you know!

Ps. Gangplank is HARD :x
Trainee Trekker

Postby cfh » August 23rd, 2009, 9:52 am

I just noticed how different the GBA version of Treetop rock is, it's like a completely different song :0

Not only are there bass and drums, it actually has more melody in it. It mixes around what was already there and adds a lot of new stuff.. the bass line even does a variation of DK Island Swing's bassline at one point, it's pretty awesome. I like the GBA version much better than the SNES version, so Gnawzooka, if you're up to it I think you should use a lot from GBA version. I'm making a MIDI of it now if you want it ;)
cfh
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 6

Postby Sockpuppet » August 28th, 2009, 10:20 pm

Another Announcement

I have created a temporary forum to make it easier for project members to share their tracks with each other and give feedback. Link is here:
http://z6.invisionfree.com/DKC_Remix_Project/index.php?act=idx

Non-project members can join to and make suggestions about the project, but will be unable to access the Feedback section ('cos it's got a password. HA! :P).

A final deadline has been decided. All tracks must be in by the 1st of October. We're looking at a November release, but a lot of work has to be done between acquiring all the mixes and releasing the project. Good luck!
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 4

Postby FranticFactory64 » August 29th, 2009, 7:23 am

Sorry if this has already been resolved, but I noticed the first page asked for a banner, so I made one. I wasn't sure what dimensions to make it though.
Attachments
Banner.jpg
Banner.jpg (14.54 KiB) Viewed 73783 times
Tourist

Postby cfh » August 29th, 2009, 10:35 am

October 1st? o_o

I'm sure I could get my DK Swing mix in by that date, and hopefully my collab with Kong-Fu too. But what I'm really worried about is my collab with Qyz; I'm wondering if he'll be able to find the time to reach his own deadline. Also, this thread seems pretty dead lately, I don't think many people will make this deadline. Also, even the tracks I *do* finish will still need a bit of tweaking, I'm sure..the deadline seems unrealistic :/

That banner looks pretty good, actually. Just make sure you stick DKC-Atlas in there somewhere, and maybe change the background color so you can see the stereo. And it seems sort of too compressed in quality.

Edit: I'm not getting my registration email for the forum..
cfh
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 6

Postby BlueTronic » August 29th, 2009, 1:43 pm

I *might* be able to finish my Fear Factory and Bad Boss Boogie remixes in that time, but I can't do all that plus Candy's Theme.

Great remixing takes time... My remixing: not so much.
But still, more time than that.
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby FranticFactory64 » August 29th, 2009, 1:48 pm

Here's an updated banner, now including the DKC Atlas logo and a few bananas. :D
Attachments
Banner.png
Tourist

Postby Gnawzooka » August 29th, 2009, 3:13 pm

Other than the horrible quality of the DKC logo it's pretty good.
Seeker of Mysteries
Bananas received 5

Postby Sockpuppet » August 29th, 2009, 8:22 pm

Alright then, forget about the deadline for now. I'll sort something else out. Now that I think about it I'm not sure I can meet it either. :lol:

Thank you so much for the banner FranticFactory! :D If you can fix the quality of the logo, that'd be great.

cfh wrote:Edit: I'm not getting my registration email for the forum..

Fixed. ;)
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 4

Postby FranticFactory64 » August 30th, 2009, 8:27 am

Here is the updated banner with a cleaned up DKC logo. I think it looks pretty good, and this time I saved each part of the file, so making a new one shouldn't be as hard. I might make more with themes from different levels soon if I have the time.
Attachments
Banner1.png
Tourist

Postby Sockpuppet » August 30th, 2009, 12:07 pm

Yep, that's better! It's not perfect, but it's still a good job. :D

Test:

EDIT: Apparently it's a bit big. :(
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 4

Postby FranticFactory64 » August 30th, 2009, 3:43 pm

Success! I found a way to save it as a high quality gif. :D GIMP is my new best friend.

DKCBanner.gif
DKCBanner.gif (39.64 KiB) Viewed 73687 times
Tourist

Postby Sockpuppet » August 30th, 2009, 4:01 pm

Cool. :D But it's still too big.
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 4

Postby FranticFactory64 » August 31st, 2009, 5:26 am

Could you be more specific about what size it should be (length+width or kB)? :D Also should I take down my old ones since they're just taking up space?

Edit: Here is a special banner I made, involving DKC GBC graphics, DK getting angry, and Diddy frantically trying to find a use for his barrel. :lol:
Also, sorry for changing this to a thread about banners. :|
Attachments
SpecialBanner.gif
Tourist

Postby Sockpuppet » August 31st, 2009, 5:40 pm

Ha, I like the GB one! Nice job!

As for the size, I think roughly 400x70 pixels would be good.
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 4

Postby FranticFactory64 » September 1st, 2009, 12:40 pm

I finally found some time to make a new banner. I decided to stick with the GBC theme since it has the smallest, highest quality title logo (the GBC version seems to be the only one with this logo, actually), and they're much easier to make than pictures using SNES DKC graphics. I had to make it 400 x 80 pixels to make the DKC Logo fit, and I decided to change the Atlas logo to the site's address in the bottom corner, since it takes up less space that way.
Attachments
DKCRemixedSnow.gif
DKCRemixedSnow.gif (8.21 KiB) Viewed 73680 times
Tourist

Postby Sockpuppet » September 7th, 2009, 5:31 pm

C'mon guys, I made the forum for a reason. Kong-Fu and Lampje are the only ones using it. I'll have my first Life in the Mines WIP up within the next few days.

Nice work on the new banner FranticFactory! I reckon that's good enough to use now. ;) Any chance of a shrunken version of the Jungle one?
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 4

Postby FranticFactory64 » September 8th, 2009, 8:13 am

Sockpuppet wrote:Any chance of a shrunken version of the Jungle one?

A very high chance, actually. :D Here's a scaled down version, 400x70 pixels.
Attachments
smlbanner.gif
smlbanner.gif (15.99 KiB) Viewed 73606 times
Tourist

Postby Cody » September 8th, 2009, 2:18 pm

Hi, I'd love to remix Forest Frenzy if it's not already taken (the front page has it blank).
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 62

Postby Sockpuppet » September 8th, 2009, 5:33 pm

Alright! Thanks Cody! :D

And thank you for the banners, FranticFactory! Advertising time, methinks.

[url=http://www.dkc-atlas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=739][img]http://www.dkc-atlas.com/forum/download/file.php?id=955[/img*][/url*] (Jungle)

[url=http://www.dkc-atlas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=739][img]http://www.dkc-atlas.com/forum/download/file.php?id=951[/img*][/url*] (8-bit Snow)

Remember to remove the asterisks. :)
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 4

Postby Cody » September 8th, 2009, 6:38 pm

No problem, I'm really glad you'd even consider letting me remix it! :lol:

Are there any particular guidelines as to how the track should sound? I haven't read the whole thread, so I'm not sure about that.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 62

Postby Sockpuppet » September 8th, 2009, 6:59 pm

Nope, no guidelines. =) Just as long as you make it from scratch (ie. Don't rip a MIDI or place instruments over the top of the original audio.)
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 4

Postby Cody » September 8th, 2009, 7:03 pm

Sockpuppet wrote:Nope, no guidelines. =) Just as long as you make it from scratch (ie. Don't rip a MIDI or place instruments over the top of the original audio.)

Aww, rules out both my plans. Haha, just kidding. Thanks for the info, I reckon my mix's gonna be done soon. :D

Edit: Just curious, here: when do you expect a WIP?
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 62

Postby Lampje4life » September 8th, 2009, 9:18 pm

Hey Cody, nice to see you here!

You should have a look at the private forums, the link is in the first post and Sockpuppet will give you the password for it.
The other members should go there too :roll:

Good luck with your song!
Trainee Trekker

Postby Cody » September 9th, 2009, 4:21 am

Thanks! I've literally spent the past 12 hours on it (well, save 2 hours in which I went to school for my first class and came back, haha). Life in the Pines is going to be an interesting remix indeed. :D
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 62

Postby Sockpuppet » September 9th, 2009, 4:13 pm

Cody wrote:Just curious, here: when do you expect a WIP?

I haven't set any new dates yet, so just as soon as you can. ;) I'll PM you the forum password.

Cody wrote:Life in the Pines...

Nice. I :lol:'d.

EDIT: O.K, my first WIP is up! Go and review it on the forums please. :D
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 4

Postby Lampje4life » September 9th, 2009, 9:39 pm

Anyone interested in helping with the Gangplank Collab?
Maybe a stolen idea, but perhaps fun if many people did their part on it :)

The 'opening sequence' part of the track is still fully open, haven't really worked on that yet!
Trainee Trekker

Postby BlueTronic » September 10th, 2009, 11:57 am

I would, but I already feel like I'm hogging the project. I have 2 solo mixes and 2 collabs, none of which are finished.

How much do you have done?
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby Sockpuppet » September 10th, 2009, 6:13 pm

Lampje4life wrote:Anyone interested in helping with the Gangplank Collab?
Maybe a stolen idea, but perhaps fun if many people did their part on it :)

I agree, a megacollab would be great! I'll see if I can come up with anything. I'm not very good at making dance though. I guess I'll send you some ideas and you can arrange them. ;)

Kong-Fu wrote:I would, but I already feel like I'm hogging the project. I have 2 solo mixes and 2 collabs, none of which are finished.

Don't worry about it, I don't mind. :lol: You and Lampje are the hardest workers on the project.
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 4

Postby Lampje4life » September 10th, 2009, 7:03 pm

If you happen to have an(y) idea, please share! :)

Liked your Life in the Mines track Sockpuppet!
The Gankplank WIP (very basic) is on the Private Forums aswell.

EDIT:

Sockp.. If you want to make the intro of the Gangplank song, it would be great.
After hearing your LitM, we know you are very suited for that job :)!
Trainee Trekker

Postby Cody » September 11th, 2009, 7:21 am

Unfrotunately, I'm still having trouble finding the hidden forum. I go to the forum on the first link, but there's nowhere to log in? :|
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 62

Postby BlueTronic » September 11th, 2009, 7:41 am

How can you not find it? It's in plain sight. Here's a link anyway: http://z6.invisionfree.com/DKC_Remix_Pr ... in&CODE=00
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

PreviousNext

Return to DKC Projects/Fanworks