DKC Official Renders and Documents - starting a gallery

Working on your own project related to the Donkey Kong Country series?
This forum is your place to discuss fangames, artwork, stories and so forth which are DKC relevant.

DKC Official Renders and Documents - starting a gallery

Postby Qyzbud » September 6th, 2008, 2:38 pm

Kiddy has already started a topic dealing with the less-common DKC renders out there, and I've been talking with Cyclone (and recently, Rodent) about the idea of setting up an online gallery with the ultimate collection of official DKC images, documents and other visual media. Let's use this topic as a discussion of this not-yet-built gallery, as well as a spot to discuss and share sources for such media.

Edit: this may or may not become part of DKC Atlas, but I'm certainly considering that possibility.
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Re: DKC Official Renders and Documents - starting a gallery

Postby Rodent » September 6th, 2008, 2:49 pm

I've been spending most of today collecting artwork. When I finish one the two sites I'm currently on, I'll upload it and provide a link. From there, we can decide what we still need to find and what we need better images of.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 3

Postby Simion32 » September 6th, 2008, 3:13 pm

How odd, just today I was looking for high-resolution DKC images. I didn't find a lot that I haven't already seen, though... in particular, I was searching for the DKC logo such as this:
dkc.jpg
dkc.jpg (13.92 KiB) Viewed 45471 times

...but I have yet to find a decent (non-blurry) image of this logo that doesn't have obstructions. I have tried to find a good quality version several times, and failed (unless this could be fixed using Photoshop or something like that). Even that image was surprisingly difficult to find. :|

I'll go ahead and help out with the effort, as I've already archived a bunch of high-res DKC images.
I've uploaded them on Megaupload, here's the link: DKC Picture Album

EDIT: I just realized there is an image in there which I've edited called "Dixie Kong with MY Pin, Not Rare's.PNG"... for some reason I felt like attaching my logo to Dixie's hat... :lol:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Rodent » September 6th, 2008, 3:31 pm

I couldn't download your folder... Do I need to be a member?
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 3

Postby Simion32 » September 6th, 2008, 3:35 pm

Megaupload will make you wait for a few seconds (usually 45 or so) before the download button appears. Look for the counter, and when it finishes it turns into the download button.

Also, it's a RAR archive, so you'd need WinRAR to open it.

EDIT: you might have to have adobe flash installed for their site to work...
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Rodent » September 6th, 2008, 3:50 pm

I saw the download button, but no code. :S

My folder is 50% uploaded. Simions dwarfs mine. :(
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 3

Postby Simion32 » September 6th, 2008, 4:02 pm

Rodent wrote:Simions dwarfs mine
I've collected them over time, so there are a lot in there. Not only are there DKC images, but there are also DKJB and Konga pictures in there, as well as some DKL stuff and some posters that (Qyzbud... ?) posted somewhere (on the DKU i think).

It also has PDF's of all three DKC Trilogy Instruction Booklets, that could be what's taking up the majority of the space... :roll:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Simion32 » September 6th, 2008, 4:24 pm

Nice, you got most of the basic pictures (if you could call them basic, I guess).

I see that you also found that fake DKC4 Wii box-art... the first time I saw that, I was a little surprised. But if you look closely, it just uses artwork from other games. Oh, how I WISH that was real... :roll:

Take a look at these huge (real) box-art pictures that I forgot to include in my upload.... they are all Player's choice boxes too!
(each picture is about 200KB)
http://gameinfo.com.br/games/data11/GC-278-L-5092.jpg
http://gameinfo.com.br/games/data12/GC-317-L-6650.jpg
http://gameinfo.com.br/games/data21/GC-318-L-5346.jpg
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Cody » September 7th, 2008, 11:01 am

"Trixie Kong" :roll:

Thanks for all the artwork everyone, I love it!

Edit: Simion, there is one render in your artwork folder in which I have a more complete version of: DKC2 Castle.

http://img370.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... tlehz9.png
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 62

Postby Cyclone » September 7th, 2008, 11:53 am

I have spent a few months and hours and hours scouring the net for DKC artwork and making scans. I have had this idea for awhile now of making a gallery which is part of my non-dkc website. I was going to post what I have when its online and anyone can use the artwork as part of a DKC Atlas gallery or their own projects.

One thing that I think is important when posting DKC artwork/links here is to give credit to the original scanner and person who found the artwork. I have recently started doing this when adding to my DKC artwork collection but unfortunately I lost track of lot of the sources when I first started.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 559

Postby Rodent » September 7th, 2008, 12:46 pm

That's probably a good idea. I've got both of my sources still handy, so we can acknowledge them when we finish.

Anyway, we should get into it now and make some lists of what we need. I propose we make ourselves an easy starting point: Kremling artwork from Donkey Kong Country. I'll make a list of what we need, and we can check it off as we find the artwork. If you've found something from the list that is missing, just post or PM a mod/Qyz and they'll maybe edit it. I dunno, they might now. :P

Spoiler!
Army
Bitesize

Chomps
Chomps Jr.
Clambo
Croctopus
Dumb Drum
Gnawty
King K. Rool - One image is missing, the one where he looks like he is boxing
Klaptrap
Klump
Kritter
Krusha
Manky Kong
Master Necky
Master Necky Snr.
Mini-Necky
Necky
Queen B.
Really Gnawty
Rockroc
Slippa - missing a render, not the side on view but the one where it shows the whole snake
Squidge
Very Gnawty
Zinger
Bold = Pictures we need to find.
If you find any better quality ones than in my folder (Still yet to look at Simions), PM me and I'll put it in the folder as a replacement.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 3

Postby Qyzbud » September 9th, 2008, 3:12 pm

Rodent, thanks for taking the initiative; the list above is a nice idea for kick-starting things. I'll put something like this in the first post once I find the opportunity to organise things a bit. Most of those you bolded are in the Players Guide, so Cyclone and I have access to them... and in fact, most digital copies out there of these old renders are low-res, highly compressed JPEGs, so Cyclone's scans will likely end up being better than much of what's available on the 'net at present.

I may be able to develop a system which displays thumbnails (linked to full pictures) and resolution/filesize info of all DKC renders I currently have, and let anyone upload additional images. I could be the one to remove any clearly inferior copies, and to organise viewing categories (SNES Era > DKC > Baddies ...etc.), but anyone could upload to the directory, and newly added files would immediately be visible, and shown prominently, to make it easy to work out what we do/don't have, without needing to comb through pages of thumbnails over and over again.

I currently have around 2 GB of DKC renders/scans etc., so I had better do some sorting, and/or upgrade my server storage space before uploading all of my collection, and encouraging others to do the same...

Wow, if I only ever did things revolving around Donkey Kong Country, I'd still have a lifetime worth of stuff to keep me occupied... :lol:
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Cyclone » September 10th, 2008, 10:11 am

That upload system sounds like a good idea.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 559

Postby Qyzbud » September 10th, 2008, 1:18 pm

Cool, I'll work on that system. Once it's up and running I'll keep an eye on my server space and bandwidth, and if things start to get out of hand, maybe we could base it on your server, Cyclone? Hopefully it won't be a problem, but user submissions are hard to predict.

Also Cyclone, I know that you have a pretty impressive collection of hi-res scans, and was thinking that perhaps if we mirror this project between our two servers, you could exclusively host the full resolution scans, and I would have reduced size versions (but still high quality, of course). I could provide an optional link to the full-res scan on your server - for users who want the highest possible quality, and you could perhaps do something similar for those who want a more manageably-sized image, which will be smaller/quicker to download.

As for the gallery design, I think that if we do each host a mirror of the collection (sounds like we will, which is good), there would be no need to have them formatted or structured the same way, or even similarly... I would almost certainly do my formatting similarly to how the snapshot galleries are presented on the level info pages. I'd have to work on structure/categories a fair bit, but the presentation and Lightbox viewer system would be pretty much perfect for what I'm thinking. You could do whatever you please with design at your end, but I'd be happy to share any handy image/directory handling scripts I discover or develop.
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Cyclone » October 12th, 2008, 7:54 am

I'm starting to design a version of the DKC gallery. Does anyone have any suggestions on how it should look? Do you DK fans have any preferences?

Thanks!
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 559

Postby Jomingo » October 13th, 2008, 10:07 am

Trees. Big green trees.

Perhaps that is a project that deserves it's own thread?
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby The Guy » October 16th, 2008, 11:14 am

Simion32 wrote:Nice, you got most of the basic pictures (if you could call them basic, I guess).

I see that you also found that fake DKC4 Wii box-art... the first time I saw that, I was a little surprised. But if you look closely, it just uses artwork from other games. Oh, how I WISH that was real... :roll:

Take a look at these huge (real) box-art pictures that I forgot to include in my upload.... they are all Player's choice boxes too!
(each picture is about 200KB)
http://gameinfo.com.br/games/data11/GC-278-L-5092.jpg
http://gameinfo.com.br/games/data12/GC-317-L-6650.jpg
http://gameinfo.com.br/games/data21/GC-318-L-5346.jpg

I noticed something minor on the boxes...

Look carefully: You can see a Krusha, a Kruncha, and a Krumple on the box on the games they appear in respectivly.
Veteran Venturer

Postby Cyclone » October 20th, 2008, 8:53 am

Does anyone else have some ideas? I want to try to make this gallery pretty decent.

I could start a seperate thread. Should I Qyzbud?
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 559

Postby CM August » October 20th, 2008, 5:11 pm

Rodent wrote:King K. Rool - One image is missing, the one where he looks like he is boxing

Spoiler!

If there's a higher-quality version of this picture I'd like to know about it, but this is the closest I could manage.

Hopefully we can get a version without the 'million seller' label obscuring Crocodile Isle.
Jungle Explorer

Postby Qyzbud » October 20th, 2008, 7:43 pm

Cyclone wrote:Does anyone else have some ideas? I want to try to make this gallery pretty decent.

I could start a seperate thread. Should I Qyzbud?

You are most welcome to use this topic for all gallery brainstorming. That's quite why it's here. ;)
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Mattrizzle » October 20th, 2008, 8:51 pm

CM August wrote:

Hopefully we can get a version without the 'million seller' label obscuring Crocodile Isle.

I have the original box, if no one minds that it's a little worn on the edges. When there is an empty spot in my schedule I'll try to scan it.
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 221

Postby edevore » October 25th, 2008, 6:44 am

@Simion32/@all
This is the best I can do:

I hope that this one helps.

EDIT: Anyone May Use This!
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 2

Postby Simion32 » October 25th, 2008, 7:00 am

Yeah, that's great! How did you get it? :)
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby edevore » October 25th, 2008, 7:18 am

I designed it in flash.

Here is my game logo:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 2

Postby PotoGamer » October 26th, 2008, 11:55 am

I don't know if any of you already have this, but I decided I should post it, after all, I haven't it seen it in many places. I don't remember where I found it, but I found it 2 to 3 years ago.
Attachments
DKC3 - Kiddy and Ellie.jpg
DKC3 - Kiddy riding Ellie
DKC3 - Kiddy and Ellie.jpg (33.62 KiB) Viewed 45144 times
Trailblazer

Postby edevore » October 27th, 2008, 2:44 am

Here is the DKC Wii Wad Rip That I Uploaded (Link Below In Spoiler):

It has all "DKC" resources used in the "Nintendo Wii" menu's, anyway its here.. but.. may not be any use though...

I am not sure if this would be any use to anyone except if you want to make your own "Sii" (/Wii) menu using some other software then this can be very useful if so.
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 2

Postby Gnawzooka » October 28th, 2008, 5:20 pm

@Poto: The day of the apocalypse is the day that babies are bigger than elephants. :shock:
Seeker of Mysteries
Bananas received 5

Postby PotoGamer » October 29th, 2008, 10:36 am

I can't believe I never noticed that, but I think it's the angle at which it's shown...or maybe he IS bigger than Ellie! :o

Oh, and I hope you guys like this! ;)
Attachments
DKC3 - Arich Attack! (Render [Pleasantville Version]).jpg
DKC3 - Arich Attack! I edited the render in Photoshop!
DKC3 - Arich Attack! (Render [Pleasantville Version]).jpg (131.97 KiB) Viewed 44973 times
Trailblazer

Postby gamer_boy997 » October 29th, 2008, 12:40 pm

That's pretty nice Poto, and wow, Kiddy bigger than an elephant? I never noticed that :oops: .
Seeker of Secrets
Bananas received 2

Postby Gnawzooka » October 29th, 2008, 4:49 pm

I'm not certain of it, but he's pretty damn close.
Seeker of Mysteries
Bananas received 5

Postby Gaz » October 20th, 2012, 9:40 am

Bump! Found a rare render;
DK IN TREEHOUSE.png
DK IN TREEHOUSE.png (429.9 KiB) Viewed 43171 times
Gaz
Taster of Pork
Bananas received 47

Return to DKC Projects/Fanworks