DKC related artwork — post your masterpieces!

Working on your own project related to the Donkey Kong Country series?
This forum is your place to discuss fangames, artwork, stories and so forth which are DKC relevant.

Re: DKC related artwork - post your masterpieces!

Postby MrsQyzbud » December 14th, 2012, 10:25 pm

My first attempt at DKC art in water colours - I did it specially for ♥ Qyzbud ♥
Also one of the first things for me to draw/paint in about 5 years!

Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 20

Postby Qyzbud » December 14th, 2012, 11:29 pm

Babe, he's awesome! :D

Thanks for drawing him for me... you captured his essence perfectly.

I ♥ him! (and you ;) )
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Super Luigi! » December 18th, 2012, 3:29 pm

I especially love the way you drew Diddy's mouth and fur, Mrs. Qyzbud. Those details give him a quality that I've never seen on Diddy before. Excellent job!
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 301

Postby Soniccuz » December 21st, 2012, 7:58 am

Seems I've been spriting again.

I continuation of the avatar/mugshot series.

The whole batch in their original size.

Blown up:
Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Edit: Hm, comparing them to the older one's I went over board with the color or texture, need to restrict myself more on them.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 17

Postby MrsQyzbud » December 28th, 2012, 7:55 pm

Super Luigi! wrote:I especially love the way you drew Diddy's mouth and fur, Mrs. Qyzbud. Those details give him a quality that I've never seen on Diddy before. Excellent job!

Thanks Chibisai! I was drawing him from a black and white picture book so I had to kind of wing it with colours, etc. ^.^
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 20

Postby Phyreburnz » January 11th, 2013, 6:48 am

I was able to re-create the image of Diddy and Dixie playing a Game Boy. I used the image of them playing a GBA (the render Rareware used for the GBA release of DKC2) and I took a picture of my Game Boy in (roughly) the same position as it was for the original image.

diddy playing gameboy copy.jpg
diddy playing gameboy copy.jpg (101.62 KiB) Viewed 239900 times

The original image in the manual:
Spoiler!
diddy playing gameboy original.jpg
diddy playing gameboy original.jpg (172.93 KiB) Viewed 239900 times

Here's the one of them playing GBA:
Spoiler!
diddy playing gameboy advanced.jpg
diddy playing gameboy advanced.jpg (100.75 KiB) Viewed 239900 times

And for those of you that are curious... yes, I did pop in my cart of DKL2, although you can't tell in the picture at all :P Let me know what you think!
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Qyzbud » January 11th, 2013, 9:49 am

Brilliant job as usual, Phyre! You could have said this was recently discovered official artwork, and I might have believed you... My only doubt would have been based on knowing how good you are with Photoshop! :lol:

I especially love this because I played DKL on that original Game Boy years ago, and have very fond memories of it... and because I adore Diddy and Dixie. :D

Thanks for making this and sharing it with us all! :banana:
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Ribbedebie » January 13th, 2013, 9:17 am

Phyreburnz: Hee hee aww, I remember the one of them playing on an old game boy! I had Donkey Kong Land II before I had Donkey Kong Country 2 and I wondered where that render went. Your edit looks amazing, it does look very official. Nice work.~

Qyzbud: Thanks for your kind words on my K. Rool animation, and aww, the way you coloured that adorable Krusha is wonderful!~ I'm quite a fan of Lawlzy's artwork, she's got a really cool and interesting art style. Would be awesome if she joined this forum, for sure.~

MrsQyzbud: Aww, that Diddy's adorable! Watercolours are so pretty. 0w0 Glad to hear Mr. Qyzbud likes it too, hehe.

Soniccuz: Those sprites look really nifty! I always like seeing spritework. Looks very crisp.~

Hehehe.~ As for me, well, I've been busy. Art-wise. It's the only thing I'm ever busy at.

Another animated thing I made! Klump this time, and awww, he's yawning! Adowable widdle sweepyhead. *w* (Eeyup, I think Klump's adorable. Just watch the DKC cartoon, episode "Klump's Lumps" and you'll see why. :T )

A quick, fun little Diddy Kong I doodled after I drew a really detailed landscape. I like doodling quick things after time-consuming digital paintings. (funny thing is though, the little doodles usually get more views and favourites than the detailed ones. :P )

And what a lot of people do not know is that I like the Tikis too! I might've been a bit skeptical about them in the past but now I adore them, mostly thanks to someone on DeviantART who draws them in the cutest ways. This was an art trade with her, she drew Klump for me in return 8D

Aaand... I think that's it.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 57

Postby Cyclone » January 13th, 2013, 10:32 am

I like them. I like the colouring on the tiki. :thumbs:
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 559

Postby Qyzbud » January 13th, 2013, 10:40 am

Oh Ribbe, that new animation is lovely! Such a cute little yawn. ^_^ It'd make a great update for your avatar! If you have any trouble keeping it within the file size limit, let me know and I'll help out. :)

Thanks for the feedback about my Lawlzy Versiris colour WIP — glad you like it so far! I'll have to remind her to come fill this topic with awesomeness.

Just so you know, I always appreciate the detailed landscape paintings, so I hope you don't feel like they're a waste of time!
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Cyclone » January 13th, 2013, 10:59 am

Phyreburnz wrote:I was able to re-create the image of Diddy and Dixie playing a Game Boy. I used the image of them playing a GBA (the render Rareware used for the GBA release of DKC2) and I took a picture of my Game Boy in (roughly) the same position as it was for the original image.

diddy playing Game Boy copy.jpg

The original image in the manual:
Spoiler!
diddy playing Game Boy original.jpg

Here's the one of them playing GBA:
Spoiler!
diddy playing Game Boy advanced.jpg

And for those of you that are curious... yes, I did pop in my cart of DKL2, although you can't tell in the picture at all :P Let me know what you think!

Am I missing something? I thought I saw those 'Official' Rareware renders before? what did you do to make them different?
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 559

Postby Qyzbud » January 13th, 2013, 11:39 am

Phyreburnz added those official renders in spoilers for our reference. Her edit was the unspoilered one — a high quality, full colour image of the Kongs with the original Game Boy (which was from a photo she herself took). I don't think there's a full colour pic of the Kongs with the original Game Boy out there other than this excellent edit by Phyreburnz. :)
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Chibisai Kong » January 25th, 2013, 2:41 pm

Oh, I love all these arts! Very well done, everyone!

In other news, I feel terribly bad that I haven't been fanning over Donkey Kong like I used to. (Once again, I blame Doctor Who.)

HOWEVER!

I plan to do something special, though I currently have several projects going on, but I can do this in school. But I need y'all's help.

Spoiler!
I've recently been listening to a song by 30 Seconds To Mars called This Is War. I was wanting to assign each of the twelve Kongs a description from the song but I am having trouble figuring out what to give to who. The choices are:

Good
Soldier
Civilian
Martyr
Victim
Prophet
Liar
Honest
Leader
Pariah
Victor
Messiah

I will be very pleased if you can give me any suggestions for what to give to who. Reasons are not necessary but helpful. I will credit you when the pictures are posted!
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 21

Postby EvangeliKong » January 25th, 2013, 5:22 pm

Let's see:
Good: Diddy
Soldier: Chunky
Civilian: Kiddy
Martyr: Tiny
Victim: Wrinkly
Prophet: Cranky
Liar: Swanky
Honest: Candy
Leader: Donkey
Pariah: Funky
Victor: Dixie
Messiah: Donkey Kong Jr
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 3

Postby Soniccuz » January 26th, 2013, 11:24 am

Hm, Chunky for liar as his cowards belies his strength.
I'd put Donkey and Cranky the same places EvangeliKong does. Leader, He's the leader of the bunch you know him well..., and Prophet.
Funky's a real wild card could be solider, going off his weapon expertise in DK64 though it doesn't go with his typical attitude, victor, seems to excel at whatever he does.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 17

Postby Geno » February 9th, 2013, 11:57 am

In Art class, our first assignment was to display the 4 "Concepts of art" using 4 letters.

I first chose BEAT (the BEAT letters from Mega Man IV (GB)), but I couldn't figure out anything out for 'A'.
Then, the N64 logo popped into my head.

So now it reads 'BENT'. :facepalm:

Anyhow, for 'texture' and 'N', I chose to do something spiky.
DKC2 style brambles! (With a couple Barrel Cannons thrown in there too!)

I will post a scan of it as soon as I get it back, as I'm pretty happy with it and I want to see what you guys think of it.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 57

Postby Ribbedebie » March 5th, 2013, 6:50 am

Hm... I have not drawn a lot of DKC art recently. A certain cartoon has taken over my life instead. (I know, it's weird! I still love DK, though!)

So here's DK and Diddy in said show's style. Can you guess which show I'm referring to? (no cheating by looking in my DA or Tumblr!!1)

Oh, why, I've been working on a big picture. It features the Queen Banana Bird from DKC3. Here's a sneak preview.

It is made as an illustration for a theory I have that helps with how I combine the games' with the cartoon's continuity... more about that some day when I'm not tired, haha.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 57

Postby Qyzbud » March 5th, 2013, 10:22 am

I don't know the show (although it looks wonderfully oddball in your illustration!), but I love the Banana Bird Queen preview — can't wait to see the final piece. :D
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Ribbedebie » March 28th, 2013, 2:58 am

Thank you!~ Psst- the cartoon's actually Regular Show, which is a lot of fun to watch, in my opinion at least. x3

Oh, and as for artwork, let me show y'all some detailed pic I drew yesterday, while listening to Two Worlds, the piece from Disney's Tarzan, in Dutch and Flemish. Sure some of ya have seen it already but I thought it'd be cool to show it here as well. :)

And well, King K. Rool. xP
The way I see the guy, he's retired from villainy and is now just a mellow dude who likes his peace and quiet. He's also quite proud of his girth. Personality-wise, he's a lot more like his cartoon incarnation instead of the games.

And you know the 'What if I told you...' meme? Well, I drew my own version of that one. x3
Starring Funky Kong in his TV show looks. I thought it'd be funny ;___;

I think that's it for now.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 57

Postby virus_bass » May 7th, 2013, 10:34 am

So much time since my last visit here
Thanks for your nice words Ribbedebie, I've seen some of your works too on DA :thumbs:
Here something I did a long time ago for a fanzine with friends
http://yoshiky.deviantart.com/art/Donke ... 6631&qo=62
Tourist
Bananas received 2

Postby sonosublime » May 14th, 2013, 10:50 pm

Wow, those are awesome Ribbedebie.

EDIT: Your pic is pretty awesome as well virus_bass

I didn't draw this, but I had to share, because it's so damn epic.

Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 228

Postby Qyzbud » May 15th, 2013, 1:17 pm

Woah, that's awesome. Possibly my favourite anthropomorphism of those two yet!

That mining masterpiece is Mining Melancholy by ~lokiescape, for those wondering.

Thanks for sharing. :D

virus_bass wrote:Here something I did a long time ago for a fanzine with friends
http://yoshiky.deviantart.com/art/Donke ... 6631&qo=62

Hey, I like it! Nice design. I'd love to see a coloured version. ;)

Feel free to post the image itself in this topic — more people will see it that way!
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby sonosublime » May 16th, 2013, 12:09 am

Qyzbud wrote:Woah, that's awesome. Possibly my favourite anthropomorphism of those two yet!

That mining masterpiece is Mining Melancholy by ~lokiescape, for those wondering.

Thanks for sharing. :D

I know, right? :) I wonder what the human variants of the rest of the Kong crew would look like. Off to Google!
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 228

Postby Super Luigi! » May 16th, 2013, 8:16 am

I remember seeing that picture a long time ago, sonosublime, but thanks for uploading it here so that we all could marvel in its glory!

As for myself, again, I have no artwork to share.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 301

Postby Ribbedebie » June 1st, 2013, 2:00 am

Human versions? I actually drew most of the cast from DKC (the cartoon, at least) as humans a while ago. It's pretty old and I'm better at it now so I'll spare you guys. xD

I did however finish that thing with the Banana Bird Queen.

Detailed backstory can be found here. :P
Trailblazer
Bananas received 57

Postby sonosublime » June 1st, 2013, 8:10 pm

Whoa! That's amazing! I'm pretty jealous. My drawing skills amount to stick figures :P
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 228

Postby [KJ]StErOiDs » October 4th, 2013, 11:45 pm

The coloring in your artwork is always enchanting, Ribbedebie. =)

Here's something that's not quite in season, but I call it the "Kong Days of Summer"

Newcomer
Bananas received 3

Postby Qyzbud » October 5th, 2013, 9:43 am

Wowsers! KJ, that's fantastic! I don't know how I missed it when you posted it on dA back in '11 (or how I managed to fail to notice it every time I took a peek in your gallery between then and now) but I'm glad you eventually found a way to bring it to my attention! :lol:

Although it pains me to see Dixie in strife (an understatement in this case!) — and being completely ignored by her soulmonkey — I love seeing your adorable artwork in motion. :D

The way you've lit Diddy with the lightning flash deserves special mention; it's an excellent finishing touch that ties the scene together marvelously. Bravo!

:thumbs:
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Super Luigi! » October 5th, 2013, 4:19 pm

Yes, I remember observing this very picture years ago. It's indeed a masterpiece, as are all of your other deviations.
Spoiler!
So, you really are the same kjsteroids that I've been stalking following on Deviantart. You've been here for five years at least, and two out of your three posts were today. There's nothing wrong with that; I'm just stating the obvious.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 301

Postby MrsQyzbud » November 6th, 2013, 10:19 pm

Qyzbud said I should upload this - it's just a doodle I was doing in class while bored :mrgreen:

Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 20

Postby Super Luigi! » November 7th, 2013, 3:21 am

:rant: I'd be able to critique your class work further if that blasted book wasn't in the way! In all honesty, what I can see is very surreal. Great job MrsQyzbud!
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 301

Postby K.Rool the Krool » January 29th, 2014, 2:32 pm

My rendition of what DKC might look like in HD with remastered SNES assets:
Attachments
DKC-HD.jpg
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 3

Postby Phyreburnz » February 16th, 2014, 5:48 pm

I did some digging and tried to find an image of just the mine cart render from DKC. I found somebody's fake render of just pasting a Kritter in it and calling it Krash. So I did my best to erase that and have what is probably as close as you can possibly get to the real mine cart render.

cart.png
cart.png (119.57 KiB) Viewed 238771 times

This also got me thinking... the fake Krash render is really just a copy-paste job... so why not make one that looks more legit? I'm not completely done with this, just yet... I think I have to make him smaller.

krash.png
krash.png (178.91 KiB) Viewed 238771 times
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Kimi Kong » March 1st, 2014, 3:15 am

So, i decided a while back that i was gonna draw a manga adaption to Captain Spock's DKC fanfiction "Diddy's Kong Quest" and i recently got back into working on the characters and trying to get more of the manga done.

Here is what Diddy and Dixie look like":

I forgot to draw his tail until it was too late but i havent forgotten about it.

I'm honestly not too proud of this picture of Dixie mainly because i drew a way cuter one of her way back when. But she still is pretty cute.

EDIT: Drew this with twelve hours of posting this~!

I'm actually proud of this one~!
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 136

Postby Super Luigi! » March 1st, 2014, 2:55 pm

:dixiecry: Your three pictures are beautiful, Kimi Kong! I examined each picture for at least 30 seconds, admiring the detail of each, while holding back tears. I feel so ashamed. :shakehead: But never mind me! :thumbs: I don't have any art to share, so my input isn't important! We're here to talk about you and the other DKC artists! :dixiehappy: Kimi Kong, you are right about the Kongs' cuteness. I just want to stare at and hug them both! In particular, I really appreciate how you "redesigned" , so to speak, and drew Dixie's outfit! Once again, thank you, and may you continue to impress not only us, but yourself with your artwork! :diddywink:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 301

Postby Kimi Kong » March 1st, 2014, 3:21 pm

:dixiecry: I feel touched that you loved them so much, Super Luigi!. Thank you.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 136

Postby Kimi Kong » March 2nd, 2014, 1:19 pm

Sorry for the double post, but i have another picture. Idea given to me bySuper Luigi!

Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 136

Postby Super Luigi! » March 2nd, 2014, 1:56 pm

Unbelievable. Simply unbelievable! You've done it again, Kimi Kong! You know, I wish I could give you more than these bananas! :banana: Like I told you before, Diddy is so smooth. He's so intimidating, yet comforting at the same time. I almost feel like Dixie just looking at him. Almost! :diddywink: And speaking of Dixie, she's just as beautiful as your last painting of her, if not more! :dixiehappy: Again, I really do appreciate your vision of Dixie and Diddy. I can't see much room for improvement (though as an intermediate artist myself, I know there always is!), so I'm just going to say, "Excellent job once again, Kimi Kong! You make your family and your (DK) country proud!" :thumbs:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 301

Postby The Winged Cap » March 29th, 2014, 6:40 pm

Just finished my new profile image, drawn on my 3DS. Hope people like it, this is pretty much my first successful Kong.
Constructive criticism anyone?
Attachments
The Winged Cap.png
The Winged Cap.png (136.71 KiB) Viewed 238546 times
Tourist
Bananas received 22

Postby Ribbedebie » March 30th, 2014, 12:13 am

Haven't been here in ages...

Anyway, here's a drawing I did not too recently. It's my interpretation of what DK supposes the Big Bog Monster from the cartoon looks like. Hehe.

Also (spoiler for Tropical Freeze); the boss of the second world!
Spoiler!
Trailblazer
Bananas received 57

Postby Cyclone » March 30th, 2014, 11:39 am

Great work. I really love that owl boss.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 559

Postby sonosublime » March 30th, 2014, 1:23 pm

Kimi, that manga looks amazing - I can't wait to read it. Although does human Diddy have a tail??

Very impressive work, Winged Cap. Is that drawing in the style of Busted Bayou from DKCTF?

Awesome work as always, Ribbedebie.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 228

Postby Cyclone » March 31st, 2014, 3:13 pm

Hey artists. Would you like your masterpieces uploaded to the Atlas gallery? I can create an album for you. Just PM me or post in this topic. :nicework:
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 559

Postby Phyreburnz » April 3rd, 2014, 11:24 am

I want to stress that this is not my art. Somebody sent me this picture that they found. It is a cake.

Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby The Winged Cap » April 3rd, 2014, 3:00 pm

Sonosublime, I haven't actually played that level yet, but yes it's in that vein, thanks. :D
Oh wow, that would be soooooo amazing Cyclone. I might not be that great, but having my own section would motivate me to continue practicing.
Tourist
Bananas received 22

Postby Kimi Kong » April 4th, 2014, 9:24 am

I don't think my anime versions of the Kongs would be valid so i don't think i can have a folder ^ ^'
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 136

Postby Cyclone » April 4th, 2014, 9:49 am

Sure why not? Lets wait to see what Qyzbud thinks.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 559

Postby sonosublime » April 5th, 2014, 3:52 pm

Sonosublime, I haven't actually played that level yet, but yes it's in that vein, thanks. :D

Do you have any tips for drawing like that? And in that art style?

I don't think my anime versions of the Kongs would be valid so i don't think i can have a folder ^ ^'

I don't see why it wouldn't be valid. It is still based on DKC.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 228

PreviousNext

Return to DKC Projects/Fanworks