DKC-Related Custom Animations

Working on your own project related to the Donkey Kong Country series?
This forum is your place to discuss fangames, artwork, stories and so forth which are DKC relevant.

Re: DKC-related animations

Postby Phyreburnz » February 10th, 2012, 8:51 am

Here is Diddy teaming up with a heavier Kong. I still have to do his idle animation and jump frame. It shouldn't take long to actually do, but I have my next class soon, so I can't work on it until tomorrow or later... maybe tonight.
diddy-teaming-with-heavy-kong.gif
diddy-teaming-with-heavy-kong.gif (9.51 KiB) Viewed 156848 times

I basically took the frames for him beginning to crawl and I added a few to position his arms in the right place. There wasn't all that much editing involved, just the few frames at the end.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Tonberry2000 » February 10th, 2012, 1:07 pm

If you made sheets of these new frames so people could use them, I think people would be very grateful.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 30

Postby Phyreburnz » February 11th, 2012, 12:36 pm

I'll probably eventually make sprite sheets. I'd like to finish all the important ones first.

Here is a bit of a long animation. I've completed all of Diddy's moves for carrying a heavy Kong Here are all the moves in one animation.
diddy-heavy-kong-all-animations.gif
diddy-heavy-kong-all-animations.gif (37.53 KiB) Viewed 156806 times

I've obviously not edited all the sprites, like the ones of him throwing, but I've put everything together of what it would look like.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Phyreburnz » February 13th, 2012, 2:23 am

Here is the animation I've completed for DK walking while teamed-up. I have the idle animation, but I'm not going to add that now. When I complete all of his animations for teaming up, then you'll get to see everything. For right now, just as a preview, here is DK walking while teamed-up.
dk-team-up-walk.gif
dk-team-up-walk.gif (5.93 KiB) Viewed 156781 times
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Phyreburnz » February 13th, 2012, 4:46 am

Thanks, Tonberry! I'm wondering if you could help me. I was looking on that edited sprite sheet you put on the Donkey Kong Country 4 begin topic, and I don't know if they aren't there or if I'm just not seeing them, but I don't know where the sprites are for Diddy Kong being carried by Dixie (not the idling frames, but the walking frames). I was wondering if you or somebody else could rip those sprites for me. I don't specifically need to edit them (I don't think... I may have to erase his feet), but I wanted to see what it would look like to have DK carry Diddy. I'm doing the same thing with Dixie and Kiddy right now.

Here are the animations of DK carrying Kiddy and Dixie.
dk-carrying-dixie.gif
dk-carrying-dixie.gif (10.12 KiB) Viewed 156762 times

dk-carrying-kiddy.gif
dk-carrying-kiddy.gif (11.75 KiB) Viewed 156762 times

I used the Dixie animation with Diddy, because the animation of Kiddy carrying her didn't work for DK. I still need the sprites of Diddy being carried by Dixie.

I've also animated Diddy walking with Kiddy, just to see how it looks. I'm pretty happy with it... but Kiddy's hand is right over Diddy's eyes. I don't know if I could do anything about that, but I think it will work, either way.
diddy-walking-with-kiddy.gif
diddy-walking-with-kiddy.gif (10.03 KiB) Viewed 156760 times
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Tonberry2000 » February 13th, 2012, 7:31 am

Use this Diddy sheet.
http://imageshack.us/f/593/diddyn.png/

EDIT: I wouldn't worry about the eye thing. For some reason being inconsiderate seems like part of Kiddy's character. :P
Trailblazer
Bananas received 30

Postby Phyreburnz » February 13th, 2012, 7:33 am

I don't know if I'm just not seeing it or what, but where are the sprites of Diddy being carried when Dixie is walking?
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Tonberry2000 » February 13th, 2012, 7:35 am

Oh, sorry. :X I guess we haven't nabbed those yet. I'll see what I can do.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 30

Postby Phyreburnz » February 13th, 2012, 7:36 am

Okay, at least I know I'm not just blind! :P

EDIT Thanks in advance!
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Super Luigi! » February 13th, 2012, 1:21 pm

"Kiddy, get off of me, I can't see!" You know, the covering of the eyes thing is alright, and kind of funny too. Great job, again!
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 301

Postby Tailikku » February 14th, 2012, 8:20 am

Great, now somebody needs to do DK carrying Diddy like in the concept art for the first game.
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 12

Postby Phyreburnz » February 14th, 2012, 8:48 am

I'm working on making DK carrying Diddy. I just need the animation of him being carried. I've already asked if Tonberry would be able to rip them for me.

I think I'm going to try something other than DK's buddy riding animation for him teaming-up. I'll have to test some stuff.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Tonberry2000 » February 17th, 2012, 8:42 am

Sorry those Diddy sprites are taking so long. Ant and I are both swamped right now. :P
Trailblazer
Bananas received 30

Postby Phyreburnz » February 17th, 2012, 1:43 pm

I totally understand! I'm just glad it's on your to-do list! :D I've been a little lazy... well not lazy, but have had lots of stuff going on... so I haven't done any editing lately. I shall do more tomorrow... after I sleep in for a good few hours! :P
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Phyreburnz » February 21st, 2012, 5:01 am

Okay... so I procrastinated... I was going to do this yesterday, but I was feeling lazy, and I didn't. I've finished DK's team-up animations. I've made the process of him teaming up and from his team-up stance to the throwing stance. I hope you guys like it!
dk-all-animations-of-teaming-up.gif
dk-all-animations-of-teaming-up.gif (55.46 KiB) Viewed 156610 times

Let me know if you see any problems. Again, I don't know why the throwing is so slow. I have the throwing part set to "no delay," so I can't make it go faster.

Also, I'm not sure if I should try to make something other than DK's riding animation for teaming-up. Let me know if you guys think I should try to make something else.

I'd also like to remind everybody that I'm going to take another crack at some of my older animations. Because of the program RotSprite, I think I can make better Dixie and Kiddy swinging animations, and I'm also going to try another idea to make a better crawling version of Dixie.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby VideoViking » February 21st, 2012, 6:28 am

I like how the revised Donkey Kong team-up animation turned out, Phyre. I look forward to your updated Dixie crawl animation. Already, some of your animation concepts are going to be used for my coveted Donkey Kong Country X game. And you know how big that one's gonna be.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 41

Postby Tonberry2000 » February 21st, 2012, 7:19 am

Love, love, love it. Again, no Diddy to post. I think we're focusing on finishing up Dixie and Kiddy from DKC3 before we go back to DKC2. On the plus side, we've got almost all the items from both games done. ;)
Trailblazer
Bananas received 30

Postby Phyreburnz » February 21st, 2012, 8:53 am

Thanks guys! I'm glad you like it! And Tonberry, it's awesome that you guys are ripping so many sprites! I'll be excited to see all of the progress!
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Tonberry2000 » February 21st, 2012, 12:19 pm

I'll be sure to let you know when it's all up! :D
Trailblazer
Bananas received 30

Postby leo_core » February 22nd, 2012, 5:00 am

Phyreburnz wrote:Okay... so I procrastinated... I was going to do this yesterday, but I was feeling lazy, and I didn't. I've finished DK's team-up animations. I've made the process of him teaming up and from his team-up stance to the throwing stance. I hope you guys like it!
dk-all-animations-of-teaming-up.gif

You're doing a great job! I wonder if I can use your Team Up animation in our project:
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=1336

Thanks in advance!
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 72

Postby Phyreburnz » February 24th, 2012, 9:00 am

I'm back with some more updates. I have two versions of Dixie crawling. Honestly, neither turned out the way I would have hoped. In the first one, I took the legs from Dixie walking with Kiddy and the upper body of her swimming. The second is the same, except I used the arms of Dixie walking normally, because I thought they looked like good crawling arms.

Any suggestions for improvement are welcomed. Please let me know which you like better, and stuff like that.
dixie-crawling-test-1.gif
dixie-crawling-test-1.gif (6.2 KiB) Viewed 156534 times

dixie-crawling-test-2.gif
dixie-crawling-test-2.gif (6.4 KiB) Viewed 156534 times

I think the second one looks better, but there were too few frames in Dixie's walking animation to sync up nicely with the carrying and swimming animations.

I forgot! LeoCore, all of the PSDs are in the DKLB Animation Submissions section of the forum. Everything I make is already in PSD form, so if you want to use anything, feel free to download it. Eventually, I'm planning on making sprite sheets. I want to do that after I complete some of the things I have planned.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Tonberry2000 » February 24th, 2012, 6:22 pm

Not sure where else to post this, but I thought you'd all like to know that Kiddy is complete (except for his palettes, which will be added shortly).
http://img811.imageshack.us/img811/1790/kiddyedit.png
Trailblazer
Bananas received 30

Postby Phyreburnz » February 25th, 2012, 12:44 am

Awesome, Tonberry!

Okay, I fixed up the second animation a little bit. I lowered her upper body and I did a few things with the arms.
dixie-crawling-test-3.gif
dixie-crawling-test-3.gif (6.59 KiB) Viewed 156504 times

Please give me some input. I need to know if this looks okay, or if I should try something else. If you have any ideas to make it look better, please let me know. I might try taking Diddy's arms from his crawling and using those.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Tonberry2000 » February 25th, 2012, 3:22 am

It definitely looks better than he swimming edit. My only critique would be that her far arm moves back up too quickly. Much faster than the closer arm does.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 30

Postby Phyreburnz » February 25th, 2012, 4:48 am

Okay, I think I've fixed the problems.

dixie-crawling-test-5.gif
dixie-crawling-test-5.gif (6.61 KiB) Viewed 156495 times

Let me know if this works, or if I missed something.

Next, I'm going to re-do Dixie swinging on a rope. I'm thinking that the animations of Dixie riding the skull cart should look right for her swinging. I'm going to have to edit her hair, and maybe some other stuff, but I think it will work.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Tonberry2000 » February 25th, 2012, 5:38 am

Funny, I was thinking that animation would work for her swinging too. ;D
I think the far arm should come up after the closer one goes back. It doesn't look like it moves at all.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 30

Postby Phyreburnz » February 25th, 2012, 6:06 am

I'm not exactly sure what you mean... I think the far arm goes back when the front one goes forward already O.o Am I missing something?
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby leo_core » February 25th, 2012, 6:42 am

Ok Phyreburnz, I'm adding your Dixie swinging rope animation in our project. I would ask the Kiddy swinging rope PSD, you could post?

His work is very good and will help us a lot with custom systems, we have the freedom to use their work in our project?
Given credits to you in the game by contributions.

Thanks!

Edit:
Now I saw that all his works are on topic "DKCLB Sprite/Animation Submissions" in PSD.
I'm having lots of ideas to use your custom animations, just wondered if you allow. The credits will be given in the game.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 72

Postby Phyreburnz » February 25th, 2012, 7:16 am

Leo_core, anything you'd like to use is here: viewtopic.php?f=53&t=1405

I already have animations of Dixie and Kiddy swinging on the rope, but I'm planning on redoing them, so I suggest waiting until I get them done... again. Everything I've made is there. Most of the details are in the descriptions above each upload. I've kept a lot of the pieces on separate layers (like the legs or arms are separate from the bodies) to make it easier to do any further editing. Again, I will, eventually, make sprite sheets of everything I've made.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Phyreburnz » March 2nd, 2012, 9:15 am

Here is Dixie swinging on a rope. I think I might edit her hair a bit. I was thinking about making it similar to the one I had before, where when she goes backwards, her hair is in front of her face. I didn't really do much editing. All I did was rotate the last of Dixie's skull cart animation 7 more times, to get the right number of frames needed for her to swing. I think it works rather well. Do you guys think I should make her hair like the first one I made?
dixie-with-rope-swinging.gif
dixie-with-rope-swinging.gif (76.26 KiB) Viewed 156413 times

I think I should just change her hair for the first few frames. I might just have it remain close to her body.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby VideoViking » March 2nd, 2012, 10:32 am

This is excellent, Phyreburnz! I really, really love this swinging Dixie to death. It's a perfect match :D Can't wait to use this for DKCX.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 41

Postby Tonberry2000 » March 2nd, 2012, 12:05 pm

My only critique would be that when she's swinging back, her hair would be up against her back, not waving around ahead of her.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 30

Postby Simion32 » March 2nd, 2012, 12:07 pm

Please post a PSD of this version, and do the second version if you wish.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Super Luigi! » March 2nd, 2012, 12:57 pm

I'd have to agree with Tonberry2000 on this one. Unless that's too hard or even impossible to do, then you can leave it how it is.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 301

Postby Phyreburnz » March 2nd, 2012, 2:12 pm

I know exactly what I'm going to do to fix it. I knew that wouldn't be the final. I'll fix it up tomorrow. I know what to do to make it look good going both back and forth.

I'm going to redo Kiddy swinging, but I don't think I can make it look "legit." I think the most I can do is rotate his regular rope sprites. I wish he would have had an original skull cart animation. The one I made won't fit like Dixie's.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Tonberry2000 » March 2nd, 2012, 6:02 pm

Maybe Kiddy's Squawks animation could be a good base, Phyre?
PS- Did you get my PM?
Trailblazer
Bananas received 30

Postby Phyreburnz » March 3rd, 2012, 1:14 am

I had actually thought that before. I think I'll try it and see. And I did get your message, Tonberry. I'll animate that today, too. I think it's weird that he just sits still... guess they were a little lazy making DKC2!
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Phyreburnz » March 3rd, 2012, 4:10 am

Sorry about the double post, but I figured I should just in case.

I think I've fixed Dixie's hair pretty well. I think this works the best, because I don't need special frames for her going backwards. I'm going to post this PSD, soon. Simion, do you still want the first one I did, or do you just want this?
dixie-with-rope-swinging-fixed-hair.gif
dixie-with-rope-swinging-fixed-hair.gif (76.38 KiB) Viewed 156361 times

*EDIT* I've animated DK carrying Diddy. When it comes to teaming up DK with either Dixie or Diddy, all I have to do is remove the feet. What I'm going to do is take the sprite sheets for both and remove their feet, so then it will be easy for anybody that wants to team DK up with Dixie and/or Diddy.
dk-walking-with-diddy.gif
dk-walking-with-diddy.gif (9.91 KiB) Viewed 156357 times

I almost want to take Diddy's tail from going downhill on the skull cart and put it on his walking team up animation... it's so... stiff...
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Tonberry2000 » March 3rd, 2012, 5:31 am

Looking good! I understand not wanting to double her sprites. They really threw a spanner in the works giving her that ponytail. :P
And yeah, Diddy could use some animation in the tail, haha. It's just kinda... there. Diddy sure got screwed on his frames compared to Dixie.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 30

Postby Phyreburnz » March 4th, 2012, 8:06 am

I'm working on making sprite sheets for all of my edited stuff.

Here are animations of Dixie carrying DK and Diddy carrying DK.
dixie-carrying-dk.gif
dixie-carrying-dk.gif (12.76 KiB) Viewed 156338 times

diddy-carrying-DK.gif
diddy-carrying-DK.gif (10.17 KiB) Viewed 156338 times

I'm going to put my sprite sheets on the custom/edited sprites section of the forum.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Phyreburnz » March 8th, 2012, 6:00 am

Here is the animation for Rambi swimming. Let me know what you think.
rambi-swimming.gif
rambi-swimming.gif (14.03 KiB) Viewed 156298 times
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Markster » March 8th, 2012, 6:30 am

Looks pretty good.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 37

Postby VideoViking » March 8th, 2012, 9:08 am

It looks good. My only concern is with Rambi's legs. Look at the coloring: the light grey doesn't match well with the rest of his body, which is of a darker grey with some shadow. You got the animation right, but if you can adjust the shading of the legs so that it matches with the rest of his body, the animation will truly look seamless.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 41

Postby Phyreburnz » March 8th, 2012, 9:21 am

Yeah, the back legs look fine, I just have to adjust the front legs a little bit.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Super Luigi! » March 8th, 2012, 2:00 pm

I like the animation. Looks like Rambi's busting a move!
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 301

Postby Phyreburnz » March 10th, 2012, 3:39 am

A'ight, yo! I recoloured Ellie's legs a little more to make it more seamless. Let me know what you guys think!
rambi-swimming-fixed.gif
rambi-swimming-fixed.gif (13.83 KiB) Viewed 156230 times

If you guys think it's done, I won't touch it anymore, and I'll make a sprite sheet.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Phyreburnz » March 10th, 2012, 6:44 am

New version of Kiddy swinging:
kiddy-swinging-rope.gif
kiddy-swinging-rope.gif (83.56 KiB) Viewed 156223 times

Most of it was just rotating the normal rope sprites.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

PreviousNext

Return to DKC Projects/Fanworks