DKC-Related Custom Animations

Working on your own project related to the Donkey Kong Country series?
This forum is your place to discuss fangames, artwork, stories and so forth which are DKC relevant.

Re: DKC-related animations

Postby Phyreburnz » January 1st, 2012, 4:41 am

I took out some of the Kiddy on a ledge sprites. I think I like this one better. I'll put up the PSD for it; it will still have the sprites I took out if anybody wants to use them, too.
I've also changed Kiddy's eye pop animation a bit.
Attachments
kiddy-eye-pop.gif
kiddy-eye-pop.gif (33.16 KiB) Viewed 186291 times
kiddy-on-ledge.gif
kiddy-on-ledge.gif (33.4 KiB) Viewed 186291 times
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby FalsePower » January 1st, 2012, 5:51 am

Your work is like a little taste of what's to come in DKCLB. It's kind of refreshing to see new animations that didn't exist in the original games.

I love the new Kiddy on a ledge animation.
It may be just me but I think Kiddy's eye pop looks good but I think his mouth opens a little too far.
Tourist
Bananas received 1

Postby Phyreburnz » January 1st, 2012, 6:02 am

I made his mouth open really far because in all of the other animations of the Kongs dropping their jaw, they drop practically to the ground!
I've also made Kiddy crawling.
kiddy-crawling.gif
kiddy-crawling.gif (5.42 KiB) Viewed 186285 times

Get ready for the coolest thing you've ever seen in your life:
Spoiler!
dk-with-bass.gif
dk-with-bass.gif (9.08 KiB) Viewed 186278 times
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby The Banana Bird » January 2nd, 2012, 8:52 am

Hey Phyreburnz, can you make a sprite for KIDDY with a instrument doing his end of level victory. I have no clue what he should have but maybe everyone else can help think up something.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 7

Postby Phyreburnz » January 2nd, 2012, 8:59 am

I'm actually working on it. I'm putting Kiddy on drums.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby FalsePower » January 2nd, 2012, 9:03 am

I'm just now seeing DK playing the bass. Great work! The foot tapping is a nice touch. I'm very excited to see that in-game.

I just requested that a few posts ago, Banana Bird. ;) It should be interesting to see how she does it.
Tourist
Bananas received 1

Postby Phyreburnz » January 2nd, 2012, 9:05 am

She is going to make it awesome! :P
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby The Banana Bird » January 2nd, 2012, 11:20 am

Phyreburnz wrote:She is going to make it awesome! :P

I bet it is :D! I am excited to see what he is going to look like. Guys, I am not good at this at all so im asking you all, can anyone here make a DKC sprite of TINY KONG?!
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 7

Postby FalsePower » January 2nd, 2012, 2:02 pm

^ This is the animation thread. You want the sprite thread for your request.
http://www.dkc-atlas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=576

I keep finding myself coming back here to look at DK playing the bass. Classic. Image
Tourist
Bananas received 1

Postby Phyreburnz » January 2nd, 2012, 2:11 pm

I'm glad you like it so much!

So, here's what I have for Kiddy on drums... I feel like he need something else, though. I never seem to be satisfied with my Kiddy sprites.
Attachments
kiddy-on-drums.gif
kiddy-on-drums.gif (12.53 KiB) Viewed 186226 times
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby The Banana Bird » January 2nd, 2012, 2:20 pm

Phyreburnz wrote:I'm glad you like it so much!

So, here's what I have for Kiddy on drums... I feel like he need something else, though. I never seem to be satisfied with my Kiddy sprites.

I think it looks awesome! I love the drum sticks and everything. You think we would be able to add music to these animations? Where did you get the drum sprites, they look like they are from DKC.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 7

Postby Phyreburnz » January 2nd, 2012, 2:23 pm

The Banana Bird wrote: Where did you get the drum sprites, they look like they are from DKC.

I took barrel sprites and edited them. The cymbal is the bonus coin from either DKC2 or 3. I can't remember, anymore!

I was wondering about the music, myself. I wonder if anyone here is good with music stuffs? I cant, I'm just the artist! :D
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby aperson98 » January 2nd, 2012, 2:24 pm

Wow those edits are awesome Phyreburnz, better then what I would be able to do, it must have been a LOT of work put into those edits. :)
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 3

Postby Phyreburnz » January 2nd, 2012, 2:26 pm

It's not that bad. But, hey, time flies when you're having fun!
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby The Banana Bird » January 2nd, 2012, 2:28 pm

Phyreburnz, would I be aloud to use the DK on Squwaks sprite to turn it into him on flapper?
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 7

Postby Phyreburnz » January 2nd, 2012, 2:33 pm

Funny you should ask, I was thinking about doing that! Do you have photoshop? I could give you the PSD. Or if you want, I could animate it; I could probably do it and post it in a few minutes.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby FalsePower » January 2nd, 2012, 2:44 pm

Phyreburnz wrote:So, here's what I have for Kiddy on drums... I feel like he need something else, though. I never seem to be satisfied with my Kiddy sprites.

*jaw opens Kong style*
That's exactly what I had envisioned when I requested Kiddy on the drums. Do you think it would be possible to have him look towards the player for a frame? I have my doubts on how that would look because it may interfere with the fluidness he has going on right now. It looks great the way it is even if it's not possible.
10/10 from me (but I'm probably biased since it was my request)
Tourist
Bananas received 1

Postby Phyreburnz » January 2nd, 2012, 2:46 pm

I can most definitely try to make him look more toward the viewer. Don't forget, there's always before and after he starts playing (which I already have for DK and need to post).
Also, the sprites, again, were ripped by Tonberry2k... Because I got sick of ripping them myself! :P
*EDIT* I kinda went ahead and made Skreech holding DK.
Attachments
skreech-holding-dk.gif
skreech-holding-dk.gif (11.24 KiB) Viewed 186203 times
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Cosmicman » January 2nd, 2012, 3:19 pm

That's really cool! I know Diddy is excellent with his singing and Dixie knows her guitar but since Kiddy is a baby i think it would make sense that his drum sound beat should be a disaster in purpose, he should be hitting those drums all over the place, might be really funny to see that at the end of a level.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 91

Postby Phyreburnz » January 2nd, 2012, 3:36 pm

I might try to make his drumming more erratic. I don't know how easy that would be, though. I can try.
Here is the animation for DK beginning and ending winning with the bass.
dk-with-bass-begin-and-end.gif
dk-with-bass-begin-and-end.gif (6.98 KiB) Viewed 186201 times

I've also gone ahead and made Flapper holding DK. I used my less silly animation, but if you'd like to see it with the silly one, that's no problem.
flapper-holding-dk.gif
flapper-holding-dk.gif (12.76 KiB) Viewed 186186 times
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby The Banana Bird » January 3rd, 2012, 2:49 am

I actually use a site that recolors things. I have no photoshop, but I would like to give the recolor a try.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 7

Postby Phyreburnz » January 3rd, 2012, 2:51 am

Awe, man! You posted just as I uploaded the picture! Sorry! You can still try it if you like.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby The Banana Bird » January 3rd, 2012, 2:56 am

Like this is all I can do. I can not animate things. I am just good at recoloring things. The full animation is from Phyreburnz.
Attachments
sqwaks-holding-dk-2.jpg
sqwaks-holding-dk-2.jpg (3.4 KiB) Viewed 186185 times
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 7

Postby Phyreburnz » January 3rd, 2012, 2:58 am

Sure! All of my stuff is fair game! Just make sure I get credit! ;)
Would you like me to put Flapper in the silly one? I can post it in a few minutes, if you want.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby The Banana Bird » January 3rd, 2012, 3:01 am

Phyreburnz wrote:Sure! All of my stuff is fair game! Just make sure I get credit! ;)
Would you like me to put Flapper in the silly one? I can post it in a few minutes, if you want.

I just added the credit and sure! I am going to get working on recoloring the DKC versions of squwaks to Qwauks and Flapper.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 7

Postby Phyreburnz » January 3rd, 2012, 3:04 am

I think that MS Paint can animate sprites. If you'd like to take a crack at animation, you might want to download that. It's a free program. I don't know much about it, because I have photoshop. But I think it's a rather nice program.

EDIT!I meant paint.net! Sorry!

Edit some more...
I've finished the animations for Kiddy beginning and ending with the drums.
kiddy-on-drums-begin.gif
kiddy-on-drums-begin.gif (8.48 KiB) Viewed 186177 times

kiddy-on-drums-end.gif
kiddy-on-drums-end.gif (24.75 KiB) Viewed 186177 times

Edit even more...
Here's what I have SO FAR for Kiddy going up and down a rope. I feel like I'm stuck with this one. I don't know what to do to make it look better.
kiddy-up-two-ropes-fixed.gif
kiddy-up-two-ropes-fixed.gif (10.59 KiB) Viewed 186175 times

kiddy-down-ropes-fixed.gif
kiddy-down-ropes-fixed.gif (10.68 KiB) Viewed 186174 times
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby FalsePower » January 3rd, 2012, 9:05 am

Forget what I said about Kiddy looking toward the player during the drum playing. The way he looks at us before and after playing is exactly what was needed.

I have two more requests which I think will fit in nicely.
1. Kiddy ground pounding just as Donkey Kong can. It would add a new element of gameplay. I attempted this but failed so I'll pass it on.
2. This one is more difficult but we'll probably need sprites of DK and Diddy playing Swanky's target game in DKC3. I don't think we even get to see the backside of either of them but I'll keep my fingers crossed.
Tourist
Bananas received 1

Postby Phyreburnz » January 3rd, 2012, 9:12 am

I'm glad you're coming up with ideas, because I started to run out of them... although I've been saying that for a while... O.o

I think I can do Kiddy ground pounding. That doesn't sound too bad (I'm probably wrong about that, though). I'm thinking that it will probably be a pain to try to make DK and Diddy play Swanky's bonus thing, but, hey, it's worth a shot :D
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby FalsePower » January 3rd, 2012, 9:32 am

I actually have more ideas but I feel as though I'm starting to flood this thread and turning it into an msn conversation with you. Image

Sounds great though. If the Swanky bonus game doesn't work out don't feel too bad.
Tourist
Bananas received 1

Postby Cosmicman » January 3rd, 2012, 10:11 am

Phyreburnz wrote:I might try to make his drumming more erratic. I don't know how easy that would be, though. I can try

The animation is perfect, I was talking about the music file that should go with it.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 91

Postby Phyreburnz » January 3rd, 2012, 10:46 am

I see. Are you sure, though? I mean, the animation of his drumming looks like he knows how to drum, doesn't it?

I'm wondering if anybody can create music files to go with the animations. I know I can't. I don't think that there are any from the game that will go with it.

I'm also thinking of making the animations from DKC3 where you free the banana birds smaller. Those poses could work as a DKC 1 winning bonus animations. With that said, I think I'm just going to make the winning bonus animations of DK and Diddy bigger.

Feel free to post any and all requests. I'll try my best to make them! :)
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Phyreburnz » January 3rd, 2012, 4:42 pm

I did victory dances for Kiddy and Dixie for winning a DKC1 style bonus. I just took the winning animations from the gba game and spliced them with the snes ones. It looks okay... probably could use some more animation with the feet, at least with Dixie.

Should I make Kiddy sitting for the victory dance?
Dixie's hair is jumpy; I'll have to work on that a bit more before I upload the PSDs.
GBA sprites ripped by A.J. Nitro and SNES sprites ripped by Tonberry2k.
Kiddy-win.gif
Kiddy-win.gif (4.77 KiB) Viewed 186129 times

dixie-win.gif
dixie-win.gif (4.87 KiB) Viewed 186129 times

I've also done the cave victory dances for Diddy and DK. I decided to use an unused sprite for DK, just because ;) I know those animations were super easy to do, but I'll get to the harder stuff soon (like them throwing snowballs and dying).
Cave sprites ripped by Lotos and DK and Diddy sprites ripped by Tonberry2k.
diddy-and-dk-victory-dance.gif
diddy-and-dk-victory-dance.gif (49.07 KiB) Viewed 186126 times
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby The Banana Bird » January 4th, 2012, 1:51 am

Those are really good, how bout a sprite of Diddy and DK using the teamup ability?
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 7

Postby Phyreburnz » January 4th, 2012, 2:48 am

I will do that eventually. It should be rather easy, as I just need to edit DK's barrel holding and throwing animations. I know it's not perfect, but I tried. I might be able to make it look better.

I've made DK throwing a snowball. Thanks to aperson98's sprite of DK's back, I was able to do this a lot quicker. The background was ripped by RandomTalkingBush.
dk-throwing-big.gif
dk-throwing-big.gif (22.75 KiB) Viewed 186110 times
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby The Banana Bird » January 4th, 2012, 2:49 am

That looks like it was really hard. It came out good though.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 7

Postby Phyreburnz » January 4th, 2012, 4:31 am

Here is Diddy throwing a snowball.
Again, background ripped by RandomTalkingBush. Diddy sprites originally ripped by Tonberry2k (same with original DK sprites except for the back, I forgot to mention that).
diddy-back-throw-big.gif
diddy-back-throw-big.gif (22.89 KiB) Viewed 186102 times
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby The Banana Bird » January 4th, 2012, 4:38 am

You know, people should use your animations in engines.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 7

Postby Markster » January 4th, 2012, 4:42 am

It looks rather low quality, can you make a higher quality version of those PhyreBurnz?
----------
And I am working on better Game Maker skills and I am working on DKCGM, I might add some of those animations.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 37

Postby The Banana Bird » January 4th, 2012, 4:46 am

Sounds good Markster. I tried out Paint.net and it is kind of tough for me. I guess I am going to stick with recoloring pictures for now.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 7

Postby Phyreburnz » January 4th, 2012, 7:57 am

Markster wrote:It looks rather low quality, can you make a higher quality version of those PhyreBurnz?

Admittedly, yes, they are rather low quality. The reason for this is making the sprites bigger. I started with the regular ones and resized them. To make them better quality, I'll have to go in and edit it pixel by pixel. It sucks, but that's how I got them to throw in the first place (along, of course, with finding a few bits and pieces that would work somewhat well).
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby FalsePower » January 4th, 2012, 9:25 am

They may be low quality but it's better than nothing. Plus it's nothing the clone stamp tool in Photoshop can't fix. Image

I gotta say I really like the cave dance thingy. I've seen those sprites of DK before and they work very nicely there.
Tourist
Bananas received 1

Postby Phyreburnz » January 4th, 2012, 9:30 am

FalsePower wrote: it's nothing the clone stamp tool in Photoshop can't fix.

Wow... I feel like a complete idiot, now.... I totally didn't even think of using the clone stamp tool... I'ma go hit my head off the wall, now! :P

*EDIT* here's Kiddy doing a ground pound. I decided he should use on hand to do it. It seems like something he'd do.
kiddy-ground-pound.gif
kiddy-ground-pound.gif (16.25 KiB) Viewed 186064 times

I've also mad DK throwing upward (yes, I said throw upward, because I didn't want to call it throwing up!).
dk-throw-upward.gif
dk-throw-upward.gif (13.02 KiB) Viewed 186063 times

Sorry it took so long, but here's the silly animation of Flapper holding DK:
flapper-holding-dk-silly.gif
flapper-holding-dk-silly.gif (13.94 KiB) Viewed 186060 times

I'm thinking that the animations for DK holding and throwing a barrel will work for him teaming up, the other Kong could sit on his hands. I also think that his riding animation would work for somebody teaming up with him.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby FalsePower » January 5th, 2012, 3:49 am

^Don't feel like an idiot, it happens lol. I was just thinking using it would help a lot.

DK throwing up (Image) looks great and I wouldn't change it.

Kiddy's ground pound also looks nice but appears a little choppy like it's missing some frames. If there's no way to change it I say it looks great as is.
Tourist
Bananas received 1

Postby Phyreburnz » January 5th, 2012, 4:23 am

FalsePower wrote:it's missing some frames.

I'm thinking one more frame in the right spot, right in between where his hand goes from forward to straight out beside him, will do it. I'll have to look on my sprite sheets to see if I can find one that will fit.

I don't know what I should call it, but here's and edited version of Chomps. I thought a good attack would be for him to jump upward. It seems like it would be good for levels similar to DKC3 where you're on a boardwalk. Yeah, most of the animation is just Chomps turning sideways, but I think it would make for an interesting enemy.
jumping-shark.gif
jumping-shark.gif (9.24 KiB) Viewed 186029 times

Okay, so I added a few more frames. How does this look?
kiddy-ground-pound.gif
kiddy-ground-pound.gif (22.22 KiB) Viewed 186037 times

From here on out, unless I specify otherwise, the sprites have been ripped by Tonberry2k. I'm kinda sick of writing that over and over... and forgetting to write it over and over.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby FalsePower » January 5th, 2012, 6:38 am

Kiddy looks a lot better now. Once again I must say, great job. Image

That jumping shark enemy idea is genius. I can just see it in my boardwalk levels now.
Maybe you could make Chomps Jr do a similar jump but have him swim a circle in the water first and then jump out.

I'll let you get caught up on everyone's ideas before I start posting more of my own.
Tourist
Bananas received 1

Postby The Banana Bird » January 5th, 2012, 7:18 am

ALL SO EPIC. Kiddy does look great now.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 7

Postby Phyreburnz » January 5th, 2012, 7:38 am

Thanks!
Here's Chomps Jr. jumping. I did a colour change on both Chomps and Chomps Jr., because I think they should be separate characters.
Any name suggestions?
chomps-jr-jump.gif
chomps-jr-jump.gif (7.35 KiB) Viewed 186018 times

Because Chomps Jr. already opens his mouth while moving back and forth, the only thing I really did was rotate the sprites and give them a colour change. Should I make his mouth only open when he would bite a passing Kong? And I just saw now that FalsePower suggested that I make him swim in a circle first. I'll do that now.

I think those are all of the suggestions. I know that Banana Bird suggested animations for DK teaming up, but as I've previously said, I think that DK's sprites for him holding a barrel will work for him carrying and the sprites of him riding a buddy will work for him being carried.

I'm planning on making an animation for Diddy holding a heavier buddy and I still have to make Kiddy go from one rope to two.

Please let me know if you have any other suggestions!
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby The Banana Bird » January 5th, 2012, 7:52 am

Little-Bite, I had it for a enemy I drew for when I grow up. I want to make a DKC game when I get older and I have designed characters. Pretty good name huh?
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 7

Postby Phyreburnz » January 5th, 2012, 7:58 am

Sounds like a good name, to me! But are you sure you want the new shark to be named that? What was your character design? I don't want to take the name if you have plans! And what about for the edited Chomps?

Here, I made him circle first. Ideally, I would have liked to have him make a full circle. The problem is that when either Chomps or Chomps Jr. turns, you only see their head; they never turn the other way.
chomps-jr-circle-and-jump.gif
chomps-jr-circle-and-jump.gif (9.57 KiB) Viewed 186014 times

You know, I think I might add an eye patch on both or one of the new sharks. I think it would be silly! :D
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby The Banana Bird » January 5th, 2012, 9:03 am

Just add credit for the name, I can't find the sketch for it. Even if it won't be like it in the end, can you do the eyepatches on the sprites.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 7

PreviousNext

Return to DKC Projects/Fanworks