Soundtrack Restoration

Working on your own project related to the Donkey Kong Country series?
This forum is your place to discuss fangames, artwork, stories and so forth which are DKC relevant.

Re: Soundtrack Restoration

Postby BlueTronic » September 18th, 2017, 7:37 am

OrangeC wrote:Great job on the updates once again!.

Hmm Krooks march is missing the little harp notes.

Whoops

Forest Interlude mostly restored. Some percussion instruments remain the original compressed samples. Particularly important is that Talking Drum (the little bouncy drum that comes in at 0:30) in the beat. You'd think an instrument as specific as that would be easy to find. Might be in the Ensoniq CDRs
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby OrangeC » September 19th, 2017, 12:03 am

Awesome!! can't wait to hear that one fully restored.
Tourist
Bananas received 2

Postby witapepsi » October 7th, 2017, 10:44 pm

Don't know if you've found the sample yet, but the pots and pans noise used in Mining Melancholy is from the Roland U-20 called Nails. It's also in the U-220 as well.
Newcomer
Bananas received 2

Postby BlueTronic » October 11th, 2017, 6:12 am

witapepsi wrote:Don't know if you've found the sample yet, but the pots and pans noise used in Mining Melancholy is from the Roland U-20 called Nails. It's also in the U-220 as well.

It's actually not, sorry. But that patch is originally from the Roland D-50, which has a collection of metallic hits and a preset loop that sounds like this https://youtu.be/f1C8nzj2IRM?t=7s
This have been the inspiration for the loop at the beginning of Mining Melancholy, but the actual metallic kick and snare is definitely some industrial drum kit.The reason all of these percussion instruments are hard to find is because there were so many drum machines out there. Melodic instruments were harder to make so they were mostly limited to Korg, Roland, and Yamaha. But anybody could make a drumkit. And industrial drumkits are going to be extra hard to find in all the mess. Who knows if it even exists anymore. I think my only hope is getting The Wise Man's help on all this

EDIT: A New Hope
David Wise wrote:Hi Sam
There are a couple of sound fonts out there that have uncompressed versions of the original spc compressed adpcm data.
The originals would have com from the S770 Roland Sampler Sample CD’s, the Roland U220, Roland R8, , my Roland Alpha Juno Two and my Korg Wavestation.
All of the original samples were adapted before compression. Many being single cycle waveforms or tiny segments of the sound resynthesised to mimic the original sound sample. E.g. the guiro is just one of the clicks, played back with a volume curve and pitch curve, to give the impression of being a guiro, without being a literal conversion.
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby OneOf99 » October 15th, 2017, 4:47 am

Wait, the David Wise responded to you? Damn.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 23

Postby BlueTronic » October 16th, 2017, 4:39 am

He's a great dude. He's busy af but he'll take a little time respond to your inquiries on Twitter

Update: I'm going to make a crowdfunding campaign to buy all the devices he mention and extract their samples Working on a demo track in DKC style with DKC samples to show for it, since advertising restoring the soundtrack could get me shut down by Nintendo
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby amanezco » October 27th, 2017, 4:05 pm

OMG, this is the most amazing project! I love what you have done! It makes me really happy to be able to listen to the soundtrack this way. Please, continue this project. Where will the crowdfunding campaign be? We have to put it on all other gaming and music forums so that you can successfully be funded for the devices you need. Thank you so much for putting your time in this project!
Newcomer
Bananas received 3

Postby Lanky Kong » March 8th, 2018, 10:18 am

BlueTronic wrote:Krook's March fully restored!

I also updated Stickerbrush Symphony and K.Rool Returns with a better snare sample

Updated the mixing on just about all the tracks. I'm still learning proper mixing skills so bear with me here, but I think they're all shaping up to be just about perfect

You rock! I always loved this theme and now I love it more!
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 12

Postby BlueTronic » March 19th, 2018, 2:13 am

So this project has been slowing down for 2 reasons. 1: adult responsibilities, 2: Insufficient sample sources to continue. But I just found the source of like 90% of the DKC2 drums for sure in a machine called the Proteus 1. The DKC series has 2 main sample sources: 1, from machines that David Wise had himself, and 2, from the SNES Dev Kit. The SNES Dev Kit samples are difficult because they could have come from anywhere
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby Cody » March 19th, 2018, 8:20 pm

Kung-Fu, you're a very smart dude, and I'm glad the internet has been blessed with your presence.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 62

Postby BlueTronic » August 12th, 2018, 4:25 am

Stickerbush Symphony Fully Restored!
MP3: https://www.dropbox.com/s/71ysae4todqkj ... y.mp3?dl=0
FLAC: https://www.dropbox.com/s/0d1c90v4o6sqq ... .flac?dl=0
The DKC2 drums have finally been located in the Alesis HR16B as well as the Dulcimer (twangy lead guitar thing) in the General User GS soundfont
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby OneOf99 » August 14th, 2018, 7:45 am

That sounds amazing BlueTronic! Obviously a lot of people wanted Stickerbrush and you delivered very well, the underlying synths and the piano-ish melody are really well done!
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 23

Postby MichaelFrank » November 8th, 2018, 12:02 am

Hey Bluetronic, I noticed in the DKC2 soundfont a lot of the instruments click/pop when they loop, at least in the Fruity Soundfont Player in FL Studio. I'm wondering if you have plans to fix this?

They're by far the best soundfonts for DKC out there!
Newcomer

Postby BlueTronic » November 8th, 2018, 6:43 am

All of the loop points were retained as they were ripped from the ROM. What you are hearing is what was in the game, but compression hid them kinda. The original pre-compression versions won't have pops. Look for them in the Remasters and Origins folder
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby BlueTronic » November 13th, 2018, 12:44 pm

Many new restorations have been finished including Snakey Chantey and Rockface Rumble. Mostly been updating this on Twitter and Youtube lately as I've gained a small following
http://twitter.com/PrinceSamlet
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKaTWj ... 6K0YFJVEfQ
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby Super Luigi! » November 13th, 2018, 2:11 pm

So YOU are the one who's been upstaging TerraBlue! Well done, BlueTronic. I've been following your work for months now, and your effort truly shows. Please continue to succeed greatly and be a hero to children everywhere.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 301

Postby OrangeC » November 5th, 2019, 4:26 am

Time to bump this thread.

I found the pipe hit from Mining melancholy, Misty menace ect.
'This comes from the EMU EMAX library.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/hbp2jmuymh73q ... 1.wav?dl=0

I already sent this to sam which he indeed confirms it was, although its slightly altered a bit.
Tourist
Bananas received 2

Postby WesternTanager794 » April 10th, 2023, 7:15 am

Not very important, but restored Welcome to Crocodile Isle is extremely intense, even creepy. Way more intense than the original. I never found it very intense excepting when me and my sibling first played DKC2 coming from DKC1 and it surprised us. But it was just surprising and it wore off quickly. But we did realize it was intense. Has anyone noticed how intense the restored is?
:parry:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 127

Postby WesternTanager794 » May 2nd, 2023, 9:36 am

Hes back at it again! And snakey chantey and lockjaws locker sound better then ever! keep up the good work, BlueTronic! did you find more samples for these? Or something else? :parry:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 127

Postby Super Luigi! » May 2nd, 2023, 11:40 am

I also noticed those videos, and they do sound better than what I remember. The footage in the videos is funny too.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 301

Postby BlueTronic » May 18th, 2023, 11:36 pm

Hey y'all :swanky:
WesternTanager794 wrote:Hes back at it again! And snakey chantey and lockjaws locker sound better then ever! keep up the good work, BlueTronic! did you find more samples for these? Or something else? :parry:

I made a few changes but most of them were already reflected in the download links. I'm constantly updating the downloads but I can't update the youtube audio without making a new video so many of these tracks have noticeable changes. I just felt that those videos were the ones that were lacking enough to make a new video.
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby BlueTronic » May 18th, 2023, 11:40 pm

Super Luigi! wrote:I also noticed those videos, and they do sound better than what I remember. The footage in the videos is funny too.

I did very much enjoy editing the stock footage. It was inspired by hip hop videos that use old stock footage or anime clips. They use them because it's in the public domain so you don't need to worry about copyright infringement or pay for it. Got them from archive.org
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby WesternTanager794 » May 19th, 2023, 12:44 am

BlueTronic wrote:I just felt that those videos were the ones that were lacking enough to make a new video.

Good thing I completely replaced all of the restored music in my playlist then! Great work as always! Good to see you're back!

BlueTronic wrote:Hey y'all :swanky:

Good thing Qyzbud didn't see that. :dixiehappy: :diddywink: :parry:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 127

Previous

Return to DKC Projects/Fanworks