Project Klay

Working on your own project related to the Donkey Kong Country series?
This forum is your place to discuss fangames, artwork, stories and so forth which are DKC relevant.

Project Klay

Postby Cranky Kong » December 6th, 2015, 12:33 pm

I had this cool idea to make a DKC game, but it would look like a clay movie. What do you guys think? On this first post, I will explain the plot.
So one day, King Klay Rool (get the pun?) Stormed into the 3d, claymated DK Island, and kidnapped all the Kongs except for Kiddy Kong. Klay Rool also took the Banana Hoard with him. He must've forgotten about Kiddy, but I haven't!! :kiddycool: #Kiddyforever! Anyways, as Kiddy Advances on the island, he finds the Kongs in this order: Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, then Dixie Kong. All found in the first level, I should add. Together they go through Kongo Jungle, Treacherous Temple, Secret Sea, Monkey Mountain, Klay Rool's Keep, then finally, Ape Escape. (Ape Escape isn't really a world, just a level.) Additionally, there is a secret world, Kong Island Clouds. It is at Klay Rool's Keep that things start to take a turn
Spoiler!
Klay Rool challenges you to a pretty hard fight, but I'll explain that in my "Custom Bosses" page. He states, "I'm not done with you Kongs just yet!", only to realize his ship is sinking. Ape Escape starts, a timed level witch I'll explain in a later post. After this, Klay Rool is seen with one last banana in his hand, and flies away. This can only be found by finding all DK Hero Coins and beating Kong Island Clouds.

So whaddya guys think? Please post, as I could use your guy's help

EDIT: When I say 3d, I mean 2.5d. Sorry.
Tourist
Bananas received 2

Re: Project Klay

Postby Cranky Kong » December 10th, 2015, 11:31 am

Okay, so here is my idea for the first level, . You start off the game blasting out of DK's house into a nice claymated jungle. Another cool note is that there are a few enemies on the tree tops, so when you come out, you bounce on their heads. Here are all the things to collect in this level, and how to get them.
:k:: As Diddy Kong, enter DK's house, hit the tire, and use your jetpack. If done correctly, he will hit the :k:
:o:: With Kiddy Kong, go to the lake, but instead of swimming in it, hop across the water.
:n:: Playing as Dixie Kong, find a rope in the tree tops and do a hair spin.
:g:: As Donkey Kong, do a ground pound right where the finish is.
B-Coin 1: Find an Engaurde box, then play as Engaurde until you reach the other side of the lake. Now, do a supercharge. In the minigame, you must defeat 3 enemies in 10 seconds.
B-Coin 2: Locate a Rambi box, then play with Rambi up until the end of the level. Jump on one of the tree tops, then jump to the right. Now, you are able to break the hidden secret and enter the mini-game, in which you must locate the coin in 15 seconds.
DK Hero Coin: Jump to the top of the cliff side that marks the exit.
Banana Fairy: Enter DK's banana hoard, then after the cut scene plays, go back and the Banana Fairy starts spitting out some dialouge:

So whaddya think? Pretty cool, huh?
Tourist
Bananas received 2

Postby vege » December 10th, 2015, 6:07 pm

Hi Cranky, i think that your main idea of the project could work, but it is necessary some changes and to add references to design this game because it is easier to progress when the people knows the goal.

I suggest you to search for/post games and movies to know your opinion about:

1- How it would look?
Maybe i am wrong (because I don't speak English very well) but it could to look as: Celebrity death match, Robot Chiken, http://i.huffpost.com/gen/1141471/image ... cebook.jpg or perhaps as less 3d (yoshi island n64 ) or an one with more textures http://www.thedreammachine.se/
2- What are the axis of movement of the kongs? (x,y,z):
-classic 2d (in "x, y" a la Donkey Kong Country / Kirby Snes) / ?
-variable 2d,3d (a la Super Mario Rpg Snes / Donkey Kong TF)
- Other (crysis, quake, gta)

3-To define your platform: is it for PC (is it for low end computers or is it not?), android, other?
4-To define gamemode: 1 player, 2p, multi? offline or online?
5-To decide on an engine (this depends of 1, 2, 3, 4).
6-....
7-....

-----------------------------------------
I like some elements in your history (King Klay Rool "KKR", Treacherous Temple, etc) but for me it needs more drama (like your fanfics and the fanfics of Kimi), King Klay Rool needs more power, he has an empire, he could to kidnap a "less active" kong (wrinkly, cranky, i do not know, KKR could to alterate the species to use them for his benefit, to have weather weapons). A good game must to generate anxiety, challenge in the players, so i think it is not good idea to liberate the monkeys in the first stage. In fact, KKR could to humillate the kongs at the beginning.

I guess this type of ideas (" Here are all the things to collect in this level, and how to get them.
:k:: As Diddy Kong, enter DK's house, hit the tire, and use... ") are very specific, so it is better to start its discussion when the creation of game is more advanced.

I am not creator of games, i am giving my ideas, yes, my ideas are poor, but i hope that they are useful.
-Sorry for my bad english.
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 49

Postby Cranky Kong » December 12th, 2015, 2:00 pm

Thanks for your feedback. I don't have the game started, but it can't hurt to start sketching things out. I don't want it to be as dramatic as my fanfics, and hey, without Cranky Kong, how would new players know what to do? To awnser a few of your questions, it will normally be 2d, but the world map would be 3d. The clay aesthetic would work more like Kirby and the Rainbow Curse, since that's mainly where I got my inspiration. It would be on PC, but I don't think 2 players would be possible. Thanks for the feedback (by the way, your English is really good.
Tourist
Bananas received 2

Postby Phyreburnz » December 12th, 2015, 2:26 pm

Well, if it's a claymation game you're interested in making, take a look at both The Neverhood and it's sequel Skull Monkeys. The Neverhood is a point n click game and Skull Monkeys is a side-scrolling platformer. That should give you some ideas.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby vege » December 12th, 2015, 5:43 pm

You are welcome. :)

Cranky intentionally could to allow his own kidnapping to know where is Wrinkly, he could to leave recorded/written clues to the kongs to find the keys that allow open the doors of the castle of KKR or tips to get to destination safely.
Now I can imagine a Treacherous Temple ! http://www.microplay.cl/files/uploads/k ... crop-1.jpg
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 49

Postby Cranky Kong » December 13th, 2015, 1:47 am

Haha! Tnxs you guys. I was actually going for more of a Kirby and the Rainbow curse thing, but thanks for the suggestion.
Tourist
Bananas received 2

Return to DKC Projects/Fanworks