Custom Bosses

Working on your own project related to the Donkey Kong Country series?
This forum is your place to discuss fangames, artwork, stories and so forth which are DKC relevant.

Custom Bosses

Postby Cranky Kong » December 3rd, 2015, 10:56 am

Wow. I'm surprised that nobody has thought of this. So, if you are going to come up with a boss, your post must include the following:

1) The bosses name

2) How to beat the boss

3) The bosses attacks

Thanks, and I hope you enjoy!
Tourist
Bananas received 2

Re: Custom Bosses

Postby Qyzbud » December 3rd, 2015, 11:23 am

Actually, just such a topic appeared in the first month of this site's public life: Create Your Own Boss!

A little forum search goes a long way. :)
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby spaceman2028 » December 3rd, 2015, 12:32 pm

Ah, nice! A good spot for one of my crazier ideas(there was another one before this)!

Anyways, back on topic. A while back I posted this:
Spoiler!
So does anyone remember the Crash Bandicoot games for the GBA? They used the same kind of deal with DKC-3D rendered art on a 2D system. And it is from one of these games that I have an idea for a fan character that could go pretty well in DKC4.

Pictured here is the sprite sheet for N-Trance, from the game Crash Bandicoot 2: N-Tranced. I feel that somehow, this and other things from the GBA crash games would make perfect DKC related game material, including levels and such. For example, I myself tried making a DKC equivalent to N-Trance above, and, well, see for yourself.

:facepalm: :shakehead:

...yeeeaaaahhhh, dat image.

But anyways, as stated above, the boss, whose name is Kontrol, acts just like N. Trance from Crash Bandicoot 2 on the GBA. He has the same attacks, supposedly, and would thus have the same method to defeat him.

As I stated before, however, I had another boss idea, and that was a robotic version of King K Rool known as Karbon K. Rool!(yeah the name's fishy :kiddysad: )

(Warning: huge post!)
Spoiler!
He is basically a giant robotic kremling with a similar design to K. Rool, who acts like a big fusion of all 3 final boss fights from the DKC SNES trillogy, starting by flying around in a similar arena to Kastle Kaos(minus the Kaos mini-boss), and acting like Baron K. Roolenstein for the first few hits. Electricity will shoot out above the floor and three wooden platforms will hang above it. You start on one, pull the lever on the ceiling, and then grab the barrel on the other side. Only instead of a Steel Keg you get a TNT barrel, which you throw at Karbon's back when he's not looking your way to do damage normally. He uses a jet pack instead of a backpack with a propeller on it, which you can damage with the TNT barrels. This not only harms Karbon(and temporarily disables his jetpack), but also causes him to fall into the electricity! After two hits he gets frustrated about it and removes the levers to summon the TNT barrels, and the electricity goes away shortly. He will then start to fire grenades, just like KAOS, causing you to head to the other side. After this he will then reactivate the electricity for a brief moment. He repeats this until you do 2 hits of damage again, this time by going under him and jumping on his head, which stuns him. It doesn't damage him at all, but the electricity will activate while he is stunned, causing him damage again! For the next two hits the levers come back, and the electricity turns on again. This part acts like the first, except that there are more platforms to get to each side and Karbon now stays in one spot firing grenades! The TNT barrels will have the same effect as before, knocking him onto the ground and stopping him, before electrocuting him. After another round of this the DKC3 phase ends. Karbon, who has been electrocuted so much, will then go crazy and then jump on the electricity nodes, destroying them. He then lands on the ground and pulls out Kaptain K. Rool's blunderbuss, after which the battle acts like the lost world boss of DKC2 for the first hit. After the first hit he acts moves around the room, slowly turning invisible with each move. He then acts like he does on the final hit of the K.Rool Duel battle, before another hit blows up his bluderbuss! However, Karbon is not defeated, instead, he loses his arms and goes even more beserk, acting like in DKC1 where he jumps around, first doing the cannon stomp and then hopping around like in the final phase, before flinging his crown at you. Hit him in the head again and he will take damage. Four more hits and he will enter the semi-final phase of the boss fight. After too much damage for him to handle, Karbon's head flies off and he loses all control. He runs around the room like mad, shooting cannonballs into the air from where his head was, occasionally stopping to launch a barrel out from the front of his body, the barrel containing various things from enemies like Slippas and Klick-Klacks to a red mini cannonball. This red cannonball acts like the normal one, except that it explodes upon hitting something or waiting too long. Basically a smaller, more vicious TNT barrel. Hit Karbon with this four times and his legs will get blown clean off! But just when you think it's finally over, Karbon has one last move up his sleeves: his body will float up and move around the room, still shooting the cannonballs from the head area and the barrels from his body, but now occasionally dropping red dumb-drums that explode into random enemies and opening another part of his front body to reveal a pair of...eyes?! They fire off the same lasers as Kaos's first head does when it flies around the arena. Once 4 more hits are done into the boss, Karbon will finally be defeated. He will have static envelop his body, before it suddenly starts to go up in flames and begins to explode, flying off into the air like his head before crashing and exploding in the background.

There are a couple of things that can happen after this, the most likely being that a bunch of bananas start to rain from the sky as victory music plays in the background. The boss itself was initially made as the final boss idea for DKC4 that I randomly made up(it was different from this one, actually), hence the combo K.Rool battle.

And finally, here's some boss remix ideas:
Extremely Gnawty: A lot of people have requested this one. He is the step up from Really Gnawty, the Gorilla Glacier boss.
A red variant of the Karni Kong boss, which slams the ground causing firey shockwaves to travel across the ground. TNT barrels fall from the ceiling at the left of the arena, which you can use to damage the red Karni Kong.
A boss equivalent of Screech from DKC2. He acts like the Fake Crash boss in Crash Bandicoot 2:N. Tranced, in that you and Screech both move with each other in a mirror-like fashion, with various obstacles laid around the map(brambles, most likely). DKC2 kannons will fire down from platforms and into the play area, DKC3 kannons will fire from the side, and burning Dumb Drumbs will lie below the bottom, their fire occasionally intensifying to the point where it goes above the ground of the arena Squawks is in.

Hopefully it's a good start for this topic(or at least to revive the old one that died who-knows-how-long ago)!
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 26

Postby Cranky Kong » February 10th, 2016, 10:22 am

I finally came up with a boss for my jetpack level! :dixiehappy: It's a friggin giant bird. Yeaaah, that's a pretty stupid idea. Oh, yeah, I noticed some of you don't get the concept. It's for bosses from any fan product. So expect a lotta Kirby. I'd prefer DKC, but if you have other ideas, I'll definatly listen.
Tourist
Bananas received 2

Postby Cranky Kong » February 10th, 2016, 12:45 pm

For example!
Before this gets awkward...
A Yoshi's Island boss I created.
Spoiler!
So this boss actually uses a gimmick I created my self, said gimmick being that if Yoshi swallows a Koopa Troops with spikes, he will earn said spikes. So in this boss, Baby Bowser tries to land a ground-pound on you, so you better have swallowed one of those Koopas. Afterwards, good ol' Kamek sprinkles some pixie dust on B.B., making him big. And I mean really big. Remember fighting Cronos from God of War 3? Yeah. The goal here is to get through some platforming obstacles and eventually destroy Kamek, the magic's source.
Tourist
Bananas received 2

Postby Tonberry2000 » February 10th, 2016, 4:14 pm

I think a good theme for DKC4 would be Egyptian. We could have Pharaoh K. Ra. The name could change but it would be a fun theme. He could probably use snakes and come back as a mummy after he's beaten once.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 30

Return to DKC Projects/Fanworks