Donkey Kong Country Web Engine [Construct2/HTML5]

Working on your own project related to the Donkey Kong Country series?
This forum is your place to discuss fangames, artwork, stories and so forth which are DKC relevant.

Donkey Kong Country Web Engine [Construct2/HTML5]

Postby udivision » June 15th, 2013, 2:10 am

Click here to play a sample!

Develompment Engine: Construct 2
Coding: HTML5/Javascript
Works best in Google Chrome, since FireFox doesn't support WebGL!

What is it?
The DKCW engine is an HTML5 based game engine made using Scirra's Construct 2. When released, anyone using Construct 2 will be able to create their own broswer based Donkey Kong Country games, free for everyone to play. Our aim isn't to make a game, it's for fans to make their own.

What's it current status?
As of this post, and for the time being, the DKCW is not finished. What we want to do is gauge interest before continuing with development.

What can I do?
Simply play the demo made using the engine, give us feed back, and share the game with other people. All we need to see is sufficient interest before we decide on continuing development.

Current Feature Set:
-Support for different characters with different stats (jump height, speed, etc...)
-Blast Barrels
-Moving Platforms
-Walking/Jumping Enemies
-Flying Enemies
-Bananas!
-Flying Levels (With Funky Kong)

Planned Feature Set:
-Implementation of Diddy, Dixie, and Kiddy
-Support for Animal Buddy Transformations
-Barrel Interaction (Pick Up/Throw)
-More stage features (Bouncy Tires, Crocodile Heads)
-Bonuses
-etc...

Videos:
Video: Sample Boss

Video: Sample Level

Video: Chrome V. FireFox

Screenshots

More:
Spoiler!
ImageImageImage
Tourist
Bananas received 10

Re: Donkey Kong Country X Engine [Construct2/HTML5]

Postby Simion32 » June 15th, 2013, 2:46 am

The name Donkey Kong Country X is ALREADY TAKEN by VideoViking, an esteemed member of this forum. Although that's a fangame to be built in my DELTA Suite, not an engine in and of itself.

I suggest you change the name, or possibly work something out with him. :scratch:

This couldn't go over well at all if we have two fan-things named the same thing. :shakehead:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby udivision » June 15th, 2013, 2:58 am

Oh, I wouldn't want to cause a problem. Could you just delete the thread? (I'm assuming you're a mod, heh)
Tourist
Bananas received 10

Postby Simion32 » June 15th, 2013, 4:45 am

No, you should still keep this thread. We can just rename the thread and edit the first post, or something.

I just don't want there to be a name conflict (in order to prevent confusion). That's all. :)

Also: As far as I'm aware you haven't broken any rules - don't sweat it. ;)

P.S. I am helping with the programming side of VideoViking's project - so yeah, I actually do have some authority to say something about it.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby VideoViking » June 15th, 2013, 4:54 am

Udivision, yeah, I'm going to have to ask that you please change the name. Donkey Kong Country X has been with me for a very long time. I've been in the process of creating levels for my game, some of which have already been tested to the current capabilities of the Resource Editor. Many of my ideas are currently being invested, or have been incorporated into Simion's Delta Suite. I've already experienced an event where someone tried to use one of my creations without permission. This game, this name is very dear to me. Please understand my issues.

I do like the title image that you created. It could prove useful to my game in the future. Could you send me a large PNG version of just the title name and the X symbol as separate images?
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 41

Re: Donkey Kong Country Web Engine [Construct2/HTML5]

Postby Markster » June 15th, 2013, 6:10 am

I've never seen DKC fan engines made in HTML5, that's quite amazing in my opinion.

Spoiler!
I really need to finish up on my fanengine. :oops:
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 37

Postby udivision » June 15th, 2013, 6:26 am

@Markester Construct 2 is a rival game engine of sorts for Game Maker, but less popular.

@VideoViking I'll send you the pics later today, and I'll get around to updating the name in the other places I've posted this.
Tourist
Bananas received 10

Postby Qyzbud » June 16th, 2013, 2:04 pm

Hi udivision, welcome to DKC Atlas!

Sorry for the delayed response — I'm sure you can appreciate that there's a lot going on at the moment with the announcement of Tropical Freeze, etc... but anyway, I'm very impressed with the quality of this web-based engine you've been working on, and I really hope you decide to continue development. There are a few different DKC engines being developed at the moment, but a web-based engine is a brilliant idea, and I can see from what you've shown so far that it's a viable platform for... well, platform games. :P

Fantastic work so far — I see a lot of promise in this engine!

Edit: By the way, thank you for respecting VideoViking's 'reserved' project name — very courteous of you. :) I think using the letter 'W' does suit your project better, anyway; it helps evoke the 'Web-based' nature of the engine... and it also puts your project before VideoViking's in any alphabetically-sorted lists! ;)
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby udivision » June 17th, 2013, 8:51 am

Thanks. I guess I just liked the idea of having a web based engine because it can be more accessible. You don't have to download the games, updates can happen without patching or redownloading, and sharing it is as easy as sharing a YouTube video. Admittedly, the name DKC Web does make a lot more sense for what I'm doing so I don't mind having had to change it.
Tourist
Bananas received 10

Postby Simion32 » June 17th, 2013, 9:10 am

***Actually you DO have to download it.*** (but it happens automatically.) It has to get on your PC screen somehow.
If you are serving up any kind of content from the internet, it MUST be downloaded in order to be viewed. Even if it is just streamed. The very definition of downloading is to receive data from another computer.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby udivision » June 17th, 2013, 10:14 am

Technically, of course.
But having that happen automatically, in the browser, and without having to run an EXE makes a huge difference.
Tourist
Bananas received 10

Postby Phyreburnz » June 17th, 2013, 12:25 pm

Well, I just played both and so far these are the only problems. When you hold in the z button, he rolls continuously, instead of just rolling once and stopping. Every enemy makes the same "defeated" noise. Also, as you've mentioned some of the physics are off, such as barrel blasting and jumping is just a little off feeling to me.

I had a question for you, but I forgot what it was... so I'll ask it when it decides to come back to me... :roll:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby udivision » July 19th, 2013, 9:34 am

Hey guys, long time no update.

What's new:
-Picking Up/Throwing Barrels
-Rolling Bouncy Tires/Stationary Bounce Tires
-New, original Stage Graphics
-World Map System (based on a photo album)

What's changed:
-Jump Physics
-Roll Physics
-Donkey's overall speed/jump height

My goal is to have several levels in this world, each showing off different enemies and stage styles including mine carts, animal transformations, vertically oriented stages, and potentially new, puzzle solving levels. With all those examples and some documentation, it will be easier for people to make their own game based on the engine, I hope.

I was wondering if there was a source of Animated Gifs for sprites of the game that I could use to speed things along, as I currently just use sprite sheets.
Tourist
Bananas received 10

Postby Cyclone » July 19th, 2013, 1:44 pm

Nice update. This fan game looks really promising. Can't wait for to play it.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 559

Postby Qyzbud » July 19th, 2013, 1:49 pm

It's good to see some progress!

Feel free to use the animated GIFs I created for my level mapping project; there's no download page for them currently, but all you have to do is turn off the FG and OVERLAYS layers, then each animation should be easy to save via right-clicking.

That might save you a bit of time. :)
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Simion32 » July 19th, 2013, 4:08 pm

Even better, just save the entire page and you get the files directly. ;)
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby udivision » July 19th, 2013, 4:18 pm

^Oh nice, I'll be sure to use the sprites from the mapping project.

Cyclone wrote:Nice update. This fan game looks really promising. Can't wait for to play it.

You can actually play it now if you want. It's not going to be a full fledged game though, just a system for people to make their own.
Tourist
Bananas received 10

Postby EvangeliKong » July 19th, 2013, 6:18 pm

I really like this, there weren't any glitches and sound worked perfectly.
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 3

Postby Super Luigi! » July 21st, 2013, 10:11 am

My goodness, how could I have not seen this before? udivision, you are indeed a gentleman (Or a lady, I can't tell.) and a scholar. This project right there, I'm telling you, THIS VERY PROJECT, brings a new hope to the poor beggars who reside in some miniscule land inside the Kingdom of Qyzbud. You are amazing! It's the people like you that wake me up in the morning, the ones who fight the good fight for eight hours a day, plus double overtime with no extra pay, nay no pay at all. Your idea is so simple and yet so complex. It's obvious, yet mysterious. I'll say it again my boy/girl, :rant: you really do make your elders proud. I can see it now, your dear old mom :dixiehappy: and dad :diddyrock: sitting on the comfy couch in your wondrous abode. Then your handsome Dad turns to Mom and says, :scratch: "My most precious darling, we shall have a child. He or she will be a magnificent child, one that accomplishes great things, brings hope and light to our tired and dark world, and who is a hero to children everywhere! Let us commence the creation of our exuberant offspring immediately!" And your beautiful Mom replies, :dixiecry: "Yes indeed, we must bring forth a true champion to save us all. Oh, look at me, I'm all teared up about the whole situation!" So then, you were born, grew up, and became a true (wo)man. Now you have brought forth what was prophesized from ages ago. You have set out on your heroic and honorable quest to enlighten all of those dark souls that still dwell in this barren and bleak void. So I say to you, dear sir or madam, press on in your noble endeavor, defeat all obstacles that dare cross your path, and accomplish your ultimate goal: To bring sweet, glorious freedom to the entirety of not just DKC fans, nay even the world, but to the absolute majority of the universe!
Good luck, and may God bless you!

In other news, your game seems to be really coming together.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 302

Postby udivision » July 26th, 2013, 8:35 am

^That's.... quite a post.

I guess I'll follow it with a teaser for the next update:

Water and Carting will make their debut in the next update. Just like DKC3, Barrels will float in the water. Also, Donkey is able to perform Kiddy's water roll bounce thing.... You'll also be able to swim just like in any DKC game.

The 5 levels are shaping up to be this: General Stage, Underwater Stage, Mine Cart Stage, Gimmick Stage and Boss Stage.
When I finish the layout of the stages, then I'll work on "porting" the enemies, backgrounds, and all that good stuff from the trilogy.
Tourist
Bananas received 10

Postby Super Luigi! » July 26th, 2013, 1:49 pm

Thank you for the update, udivision. I must say, your screenshots look really detailed and give me the feel of the action and suspense. Keep up the good work, so that you can FUFILL YOUR DESTINY!
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 302

Postby Qyzbud » July 26th, 2013, 5:04 pm

Exciting developments are afoot!

I have to say; the forest, water and swamp layers that you've brought together for the first scene in the teaser look really nice together — a seamless blend of elements from all three games.

I can't wait to check it out!
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby udivision » August 1st, 2013, 1:34 am

^Thanks. You can see how they look in motion in this new video.

This shows off some changes that will be in version r4.
Tourist
Bananas received 10

Postby Phyreburnz » August 1st, 2013, 8:03 am

Hey, I noticed that you're using elements from more than the first game (hooks, specifically). I would like you to know, in case you haven't seen them (and I'll provide a link later as I'm currently on my phone), but I made a ton of custom sprites (most to all of them are in both animated gif form and on sprite sheets). I did my best to make every Kong compatible with every DKC game. If you look through the dkc-related sprite animation section, you can see most of them, some are early versions, so I have my deviantart page filled with the most recent ones if you're interested.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Super Luigi! » August 1st, 2013, 1:37 pm

Ewww... Saliva Sea! Gross bodily functions of the mouth aside, did I really just see DK bounce off water? I wonder what you plan to do next with this game?
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 302

Postby udivision » August 2nd, 2013, 6:23 am

@Phyreburnz I saw those and they're really well done! I'll get around to incorporating your work when I can.

@Super Luigi! Well, you're in the mouth of giant Crocodile cave thing so...

But yeah, DK (and eventually Kiddy) can do the water bounce although as it is now DK can only do it once. I plan on adding some original moves to the Kongs as well.
Tourist
Bananas received 10

Postby Qyzbud » August 4th, 2013, 12:17 pm

Hmm, it's all coming together very nicely; I especially like the look of the cavernous, hazy, underwater area at the end of the video — very atmospheric!

Keep up the good work. :D
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby DaniellMesquita » December 1st, 2014, 3:51 pm

Please, give us the project .capx file. Is an good idea upload the source of project in Github for an better interation and help. :thumbs:
Newcomer

Return to DKC Projects/Fanworks