Donkey Kong Country DooM (demo released)

Working on your own project related to the Donkey Kong Country series?
This forum is your place to discuss fangames, artwork, stories and so forth which are DKC relevant.

Re: Donkey Kong Country using the zdoom engine

Postby VideoViking » March 25th, 2014, 8:51 am

Do you plan on adding animal buddies? That above water level demo was calling out for Enguarde.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 41

Postby doomero » March 25th, 2014, 11:49 pm

VideoViking wrote:Do you plan on adding animal buddies? That above water level demo was calling out for Enguarde.

Yes, but still working with Donkey Kong, he is the template for the rest of the characters.
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 77

Postby Simion32 » March 29th, 2014, 3:06 am

:shock:

...that looks awesome! Multi-planar gameplay, finally! :thumbs:

I could learn a thing or two from your level designs. :P
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Phyreburnz » March 29th, 2014, 6:43 am

Doomero, seriously, that is amazing as hell! I was taken aback by how marvelous your level design was! Absolutely fantastic! This is, by far, your most AMAZING AND TERRIFIC level yet! :thumbs: :dixiehappy: :kiddycool: :swanky: B/
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby VideoViking » March 29th, 2014, 8:14 am

There needs to be Hunters in that level! That is just crazy!
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 41

Postby Super Luigi! » March 29th, 2014, 11:47 am

I agree with everyone else. doomero, that level was amazing. I'm sure we're all proud to have you as a fellow Atlasite!
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 301

Postby doomero » March 31st, 2014, 3:49 am

Thank you guys!!

That level was very funny to build.

Now the boss level of episode 1:

the ep 1 will contain 10 levels, i have 9, the number 10 is the secret level and the most terrific.
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 77

Postby Super Luigi! » March 31st, 2014, 8:11 am

Once again, excellent job doomero! While I'm not sure what was happening to the music and sound effects, I enjoyed the boss fight itself. Also, I think your lighting effects in the castle are neat.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 301

Postby doomero » March 31st, 2014, 9:05 am

Super Luigi! wrote:Once again, excellent job doomero! While I'm not sure what was happening to the music and sound effects, I enjoyed the boss fight itself. Also, I think your lighting effects in the castle are neat.

Is becuase i used the pan sound of kaptain krool and not king krool and maybe the sound of the crown is different....
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 77

Postby Simion32 » March 31st, 2014, 9:30 am

The sound volume fluctuates throughout the video (as DK moves around). Possibly a GZDoom level building issue? :/
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby doomero » April 14th, 2014, 10:34 am

New level, this is the secret map, only avaible if you found all the bonus koins.
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 77

Postby Super Luigi! » April 14th, 2014, 11:34 am

I like the part where Kloak threw something. Very nice level, doomero. The trees are very shapely, and you used many different types of ghosts, such as Mini-Kackles, effectively.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 301

Postby Cyclone » April 14th, 2014, 11:36 am

Another great level from you! can't wait to play it.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 559

Postby Qyzbud » April 14th, 2014, 12:14 pm

Looks very challenging, and the 'haunted forest' theme is a winner.

Interesting use of creepy/intense music from another Rare franchise of the SNES era. :)
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby sonosublime » April 14th, 2014, 12:33 pm

Very impressive what you've done, and I can't wait to play it.

The main thing I've noticed is that your levels leave absolutely no room for error, which may drive away players.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 228

Postby doomero » April 14th, 2014, 12:41 pm

sonosublime wrote:Very impressive what you've done, and I can't wait to play it.

The main thing I've noticed is that your levels leave absolutely no room for error, which may drive away players.

I noticed various bugs, but are not critical.
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 77

Postby VideoViking » April 14th, 2014, 1:49 pm

Can you kill the Kloaks in the demo?
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 41

Postby doomero » April 14th, 2014, 2:00 pm

VideoViking wrote:Can you kill the Kloaks in the demo?

I not coded the property for grab barrels for Donkey Kong, but i will.... and that mean kill Kloak with that.
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 77

Postby doomero » April 22nd, 2014, 12:34 am

A gameplay of episode 1, the mission: rescue Diddy. The progress of the demo is 80%.

For to do:

Include the property for grab barrels.
Include animal friends (Rambi, Enguarde, etc).
Fix bugs.
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 77

Postby VideoViking » April 22nd, 2014, 5:03 am

My major problem with the game is that the sound keeps dropping in and out. This is both background music and sound effects (I think).

Knowing that this uses the Doom engine, I wanted to ask if you know of any 3D artists. I'm still looking for someone to do my Hunters.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 41

Postby doomero » April 23rd, 2014, 6:16 am

VideoViking wrote:My major problem with the game is that the sound keeps dropping in and out. This is both background music and sound effects (I think).

Knowing that this uses the Doom engine, I wanted to ask if you know of any 3D artists. I'm still looking for someone to do my Hunters.

The sounds issue is a problem of the video converter. I know people using 3d models: is called cynertron he use a lot blender or 3d max.
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 77

Postby VideoViking » April 23rd, 2014, 7:20 am

Do you mean Cynertron or Cybertron? Also, does he have a website or artist account?
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 41

Postby doomero » July 17th, 2014, 3:52 pm

Enguarde =)

I am working with Rambi now, is a little complex, but possible.

another progress

Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 77

Postby Super Luigi! » July 18th, 2014, 1:49 pm

Very nice indeed! I like how the Kudgel battle went, although I couldn't read the dialogue. Also, why does Enguarde get hurt when he swims into an enemy? Shouldn't he automatically defeat it? The Klubba battle was hilarious with your music choice! He seems to fight just like Kudgel though, which isn't inherently bad, just rather unexpected. I know they both look alike, but wouldn't Klubba be the tougher fighter? The follow-up K. Rool battle is nice and seems just like the one you showed us earlier. AND THEN MINECART! Oh, and now DK's suddenly been apenapped! Wait, Kaptain and K. Roolenstein? PLASMA TV?!? Strange things are happening here on DK Island! What will happen next?
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 301

Postby doomero » July 18th, 2014, 3:34 pm

Super Luigi! wrote:Very nice indeed! I like how the Kudgel battle went, although I couldn't read the dialogue. Also, why does Enguarde get hurt when he swims into an enemy? Shouldn't he automatically defeat it? The Klubba battle was hilarious with your music choice! He seems to fight just like Kudgel though, which isn't inherently bad, just rather unexpected. I know they both look alike, but wouldn't Klubba be the tougher fighter? The follow-up K. Rool battle is nice and seems just like the one you showed us earlier. AND THEN MINECART! Oh, and now DK's suddenly been apenapped! Wait, Kaptain and K. Roolenstein? PLASMA TV?!? Strange things are happening here on DK Island! What will happen next?

The reason why appear the 3 Krools, is becuase dr Kroolestein create a time machine and that explain why appear all the enemies from the 3 DKC series. Also he explain the guy on the plasma tv (called "icon of sin")is the real enemy.
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 77

Postby Qyzbud » July 18th, 2014, 3:46 pm

Well done adding Enguarde, and scripting these boss battles — very impressive! I also like your idea of having Klubba defend K. Rool (if you don't pay up, of course!). If only his master knew how easily he is persuaded to step aside with a few shiny coins... :dixiehappy:

Definitely some impressive efforts going on, but there are a few things that really could stand to be improved.

Firstly, I've not heard any mention of the hit detection yet, but it seems as though this aspect of the engine could use a bit of work. I've no idea what ZDoom is like to work with when it comes to object interactions, but hopefully it wouldn't be too difficult to improve the way the engine registers a successful jump attack vs. being hit by the baddy, etc.

With regard to the graphics, everything kind of looks kind of stretched, blurry, and somewhat like how Rare's GBA ports did — low quality and washed-out. As I mentioned on chat, I've created a side by side comparison to show the degraded quality I see in the terrain/background graphics:

SNES vs ZDoom.png
SNES vs ZDoom.png (258.66 KiB) Viewed 89185 times

• It looks to me as though the terrain graphics (spooky trees, etc.) are stretched to be considerably wider than they ought to be.
  • I'm also seeing coloured bits on the spooky brown tree (especially near the bottom) that seem to be conversion/compression related.
  • The tall, grey and black trees behind Kudgel look particularly low in quality — where did they originally come from?

Overall, I'm sure things would look better if the YouTube video wasn't so low in quality/resolution, but there must be a thing or two going on to degrade the graphics like that (in ZDoom, or whatever) before the video is even captured.

Also, others have mentioned the audio volume issues (as I did, back in January), so hopefully that can get straightened out, too.

Otherwise, there's lots of ingenuity and creativity going on here, so I've enjoyed watching this project evolve. Keep it up! :thumbs:
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby doomero » July 18th, 2014, 4:17 pm

Like i said on the chat, that could be enhanced on gl options of gzdoom, you can choose the style of the textures and also i played with low resolution 640 x 480 and with format factory forced to 720 x 480 (that decrece more the quality).
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 77

Postby Rux Ton » August 10th, 2014, 5:02 am

I watched through some of these and wow, at first i judged the idea to be off but when I watched through ... I am highly impressed! This is a REALLY great idea! And that secret level is really AWESOME!

My only complaint is the camera seems a bit weird maybe at times? And the physics seem a bit strange at times as well (But i know its apparently really hard to capture the actual physics from those games so I don't really mind at all :P)
I really want to play this bahah. Your level design, and style of graphic-usage in here makes the series have like an extra bit of dimension with the whole wrapping of textures thing. UGH this is SO neat! Keep it up man I wanna see more of this! :kiddycool:
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 17

Postby doomero » September 3rd, 2014, 11:32 am

Into few days i will release the demo, only i need to include the life balloons and fix some bugs.....
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 77

Postby doomero » September 11th, 2014, 7:26 am

Ok, guys the demo was released =)
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 77

Re: Donkey Kong Country DooM (demo released)

Postby spaceman2028 » September 11th, 2014, 8:28 am

Rad, i'll probably check it out sooner or later.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 26

Postby Phyreburnz » September 11th, 2014, 12:54 pm

I'm having some problems with this.... first, there is no sound for me. I don't know why or how to fix that. Second, I don't know what controls are the y and b buttons. I don't see any options for those at all. I don't know what controls they should be. If you don't understand, I can take a screenshot of the controls options and show you.

*edit* I'm watching the video you posted for the demo and it looks like you have the animation of Necky backwards. If you got sprites from The Spriters Resource, they often times do not have the animations correct as far as the order goes.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby doomero » September 12th, 2014, 3:05 am

Phyreburnz wrote:I'm having some problems with this.... first, there is no sound for me. I don't know why or how to fix that. Second, I don't know what controls are the y and b buttons. I don't see any options for those at all. I don't know what controls they should be. If you don't understand, I can take a screenshot of the controls options and show you.

*edit* I'm watching the video you posted for the demo and it looks like you have the animation of Necky backwards. If you got sprites from The Spriters Resource, they often times do not have the animations correct as far as the order goes.

The buttons Y and B, ok, go to options, later to customize controls, you will see a list of buttons right? (like primary fire, secundary fire, etc), later press down, keep falling, and you will found the Y button and B button.

Later configure the crouch button, is called "back" is not the doom crouch button.
Forward button (is up for enguarde)
strafe left and strafe right (for move the character).

About the sound, is weird should work.
And yes, i used the Necky from sprites resource, this is a demo dude so the final version that thing could be fixed.
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 77

Postby Phyreburnz » September 12th, 2014, 10:28 am

I'll take a screenshot later and show you what I mean. I'm not seeing b or y as an option.

*EDIT* never mind, I found it. Sorry about that. Still no sound, though... maybe I'll try it on windows xp instead of 8?
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby spaceman2028 » September 12th, 2014, 11:42 am

Qyzbud wrote:The tall, grey and black trees behind Kudgel look particularly low in quality — where did they originally come from?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-ymNYwN9d4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ILKulH8ew0
Somehow i think those trees are either from Forest Frenzy or a part of the "Woods" levels in DKC2. Those spooky face trees, however, look certainly like something outta DKC2/DKC3.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 26

Postby doomero » September 13th, 2014, 12:41 am

Phyreburnz wrote:I'll take a screenshot later and show you what I mean. I'm not seeing b or y as an option.

*EDIT* never mind, I found it. Sorry about that. Still no sound, though... maybe I'll try it on windows xp instead of 8?

Hmm could be, i don't know if gzdoom support windows 8.
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 77

Postby Goe » September 16th, 2014, 10:16 pm

Finally Kaptain K Rool and Baron K Roolenstein kidnapped Donkey. Are you planning a second game in that you must rescue Donkey?
Goe
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 2

Postby doomero » September 17th, 2014, 9:09 am

Goe wrote:Finally Kaptain K Rool and Baron K Roolenstein kidnapped Donkey. Are you planning a second game in that you must rescue Donkey?

Yes, Diddy will rescue Donkey.
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 77

Postby spaceman2028 » September 17th, 2014, 10:39 am

I'm just going to assume that will happen after this first part of the game is complete, and then afterwards the second half is diddy going to crocodile isle or the northern kemisphere to save DK from either Kaptain or Baron, and vice versa.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 26

Postby Gaz » September 17th, 2014, 10:39 am

I have a feeling that the game could use a little bit of cleanup. I suggest more fluid animations, speech bubbles (with specific character icons)? That's about all I can think of right now.
Gaz
Taster of Pork
Bananas received 47

Postby doomero » September 17th, 2014, 10:51 am

spaceman2028 wrote:I'm just going to assume that will happen after this first part of the game is complete, and then afterwards the second half is diddy going to crocodile isle or the northern kemisphere to save DK from either Kaptain or Baron, and vice versa.

Hmm, well i am thinking what class of maps i will include later, but will be the 50% from dkc2 and the rest from dkc1 and dkc3.
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 77

Postby Goe » September 18th, 2014, 12:36 am

OK then, doomero. I'll complete the first game and when you release the second, I'll download and complete it too. Good work
Goe
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 2

Postby Simion32 » September 18th, 2014, 9:34 am

I've evaluated the game using JoyToKey - the physics and control response are utter crap. :facepalm:

I got stuck on the Lava level because it's impossible to coordinate enough to be able to land on the crocs accurately enough to proceed.

Graphics look OK, but are too fuzzy when upscaled. I really thought this would be more playable when seeing the YouTube videos, but alas, I am yet again disappointed in the game having run aground due to poor playability.

As for level design, you certainly get 10/10 for great designs and effort. But... if only they were playable.

Graphics - 7/10
Music - 9/10 (Some Audio Issues)
Sfx - 7/10 (some programming errors in sfx playback, especially Barrel Cannons)
Physics/Controls - 3/10, very poor
Levels - 10/10 if it was actually playable.
Overall Rating: 6.4 of 10
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby doomero » September 18th, 2014, 1:06 pm

Good evaluation, also the weak point of doom engine is the physis, i had the same problem with mortal kombat doom.
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 77

Postby sonosublime » September 18th, 2014, 1:23 pm

A problem I noticed is that the jumps require far too much precision. A big no-no of platform game design is making jumps that can only be made with absolutely no margin for error. Tweaking the levels a bit would make the game a lot more accessible.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 228

Postby ParkerLewis » September 9th, 2015, 8:51 am

Hi guys,

has there been any news on this project ? When I saw the video demoed a few months it seemed awesome, but no news since then.

Any progress ? Any idea if there are any ways for controls to be better (porting to another engine than doom ?)

Also, does anyone know where I could find the videos from when the demo was released ? All posted links seem dead.

Thanks
Newcomer

Postby BlueTronic » September 10th, 2015, 3:30 am

Why isn't this called Doomkey Kong Country Doomo? :huh:
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

PreviousNext

Return to DKC Projects/Fanworks