DKC Atlas Mapping Project

Working on your own project related to the Donkey Kong Country series?
This forum is your place to discuss fangames, artwork, stories and so forth which are DKC relevant.

Re: DKC Level Mapping Project for DKC Atlas

Postby Jomingo » August 22nd, 2008, 11:50 am

Well, that worked for me. It's all good now.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby gamer_boy997 » August 22nd, 2008, 11:51 am

I checked the maps again, and it's working fine, I didn't even have to full refresh, it just starting working again.
Seeker of Secrets
Bananas received 2

Postby Qyzbud » August 22nd, 2008, 2:53 pm

You gotta love it when bugs fix themselves... :D

I 'promised' to have Tree Top Town finished for today's update, but due to a combination of unusual and unrelated circumstances, I'll have to make a small update today, and put some more time into mapping over the weekend. The primary issue here is that my Tree Top Town map was laid out in Photoshop incorrectly, as I had estimated the distances between terrain sections (which was tricky, as there weren't many points of reference, and many of them were moving when I tried to capture them!). Simion's Zero-Speed patch and Resource Extractor will enable me to get everything spot on (Cheers mate), but it's going to take a fair bit of time, still.

In the meantime, I've accurately mapped the single bananas and the banana caches, so check 'em out if you simply have to see a bit of mapping progress. I'll finish the job soon... in fact I could still have finished it today as promised if it wasn't for that unfortunate series of events...

My other excuses:
Spoiler!
I'm heading off to work in an hour or so, and need to clean the house and pack my things (just finishing a house/dog sitting stint) before I leave. It's my mum's birthday today, too, so we're heading out for a family dinner straight after I finish work... There goes my day. :roll:
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby gamer_boy997 » August 24th, 2008, 3:11 pm

I realized you finished the sprites on Tree Top Town, but it still says on the to-do list that you need to work on the sprites for it...

I also noticed you updated the list, thanks!
Seeker of Secrets
Bananas received 2

Postby Qyzbud » August 24th, 2008, 4:21 pm

Okay, well that's all cleared up now... as I've just uploaded the completed Tree Top Town map. :)

Now you can marvel at those strangely positioned baddies while I go about mapping Forest Frenzy's massive flock of Neckys! I can hardly wait to see how that Necky formation looks when seen in its entirety.
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Qyzbud » August 27th, 2008, 3:20 am

Forest Frenzy is now fully mapped; it has taken me into the wee hours of this morning, but hey - I just couldn't wait to check out that enormous Necky flock... Fifteen of the darn things! (actually, sixteen if you include the one out in front) :o

Now I had better get some sleep. *yawn* (hopefully counting Neckys works the same way as counting sheep...)
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Kiddy14 » September 4th, 2008, 1:00 pm

Temple Tempest's not complete! :o
But it says it is... :?
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Postby Qyzbud » September 4th, 2008, 2:18 pm

Oh? What am I missing? You could be more helpful, if you wanted... :roll:

Edit: Ah... I'd forgotten to upload the sprite of DK in his starting position, and the animated midway barrel. *fixed* Is that all?

While we're discussing the (now complete) Temple Tempest map, what do you think of my artistic variation of the temple background? The actual in-game background looked horrible to me when used as the background for the temple level maps, so I reworked it to something which I find much more appealing. I think I may end up doing something like this for all levels, as it's a nice way to give these maps a more attractive appearance without messing too much with authenticity.
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Kiddy14 » September 4th, 2008, 3:03 pm

Yes :D I like teasing xD

I remember I saw the background the same day I saw DK was missing. Then I forgot about it and just today remember, but only about DK.
I like it, SNES's original was too pixelated; of course it looks awesome with sprites (being the sprites pixelated), but not to awesome game background graphics (that look ok in-game but not extracted =(). It kind of clashed with the temple archetype.
In other words, I like it =)
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Postby Qyzbud » September 7th, 2008, 12:37 am

A new map to add today - which level? Well those playing at home will probably have guessed it... yes, Orang-utan Gang joins the list.

This is the first map to feature individually toggleable overlay sub-layers, so you can now view the locations of bonus areas, see where hidden banana bunches are buried, and reveal what objects are to be found in item caches - all independantly of each other. It's all about seeing what you want to see without filling the scene with clutter.
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Qyzbud » September 8th, 2008, 4:19 pm

Copy/pasted from the DKC Atlas update:

I've finished the map of Clam City, which completes the collection of Vine Valley maps. That's three worlds down, three to go! Of course then there are the animal buddy/regular bonus areas... oh, and the entirety of DKC2 and DKC3...

I guess it's fair to say this project is still in its early stages. ;)

I'm still working on Coral Capers and Clam City a little; both maps now have bubbles which can be toggled on as a foreground effect, and I'm working on ways to show which directions Clambos shoot. I think of these things as 'extras', and I consider the maps complete even without such additions. Still, more info is always handy, eh?
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Qyzbud » September 9th, 2008, 4:25 pm

Ah, you're most correct and I thank you kindly.

Fixed!
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby gamer_boy997 » October 30th, 2008, 1:44 am

Sorry to bump the topic, but I realized that Snow Barrel Blast is finished, the only thing missing is DK's starting position, yet, it says it's incomplete, and that the sprites and caches need to be added...
Seeker of Secrets
Bananas received 2

Postby The Guy » October 30th, 2008, 6:55 am

Strange. When I looked at it, all I saw was the foreground graphics, the barrel locations, and the backround...
Veteran Venturer

Postby Krow111 » October 30th, 2008, 12:19 pm

For the Stop & Go Station map, it says under To Do List to toggle green/red light effect. That can already be done by clicking the FG button and turning both 1 and 2 off. If you put 1 on, it will have a green light effect. If you put 2 on, it will have a red light effect.
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 3

Postby Qyzbud » October 30th, 2008, 2:17 pm

Looks like some of you observant Atlas viewers have noticed my recent work on the Snow Barrel Blast map, which has now been completed. I haven't fully checked it out, as I've uploaded/updated all files from my phone. (Wow! Technology these days, eh?)

Let me know if anything needs to be fixed!

I'll update links and other info to reflect SBB's completion, and post the official site update real soon.
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Simion32 » January 3rd, 2009, 7:54 pm

King Zing Sting & Parrot Chute Panic + Bonuses
Spoiler!
Best viewed using Firefox (2.23 MB).
While I haven't quite gotten the automatic extraction down yet, I forced it to use the correct GFX offset for Wasp Hive levels just to test and see what they are like... The first 2 hive levels (Hornet Hole, Rambi Rumble) aren't that surprising in structure...
...but this one is rather unique: It's an overwhelming 449 tiles tall!

I just thought it would be nice to post a 'preview' of a non-bramble level that hasn't already been mapped. ;)

EDIT: Here's the image of Bramble Blast that I posted earlier in the DKCRE thread:
Bramble Blast + Bonuses
Spoiler!
[96 tiles wide, 88 tiles tall]
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Raccoon Sam » January 3rd, 2009, 10:06 pm

That's really cool..! Sprite placement system has already been figured out, too, so theoretically all that remains is figuring out how the sprites themselves are built.
Unless you're willing to use ripped sprites.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 35

Postby Kiddy14 » January 4th, 2009, 2:13 pm

For some strange reason, I can't toggle any foreground in the Map Viewer.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Postby Qyzbud » January 4th, 2009, 2:28 pm

Thanks for the reminder, Kiddy... I think I broke the foregrounds when I recoded the map viewer to handle DKC2 maps as well. That shouldn't take me too long to fix. While I'm poking around in the mapping sector, I'll see what I can do about bringing Pirate Panic to life a little. ;)

EDIT: The foreground layers are working again. I had disabled them to make things clearer on my end, and had neglected to put them back how they were meant to be... :roll:
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Qyzbud » January 9th, 2009, 9:31 pm

Copied from the latest Atlas update:

Following a wise suggestion by Rodent, I have added a trail of 'breadcrumbs' to the Level Map Viewer (LMV) interface, to help you navigate back through the map sections (or return to the home page). Whilst adding this feature, I also restructured the LMV so that maps for all three games are shown using the same template. This will make it much more efficient to improve the LMV's design and features across the board in the future. This was a pretty significant structural change, so please let me know if you find any problems with the maps, or other parts of the site.

I've also worked on the Pirate Panic map, so the single bananas are now visible. I hope to get that map finished tomorrow, and I'll aim to get Mainbrace Mayhem underway shortly thereafter. If all goes well, the first of DKC3's maps ought to be available by next week

Check out the result of these changes: Pirate Panic map
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Qyzbud » January 11th, 2009, 10:57 am

I've decided to get the DKC2 maps off to an eye-catching start by animating pretty much everything! So far I haven't done this with bananas, but perhaps I'll work out a good way of doing this sometime down the track.

Pirate Panic map
(same link as above, of course)

I'm about to start adding the baddies... just thought I'd share my work in progress. Let me know what you think. :)
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby gamer_boy997 » January 11th, 2009, 11:06 am

Wow! :o Everything on that map is animated, except the bananas.

Also, perhaps you could somehow indicate what the level target has?
Seeker of Secrets
Bananas received 2

Postby Simion32 » January 11th, 2009, 11:19 am

The animation is nice!

For the bananas, remember that "banana formula" I posted in the DKCLB topic? That may be useful in determining a way to animate bananas. Of course, if you're using GIF, that's a different matter entirely. Bananas are animated at a speed of 4 frames per image; in the case of GIF I'm not sure what an equivalent setting is (GIF is calculated in tenths of a second per image, not frames per image).
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Qyzbud » January 11th, 2009, 12:00 pm

gamer_boy997 wrote:perhaps you could somehow indicate what the level target has?

This won't be too tricky, I'll do it now. :)
Edit: Done.

Simion32 wrote:[The] "banana formula" I posted in the DKCLB topic (...) may be useful in determining a way to animate bananas. Of course, if you're using GIF, that's a different matter entirely. Bananas are animated at a speed of 4 frames per image; in the case of GIF I'm not sure what an equivalent setting is (GIF is calculated in tenths of a second per image, not frames per image).

At this stage, I would just use GIF animations for simplicity's sake, although I'm sure there are better/more efficient alternatives. Getting the animation speed perfect is something I'm not too fussy about at this point.

Something I've noticed:
For those unaware, I use PAR codes (7E002800 for DKC, 7E002A00 for DKC2) to 'freeze' the banana animations when I take screenshots for mapping. At first glance it looks like the bananas of any given banana set in DKC2 have the same starting frames as each other instance of that particular set. This may not be the case (and it wasn't in DKC...), but it sure looks that way.

Example: (taken from my Pirate Panic map)
identical_banana_sets.png
identical_banana_sets.png (3.18 KiB) Viewed 167527 times

As you can see, the two instances of the 'A' formation are identical. There are other examples which support this theory (the sets of three bananas upon the barrels either side of the [K], for instance), which can be seen on the map.

I'll look into this further, as it seems strange to me that the sets match in DKC2, but not in DKC.
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Simion32 » January 12th, 2009, 6:19 am

Upon further examination of your map, I noticed the A formations are exactly 2048 pixels apart.

Let's just say that the first formation is at 0,0 for calculation purposes. Apply that formula...

bananaimage = images[((globalimagenumber+(Xunits+Yunits))% 8)];
First Formation: bananaimage = images[((0+(0+0))% 8)] = 0
Second Formation: bananaimage = images[((0+(256+0))% 8)] = 0

2048/8 = 256

The banana formations are 256 units apart (a unit is 8 pixels. bananas will not stray from this 8x8 grid).
256 % 8 = 0
...and they are also at the exact same starting frame according to the formula, because the number of units apart is divisible by 8 (bananas have 8 images).
They also lie at the same Y position, so the Y offset does not affect their starting frame relative to each formation.

This is likely the result of the bananas being placed/aligned with the 32x32 tiles in some way.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Qyzbud » January 12th, 2009, 10:10 am

Good point, that would make sense... Aligning objects and bananas to the grid would be logical, so it's a safe bet that's what Rare have done. The horizontal lines of three bananas I mentioned aren't all in the same y-position, but perhaps the offset just coincides perfectly yet again.

Ah well, so much for my harebrained theory! :roll:
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Tiptup Jr. » January 13th, 2009, 7:41 am

This technical stuff goes five miles over my head, but I was playing around with the maps for the first real time yesterday, and it was TEH AWESOMENESS! I would never have guessed Coral Capers looked like that. :?

DKC3 maps should be cool too.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby Qyzbud » January 13th, 2009, 8:29 am

Why thank you! They do take a while to reconstruct, but I'm sure most DKC fans would agree they are damn cool to look at. 8-)

This weekend past has been a fun, busy and rather scattered one, so I haven't had the time I'd hoped for to finish a DKC3 map (or even the last phase of Pirate Panic's...), but it shouldn't be long now. Having a complete map available for each of DKC's sequels will be two nice steps forward.
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Qyzbud » March 1st, 2009, 2:41 pm

Rope Bridge Rumble's up for viewing! It's the only DKC map so far with animated DK barrels, among other things.

We now have 22 out of 33 level maps complete - all levels from the first four worlds. 8-)
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Tompa » March 1st, 2009, 8:27 pm

Very nice job! I just noticed something in the map info of this level, that it is showing Expresso instead of Winky. Care to fix? ;)
Trailblazer
Bananas received 45

Postby Qyzbud » March 8th, 2009, 1:27 pm

The terrain for Gangplank Galley is up for viewing... Stone and I were pondering over how to capture it, as the appearance changes during play (the sun sets as you progress through the level), and I've decided just to capture it all in the final appearance, once the sun has set at the end of the level. An easy and fairly logical approach, I think. Sprites etc. will be added soon.

PS. Cheers, Tompa - I've fixed the mistake. ;)
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Simion32 » March 8th, 2009, 1:50 pm

Hmm, not much to say except that the background doesn't stretch to the bottom of the viewer.

From what I remember when messing around with pallets in DKC2, the sunset effect is actually a chain of full, predetermined level pallets. They are loaded in succession as you progress through the level.

Spoiler!
I'll be hard at work on DKCRE for the next few hours, as you have probably guessed I'm in a rush to get it released. Just Thursday afternoon I solved that blasted segmentation fault error, and it's on the way to being updated. Once I get it up, every DKC2 map should be viewable (in the base pallet only, of course). EDIT: Gah, more errors! This getting on my nerves! Now the DKC2 bonuses crash when extracting... investigating it now.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Kiddy14 » April 1st, 2009, 2:29 pm

A chest is missing in Gangplank Galley's map.
The one before the midway barrel.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Postby Qyzbud » April 2nd, 2009, 9:11 pm

Thanks for the pointer - I'd noticed this, and fixed it... but forgot to update the map online. :roll:
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Krow111 » April 26th, 2009, 6:47 am

Great job on the level maps, but we should also work on the DKC3 maps too.
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 3

Postby Simion32 » April 26th, 2009, 12:01 pm

Hmm.... Indeed. Well, DKC2 should now have all level terrains available because DKCRE handles that... all we need now is the ginormous update saying "All DKC2 Levels (terrain only) Finished"... ;)

You have just reminded me about DKC3. After I get out of school (around May 15th), I'll start looking into DKC3's compression. Maybe sooner if I feel like it, but really I want to focus on the DKC physics engine and get that finished first. Then again, there's the exciting possibility of being able to replicate Pacifica's levels in SNES graphics.

Speaking of which... Qyz, will you be featuring Pacifica maps if they are reconstructed as SNES level layouts? Obviously they aren't really from the SNES games, but it would be a nice little bonus to add later when all the maps in the DKC Trilogy have been completed.

Also, I would like to map the "modified" terrains of some levels in DKC GBC, including the new Necky Nutmare level. Would be yet another nice addition to a "bonus" section, if you plan on doing anything of the sort.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Qyzbud » April 26th, 2009, 11:22 pm

I'm planning to work on DKC3's maps again once I finish mapping Topsail Trouble - which will be very soon. I like the idea of having a full world mapped out for DKC2, so I've pushed myself to work on Gangplank Galleon's levels in my free time lately. I might even do a map for Krow's Nest before moving on to DKC3 for a bit... the boss areas in DKC2 are much more interesting than DKC's, so I'm inclined to pay more attention to them. I'll end up mapping every bonus/boss area for all three games, anyhow... but I want to focus on regular levels first.

Simion, I hope to make a 'ginormous update' pretty soon, providing all DKC2 terrains for viewing. I'll credit your excellent contribution, of course! Oh, and your work to help extracting DKC3's terrain will be very handy, whenever you happen to get that going on. ;)

As for maps of Pacifica levels, and other such non-SNES levels/content; I'll certainly consider including them sometime down the track, once the rest of the mapping has been completed. I'd like to expand DKC Atlas in quite a few ways, once I get the current goals under way a bit more.
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Krow111 » April 28th, 2009, 10:36 am

If you convert the Pacifica levels into SNES graphics, maybe you could put them in their own section. So when you click on maps, there will be a fourth choice. You should call it "Pacifica Maps", or you could put the Pacifica maps in the DKC3 section instead. Just a suggestion.
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 3

Postby Stone » May 7th, 2009, 5:52 am

At first glance, it looks like individualy positioned baddies are a bit more friendly to low perfomance systems like Netbooks.
Usually, it felt like the animations were slower and stuttering in the old format.
Well done, Qyzbud! :)
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 48

Postby Qyzbud » May 7th, 2009, 1:32 pm

Thanks, Stone. I'm glad it's running a bit more efficiently for you now - some systems may struggle with multiple animated objects, while others have a harder time displaying large images. Overall this individual positioning will enable much more flexibility and potential for new features, advanced info, etc. It takes a bit longer to do, but it's certainly worth the extra effort.
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Stone » May 12th, 2009, 9:31 pm

I've got an idea for the DKC3 maps, you may already have had the same idea, but not included it yet:
It would be a nice feature if Koin would always look in the same direction your mouse is pointing at. (grammatically right? :roll: )

I think it could be hard to implement, so it doesn't have to be done until every map is otherwise complete. ;)
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 48

Re: DKC Atlas Level Mapping Project

Postby Tompa » May 13th, 2009, 3:07 am

It would be good to show the invisible coins/barrels/bananas etc. as well. To make those items transparent or similar.

You are doing an awesome job with these maps, Qyz. We love you for it :).

Edit: Showing the warp barrels wouldn't be a bad idea either, would it?
Trailblazer
Bananas received 45

Postby Qyzbud » May 18th, 2009, 3:55 pm

Sorry for the late reply to these posts, guys... internet's been scarce for me lately. :roll:

Stone, I've thought about having Koin follow the mouse with his shield, somewhere on the site/forum etc... Might be a nice little touch to work this into the maps at some point. It'd require a bit of programming, but I do like a challenge. Perhaps I could even do something similar with other sentient/reactive baddies, like Army or Lockjaw, once I start getting really advanced with these maps. I'll work on this and see what I can come up with.

Tompa, hidden/invisible objects have been part of the maps for quite some time now - you just have to toggle them on using the first Overlay button. I have them toggled off by default, both to match their appearance in-game, and to let people just view the maps without spoiling the secrets, if they want to do so.

Well I've just about finished the first world of each game in the DKC trilogy now. With Skidda's Row and Murky Mill finally joining the list. I still have to individually position/animate the baddies etc. in DKC's maps from Ropey Rampage onward, and I noticed just now that I haven't added Dixie's starting position to the Murky Mill map, but otherwise I'm pretty darn happy with the progress we've made with this project over the past year.

Cheers, guys. 8-)
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Tompa » May 19th, 2009, 2:01 am

Bah, I'm stupid... Sorry for doubting you, Qyz ;).
Trailblazer
Bananas received 45

Postby Qyzbud » May 21st, 2009, 2:56 am

No worries, it's handy to know that these things aren't necessarily obvious. I'll be working on some visual 'instructions' for getting the most out of the Level Map Viewer (LMV) pretty soon, so that's something to keep in mind. But yes, you were a fool to doubt me. :lol:
--

The latest mapping update is a biggy - well, sorta...

20 May '09 Maps: DKC2's Lost World, DKC3's Kremwood Forest...
Today there are 10+ new terrains up for viewing, complete with background/foreground scenery! DKC2's Lost World is the main focus of this update; particularly worth checking out is the healthy start I've made to the Animal Antics map (or should I say maps...). On the DKC3 front, I've got terrains and scenery graphics up for Barrel Shield Bust-up and Riverside Race, so you can see that there's plenty of mapping momentum on the Atlas. =-)

So that's the last of DKC2's level terrains, up and ready for viewing. Thanks a million for your contributions, Simion.

I'm actually getting pretty eager to get working on some bonus area mapping...
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Qyzbud » May 27th, 2009, 1:19 am

For those who haven't seen the update(s) on the home page, there have been a handful of maps upgraded to animated status:

Hot-Head Hop, which features a whooooooooole lot of animated terrain...
Coral Capers, which includes an overlay to show where the Clambo shoots
Barrel Cannon Canyon, which has more barrels and Kritters than you'd think...

So that's 16 animated maps available now - the first world of all three games, plus of course Hot-Head Hop, because DKC2 is awesome, and deserves to have one more animated map than the other games. 8-)

Feel free to admire the awesomeness of these maps, and let me know if anything's broken. :D
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Donkey King » May 27th, 2009, 12:45 pm

On the Hot Head Hop map, when you disable BG 2, it actually disables Layer 3 and when you disable BG 3, it disables Layer 2. :?
Trainee Trekker

Postby Gnawzooka » May 27th, 2009, 5:32 pm

The animation would be even mor impressive if it showed the actual movement path of the enemies. :mrgreen:
Seeker of Mysteries
Bananas received 5

PreviousNext

Return to DKC Projects/Fanworks