DKC Atlas Mapping Project

Working on your own project related to the Donkey Kong Country series?
This forum is your place to discuss fangames, artwork, stories and so forth which are DKC relevant.

Re: DKC Atlas Mapping Project — The DKC2 Countdown is COMPLE

Postby Qyzbud » February 4th, 2016, 11:09 am

OneOf99 wrote:So how do you get this info? Do you just play the level over and over again to get the chest items?

I play through the level and note what's in each chest. Most of the time I already know from having played the game so much, but it's always good to double check. :geek:

If there's any reason to suspect that the contents of a chest might vary (such as those which may contain the Kremkoin in certain Bonus Areas), I'll check a few times to be sure of how the contents are determined.
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Crammalamma » August 9th, 2016, 11:38 am

I think the animation in Ice Age Alley's second bonus room is incorrect - in the third frame, the green and red balloons just swap places, which would make it impossible to get a 1- or 2-up from it if that were the case. (This also goes for Trick Track Trek's last bonus.)
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 9

Postby Qyzbud » August 10th, 2016, 3:19 pm

I daresay you're right, and I've no idea how I missed that! :?

Thanks for the heads-up; I'll see about getting these animations sorted out.

EDIT: All good now; refresh this file to update your browser cache if need be.
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Lanky Kong » August 12th, 2016, 11:25 am

So, this year DKC3 has 20 years! I'm wondering about the remakenhanced levels now of the third game.
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 12

Postby Crammalamma » August 25th, 2016, 9:30 am

I'll assume he'll start in September or October so the final update would coincide with the game's late November release.
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 9

Postby Crammalamma » February 5th, 2017, 10:23 am

So what's the deal with the silent updates?
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 9

Postby Qyzbud » February 5th, 2017, 11:01 am

I wasn't able to find time to do the maps justice, so I just did the best I could. It didn't feel right to make celebratory announcements due to the relative lack of quality, but I still wanted to get the bare essentials up in order to give those who were expecting updated maps something worthwhile to look at.

I'll certainly get the DKC3 maps up to standard at some point, and will make an announcement when I'm happy with the overall presentation.
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby reversalmushroom » June 19th, 2017, 12:04 pm

When will you do DKC3 world maps? I remember you went on a spree doing all the DKC3 levels that concluded awhile ago, so afterwards, I assumed that the world maps were all done, so I was surprised to see they still aren't up, especially since everything else is done.
Tourist
Bananas received 5

Re: DKC Atlas Mapping Project

Postby reversalmushroom » October 4th, 2021, 10:42 pm

Is this dead?

Also, could an option please be added to export levels as PNG?

Why is the link in "Talk about our maps on the DKC Atlas Forum: Mapping Project topic" a spam redirect?
Tourist
Bananas received 5

Postby Mattrizzle » October 6th, 2021, 10:15 pm

As Qyzbud has been largely AWOL for years, I would say this is dead. Since he is the site's webmaster, I doubt any new features will ever be added.

That link now redirects to spam because it seems that he let his URL shortening service lapse, and they repurposed the URL. It originally redirected to this topic, as expected.
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 221

Postby IdkbutAmogus » October 5th, 2022, 5:17 pm

I have a suggestion. Can you please add the red tint effect on all Krematoa levels with the overlay 3 button?
Newcomer

Postby Kingizor » October 5th, 2022, 10:38 pm

The SNES has blending capabilities but they're not used for this. Instead, all the backgrounds and sprites for each level use completely different palettes from the normal ones. To get things exactly right all the backgrounds and sprites would have to be re-ripped with the adjusted palettes, although there could be a few clever shortcuts to make that process easier...

Basically to have both the normal and tinted versions there would have to be two versions of each image. A button could work but a separate page might be more appropriate because it's twice the amount of content per page.

At any rate, someone would need to let our admin out before anything could happen. 8D
Trailblazer
Bananas received 77

Postby Mattrizzle » October 7th, 2022, 11:01 pm

The backgrounds often use separate palettes stored in the ROM, but the tinted sprite palettes are nearly always created by copying a large chunk of the sprite palette data into RAM, ANDing each of the color channels to get them separated, and performing various arithmetic operations on each of them. After this, some of the sprite palettes have an index or two overwritten with another color for the cartoonish glowing eyes effect. This method is used for the sprite palettes in all three games, though not as frequently in DKC2 for some reason. All of the color-manipulating subroutines were carried over and adapted from DKC1, though only the Torchlight Trouble color inversion one is reused--for Glimmer's Galleon.

Here's a rip I did long ago:
dkc123_sprite_palettes.png
dkc123_sprite_palettes.png (59.8 KiB) Viewed 61329 times

This still doesn't change the fact that you'd still need separate images to accurately represent everything in a browser.
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 221

Postby IdkbutAmogus » October 17th, 2022, 11:48 pm

Ok. So tell Qyzbud to make an alternate page of all krematoa levels with a red tint but only if they will complete the krematoa maps
Newcomer

Postby IdkbutAmogus » October 17th, 2022, 11:52 pm

Qyzbud wrote:
OneOf99 wrote:So how do you get this info? Do you just play the level over and over again to get the chest items?

I play through the level and note what's in each chest. Most of the time I already know from having played the game so much, but it's always good to double check. :geek:

If there's any reason to suspect that the contents of a chest might vary (such as those which may contain the Kremkoin in certain Bonus Areas), I'll check a few times to be sure of how the contents are determined.

Can you please add the nightfall effect at the end of Jungle Hijinxs? And before the nightfall effect is added, can you please change the map status to Basic layout complete?
Newcomer

Postby VideoViking » October 18th, 2022, 4:02 am

Mattrizzle wrote:Here's a rip I did long ago:
dkc123_sprite_palettes.png

Perhaps they used math to save disk space.

What would have been the file size difference had Nintendo/Rare used stored pallets over math subroutines?
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 41

Postby WesternTanager794 » October 18th, 2022, 7:59 am

I don’t know! I’ll figure that out! Great question! :parry:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 127

Postby IdkbutAmogus » October 19th, 2022, 12:47 am

@Qyzbud, can you please add a nightfall effect at the end of jungle hijinxs?
Newcomer

Postby IdkbutAmogus » October 19th, 2022, 1:09 am

Mattrizzle wrote:As Qyzbud has been largely AWOL for years, I would say this is dead. Since he is the site's webmaster, I doubt any new features will ever be added.

That link now redirects to spam because it seems that he let his URL shortening service lapse, and they repurposed the URL. It originally redirected to this topic, as expected.

Tell Qyzbud to change the link to this topic bcz spam is bad and why he put spam in this website
Newcomer

Postby Mattrizzle » October 20th, 2022, 9:35 pm

IdkbutAmogus wrote:Tell Qyzbud to change the link to this topic bcz spam is bad and why he put spam in this website

Wish it was that easy. I know of no way to contact him outside of here. A private message could be sent, but who knows how long it could take for him to respond, if at all.

(EDIT: Qyzbud mentioned his email address in this post)

The spam isn't intentional on Qyzbud's part. He stopped paying for the domain name he was using for URL shortening, as it is my assumption that DKC Atlas hasn't been at the top of his priority list lately. This site costs money to keep up, and as far as I know isn't making any (there are no ads). When it comes to domain ownership, if you stop paying for a URL you own, you relinquish ownership and it becomes available again for anyone else to snatch up (think of it the same way as real estate). Thus, the dkca.net domain got claimed by someone else who is serving the spam. No one else here can edit the main site.
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 221

Postby WesternTanager794 » October 21st, 2022, 5:06 pm

[Captain] Qyzbud was just online! :dixiehappy: He seems to show up every now and then, but he’s there! :parry:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 127

Postby IdkbutAmogus » October 22nd, 2022, 12:22 pm

Captain Qyzbud, please add the nightfall effect at the end of Jungle Hijinxs
Newcomer

Postby WesternTanager794 » October 22nd, 2022, 12:24 pm

I hope you know where the reference “Captain Qyzbud” came from! It was a very fun fanfiction by Super Luigi! :parry:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 127

Postby Super Luigi! » October 22nd, 2022, 12:26 pm

I thought that's what you were referring to!
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 301

Postby WesternTanager794 » October 22nd, 2022, 12:31 pm

So you caught my joke! Did Phyreburnz ever tell you what she thought of your portrayal? :parry:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 127

Postby Super Luigi! » October 22nd, 2022, 12:34 pm

She might have long ago, but I don't remember.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 301

Previous

Return to DKC Projects/Fanworks