DKC 3D Modeling/Animation Project PHASE ONE COMPLETE

Working on your own project related to the Donkey Kong Country series?
This forum is your place to discuss fangames, artwork, stories and so forth which are DKC relevant.

Re: DKC 3D Modeling/Animation Project

Postby Phyreburnz » August 31st, 2013, 4:33 pm

I know that the DKC 2 ship has only one sail per mast, but I suggest adding some more, like having two per mast on the front two masts. Having just one sail per mast seems a bit more cartoony to me.

Are you planning on modeling the captain's quarters? I think it would also be sort of cool to show the crew down in the ship, since you never really go inside the ships in any of the games (you go in one ship with Chunky in DK64).
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Qyzbud » August 31st, 2013, 6:37 pm

Nice work on the Gangplank Galleon, Cyclone — it's starting to look like a sizeable vessel, rather than a toy boat! :D

Sonosublime, I've finally read your (updated) script, and it's very professional and nicely written... but certain aspects appear to deviate from the official story.

The story, for reference:
Spoiler!
Image Image

The main thing I noticed is that the details of Diddy's capture were largely glossed over in your script... and the part where DK 'rescues' Diddy — while entertaining — doesn't mesh with the flow of the official story, or with DK & Diddy's reunion in-game. The sequence with Cranky entering DK's treehouse to wake him up is also contradictory, so it might be time to think about how much 'liberty' can/should be taken in storyboarding.

Personally, I like the idea of elaborating on the game's story a little, but only if nothing is rewritten or contradicted — or vastly out-of-character, of course.

Jeffrey_Bones wrote:[...] did I see a blue butterfly taking cover outside the window?

Qyzbud wrote:I think the butterfly is just a static, leftover scene element — but I could be mistaken!

Cyclone wrote:Nope not a butterfly. I was thinking of incorporating it in but I couldn't think of something that would make sense with the scenes I have so far.

Are you sure the butterfly isn't still in that animation... :huh:

Spoiler!
butterfly-outside-window.jpg
butterfly-outside-window.jpg (37.83 KiB) Viewed 76127 times
butterfly-near-treehouse.jpg
butterfly-near-treehouse.jpg (47.38 KiB) Viewed 76127 times

:P
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby sonosublime » August 31st, 2013, 8:45 pm

Cyclone, the latest model of Gangplank Galleon is starting to look really awesome. I really like the sail textures, but agree with Phyreburnz that >1 sail per mast would be a bit more realistic. Also, the stern looks to be about 2-3 stories higher than the main deck. It would look better to 'layer' it a bit more. Also, some cannon hatches in the side and on the deck would add some fearsome features.

Qyzbud, I know what you're saying regarding the script and story, but respectfully disagree for a number of reasons.
1. Diddy's capture was glossed over because I didn't feel there was much to tell. Diddy gets hit over the head and put in a barrel. Plus this gives the Kremlings a bit of mystery until we run into Klump and his goons. The script is already getting long as it is.
2. DK and Diddy don't really have a reunion in the game - DK just breaks open a DK barrel 5 secs after starting the 1st level and out pops Diddy.
3. I'm not trying to retell the game word-for-word. I feel that the main aspects of the game's canon are being addressed, while still having a bit of an original flair. At the least, I like to think I'm not butchering the game's story as badly as Hollywood would ^_^

But I'm interested to hear your ideas on elaborating on the game's story.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 228

Postby Cyclone » September 1st, 2013, 3:01 pm

Phyreburnz wrote:I know that the DKC 2 ship has only one sail per mast, but I suggest adding some more, like having two per mast on the front two masts. Having just one sail per mast seems a bit more cartoony to me.

Are you planning on modeling the captain's quarters? I think it would also be sort of cool to show the crew down in the ship, since you never really go inside the ships in any of the games (you go in one ship with Chunky in DK64).

Added your suggestion. And yea I will probably model K'Rools quarters.

What do you guys think better with more sails? I also made the ship taller.

Gang_Plank_Galleon8.png
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 559

Postby Qyzbud » September 1st, 2013, 3:49 pm

Oh yes — that's starting to look very nice!

The extra height and sails are a definite plus, and the improved water/scene lighting look superb. B/
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Super Luigi! » September 1st, 2013, 4:38 pm

I agree with Qyzbud; the ship looks much better. Don't stop here though; keep going. Each time you post a screenshot, the ship gets better!
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 302

Postby sonosublime » September 2nd, 2013, 3:28 am

Oh yeah, the ship looks much better. Now it just needs some cannons, black flags, and a reptilian crew!
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 228

Postby Simion32 » September 2nd, 2013, 7:29 am

Sorry I haven't been actually posting to chime in, but I've given out bananas pretty much everywhere I liked your posts.

You're doing really great so far Cyclone, keep it up! :)
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Phyreburnz » September 2nd, 2013, 12:27 pm

First, much improved! Beautiful!

Second... I have problems... I imagined a figurehead (one of those mermaid things)... but the figurehead I imagined was a mermaid with a K. Rool head! I may have to do a sketch and upload it just because it's silly...
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Cyclone » September 4th, 2013, 1:15 pm

Thanks for comments they do help.

@sonosublime I agree with Qyzbud. It should be close to the original story. The part with Diddy in the barrel in your script I think is a bit long.
In my head I was thinking DK comes across the barrel while following a trail of Bananas and hears him in the barrel. DK throws the barrel on the ground and out comes Diddy in a cranky mood since DK through him on the ground. They then set off on their journey after which we see different DKC1 archetypes. In each area there could be different ways of going through each area. ex maybe something humorous or unique to the DKC series.

I did like the part with mine cart. Was that still in the script?

Could you work these changes into your script? Thanks again for the script.

Here is the ship now. A lot more details have added. Trying to keep the feel of the ship close to DKC1 but have elements from DKC2. I also want to add as many details as I can into one shot. I may do a flyby that zooms into the deck where the kremings are working or what ever kremlings do

Gang_Plank_Galleon12(compressed).png

Gang_Plank_Galleon12b(compressed).png

I didn't spend much time on the keg so It may have issues.
SteelKeg1.png
SteelKeg1.png (256.18 KiB) Viewed 76041 times

Cannon1.png
Cannon1.png (574.98 KiB) Viewed 76041 times

@phyreburnz you say it looks good but yet you have problems with it? :scratch:
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 559

Postby Phyreburnz » September 4th, 2013, 1:26 pm

:lol: Cyclone, you totally misread what I wrote! Try reading that again!

I said that -I- have problems... as in me and my ideas! :P
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Super Luigi! » September 4th, 2013, 2:03 pm

Cyclone, I honestly don't know what to say, so instead of me rambling on about how brilliant you and your work are, have a banana.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 302

Postby Cyclone » September 4th, 2013, 4:24 pm

Whoa did my banana count just go up 100 bananas?
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 559

Postby sonosublime » September 4th, 2013, 11:56 pm

The ships looks absolutely fantastic, Cyclone. Personally I think it looks even better than the video game versions. All it needs are some cannons on the deck and some stairs and rigging. The steel keg looks great, and I love the detail on the cannons.

I've made the requested changes to the script. I think it flows a lot better now. Yes, the mine-cart part is in there, too.

Here is the download:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/2qf3c ... B3%5D.docx
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 228

Postby Cyclone » September 6th, 2013, 3:22 pm

^Will respond. Haven't read it yet.

Here is the ship so far. Any ideas on what to add to the deck? Does it look too cluttered? When viewed up close it looks bare and under detailed.
Thanks.

Gang_Plank_Galleon15(compressed).png

Gang_Plank_Galleon15b(compressed).png

Flame sucks.
OilDrum2.png
OilDrum2.png (249.58 KiB) Viewed 75977 times
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 559

Postby Cyclone » September 7th, 2013, 3:04 pm

sonosublime wrote:The ships looks absolutely fantastic, Cyclone. Personally I think it looks even better than the video game versions. All it needs are some cannons on the deck and some stairs and rigging. The steel keg looks great, and I love the detail on the cannons.

I've made the requested changes to the script. I think it flows a lot better now. Yes, the mine-cart part is in there, too.

Here is the download:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/2qf3c ... B3%5D.docx

Some nice additions. There should be a scene in K.Rool's Cabin ordering his crew to steal the bananas. Also no one should die, Thats a bit too much for
a light heart ted DK movie. And I didn't want to have to model Manky Kong maybe that could be omitted or another idea in it's place? Thanks for taking the time to write the script!

Below is a concept. One of the kremlings may mop the deck as a background animation.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 559

Postby Cyclone » September 8th, 2013, 12:42 pm

How are my latest efforts on the full scene of the pirate ship. :scratch:

Here is a revised close up. The lighting will definitely change in the animation so the characters aren't in shadow.
Are there more things I should add or change? Feedback as always is welcomed and appreciated.

Gang_Plank_Galleon16(compresed).png
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 559

Postby sonosublime » September 8th, 2013, 3:17 pm

Cyclone, the latest renders are looking as awesome as ever. Personally, I think the lighting is fine as is. As shown in the far shot, the shadows are coming from the sails. I especially like that shot of K. Rool standing on the deck of the ship with his flowing cape. You should use that shot when the Kongs storm the ship.

The mop animation looks good, but the strands are a bit 'stringy' and fly around a bit too much. The shovels are also a bit too long.

Don't worry, I'll make the script light-hearted enough. But, heck, people die in Disney cartoons. I don't think it's that bit a deal, and no one will die on-screen.

Instead of giving orders to steal the banana hoard from the captain's cabin (kind of redundant), I was instead going to have K. Rool giving orders from the cabin when the Kongs attack the ship. I was thinking of something like this: DK and Diddy get Squawks to fly them out to the ship. Diddy breaks open a crate which was holding Rambi prisoner (illegal exotic animals trade?) and wreaks havoc. DK defeats K. Rool and he agrees to leave the island.

As he's sailing out (maybe play some fake credits), K. Rool goes back on his word and brings the ship around, firing his cannons at DK Island. Things are looking grim, until Enguarde and his friends arrive.

By the way, what exactly happens to Gangplank Galleon? Does it get shipwrecked or something? Or is it still active in DKC2?

I suppose I could change the Vine Valley part, but what do you suggest should happen instead? The kongs would have to find out about Kremkroc somehow. Also, I would like to fit the treetop towns in there somehow, but can't think of anything. Any ideas?
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 228

Postby Cyclone » September 9th, 2013, 11:07 am

sonosublime wrote:Don't worry, I'll make the script light-hearted enough. But, heck, people die in Disney cartoons. I don't think it's that bit a deal, and no one will die on-screen.

Maybe instead we see a shot of him later still alive. Comically. Maybe flailing in the water or something?

sonosublime wrote:Instead of giving orders to steal the banana hoard from the captain's cabin (kind of redundant), I was instead going to have K. Rool giving orders from the cabin when the Kongs attack the ship. I was thinking of something like this: DK and Diddy get Squawks to fly them out to the ship. Diddy breaks open a crate which was holding Rambi prisoner (illegal exotic animals trade?) and wreaks havoc. DK defeats K. Rool and he agrees to leave the island.

Shouldn't he give orders before the kongs set off to find the bananas? Wouldn't make sense if they are already on the ship when he gives orders to steal the bananas. I like having Squawks drop the kongs on the ship. Rambi on the ship will be very technical to pull off so we could leave that out. Speaking of animal buddies should we at least have one scene with dk riding one of them. Or should we leave that out. I like the rambi/diddy pose in the box art.

sonosublime wrote:As he's sailing out (maybe play some fake credits), K. Rool goes back on his word and brings the ship around, firing his cannons at DK Island. Things are looking grim, until Enguarde and his friends arrive.

I do like the idea of k.rool firing cannons(adds a some action)

sonosublime wrote:I suppose I could change the Vine Valley part, but what do you suggest should happen instead? The kongs would have to find out about Kremkroc somehow. Also, I would like to fit the treetop towns in there somehow, but can't think of anything. Any ideas?

Out of all the different areas I would like to have A jungle,water and treetop town scene. The mine cart is a bonus so we can keep it in there.
There also doesn't have to be plot development in every area. Treetop town could be where the kongs overhear some talk about kremkroc industries. dk does something stupid that alerts the kremlings in one of the huts after which a gang of kremlings charge after the kongs. While the kongs are chased they bonce of tires and throw barrels at the kremlings.

Keep in mind that each time we add a new character means more work for the artist. And the more complicated the animation the harder it will be to pull off wihout it looking awkward.

Keep the ideas/scripts flowing :thumbs:

Thanks again.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 559

Postby Cyclone » September 9th, 2013, 2:34 pm

Minor Changes to the scene. Does it need more, and what? I feel like i'm missing something compared to the in game shot. The position of items isn't exact,I had to make some compromises. Example making the ship look good viewed from far away and at a close up view.

Galeon.png
Galeon.png (49.34 KiB) Viewed 75865 times

Gang_Plank_Galleon17(small).png
Gang_Plank_Galleon17(small).png (2.3 MiB) Viewed 75865 times
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 559

Postby Cyclone » September 10th, 2013, 1:11 pm

Some updates. Added some ladders and added nintendo logo to banana. I had to change the camera cuzz the ladders were in the way.

Gang_Plank_Galleon18(closeup)(compressed).png

Gang_Plank_Galleon18(compressed).png
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 559

Postby sonosublime » September 10th, 2013, 2:11 pm

I think the ship is well and truly done. It looks fantastic. The only thing it needs is the ship's wheel on the stern.

Maybe instead we see a shot of him later still alive. Comically. Maybe flailing in the water or something?

If you like, I can show him later with a black eye or something.

Shouldn't he give orders before the kongs set off to find the bananas? Wouldn't make sense if they are already on the ship when he gives orders to steal the bananas. I like having Squawks drop the kongs on the ship. Rambi on the ship will be very technical to pull off so we could leave that out. Speaking of animal buddies should we at least have one scene with dk riding one of them. Or should we leave that out. I like the rambi/diddy pose in the box art.

What I meant is that when the Kongs start attacking the Kremlings on the beach, we see K. Rool in his ship's cabin giving orders to stop them. Then when DK and Diddy start flying out to the ship, K. Rool comes out onto the deck, and orders the cannons to fire.

Rambi will be difficult to pull off on the ship? It's just that I'm having trouble figuring out where else in the story I can fit him.

Also,

Regarding Gorilla Glacier, we absolutely MUST have a 'Hobbit' style scene of them making their way toward and then climbing the mountain. Something like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxGSTTfZEjE

Also, can we please include this music? (it's like my favourite song at the moment :D)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGmULWewktU

I was thinking it could work when DK and Diddy have Squawks fly them out toward Gangplank Galleon, while K. Rool orders the cannons to be fired at them. Epic. Or even during the mine-cart sequence.

EDIT: Another thing, what do you think of bringing back the Robot Chicken factory boss from DKCR? He seems to be quite a popular character?
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 228

Postby Phyreburnz » September 11th, 2013, 12:54 am

I'm not sure how willing you'd be to have a side story, but perhaps K. Rool could have the kremling walk the plank. The kremling could swim to DK island and either try to catch the Kongs himself to prove that he can do better or try to warn the Kongs and hope to join them because of being thrown out of the Kremling Krew.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Cyclone » September 11th, 2013, 8:15 am

^ The side story is good but i'm trying to keep the animation/story as simple as possible.

@ sonosublime. Rambi will be difficult to pull off because there is limited space on the deck of the ship. There really is only room for two characters on the deck if the ship to do all the fighting while having decent camera angles. The idea of Rambi on the ship also doesn't seem to fit with the story. I think rambi fits more in a jungle scene then anywhere else.

I like the idea of cannons firing when squawks flys them to the ship.

The hobbit style scene would be a huge undertaking. Perhaps it's something that can be inserted once the majority of the animation is completed(if it ever gets that far)

As for the chicken robot it's not a donkey kong country 1 character so...

Regarding the script. If they are simple(to pull off) but unique and true to the cannon of donkey kong country then that would be great.

Eagerly awaiting the next script.

Keep it up!
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 559

Postby Qyzbud » September 11th, 2013, 12:11 pm

It's been longer than I realised since I last gave feedback here. Sorry 'bout that! :?

Let me just say that all the scene/item modelling is looking great!
  • The mop animation is excellent, but is in slow motion, right? At full speed, it ought to look very believable.
  • The cannon is good, but the design seems overly complicated... it's hard to see in the in-game scene, but to me they look a lot more simple, more rounded, and of a warm grey (rather than black) finish.
  • The keg looks great! I know you said you didn't spend much time on it, but I love the way your keg looks. When compared with the original, your model does have a more inwardly-tapering upper rim, and the handle holes are a bit more gaping. The ribs around the body of the keg are a little thicker on Rare's model, too. Honestly though, the only thing that actually looks off to me on your model is the handle holes, as the metal seems too thin to be sturdy and grippable.
  • The oil drum looks good too (placeholder fire notwithstanding), although (like the tyre you modelled way back) it would certainly benefit from being labelled with the correct font — Gill Sans Ultra Bold Condensed.
  • The Jolly Roger symbol really needs to be replaced with the Kremling version! Is there a decent likeness out there that can be used, or do we need to make one? I could try my hand at this sometime if need be.

All of this stuff will look better when the scene's lighting is improved, I'm sure. It's not bad at the moment, but I know you can make it look amazing.

I've gotta say; it's awesome to finally see the Kremling King aboard his galleon. 8-)

I'm out of time right now to provide script feedback, but hopefully I'll be able to read the latest version and share my thoughts this evening.

Great work, guys — keep it up! :thumbs:
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Cyclone » September 11th, 2013, 3:42 pm

Thanks for the comments Qyzbud. I need to find a kremling picture I can use for the sail. And the font I will play around with some more. The cannon is more simple then my version. I did use reference. I have to think about whether I want to change it or not.

Diddy3.png
Diddy3.png (182.72 KiB) Viewed 75784 times
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 559

Postby Cyclone » September 12th, 2013, 2:29 pm

An improved version of Diddy's head. How does it look so far?

Diddy6.png
Diddy6.png (166.69 KiB) Viewed 75755 times

Diddy6b.png
Diddy6b.png (242.62 KiB) Viewed 75755 times
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 559

Postby sonosublime » September 12th, 2013, 5:11 pm

Phyreburnz, I'm all for side plots, but, like Cyclone said, the script is getting a little long.

Thanks Qyzbud, looking forward to your feedback and criticism (as long as it's constructive!).

Cyclone, no problem. Robot Chicken stays out. I was worried that Rambi might not make the cut as well, but I managed to squeeze him into the story.

Hopefully you can pull off the Hobbit style scene. That would make this movie EPIC. The main parts would be modelling the scenery and getting the fly over camera shots. Animation-wise, it would just be DK and Diddy walking.

if it ever gets that far

:O Don't say that!

Also, how exactly do you plan to do the dialogue? Comic book style speech bubbles? Because that might obscure the view.

anyway, Diddy is starting to come along really nicely. The front view looks excellent. Although in the perspective view, his hat looks like its sticking out a little much above his ears.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 228

Postby Cyclone » September 13th, 2013, 12:18 pm

sonosublime wrote:
if it ever gets that far

:O Don't say that!

Also, how exactly do you plan to do the dialogue? Comic book style speech bubbles? Because that might obscure the view.

It depends if I get bored of the project. It's been about a year since it was started. About the dialog I was thinking the same thing. Maybe I will just have subtitles instead?
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 559

Postby Qyzbud » September 13th, 2013, 4:20 pm

I can respect that. Hopefully your passion will stay strong... and even if you do get bored, there's no reason you can't take a break, and come back with renewed energy at a later date. Happens to me with various aspects of DKC Atlas all the time. :lol:

Diddy's looking good, by the way — fix that pokey-outey bit of his hat and it'll be much better!

I'll post my long overdue script thoughts as soon as possible, when I get home from work. :)
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Cyclone » September 14th, 2013, 1:14 pm

This is probably as far as I will get with Diddy today. I changed the proportions of the head mainly.

Diddy10.png
Diddy10.png (179.9 KiB) Viewed 75689 times
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 559

Postby Cyclone » September 15th, 2013, 1:55 pm

sonosublime what's the hold-up on the the script. Are you waiting for Qyzbud to reply?
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 559

Postby sonosublime » September 15th, 2013, 9:42 pm

No, I've been a bit busy the last few days. But I am making progress. The script is nearly finished. Once it is proof-read and edited, I'll upload it.

And yeah, subtitles would probably be the way to go, with headers showing who is talking:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-jSZtZ-4F4

Skip to 2:17 to see what I mean.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 228

Postby Cyclone » September 17th, 2013, 1:48 pm

Yea sonosublime I will probably do it that way. Looking forward to the script.

Here is a new version of Diddy. Needs some smoothing and refinements.
Any constructive criticism or comments?

Diddy12Profiles.png
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 559

Postby sonosublime » September 17th, 2013, 8:09 pm

Hey Cyclone. Diddy is looking good. Although on the perspective shots, it looks as though his fur is encroaching on his eyes a little bit, which looks a little odd. Other than that, looking good!

Anyway, here is the next version of the script. The main story is completed. As it stands, the movie would be ~30-35 mins long. Now what the script needs is editing and cutting out unecessary parts (speaking of which, let me know which scenes you think could be cut/shortened).

http://www.mediafire.com/download/z6xdc ... B4%5D.docx
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 228

Postby Cyclone » September 18th, 2013, 12:52 pm

sonosublime thanks for the updated script and your time spending on it. I have a few things about the script that I jotted while reading it. Please don't think me harsh. It's constructive criticism. ok? :)

Script Comments

- A lot of interaction between characters is hard to do. Lots of choreographing and rigging technicalities.

- Bananas are stolen from hoard before the ship arrives, or did I misread?

- Adult squawks instead of baby parrot (so I don't have to model another character). And aside from the parrot I don't think the animal buddies should talk. They never did in the games.

- The fight with K.rool should take place in one environment only. The ship offshore. No need to have fighting on the beach.

- I'm not keen on the sword fish attack. Water physics.

- When K.Rool goes back on his word the parrots could attack during this time. DK will be off the ship and standing on the beach during this time. We see the attack take place and DK's expressions from the beach. The ship sails away to Krocodile Isle with the ship a bit tattered and a shot with K.Rool bruised and cape torn with holes.

- To fit Rambi in he could be introduced during the zinger scene instead.

Latest revision of Diddy

Diddy15Profiles.png

Does anyone else have comments on the script?
Also what was first impression of Diddy. At first glance did he have the likeness of Diddy?
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 559

Postby Qyzbud » September 18th, 2013, 3:25 pm

You have very much captured Diddy's likeness; he looks almost perfect front-on, and the other angles are only slightly less convincing than the front. All-round, he's looking excellent, and it's only a matter of some minor proportional tweaks here and there before he's the absolute perfect likeness of Rare's design. :D

As it stands, all I can really see is that it's 95-99% perfect, and I'm not quite sure what needs changing... but if you'd like, I can spend some time tonight (or next week — you know me and my time budgeting!) comparing your renders to Rare's in hopes of giving you some more useful pointers?

I will also be reading the revised script tonight, and providing feedback. No excuses this time; IT'S ON LIKE D✪NKEY K✪NG! B/
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Qyzbud » September 19th, 2013, 1:33 am

I apologise for the delay in my feedback, sono; here are my thoughts on your current script:

Staying true to the official story

All of the issues I previously mentioned regarding the official story — direct contradictions, skipping integral details, etc. — are still present. For example, your script states that Diddy "scrambles back in fear" when faced with the Kremling army, while the official story tells that he "somersaulted into the fray with his signature cartwheel attack".

Now, I could believe that his initial reaction was to scramble back in fear, before finding the resolve to take the fight to the crocs, but your version of events skips the heroics and paints an entirely cowardly picture of poor Diddy.

Of course, you've also skipped the gameplay-influencing event of Diddy being sealed into the (DK) barrel; that's part of the official story, and helps illustrate the origin and relevance of one of the series' most iconic and unique aspects.

You also left out a fairly significant confrontation between DK and Cranky, where DK gives the old ape a piece of his mind in no uncertain terms... was this a conscious decision?

It seems obvious to me that we should respect the basic story we have, then expand upon that; anything that actually goes against the official story doesn't belong here.

Verbal vs. nonverbal communication

There seems to be a lot of prominence given to spoken dialogue, which I think might be a bad idea — or at least an awkward and unnecessary one. I really think the story should be told with an emphasis on actions, body language, facial expressions, camera work, etc.

Ideas to save for the next adventure

There are many references to pirates, and to K. Rool being 'Kaptain', but these are all aspects of DKC2; I think we should stick with DKC's characters and elements for this project, and save the pirates for Cyclone's DKC2 animation... ;)

Squawks was a lot smaller in DKC, and would be unable to transport Diddy — let alone DK... he would be more suitable for the role you assigned to the 'baby parrot'. Perhaps Squawks could recruit Enguarde to assist DK in a sneak attack on Gangplank Galleon?

Some minor typos/errata:
Spoiler!
On page 13 of the script, sono wrote:They are the KREMLINGS – BIPEDAL CROCODILIAN CREATURES. They wear as an assortment of BANDANAS, TATTERED PANTS and other PIRATE REGALIA.

On page 24 of the script, sono wrote:Krusha is also huge, and has DARK-GREEN BLUE SCALES and YELLOW CRESTS running down the top and back of his head.

On page 28 of the script, sono wrote:NEW ANGLE, close-up on a hand on the RED EMERGENCY SUHT SHUTDOWN BUTTON. We zoom out to see that this hand belongs to DIDDY, who has a look of determination on his face.

Well, it took me around four hours (on and off), but I've finally read your script through and provided some feedback. I really like your writing, and even if I don't agree with some directions you're suggesting in relation to Cyclone's project, I very much enjoy the story you've produced. :)

I hope to share some more thoughts soon, but it's after midnight now, so I'll get a bit of shuteye first. :P

One last quick thought before I go; you seem to refer to Krusha as a single Kremling, rather than a type of Kremling — reminds me of his role in the DKC TV show. Actually, there were a few things that reminded me of the TV show, such as the end of the Kremlings' minecart ride; do you suppose your writing was influenced by the series at all?
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Phyreburnz » September 19th, 2013, 12:45 pm

Other than a few smoothing issues, the only thing I keep coming back to is the Nintendo logo. Is there any way to make the logo a little bit longer?
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Qyzbud » September 19th, 2013, 2:14 pm

I may be mistaken, but I believe the logo will be a quick, easy fix... although it might be mostly a waste of time until the modelling is "complete", as it'll have to be remapped if and when tweaks are made.

That said, I agree it'd look much better with some obvious, simple adjustments. :)
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Cyclone » September 20th, 2013, 11:48 am

After not working on Diddy's head for a day with a fresh look something seems off to me. Need someone who could give it a fresh look. Is his face too round? Maybe it's the lips needing more definition.
The original diddy is less round then in DKCReturns and has no nose. I haven't quite decided which version of Diddy I want to go for. A combination? Maybe that's why it looks odd.

Here is DKCReturns Diddy and a side profile of DKC Diddy.

And yes the Nintendo logo needs to be properly mapped. Shouldn't be to difficult.

Thanks again for the feedback. :thumbs:
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 559

Postby Phyreburnz » September 20th, 2013, 12:52 pm

If you do end up with going more of a retro design, I'd keep Diddy's ears from the Rare version. His ears in Retro's version are just... kinda weird looking... like they're prosthetic or something! :lol:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Qyzbud » September 20th, 2013, 1:17 pm

A few quick observations while I'm on my tea break:

• Diddy's eyes (white area) are overlapped by his hat in your render, but not the original.
  • His lips, as you mentioned, should be a bit more pronounced/shaped.
  • His ears should be further towards the front of his face (check side profile).
  • His lower jaw/chin area should be a little bigger (just by moving his "lip line" up a bit).
  • The curves of the hat's brim are different to Rare's design.

I can give more tips and explain myself better tonight. :)

P.S. I love all of Retro's work, but I strongly urge you to stick as closely as possible to Rare's design(s) — except, perhaps, in regards to the ugly joins in knuckles, etc. ;)
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Cyclone » September 21st, 2013, 12:34 pm

I played around with the proportions and positions of stuff. Made nose smaller. Still look off right?

Diddy16Profiles.png

Edit - Replaced image with newer version
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 559

Postby Qyzbud » September 21st, 2013, 1:09 pm

I think your model looks better now, although you seem to have shrunk the whites of his eyes a little too much, and now there's a larger than necessary gap between his hat and eyes.

Reference:
Spoiler!

You also might need to rotate his left ear counter-clockwise a bit, to better match the reference art:

Reference:
Spoiler!

If you can tweak the hat's shape so that it doesn't curve outwards at the bottom (where it meets his head) — plus of course fix the logo — that'd help a lot.

Otherwise, he's looking really good. :)
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby sonosublime » September 21st, 2013, 1:33 pm

Cyclone, Diddy is looking good.I like the revision you have given his snout. Although, like Qyzbud said, it looks like there's a little bit too much space between the top of his eyes and the hat brim.

Also, thanks for your comments on the script. I'll look into making some revisions. No need to apologise. Criticise the script as much as you want. It's the only way it will improve :)

My responses to your comments:

Spoiler!
1. Interaction between characters is crucial for good story telling. You don't even have to choreograph/rig too much. Even just alternative camera shots would do (ie. close up on DK's face, close-up on Diddy's face, medium shot showing both characters, etc).

2. Yes, the bananas are stolen beforehand. K. Rool sent his minions ahead of time to do the dirty work (afterall, it would have taken some time to build Kremkroc). I got the impression that the Kremlings were already on DK Island, but they had limited interaction with the Kongs until the banana heist. K. Rool himself then arrives on Gangplank Galleon to begin the invasion.

3. The reason the baby parrot is used is for story telling reasons. Otherwise they could just ask Squawks then and there to fly them to Kremkroc, then to Gangplank Galleon, then home, and it takes away from the adventuring if the parrot is doing all the work.

To model the baby parrot, you could just shrink Squawks' model down to a smaller size. Is that easy or hard to do?

I also disagree that animal buddies can't talk. The Kongs and Kremlings are animals too. Why should they be the only ones who can talk?

4. Well the reason I have only DK fight on the ship is because you said the ship deck is quite small. And what is Diddy to do during this time? Hide back in the jungle? Seems kind of cowardly, and counterproductive to his character development.

Besides, I like the idea of DK having his own battle to fight on the ship, while Diddy and Rambi have theirs on the beach.

5. What exactly don't you like about the swordfish attack? Would it be difficult to model?

6. Yes, by the time K. Rool is about to set sail, and then breaks the agreement, DK has already left the ship and is already standing on the beach with Diddy and Rambi to make sure they leave.

I personally don't see why Gangplank Galleon should survive. Having it sail away could be a seen as a cheap setup for possible future sequels, and make the movie seem more cartoony. Besides, the Kremlings are perfectly capable of swimming (they are crocodiles, afterall), and I'm sure they have more than one ship ;)

7. If you want to have Rambi in Vine Valley, then I probably won't be able to fit the treetop town scene in there.

Besides, I don't really like the idea of Rambi randomly showing up in Vine Valley. It kind of makes the animal buddies seem like deus ex machina fan service, and the 'Kong Rescue Service'.

Qyzbud, thanks for the comments and pointing out those typos. I've never seen the show before.

As for your comments:

Spoiler!
1. My basic idea was to have Diddy start out cowardly, and develop into a brave and capable adventurer by the end, as shown in Kremkroc and when he attacks the Kremlings with Rambi. Do you feel I have not done a good job of showing his progression?

2. I could change K. Rool to 'sir'. Keep in mind that The Kremlings came on a pirate ship. And I feel having them as pirates gives them much more character than that generic army theme in DKC.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 228

Postby Qyzbud » September 21st, 2013, 2:53 pm

Sono, I must admit that I wrote my comments about your handling of Diddy before I had read through the entire script.
Spoiler!
I am notorious for putting off my feedback until I have taken everything into account, then getting distracted, and ending up giving no feedback at all as a result — which you've encountered a few times now! I wanted to get my thoughts down as they occurred to me, so that I could just write "will give more feedback later" and hit Submit if I needed to attend to something else (sleep, for instance) before finishing reading your script and writing my thoughts. You certainly did evolve Diddy's character through the course of the story, which was fitting and well-executed.

That said, my point was that your representation of Diddy's behaviour at that part was contradictory to the events stated in the official story. Surely you have the talent to write an amazing, expanded story without actually rewriting any of the events of the official story; I've read your work — I know you can do that!

With regard to K. Rool being referred to as 'Kaptain', and the other pirate references, perhaps I didn't think this through; there is no reason a king can't be a captain, and we all know K. Rool has definitely been both (perhaps even simultaneously) — and has also, of course, been referred to as both — I was just getting the impression of there being a bit too much spillover between DKC and DKC2 elements.

I have to remember that there are Kremlings on DK Island well before K. Rool arrives, and that these island inhabitants are not dressed in pirate attire, but that there's a very good chance K. Rool would have brought a crew with him (possibly pirates, as in your script) to collect the boatload of banana booty. I think that so long as we make sure not to imply that all Kremlings in this story are pirates — just, perhaps, the ones who arrive with K. Rool — it could mesh with the DKC story and theme quite well. :)

Don't get me wrong, here; I do very much like the idea of there being little hints, references and lead-ins to the story of DKC2 within this first one, but I think they should be very subtle and incidental. I'll have to read your script again to see how much I think the DKC2 elements need to be "toned down" — if at all.
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Cyclone » September 22nd, 2013, 12:15 pm

@sonosublime - I just thought having animals talk a bit silly. Yes I understand your logic. What do others think? Also I felt the DKC games a bit lonely, with the 2 kongs off on an adventure. Having a lot of talking to other characters counter acts that. For me at least.

What if Diddy sneaks aboard the ship while DK is fighting K.Rool or when k.rool goes against his promise. Diddy while the battle is taking place goes in the cargo hold of the ship and lights some TNT barrels with a trail of gun powder leading to them. The ship doesn't explode(we see the interior on fire though) but just starts to sink. Diddy still has some character development proving his sidekick usefulness. Maybe that idea is not original enough?

The attack of the sword fish. I just thought they wouldn't be strong enough to cause lots of damage.
Having an entire battle on the beach just seems difficult for me to pull off. I'm no professional. Just look how long it's taking me just to model Diddy's head.

As for rambi he needs some more thought. Maybe he can help the kongs defeat the kremlings on the beach using his signature speed running attack and mow down a bunch of kremlings. Thus allowing the kongs to get to the ship. How do they get on the ship if squawks doesn't fly them. Could the sword fish help them sneak aboard. Swimming them to the ship and climbing up a rope ladder?

Just some thoughts. Maybe you can come up with something based on them.
Thanks again!

Qyzbud

I have to remember that there are Kremlings on DK Island well before K. Rool arrives, and that these island inhabitants are not dressed in pirate attire, but that there's a very good chance K. Rool would have brought a crew with him (possibly pirates, as in your script) to collect the boatload of banana booty. I think that so long as we make sure not to imply that all Kremlings in this story are pirates — just, perhaps, the ones who arrive with K. Rool — it could mesh with the DKC story and theme quite well. :)

I agree. Good point.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 559

Postby Cyclone » September 23rd, 2013, 12:46 pm

Spent more time on Diddy today. I think it's better but it still looks off to me. I want it to look just right. I think i'm on a final pass on it then I will work on the body. Anymore suggestions would be greatly appreciated. :D

Diddy21Profiles.png

Oh and the reason I shrunk his eyes and rotated his ears was cuzz of this reference.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 559

Postby Qyzbud » September 23rd, 2013, 1:45 pm

The fur's a big improvement, and it's great to see that Nintendo logo lookin' sharp! :swanky:

Ah, I see what you mean in that reference shot; his hat is lifting off his head, which gives the impression that his eyes are slightly smaller/lowered compared to his usual appearance. Diddy's eyes may actually be a bit smaller in this render, but I tend to think it's an illusion based on his hat's position.

As for the ear — that's a tough one; it does look to be angled differently in those two source photos, but they both look good to me... hopefully you can use your best judgement for this, and it'll look right once you merge the ear onto the face.

One other thing; I think Diddy's bottom jaw needs to be a little less "bulbous" at the front; if you can reduce the bulge a little (just at the front), I think he'll look better in the side profile angles, and probably the other views, too. :)
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

PreviousNext

Return to DKC Projects/Fanworks