DKC 3D Modeling/Animation Project PHASE ONE COMPLETE

Working on your own project related to the Donkey Kong Country series?
This forum is your place to discuss fangames, artwork, stories and so forth which are DKC relevant.

Re: DKC 3D Modeling/Animation Project

Postby sonosublime » January 12th, 2014, 12:52 pm

Looking a lot better, and, like you said, "less twisty".

The main areas that stick at to me, are:
- the unnatural walk leading up to the cartwheel. It should be a more 'bobby' run, like in the games.
- at the finish, his left arm looks a bit skewed and unnatural.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 228

Postby Cyclone » January 14th, 2014, 2:55 pm

Did you mean his left from his perspective? I changed it so it isn't sticking out at the end. I introduced a clipping issue I didn't notice before rendering. oops.

I added some rotation to his hips is it better now? The walk looks a bit choppy. I will try to fix that.

I know it's taking a long time to just animated one clip. Hopefully I will get faster.

Expedition Leader
Bananas received 559

Postby sonosublime » January 14th, 2014, 11:45 pm

Oh yeah, that's starting to look very nice! The walk is pretty good, just needs a little work, maybe have his head bobbing a bit.
And yes, I mean Diddy's left arm by his perspective.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 228

Postby Cyclone » January 15th, 2014, 11:31 am

I added some up and down motion to the walk and made the hat bounce like it does in the game.
If the new adjustments are an improvement then I will do a few tweaks and render it in HD with fur and call it done until it's inserted into the final animation. :D

Expedition Leader
Bananas received 559

Postby VideoViking » January 15th, 2014, 1:35 pm

Have you noticed that once Diddy completes his cartwheel, his shirt does not settle down. It makes the object look as if the shirt wasn't made of fabric. You can see how Diddy's arm blade "disappears" or blends into the shirt.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 41

Postby sonosublime » January 17th, 2014, 4:20 pm

The walk is looking pretty good now. Although do you think that perhaps he should start off the cartwheel with a run?

Also, his left arm is looking strange still. I think the problem is you need to keep it straight, and make it look like Diddy is holding it straight against the ground to steady himself after his cartwheel is finished (i.e. like the in-game sprites).
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 228

Postby Cyclone » January 27th, 2014, 2:45 pm

sonosublime wrote:The walk is looking pretty good now. Although do you think that perhaps he should start off the cartwheel with a run?

Yes he should run. I will change that when I choreograph the the scene in the main animation.

I was having crashing problems with the rendering. That's what I have been doing (and playing games. :roll: ) and I had to go back a version so there is some twisting. however I fixed the shirt and rendered it in hd with fur.

let me know how it looks in hd. or not 8-)
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 559

Postby sonosublime » January 29th, 2014, 2:01 pm

Looking pretty good, and the fur is great. Although, as I said in a previous post, "his left arm is looking strange still. I think the problem is you need to keep it straight, and make it look like Diddy is holding it straight against the ground to steady himself after his cartwheel is finished (i.e. like the in-game sprites)". Also, he looks like he's flapping his arm a little bit.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 228

Postby Cyclone » January 31st, 2014, 8:34 am

The flapping arm thing was just a glitch. Here is the final version(in 1080p on youtube) for now. I know his hand isn't touching the ground at the end. will fix that once Diddy is in the final scenes.

Sonosublime if there aren't any major crits on Diddy's cartwheel I will start on the cave scene. I know I posted a test a few pages back but what's your vision on how it should look? How many shadows, how many glowing eyes, types of baddies ect.

Anyone care to rate diddy's cartwheel? What parts in particular are Decent-WellDone
Thanks again atlas members for your continued and invaluable feedback. 8-)
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 559

Postby sonosublime » January 31st, 2014, 6:18 pm

The cartwheel is looking much better now. The main thing I can think of is to make the ending of the cartwheel faster, so it doesn't look like he's finishing off a ballet type move.

Also, the cave scene you posted looks good. Although, since Krusha is a singular Kremling in the script, I would just use the shadows of regular Kremlings, but it doesn't really matter. I also envisioned the cave being darker, and lots of Kremling shadows being visible everywhere when lightning flashes.

Here is the scene from the script, for reference sake:

Spoiler!
LIGHTNING flashes again, but this time the menacing SHADOWS of REPTILIAN ASSAILANTS are cast all over the cave wall! Diddy scrambles back in fear.

As darkness falls over the cave once again, RED, GREEN AND BLUE PAIRS OF EYES gleam in the shadows. More and more eyes gradually appear.

We focus on one shadow that moves forward, dagger-like TEETH GLEAMING. The monster opens its mouth in a ROAR as it ‘swallows the CAMERA’.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 228

Postby Qyzbud » February 2nd, 2014, 12:41 pm

Some thoughts:
  • His movement is looking better — and the HD/fur aspect is a plus — but the motion still looks awkward to me.
  • The clumsy "stopping" animation is quite distracting, and may be subtracting from the overall appearance of his movements.
  • I think his hat should only bounce atop his head if he's running, rather than walking.

This animation has gradually improved over the past month or so, but I hope the slow nature of the progress isn't taking too much of your time/energy, or affecting your motivation... I have a feeling this kind of thing would start to frustrate me. :P
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Markster » February 2nd, 2014, 12:51 pm

The awesomeness of these Donkey Kong Country 3D animations is too much for my old computer!

In other words, my PC is very very slow...
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 37

Postby Cyclone » February 9th, 2014, 3:08 pm

Qyzbud wrote:Some thoughts:
  • His movement is looking better — and the HD/fur aspect is a plus — but the motion still looks awkward to me.
  • The clumsy "stopping" animation is quite distracting, and may be subtracting from the overall appearance of his movements.
  • I think his hat should only bounce atop his head if he's running, rather than walking.

This animation has gradually improved over the past month or so, but I hope the slow nature of the progress isn't taking too much of your time/energy, or affecting your motivation... I have a feeling this kind of thing would start to frustrate me. :P

Agree with your comments. After Taking a fresh look at the cartwheel it does need more work but I'm bored with it for now.

I'm Currently making a rough scene with diddy in the banana hoard. Still have to add a shot of the monster swallowing the camera. The glowing eyes will look more like eyes and there will be a few more. Right now i'm just laying out the sequence.

What do you think?

Expedition Leader
Bananas received 559

Postby Simion32 » February 10th, 2014, 6:34 am

Looks great Cyclone. :D

I really think you should concentrate on the basics (modeling/storylines) rather than stressing yourself out with too much animation stuff. ;)
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby sonosublime » February 10th, 2014, 3:59 pm

That is looking awesome. I can't wait to see the entire coherent scene.

And I agree with Simion, don't worry about bogging yourself down too much on animation stuff. It will develop naturally as you work on the project.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 228

Postby Cyclone » February 13th, 2014, 4:01 pm

I changed the glowing eyes and added the shot where the head swallows the camera. Sonosublime is that what you envisioned? Is it too cheesy?

Expedition Leader
Bananas received 559

Postby Super Luigi! » February 13th, 2014, 4:10 pm

I like both versions, but for the sake of constructive criticism, I vote for the second. By the way, why is the Advancing Kremling Head of Doom sparkly?
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 302

Postby Qyzbud » February 13th, 2014, 4:30 pm

This scene is looking quite cool. 8-)

As I mentioned in chat, I prefer the simpler, more mysterious-looking eyes of the previous version.

The Advancing Kremling Head of Doom is a nice idea, but it looks a bit too disembodied, and I think it'd work better if the scene was darker, so you couldn't tell that there was no body. I know it's pretty dark already, but it's just too obvious that there's no body, currently. Also, motion easing, a curved path, etc. might improve the appearance of that camera-swallowing animation — I think it could benefit from a more "organic" looking lunge.

I like the shot of Diddy observing the shadows on the cave interior, but I think it'd be better yet if he were to look toward the camera/cave entrance (to see the Kremlings themselves) during the second part of that shot, rather than looking at the wall shadows both times. You could keep the shot the same apart from Diddy's pose.

Super Luigi! wrote:why is the Advancing Kremling Head of Doom sparkly?

I think that's to represent the sharpness of those teeth! :angry:
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby sonosublime » February 14th, 2014, 12:04 am

No offence, but it is a little cheesy. I agree with Qyzbud that the Kremling needs a body, as well as a "more organic looking lunge". Also, I would suggest completely blackening/shadowing the Kremling so that you cannot see any features clearly.

What I had in mind was that, after the eyes appear, the camera cuts to near the far cave wall, where a dark figure of something that looks like a Kremling emerges from the shadows, its eyes glowing and teeth gleaming. The camera is slowly zooming in while this is happening, and then stops.

The Kremling pauses, looks directly at the camera, and then roars and LUNGES (very quickly) at the camera and 'swallows it'. The screen cuts to black while the Kremling's roar echoes and fades.

Oh, and I reckon the eyes would look better and more mysterious if they looked like Bowser's demonic looking eyes from Yoshi's Island:

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=evil ... h&imgdii=_
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 228

Postby Cyclone » February 15th, 2014, 3:16 pm

Qyzbud wrote:
I like the shot of Diddy observing the shadows on the cave interior, but I think it'd be better yet if he were to look toward the camera/cave entrance (to see the Kremlings themselves) during the second part of that shot, rather than looking at the wall shadows both times. You could keep the shot the same apart from Diddy's pose.

Good suggestion. Only thing is I don't have any kremlings modeled. And I thought sonosublime's script was to reveal the kremlings later on in the sequence. Or did I misunderstand? Diddy faces the camera instead(not showing the kremilings)?

Here is a version with bowser like glowing eyes and a new version of the the emerging kremling shot. Is that more like it sonosublime?

Expedition Leader
Bananas received 559

Postby sonosublime » February 15th, 2014, 8:25 pm

Looking MUCH better. Although, like I said, making the Kremling completely shadowed/black will maintain some mysteriousness (but leave the sharp teeth and glowing eyes visible). And only have him open his mouth when he begins to roar and lunge at the camera.

Also, I think you should leave some stalactites visible in the zoomed in shot of the Kremling, so we can tell that the Kremling is lunging at the camera. Right now, there aren't any other features visible in the background right now, and it looks like the camera is lunging at the Kremling at the end (even though I know this is not the case). Camera work is tricky, no?

Personally I think the sequence is fine with the shadows on the cave wall, but it's up to you.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 228

Postby Qyzbud » February 15th, 2014, 10:17 pm

Cyclone wrote:Diddy faces the camera instead(not showing the kremilings)?

Bingo! No need to model any Kremlings for my suggestion — just have Diddy turn to face the camera, with a shocked/scared look on his face (a zoom-in on his face might be good here).

New animation looks good — keep it up! :thumbs:
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Cyclone » February 16th, 2014, 3:32 pm

ok I will try animating diddy jump/turn around to face camera and see how it looks.

Sonosublime I darkened things up and added more stalactites and added the mouth opening.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjGIraf3 ... e=youtu.be
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 559

Postby sonosublime » February 17th, 2014, 12:49 pm

Looking really good now. The only thing I would change is making the Kremling's eyes look like the demonic ones in the previous shot.

If you like, once you have the complete beginning sequence done, I can make a facebook page, and try get some hype for this thing.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 228

Postby Cyclone » February 17th, 2014, 3:53 pm

I was thinking that about the eyes. But it might not look like a kremling anymore.

New version using Qyzbud's suggestion with diddy more or less facing the camera.
Does the sequence flow better this way?

Edit - The close up shot with diddy needs more frames at the ending. The shot change is too abrupt

A facebook page might be a good idea but the animation probably doesn't deserve the hype. My animation skills a very amateurish.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 559

Postby sonosublime » February 17th, 2014, 4:31 pm

I reckon it would still look like a Kremling with the demonic eyes, while still maintaining a menacing look. Why don't you give it a try?

I like Diddy's expression, and the tears in his eyes are a nice touch.

As for the new shot with Diddy turning toward the camera, I think I liked the original sequence better (i.e. with him seeing the shadows on 2 different parts of the wall). It also looks a bit odd with him turning toward the cave entrance, and then with the next shot having him facing away from the entrance.

You're too hard on yourself :P
When I animate something, I generally just make several keyframes of the character in each different pose, and then apply a rounding preset in between the smooth the animation. Does the program you're using allow you to do anything like that? Would be much easier than going frame by frame.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 228

Postby Cyclone » February 18th, 2014, 3:37 pm

Yea my programs allows smoothing keyframes.

Here is a more finished sequence. Added some bananas in that one shot and allso fixed diddy's position(I was going to do that anyways). Also I trie to get the shots to flow more smoothly.

Is the pacing good? Or are there parts to slow/fast.

Qyzbud how does the shadow shot look now?
Thanks in advance.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 559

Postby Qyzbud » February 18th, 2014, 6:47 pm

It's looking pretty good to me, Cyclone. :)

The part I offered my suggestions for last time (Diddy looking toward the cave entrance) looks similar to what I was picturing, but you've changed something that I meant for you to keep as it was; originally, the camera moved to show more Kremling shadows... but now it stays in place. I think it'd look better with the camera movement you had in place originally (or something very similar), as seeing more of the cave wall — and in particular more Kremling shadows — was a bonus for setting the scene, and showing how outnumbered Diddy was.

The pacing seems about right to me, but it's hard to tell for sure in this draft/storyboarding mode.
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby sonosublime » February 18th, 2014, 11:12 pm

Looking pretty awesome :) I like the Kremling, but maybe make his eyes red.

Also, I would remove the dissolves from the shot and make them straight cuts. Dissolves imply distinct separation in the action between scenes, but this banana hoard sequence is all a single scene.

Also, I agree with Qyzbud that you should have camera shift to a new position on the wall to show more kremling shadows. Maybe have it so it shows the right part of the wall first, and then, when Diddy looks toward the cave entrance, you show the left part of the wall.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 228

Postby Cyclone » February 19th, 2014, 1:28 pm

I got rid of the dissolves and animated the camera to show the other side of the cave.
The sequence might be a little fast.

Thanks for the continued feedback.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 559

Postby Qyzbud » February 19th, 2014, 7:22 pm

A step in the right direction. :D

I think Diddy's turn to face the cave entrance ought to coincide with the camera panning. Sono's suggestion of starting with the right-most view, before panning to the left might be good to help frame Diddy's frightened face better; having the shadows "behind" his face, and Diddy looking toward the edge of the frame (as he currently does) looks a little awkward.

If you need me to explain these ideas a little more clearly, just let me know. :)
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Cyclone » February 20th, 2014, 12:07 pm

Very funny...

I made the camera more dynamic in that shot and the shot that comes after diddy jumps back. I agree that shot looked awkward. The dynamic camera is a big improvment(even with shadow flaws).

Expedition Leader
Bananas received 559

Postby Phyreburnz » February 20th, 2014, 12:32 pm

Very cool so far! I suggest slightly shortening the scene with the eyes, though. It seems like that is the longest time the camera rests and it doesn't need to rest there that long.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Cyclone » February 22nd, 2014, 12:27 pm

I added two new shots to the beginning of the sequence.
Sonosublime is it starting to follow the script? I'm not sure how to incorporate the internal thinking(dialog) you put in. Maybe it needs more shots?

Also there is one shot of diddy facing the entrance with lightning flashing that could be removed. It might not flow with the rest of the sequence.

Your thoughts?

Spoiler!
INT. DK’S BANANA HOARD
-
SAME
Another BOOM of THUNDER causes DIDDY KONG to CRY OUT in
FEAR.
He is a
SMALL
MONKEY with
BROWN FUR
, and wears
a RED CAP and
RED SHIRT with a GOLD STAR emblazoned on the front.
He calms himself down and looks back toward the BANANA HOARD

a huge pile of BANANAS, reaching all the way to the ceiling.
DIDDY
(MISERABLE)
Oh, man! How did I get myself into this? „
You
have to guard
the banana hoard
tonight
‟, DK
says... „It‟s
an
important
step in
your hero
training‟, he says...
Diddy begins to pace backwards and forwards.
DIDDY (CONT’D)
I mean, sure, if it helps
me to become a better
person
and get more respect, I‟m all for it,
but surely there has to be a better way than me
standing outside
in the rain
while everyone
else is at home and warm
and cozy
in bed...
Diddy pauses and looks
contemplative

DIDDY
(CONT’D)
(SARCASTIC)
Aaaaaaand now I‟m talking to myself. That‟s
just
great, Diddy. Totally not crazy
at all

LIGHTNING flashes and THUNDER BOOMS, eliciting another CRY OF
FEAR from Diddy. He jumps around to face the cave entrance
taking up a comical fi
ghting stance.
The lightning fades, once again leaving the cave in darkness.
Diddy slowly begins to relax.
DIDDY (CONT’D)
It‟s okay. It‟s just the storm. Just the

LIGHTNING flashes again, but this time
the
menacing SHADOWS of
REPTILIAN ASSAILANTS are cast all over the cave wall! Diddy
scrambles
back in
fear
As darkness falls over the cave once again,
RED,
GREEN
AND
BLUE
PAIRS OF EYES gleam in the shadows. More and more eyes
gradually appear.
We focus
on
one shadow that moves forward, dagger
-
like TEETH
GLEAMING
. The monster opens its mouth in a ROAR as it
„swallows the
CAMERA‟
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 559

Postby Rux Ton » February 22nd, 2014, 3:54 pm

That looks great Cyclone! It really has the old DKC feel to it with the coloring and such. The animation is pretty fluid too!
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 17

Postby Cyclone » February 23rd, 2014, 1:39 pm

Thanks. I tried to give it the look of the games, although there will be some differences.

It's about time I added blinking to Diddy. Easier then I though it would be. The only issue is getting his eyes to rotate and look in different directions. Excuse the lighting and shaking and composition. Was just a quick render.

Here is a test.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 559

Postby Cyclone » February 24th, 2014, 3:58 pm

I removed the shot with diddy jumping back with the view of the entrance. I think it flows much better without it. I also added blinking to the close up shot of diddy's face.

Expedition Leader
Bananas received 559

Postby sonosublime » February 24th, 2014, 6:23 pm

That is looking absolutely brilliant, Cyclone! Personally, though, I like Sequence H better than I (but the eye blinking is good). The scene with Diddy facing the entrance looks good, in my opinion.

I would also suggest adding another lightning flash (with more Kremling shadows) during the part where the camera revolves around Diddy. That would look really good.

Also, there is no internal dialogue in the script - everything is spoken aloud. The part where Diddy is talking (aloud) to himself happens before the Kremling shadows appear (i.e. before the current banana hoard sequence you have put together). Diddy would be pacing up and down, looking terrified and venting to himself. Then lightning flashes and he sees the Kremling shadows (as per the script).
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 228

Postby Qyzbud » February 25th, 2014, 9:08 am

Sorry for not providing feedback earlier; work has been stealing my time and energy away from everything I hold dear. :kiddysad:

I like that you are beginning to implement smooth animations and camera movements, but I think when it comes to showing things lit by lightning (like Kremling shadows/silhouettes, etc.), it's better to use a fixed camera rather than a pan. It may just be personal preference, but I think a stationary view (or a series of stationary views) is more suited to this sort of thing.

The blinking is a nice idea, but I think it needs to be quicker and more subtle. Unless you're going for the heavy "if I blink my eyes, hopefully they'll disappear" kind of blink, it should probably be a more natural and 'incidental' effect; currently it looks to me like Diddy is trying too hard to blink. :P

I agree with sono's suggestion regarding adding another lightning flash — it'd build the drama better, I would think.

I'm still not sure how best to depict dialogue... perhaps you could try the monkey sounds/speech bubble approach, to see how that feels? We could always do our best ape impressions, and take the voice recording approach. :lol:
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Cyclone » February 25th, 2014, 4:22 pm

Yet again thank you for your feedbacks! Helps push me to make things better 8-)

I changed the pacing somewhat(a bit quicker) and made the camera stationary during the lighting strikes. Gives the viewer time to see what's on the walls(Good point Qyzbud)I wanted to keep the panning of the camera. After awhile tt's hard to judge how the shots flow as they tend to blend together and in need of fresh eyes.

Expedition Leader
Bananas received 559

Postby sonosublime » February 25th, 2014, 7:41 pm

Looking very good! Once you add the beginning part with the jungle storm, it will be a very awesome start.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 228

Postby Super Luigi! » February 26th, 2014, 2:32 am

Indeed. I'm sorry I wasn't commenting and helping you before Cyclone, but sonosublime and Qyzbud basically said all I wanted to. So, excellent job, here's a banana, and please don't be angry with me!
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 302

Postby Cyclone » February 26th, 2014, 4:12 pm

No problem Super Luigi.

Guess Who?
Of course I just started it so it doesn't look like much now.

Necky5.png
Necky5.png (365.74 KiB) Viewed 73362 times
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 559

Postby Phyreburnz » February 26th, 2014, 4:27 pm

Most excellent progress, Cyclone! :kiddycool:

This is coming along quite nicely!

I am not sure if you have Diddy shivering as soon as we see him or not (it appears that you do). If you wouldn't mind a suggestion, I think that maybe he should only star to shiver after he looks at the banana pile. He should look nervous before then, but I think the shivering would be better after his fear escalates.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby sonosublime » February 26th, 2014, 6:54 pm

Nice job. Necky is looking great, especially for something you just started on.
however, I don't remember writing Necky into the script. Which part were you going to put him in? Or is he just going to be a cameo in the background or something?
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 228

Postby Cyclone » February 27th, 2014, 12:18 pm

Phyreburnz wrote:I think that maybe he should only star to shiver after he looks at the banana pile. He should look nervous before then, but I think the shivering would be better after his fear escalates.

Yes I agree. I will change that.

sonosublime wrote:I don't remember writing Necky into the script. Which part were you going to put him in? Or is he just going to be a cameo in the background or something?

I am putting him in the island scene. There will be Neckies flying around Kremkrock industries. I do hope to fit him in some of the shots if I can. We'll see. :)

Also the Banana Hoard sequence is not done. The lighting and geometry of the cave needs more work.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 559

Postby Cyclone » February 27th, 2014, 6:06 pm

An update on Necky. hmm not quite right...

Necky9.png
Necky9.png (363.33 KiB) Viewed 73325 times
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 559

Postby Simion32 » February 28th, 2014, 1:06 pm

He's right. Something is a bit off.

The color of his feathers/fur maybe?

The beak definitely needs some reworked coloring (end of beak should be different), too... ;)
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Phyreburnz » February 28th, 2014, 1:19 pm

To me, it appears that his body is about two times too small. Also, his wings are not attached at the back.
The one thing that throws me off a bit are different renders of Necky by Rare. In some, his head looks enormous, but in others and in the sprites in the game, it seems relatively normal.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

PreviousNext

Return to DKC Projects/Fanworks