DKC 3D Modeling/Animation Project PHASE ONE COMPLETE

Working on your own project related to the Donkey Kong Country series?
This forum is your place to discuss fangames, artwork, stories and so forth which are DKC relevant.

Re: DKC 3D Modeling/Animation Project

Postby Cyclone » September 24th, 2013, 1:06 pm

Qyzbud thanks again for your suggestions. Here is an updated version. I made that ridge on his face more defined to match the reference. I think he looks better on the side view now. But how does the front view look?

Diddy23Profiles.png

Judging by the lack of comments on diddy. It's not a show stopper. I want it to look great. Anyone feel free to give critiques. :)
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 559

Postby Phyreburnz » September 24th, 2013, 1:13 pm

That looks much better, Cyclone. The only suggestion that I think I have is to maybe make his head (just the part with the fur, not his mouth) a little bit wider. The top of his head looks a little thin from the front facing view.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Super Luigi! » September 24th, 2013, 2:45 pm

I'm sorry for not supplying feedback, Cyclone. Everything that I had a problem with was already pointed out by our fellow Atlas members. I've stared at your newest screenshot for a good 30 seconds, but I can't find any mistakes.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 302

Postby Qyzbud » September 24th, 2013, 4:07 pm

Yes, I agree with Phyre — perhaps shrinking the mouth (and then enlarging the whole model, if necessary) would be easier than enlarging the top of the head, though. Of course, you'd know much better than I would about this stuff. :lol:

I wouldn't worry about the lack of comments — your Diddysmanship is excellent — as SL hinted, I'd say it's because everyone has come to expect amazing things from you, so when you deliver them, it's just "another example of Cyclone's brilliance" for everyone to enjoy, rather than remark about. :)
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Cyclone » September 25th, 2013, 12:38 pm

Thanks for the kind words Qyzbud. I wish I was brilliant. I know it can look better but the mesh is a bit disorderly. I used DK's head and just moved things around. Anyways Going to give the face a break and work on his body.

Thanks again for the comments.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 559

Postby sonosublime » September 25th, 2013, 4:20 pm

Cyclone, Diddy is looking very nice. Although I reckon his fur should be a bit darker. Also, I quite like the 'wavy' effect that Retro gave it. And that reference you used to shrink his eyes and rotate his ears was a shot of him running, and I remember his hat flying up his head slightly when that happens.

I do kind of like the idea of possibly having Squawks fly DK out to the ship while Diddy hitches a ride on Enguarde and threatens K. Rool with blowing up the ship, causing him to accept the ceasefire. And when he betrays his trust, the parrots could drop torches that lights the gunpowder. I don't know... What do you guys think?

Personally, I just would have thought it would be easier to model Diddy riding on Rambi (which goes with the whole animal buddy concept). As shown in the script, there's not much to model in the beach battle. Just Diddy and Rambi mowing down some Kremlings, and the rest fleeing into the sea.

As for the swordfish capsizing the ship, it might be a bit farfetched, but maybe if there's enough of them throwing themselves against the hull, it's possible. Or we could just go with the gunpowder blowing up the ship. Whatever you reckon.

Qyzbud, I can see what you're saying about Diddy. But if I already have him brave at the beginning, then there's not much character development to be seen by the end. But if it bothers you, I can revise the scene to have him challenge the intruders. What do you think?

You have a point re the Krenlings' themes. I suppose having the Krenlings that chase the Kongs in the mines as generic crocodiles, and the ones that arrive on Gangplank Galleon as pirates will mesh DKC and DKC2 canon quite well.

Let me know what you think, guys and girls, and I'll make the appropriate changes to the script.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 228

Postby Cyclone » September 30th, 2013, 12:56 pm

sonosublime I gave it some thought and I think we should go with Diddy/Rambi Mowing down the kremlings on the beach. When K.Rool goes back on his word...I don't know is there another way the boat can sink? I'm thinking its going to be hard to do the fire on the ship. Unless its theres no fire but just an explosion on the inside of the ship and we see parts of the ship fly with only a bit of fire.

Here is all the time I had to work on Diddy lately. Does he look odd? It's going to look different without his red shirt.

Diddy28B.png
Diddy28B.png (307.28 KiB) Viewed 83653 times

Diddy28A.png
Diddy28A.png (459.74 KiB) Viewed 83653 times
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 559

Postby Qyzbud » October 2nd, 2013, 11:59 am

Well, his arms are definitely a bit more muscular than I would expect, but otherwise... not bad!

Once you add hands, reduce the arm musculature, give him some fur — and of course a trendy red singlet — he'll be lookin' fly. 8-)
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby CountryFan » October 2nd, 2013, 1:19 pm

Fully agree about the arms. They need to be thinned out a bit.

Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 23

Postby Cyclone » October 2nd, 2013, 3:02 pm

I gave him larger muscles cuzz DKC1 model had larger arms. But I reduced the musculature anyways and gave him the shirt, which I will add wrinkles to it.

I'm not really happy with how Diddy is turning out... I think his head looks odd.

Diddy31(profiles).png
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 559

Postby Qyzbud » October 2nd, 2013, 4:06 pm

He's looking so much better with those changes — bravo!

I still think the arms (and perhaps his chest/shoulder area) are a little large — even compared to his DKC look — but I'll take a proper look when I get home.

His head looks great, and as soon as you give him a more natural looking pose — perhaps with an open-mouthed expression — I think he'll look a lot more "right". :)
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Cyclone » October 3rd, 2013, 10:56 am

Thanks for the comments.
Here is a slightly revised model. I shrunk his arms and legs a bit.
I think overall it's improved a bit. What areas still need improving?

Diddy33.png
Diddy33.png (849.37 KiB) Viewed 83565 times

I will do a turntable later.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 559

Postby Qyzbud » October 3rd, 2013, 11:10 am

His legs were okay before, I thought — now they're way too skinny... well, at least his left leg (nearest the camera), which looks like a noodle now. :?

I'll see if I can draw up some comparison sketches for you today, or at least find some good example renders to clarify how I think Diddy's arms (and shoulders/chest) should look.
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Phyreburnz » October 3rd, 2013, 11:24 am

I can give you some suggestions.

Bring his shoulders in to make his body thinner. If you can get his legs back to where they were before, I think it would help. He needs more of a neck. Not too much, but his head just needs raised above his body a little bit. His arms could be a little bit thinner, as well.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Qyzbud » October 3rd, 2013, 11:55 am

Good suggestions, Phyre.

Cyclone, this render might be helpful with head, arm, neck and tail reference, etc.:

Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Cyclone » October 4th, 2013, 10:49 am

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

I moved his shoulders closer to his body,shrunk them down and corrected the anatomy of the arms somewhat. Made the legs larger again along with slightly larger feet.

I know its not good yet so keep the comments coming. Thanks alot!

Turntable0000.png
Turntable0000.png (702.53 KiB) Viewed 83534 times
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 559

Postby Phyreburnz » October 4th, 2013, 12:55 pm

Looking better.

I have another suggestion, you should try to make his body more egg shaped (with the thinner part at the top).

Oh, and I have a question. From what render are you basing this model?
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Cyclone » October 4th, 2013, 2:55 pm

Mainly these images. The DKC Returns model for the nose and other details.
Spoiler!
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 559

Postby sonosublime » October 4th, 2013, 6:10 pm

Diddy's really starting to come along and look really good :thumbs:
However, I feel like his tail should be a bit thinner, and his head brought up a little bit. Also, his body is still looking a bit too chubby.

Anyway, here is the next revision of the script:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/6g4o4 ... B5%5D.docx

There are some small changes, such as changing how the ship sinks, and making Diddy sealed in a DK barrel instead of a regular old barrel.

Also, once the animation and movie sequences are underway, I'd be happy to offer my services in the music department. I'm quite good at cutting and editing music to fit scenes. The way I've written some scenes would fit perfectly with some music I have in mind.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 228

Postby Cyclone » October 6th, 2013, 10:14 am

I slimmed down Diddy so he's not so fat. Still have to make his rear look more realistic. I'm willing to spend more time on him. Are there anymore suggestions you guys have? Thanks again.

Turntable0000.png
Turntable0000.png (661.42 KiB) Viewed 83491 times

I thoroughly read the script and It's getting better. :D I'm almost satisfied with it. Just a few things. What you have is good just a bit much to create.

- There is a lot of action/interactions with the kremlings in particular(mine cart,beach,tree tops,ship,kremkrock industries,bees). Could we cut out some of it? The action scenes I'm not too sure I can pull off in the first place and seems like a lot work. Maybe cut out the fighting in the Kremkrock industries. We can still keep the location but have something different happen there. I like the mine cart sequence in particular,bees and tree tops the most. I always thought the game was a journey to get to k.rool. It kinda stalls where you have the battle on the beach and ship going on at the same time.

- The Ambush captain should not be red but some other colour pallet that is in the Original DKC game. Also I think Qyzbud mentioned this but Krusha is a type of Kremling not a name. But we could just use creative license.

About the music. You say you can create music from scratch? How good are you? I was going to use DKC1/2 style music. We could mix music from other sources but nothing popular that people would recognize right away. It's gota stay true so Rare's style.

Qyzbud that do you think about all of this. Other Atlas users have you read the script?
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 559

Postby Qyzbud » October 7th, 2013, 2:58 pm

Just a quick reply, sorry — I promise to go into better depth soon.

Diddy's arms are looking better; once you add some fur/texturing, I think it'll be a closer a match to the source's appearance.

Critique

• Diddy's head/hat seems to bulge forward a bit (rather than being a gradual curve) at the front; I think that might be contributing to him looking a bit "off".
  • Although it looks a bit better, Diddy's torso's proportions are still a bit "stocky"/top-heavy looking to me.
  • This is obviously a matter of taste, but I definitely prefer the original Diddy's feet (three toes, human-esque foot shape); the feet you've designed are excellent, but just not what I picture when I think of DKC Diddy...

Sono, I'll try to find a chance to read through the updated script as soon as possible. :)
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Cyclone » October 8th, 2013, 2:34 pm

Thanks Qyzbud. You would think by now I would notice those issues on my own...but in any case thanks for the tips. More the merrier.

This pic you can't notice the changes that easily but look at the youtube vid to see more angles.

Turntable0000.png
Turntable0000.png (654.72 KiB) Viewed 83436 times

Also Just started on this. Hmm what could it be.
MineCart1.png
MineCart1.png (419.39 KiB) Viewed 83436 times

Thanks again for the feed back Qyzbud. If you have the time more critiques would be helpfull. I think Diddy is starting to look better. But still not quite there.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 559

Postby sonosublime » October 8th, 2013, 5:57 pm

Diddy is looking much better. Really nice!
Some suggestions:
1. As you said, his behind needs a little more work. Particularly, his bum is looking a bit fat (sorry Diddy! Just eat less cake!).
2. The stars on his shirt. The one on Diddy's right should be a little smaller and brought up a bit, while the one on Diddy's left should be brought down a little bit (going by Retro's render). Also, I don't think the stars on the back of the shirt are necessary.

The mine cart is looking excellent. I really like the texture you've given it.

Re the script:

Why don't we see how the action scenes go first? If they are very difficult to pull off, I'll see if I can rewrite some to make the modelling/rigging easier to pull off. In the cave fight scene, you won't have to show much, as it will mostly be in the darkness.

Re the beach fight scene, as I said before, I like the idea of DK and Diddy having their own separate battles to fight. Even if it is just a reference to the fact. If you like, I could keep the beginning part, but cut out the part where Diddy and Rambi chase all the Kremlings off the beach.

What colour would you like the Ambush Captain to be?

Re the music, in addition to some classic DKC tracks, I'll also make use of music that isn't recognisable. Including some panpipe/guitar tracks which I feel would really suit the atmosphere of the island.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 228

Postby Cyclone » October 9th, 2013, 12:55 pm

Ok. Beach scene stays cuzz I like the idea of Diddy riding rambi. :D

What kind of kremling is the ambush captain? We already have krusha which is blue. Kitters are green. A klump would be too fat to fit in a mine kart. I don't think an eye patch would be enough to distinguish him from the other kremlings. Maybe he can be brown?
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 559

Postby sonosublime » October 9th, 2013, 5:07 pm

The Ambush Captain is just a run-of-the-mill Kremling (I kind of portrayed them like humans - ie. they all have their own individual traits and appearances, rather than being a 'Kritter', or a 'Krusha', or a 'Klump', etc...). If you like, I can make him brown, and give him an eye-patch and green bandana to make him stand out a little more. He is a fairly minor character though.

Anyway, I was quite bored today, and decided to make a start on a script for a hypothetical DKC2 animation, for fun. I know, I'm getting just a bit ahead of myself. Damn my enthusiasm... :D

DKC2:

Spoiler!
FADE IN:

DREAM SEQUENCE EXT. OCEAN - EVENING

A thick grey wall of FOG hangs over the ocean, making it difficult to see. It is quite dark. The wind WHISTLES, and from somewhere comes the FAINT SOUND of WIND CHIMES.

Suddenly, a MASSIVE GALLEON looms in view, but not many of its features are visible, obscured in the FOG.

DREAM SEQUENCE EXT. GALLEON, MAIN DECK - SAME

FOG is everywhere. DIDDY and DIXIE stand on the otherwise abandoned deck of the ship, at the bottom of the mainbrace.

Diddy is a SMALL MONKEY with BROWN FUR, and wears a RED CAP and RED SHIRT with a GOLD STAR emblazoned on the front.

Dixie is a SMALL MONKEY with GREEN EYES. Most of her LONG BLONDE HAIR is tied up in a PONYTAIL, but she also has a SHORT FRINGE and two TWIRLED BANGS. She wears a PINK BERET and a PINK SHIRT, which is knotted at the bottom. She also wears PINK KNEE-PADS.

Diddy is looking nervously around the FOGGY and ABANDONED deck, while Dixie is looking up the GIGANTIC MAST.

NEW ANGLE, we momentarily SHARE the same POV as DIXIE as she looks up the mast. Through the thick FOG, we can just catch glimpses of what looks to be a GIANT BIRD flying in circles around the top.

NEW ANGLE, we see Dixie continuing to look up the mast nervously.

DIXIE
We have to climb up there.

DIDDY
(CONFUSED)
Why? Where are we?

Dixie turns to him with a startled expression.

DIXIE
Why? You know why! We have to save...
(voice ECHOES AND FADES at end)

DIDDY
Who do we have to save? What’s going on?

An ECHOING SCREECH can be heard from the top of the mast, causing Diddy to look up. When he turns back to Dixie, he stumbles back in fear.

Dixie is gone. In her place stands a HUGE AND INTIMIDATING FIGURE, shrouded in the SHADOWS AND FOG. None of the figure’s features are clearly visible, but the outlines of a BLUNDERBUSS and CAPTAIN’S HAT can be seen.

SMASH CUT TO:

INT. DK’S TREE-HOUSE – NIGHT

Diddy awakens with a GASP, and SWEAT on his face. He sits up in his hammock and takes a moment to get his breathing back under control.

Diddy glances over at the bed on the far side of the room, where DK, a LARGE GORILLA with BROWN SHAGGY FUR, lies SNORING, completely oblivious to the world.

NEW ANGLE, close-up on Diddy’s face. His fear and alarm can be seen in his expression.

CUT TO:

TITLE SEQUENCE EXT. OUTSIDE DK’S TREE-HOUSE – DAWN

We zoom out and away from DK’s tree-house and rise above the jungle. The sky begins to brighten as the morning approaches.

LOGO FADES IN OVER MOVIE:

“DONKEY KONG COUNTRY 2

DIDDY’S KONG QUEST”
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 228

Postby Cyclone » October 10th, 2013, 12:47 pm

^ I think green kremling(kritter) with an eye-pach and bandana would work. The mine cart is brown so a brown kremling wouldn't work.

Here is an 85% version of the mine cart. All that's left is modeling the light at the front.

MineCart4.png
MineCart4.png (815.42 KiB) Viewed 83354 times

And yes I'm still working on Diddy. Just taking a day or two break. :)
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 559

Postby Qyzbud » October 11th, 2013, 10:47 am

The cart is looking fly, Cyclone! I'm guessing this is your main reference:

Spoiler!

I think a slightly darker texture layered over the top of the current texture you've got in place would look good; of course, scene lighting could probably achieve a similar effect, but I just thought I'd put my two cents in. :)

his bum is looking a bit fat (sorry Diddy! Just eat less cake!)

Classic! :D

I do agree; the little fella is looking much better after your recent efforts, but some reshaping of his hindquarters would certainly help. ;)

*still typing up a more thorough response, but wanted to post this without further delay*
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Cyclone » October 11th, 2013, 12:00 pm

Here is more or less complete version of the mine cart(unless some one has critiques). I would notmaly smooth all the geometry. May do that if I have time/ram available when it comes to implementing it to my project. I will make a simple scene. similar to that reference you posted. How's it look now. 8-)

MineCart5.png
MineCart5.png (983.66 KiB) Viewed 83317 times
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 559

Postby Qyzbud » October 11th, 2013, 12:13 pm

Woah... lookin' very nice indeed. :o

That lighting/shadow work certainly improves the overall aesthetics. Apart from perhaps being a little more "rich" a brown than the original, I think you've nailed it.

One point, though; some of the texturing on the top "rim" and base of the cart look a little stretched; if you fix that — and the slight darkening/desaturisation of the brown — you'll have a very pretty cart on your hands. ;)

Edit: I've just had a closer look, and the rivets on the front of the cart (which look funny anyway, if you ask me) don't exist in the SNES-era render — perhaps you ought to give those a miss? The ones on the side still look great, and do indeed belong there... and honestly, although they aren't in the reference, I do like the ones on the little panel on the front of the cart... you could keep those ones, perhaps. :)

Now sono, I've owed you a response or two for a while now...

Quite a while back, sonosublime wrote:Qyzbud, I can see what you're saying about Diddy. But if I already have him brave at the beginning, then there's not much character development to be seen by the end. But if it bothers you, I can revise the scene to have him challenge the intruders. What do you think?

Sorry for the delayed response sono, but I think you know my stance/opinion anyway; character building is great, and your story does it well, but I think we ought to do it within the confines of the official story. If you really need me to, I can write an example of how you can stay true to the story while developing Diddy's bravery... :huh:

In that same post, sonosublime wrote:You have a point re the Krenlings' themes. I suppose having the Krenlings that chase the Kongs in the mines as generic crocodiles, and the ones that arrive on Gangplank Galleon as pirates will mesh DKC and DKC2 canon quite well.

*Kremlings! Also, I like this idea. :thumbs:
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Cyclone » October 12th, 2013, 12:19 pm

Why did this topic move to announcements? :scratch:

I managed to fit DK in the cart without too much effort.I will consider removing those front rivets.

MineCart6(WDKEdited).png
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 559

Postby Qyzbud » October 12th, 2013, 1:39 pm

DK looks pretty good in the cart, although his fur and hands seem to seep through it a little. :P

I set this topic as an announcement so that it's more prominent on the forum; it's one of the best and most active projects we have here, so I figured it deserved a little promotion. :)
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby sonosublime » October 13th, 2013, 1:35 am

The mine cart's looking very nice Cyclone. Awesome work. I reckon the front rivets add a bit more character. As Qyzbud stated, there are some flaws in DK's pose, but I'm sure those can be smoothed out.

Sorry for the delayed response sono, but I think you know my stance/opinion anyway; character building is great, and your story does it well, but I think we ought to do it within the confines of the official story. If you really need me to, I can write an example of how you can stay true to the story while developing Diddy's bravery... :huh:

Yes, Qyzbud, if you could do that, it would be helpful, thanks.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 228

Postby mrmugenwii » October 13th, 2013, 5:16 am

Are this models beeing used for the Galore project?
If so,
Sorry if this has been posted, but so why not use existing 3d models that have been ripped?
there are many out there
Anyways i can offer to help rig one or two models for you if you like. Though my help would be limited because of work and stuff, I can knock out one or two rigs for you if you like. I use 3ds max by the way. Im pretty good at rigging shoulders, fingers, waists you name it. Anyways here is my youtube channel(some rigs in there are not final just quick ones)
https://www.youtube.com/user/MrMugenwii
and my e-mail address is mr.mugenwii@live.com if youre interested in my help
Newcomer

Postby Cyclone » October 13th, 2013, 11:54 am

^ What is this Galore project? Never heard of it and I searched google.

As for not using pre-made models. I like to create things on my own. More rewarding that way. 8-)
And thanks for the offer to rig some models. Again I like to do the rigging on my own. That way I can learn the process. It is one of the areas I dislike the most. So maybe you could help if I have trouble?

@Qyzbud - I removed those rivets and changed DK's skin tone(was too yellow). Look better now? I put together a very quick/simple scene. This is as far as I'm going to go with the scene. It's more of a concept.

MineCart10(WithScene+DK).png
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 559

Postby Qyzbud » October 13th, 2013, 12:18 pm

Awesome to see a scene coming together, although it has given me the impression that DK looks a bit small in the cart... I'm not certain, but it just appears that way to my eyes. Just have a look pack and forth between the original image and your render and I think you'll see what I mean.

Brilliant effort anyhow, as always!

@mrmugenwii: Good on you for offering your services; I'm checking out your channel, and it's occurred to me that maybe you were referring to Leo's Gale Gare Land project when you mentioned the "Galore" project... is that right? :scratch:
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby mrmugenwii » October 14th, 2013, 9:26 am

@Qyzbud
Indeed
i had the idea cyclone was in it or something
@cyclone
ill be glad to help with any troubleshooting
and ill like to ask for a favor, would it be possible for you to share your awesome dk island model with me and my group as we would like to import it into Super Smash Bros Brawl(as a stage element)...
ill give you full credit for the model of course.

mr.mugenwii@live.com
Newcomer

Postby Qyzbud » October 14th, 2013, 9:40 am

I think Cyclone has contributed to that project, so you're on the right track. :)

You may wish to avoid posting your email address publicly — spambots might find it...

A PM to Cyclone is probably a better idea.
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Cyclone » October 14th, 2013, 1:51 pm

@mrmugenwii - The island has millions of polys I doubt you could use it. Yea I was contributing to Leo's Gale Gare Land project. Haven't heard from him in a while. hmm

@Qyzbud - This is as big as I can get DK looking in the cart without making the cart too wide or too short. Does it look "bad" or is something we can call acceptable?
Attachments
MineCart11(WithScene+DK).png
Made cart slightly smaller
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 559

Postby sonosublime » October 15th, 2013, 1:08 am

I reckon the scene looks great, and the scale is good too. From the looks of it, the pursuing carts would be able to fit ~3 kremlings or so, which would be about right.

What's next after you finish Diddy? Are you going to look into starting movie sequences soon?
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 228

Postby mrmugenwii » October 15th, 2013, 7:32 am

the only thing that bothers me about the kart render is dk's fingers posure, maybe they should be gripping or something?
the fur looks so real, good job
the place where the hands and the fur touch kinda make it look like he is wearing a sweater or something.
I would recommend for some edits there
about the stage, do you think we can pro-optimize it?
does the water take in a huge poly count?
we could probably bypass it...
currently our models(characters) can take up to 14,000 polys
so I would imagine that for stages there is a bigger poly count...
i really only do characters but i would die for a dk island stage in brawl :kiddycool:
Newcomer

Postby Phyreburnz » October 16th, 2013, 1:25 am

It's looking wonderful! I do agree with mrmugenwii about DK's fingers. His palms should be on top of the cart's edge with his fingers down the front. Also, I know that your minecart is either too big or DK is too small, but I really don't see that as too much of an issue.

dkc1_minecart.jpg
dkc1_minecart.jpg (44.28 KiB) Viewed 83150 times
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby VideoViking » October 16th, 2013, 5:25 am

A little tip: Tripod websites block hotlinking by default, regardless if the HTTP prefix is on the URL or not. It's better to just attach the image to the forum.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 41

Postby Cyclone » October 18th, 2013, 9:57 am

sonosublime wrote:I reckon the scene looks great, and the scale is good too. From the looks of it, the pursuing carts would be able to fit ~3 kremlings or so, which would be about right.

What's next after you finish Diddy? Are you going to look into starting movie sequences soon?

Yes after Diddy I will work on the cave/banana hoard scene...hopefully :D

Here is Diddy with a quick fur setup. His shirt needs wrinkles still.
I really need critiques on Diddy especially his face/head. I don't think diddy is good enough yet. Thanks in advance!

Expedition Leader
Bananas received 559

Postby Qyzbud » October 19th, 2013, 9:30 am

Your current Diddy is looking excellent!

At the moment, all I can think to suggest is that you make the fur around his eyes a bit less shaggy; in all the reference art I've seen, that fur is very subtle, and rarely overlaps the whites of his eyes (except for a tiny bit up where they connect).

Here's a side-on DKC2-era render for reference:
Spoiler!

Looking at this render, I also think you might need to make Diddy's hat and/or the top of his head a bit bigger... he kind of looks like a pinhead. :p

These issues aside, it seems you've taken everyone's feedback on board, which is great. :)

As for DK in the cart, I really do think the scale needs to be tweaked; DK's meant to be big and tough, but in that oversized minecart he looks kind of puny and insignificant. :|

Not to sound harsh, but is it really so difficult to match the scale shown in the original render?
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby sonosublime » October 19th, 2013, 12:28 pm

Cyclone wrote:Yes after Diddy I will work on the cave/banana hoard scene...hopefully :D

Here is Diddy with a quick fur setup. His shirt needs wrinkles still.
I really need critiques on Diddy especially his face/head. I don't think diddy is good enough yet. Thanks in advance!

Awesome to hear. I look forward to seeing how it turns out :)

Critique for Diddy:
1. The stars on his shirt are too similar in size. I remember one being a lot bigger than the other.
2. His fur is a little too bright. A darker brown would look better in my opinion.
3. He looks absolutely fine from the front. Looking from the side, however, his body and head look a little too 'egg-shaped' (ie. narrow at the top). I reckon he would look better with consistent body proportions. He also looks a little hunched over.
4. Looking from the back, his bum still looks a bit big.
5. I agree with Qyzbud that his hat could be bigger.

That's all I can think of for now.

As for DK in the cart, I really do think the scale needs to be tweaked; DK's meant to be big and tough, but in that oversized minecart he looks kind of puny and insignificant. :|

I think the scale of DK and the mine cart is fine. Mine carts are quite big, usually able to fit 3 people or so. If anything, the scale of the mine-cart in the original render is a little small.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 228

Postby Qyzbud » October 19th, 2013, 1:17 pm

sonosublime wrote:Mine carts are quite big, usually able to fit 3 people or so. If anything, the scale of the mine-cart in the original render is a little small.

The scale of real-life minecarts is worth mentioning, but for the purposes of this modelling project, Cyclone's aiming to match Rare's designs as closely as possible. The original render is the "golden standard" for our reference — whether or not it's a perfect depiction of the minecarts used in our world.

You're certainly right about the stars on Diddy's shirt, but the difference in position (high/low) is what I've always noticed; here's an image for reference:

Spoiler!

Another render, showing a similar (reversed?) design on the back of Diddy's shirt:

Spoiler!
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Cyclone » October 19th, 2013, 4:15 pm

Qyzbud wrote:The scale of real-life minecarts is worth mentioning, but for the purposes of this modelling project, Cyclone's aiming to match Rare's designs as closely as possible. The original render is the "golden standard" for our reference — whether or not it's a perfect depiction of the minecarts used in our world.

Well that is true. I can adjust the height of the cart but then the cart will look too wide. I can't reduce the width of the cart because DK's sholders will poke through. I would have to change the model of DK and re-rig it.

Does Diddy really look egg shaped? I'm not sure how I'm going to fix that.

Thanks again for the feedback.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 559

Postby Simion32 » October 20th, 2013, 5:30 am

The cart probably is actually smaller - it's just that DK's arms are usually right up against the walls of the cart? That would make his hair push against the inner wall, but I don't know if it's easy for you to do that.

I'd say DK needs to be just a TINY BIT bigger in comparison to the cart itself.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Cyclone » October 20th, 2013, 12:05 pm

I think this is more like Qyzbud was thinking. I managed to rotate his shoulders some to allow for more room.
Hopefully he's not too big. ;)

MineCart12(WithScene+DK).png
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 559

Postby CatLoverMolly » October 20th, 2013, 1:39 pm

Something about the fur just looks...off. Maybe it's the shaders? But I digress, excellent work!
EDIT: Christopher would like me to post this for you. Spoiler for size.
Spoiler!
You do a favor for me? On the site: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=1688&start=400 Cyclone need the Kremling jolly roger, I have two to see which he prefers.

Kremling Krew.
http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2 ... g_Krew.png
Skurvy Krew.
http://images.wikia.com/donkey-kong/pt/ ... y_Krew.PNG

PS: I do not know much mess in DKC Atlas and I want it delivered to him, please.
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 100

PreviousNext

Return to DKC Projects/Fanworks