Ideas for new enemies

Working on your own project related to the Donkey Kong Country series?
This forum is your place to discuss fangames, artwork, stories and so forth which are DKC relevant.

Ideas for new enemies

Postby Phyreburnz » July 15th, 2012, 3:34 pm

I was thinking about trying to make 3D models (like the ones Cosmicman is making) of new enemies for the DKC series. I'm pretty much done with sprite editing, I think, because I did just about everything, and I'm thinking about trying modeling again for more things to keep me busy.

To start out, I was thinking of making more cold enemies. Each DKC has snowy or icy levels, but the only cold enemy is lemguin in DKC3. I'm not sure what kind of animal I should attempt. I was even maybe thinking of a cold buddy (I thought a caribou would make a good buddy and I was thinking "Bou" or "Carol Boo" would be a good name.. I like Bou better). Anyway, what would be a good animal baddy in a snowy climate? Fox, wolf, polar bear, killer bunny like in Monty Python and the Holy Grail?

What do you guys think I should try to make? I'll do some possible sketches after I get a few ideas. And your ideas don't even have to be enemies or for cold areas. I could try a buddy or something, too.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Re: Ideas for new enemies

Postby Tonberry2000 » July 16th, 2012, 12:37 am

New enemies depend on the theme, I think. DKC 2 was pirate themed, and 3 was technology themed, so the enemies came from that.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 30

Postby Gaz » July 16th, 2012, 2:01 am

A rabid squirrel called Rabacorn?
Gaz
Taster of Pork
Bananas received 47

Postby Phyreburnz » July 17th, 2012, 6:36 am

Actually... your idea gave me one of my own, Conker. The name you picked made me think of something else that might work, a raccoon called Rabicoon (like rabid+raccoon)... cute and nice looking raccoon from far away, but it gets all foamy and crazy when you get near it. I'll have to do some sketches.

I would like to try some more area-themed baddies. I think it would be interesting. I also noticed that there are no swimming Kremlings... I'll have to do something about that... You'd think that crocodile-like enemies would be able to swim!
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Tonberry2000 » July 17th, 2012, 7:01 am

It'd be funny if they had scuba tanks or something, haha.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 30

Postby Phyreburnz » July 17th, 2012, 7:10 am

My thoughts exactly! I was thinking of surface ones with snorkels, too (like for one of the dock levels or something).
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Gaz » July 20th, 2012, 8:42 am

Phyreburnz wrote:Actually... your idea gave me one of my own, Conker. The name you picked made me think of something else that might work, a raccoon called Rabicoon (like rabid+raccoon)... cute and nice looking raccoon from far away, but it gets all foamy and crazy when you get near it. I'll have to do some sketches.

I would like to try some more area-themed baddies. I think it would be interesting. I also noticed that there are no swimming Kremlings... I'll have to do something about that... You'd think that crocodile-like enemies would be able to swim!

You're welcome. I thought a rabid squirrel maniac would be awesome, but I like your idea too ;) .
Gaz
Taster of Pork
Bananas received 47

Postby CountryFan » July 25th, 2012, 1:04 pm

Phyreburnz wrote:Actually... your idea gave me one of my own, Conker. The name you picked made me think of something else that might work, a raccoon called Rabicoon (like rabid+raccoon)... cute and nice looking raccoon from far away, but it gets all foamy and crazy when you get near it. I'll have to do some sketches.

K. Lumsy can swim!

Also, Krusha can swim in DK64.
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 23

Postby Phyreburnz » July 27th, 2012, 4:09 am

Okay, so, I thought of two different possible Kremlings. I've started working on one of the two.

1). Snorkl - a surface-dwelling Kremling that can't swim very well. He has goggles, a snorkel, water wings, flippers, swim trunks, and *maybe* one of those inflatable things kids wear around their waist (if I do make one, I definitely want to make it look like an animal, but I'm not sure if I should make it a crocodile-looking thing or not).

2). Skooba - this Kremling is a better swimmer and a deep-sea diver. He will be sporting an oxygen tank, goggles, flippers, and possibly a wetsuit.

Here is the preview of Snorkl so far:
Spoiler!
snorkle preview.jpg
snorkle preview.jpg (92.56 KiB) Viewed 21098 times

I haven't gotten to the point of giving him a snorkel, because that has to be done at the end (for symmetry purposes). The snorkel will come from the front/side of his snout and go back by the goggles, rather than just stand straight up, because typically, they attach to the goggles in real life.

Also, I'm not quite sure if I should give them eyes or not. Should I just have the goggles and make it white looking, or should you be able to see the eyes underneath?
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Qyzbud » July 27th, 2012, 12:14 pm

Snorkl and Skooba are great ideas! It's pretty amazing that none of the DKC games had any aquatic Kremlings... I mean, they are based on primarily aquatic animals, so you would have expected at least one or two Kremling species to get their toes wet (and those submerged Klomps/Krunchas in Lockjaw's Locker, Clapper's Cavern, etc. don't count!)... I guess that's where Snorkl and Skooba come in!
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Phyreburnz » August 6th, 2012, 3:33 am

Sorry it's been so long! I've been so busy!

I just started up again with Snorkl. Here is what I have so far... I still need to think of some kind of animal head on the floaty doughnut around his waist. I'm thinking a ducky.

snorkle body.jpg
snorkle body.jpg (98.84 KiB) Viewed 21064 times

I know it looks a little bit funny with the doughnut around his waist, because, well 1, I had a hard time figuring out if I could make it separate from his body... and 2, I thought it might be funnier with it looking like he squeezed into a child-sized one, rather than adult-sized. I also have to make it more round.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Phyreburnz » August 7th, 2012, 10:20 am

I did end up adding a ducky head on the donut. Does anybody have any other suggestions for Snorkl? I still have to add his snorkel, of course. I'm thinking maybe swimming trunks.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Katastrophe Kong » August 7th, 2012, 2:38 pm

Phyreburnz wrote:Does anybody have any other suggestions for Snorkl?

As for the model: it looks great so far! I can't wait to see what the finished product looks like.

As for the textures: When the model is finished, I think you should make him a yellow Kremling to continue the legacy of silly little yellow Krems (Kutlass, Klank, Kopter ect.).
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 32

Postby Tonberry2000 » August 8th, 2012, 3:14 am

Love the duck idea, but maybe a Necky head would be funnier? I don't know if you'd be able to tell what it is when it's a sprite anyway. :P
One that could be interesting is a giant squid (The Krocken?) that wears a now-defeated Belcha (or Dumb Drum) on its head as a shell. It could be a boss.

EDIT: I did a sketch of how the boss could work. :P
Trailblazer
Bananas received 30

Postby Phyreburnz » August 8th, 2012, 9:48 am

Giant squid?!?!?! Anything squid-related is an automatic yes ;) you've found my weakness! I'm all over that crap! :D
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Return to DKC Projects/Fanworks