How does one make custom archetypes? Advice needed

Working on your own project related to the Donkey Kong Country series?
This forum is your place to discuss fangames, artwork, stories and so forth which are DKC relevant.

How does one make custom archetypes? Advice needed

Postby Phyreburnz » June 21st, 2012, 6:30 am

Okay, so I'm not sure where to look and who to ask, but I would really like to be able to create my own levels (and eventually get to the point of being able to take requests). I use Photoshop for all my sprite editing, but I'd have no idea where to begin or what to do to create a level archetype.

I kind of started working on one, but it's just editing a preexisting level from Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. A (long) while back, I suggested a level inside of a giant clock, so I figured that would be a good place to start. So I took the level that existed, moved some stuff around and made things bigger (because Alucard is significantly smaller than DK).

Eventually, I'd love to be able to recreate the DKL level styles of the cloud and cities as close to the original style as possible.

If anyone has any suggestions for me on how to get started and what to do, I'd be very appreciative!
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Re: How to make custom levels

Postby Qyzbud » June 21st, 2012, 12:34 pm

When I saw the title of this topic, I was expecting to find a guide/tutorial from you. :lol: Perhaps the title should be changed to prevent confusion, some suggestions:
Spoiler!
'How does one create custom levels?' ← this would be good if you were just wanting to make a new level with a pre-existing archetype, or:
'How does one design a new level archetype?' (or simply 'Designing a new level archetype?') is more what you're asking, I think.

It's a good idea to phrase the topic as a question, as you are asking for advice rather than offering it. :)

A non-question alternative could be:
'Designing a new level archetype - advice needed' ← this would be my recommendation

This is just so that users know what to expect from the topic. What do you think?

Are you looking to just do visual design work, such as a Photoshop mock-up for an art piece, or are you thinking of designing for actual use in a ROM hack, Simion's DKCLB, another fangame project, etc?

I think it would be a wonderful challenge to design a new archetype, whether just as an art piece, or as something playable.
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Re: How does one make custom archetypes? Advice needed

Postby Phyreburnz » June 21st, 2012, 2:19 pm

Geez... I shoulda had it as a question in the first place! How did I let that happen?! :P Thanks!

My goal is to be able to design level archetypes that can be used in fangames and such. If you look at leocore's project, he has several archetypes that were created. I'd like to do similar things. I just don't know where to start or what to do!
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby leo_core » June 22nd, 2012, 1:52 pm

Phyreburnz, I'll be very happy if you can create new custom archetypes for our project. I'm always looking for talented people who can further enrich our fangame! This image reflects my thoughts (here is a saying that "unity is strength!"):
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 72

Postby Phyreburnz » June 23rd, 2012, 12:08 pm

I'd love to be able to make custom levels to help with your project, leocore, but I need to figure out how, first...

So... if anyone has any advice... help... :oops:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby leo_core » June 25th, 2012, 5:25 am

This is, as they say around here, "the stones path".

I do not have the talent to draw anything, so unfortunately can not give you any advice. The custom stages made ​​by me are charts that caught the internet and edited with Photoshop.

If you do not know how to draw, look for tilesets graphics on the internet and try to ride in Photoshop.
Here an example of tileset:
Spoiler!

Are you an expert in customizing sprites, you may be able to create stages using tilesets. ;)
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 72

Return to DKC Projects/Fanworks