Donkey Kong Island [fan game]

Working on your own project related to the Donkey Kong Country series?
This forum is your place to discuss fangames, artwork, stories and so forth which are DKC relevant.

Re: Donkey Kong Country: Kremling Chaos [fan game]

Postby sonosublime » January 8th, 2014, 1:00 pm

Pretty awesome GM skills there. I never even attempted 3D games - way beyond my expertise.

And those are some amazing renders. Any chance you could provide a link to Jonathan Dan's Deviantart page? I'm curious to see some of his other works.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 228

Postby Jeffrey_Bones » January 11th, 2014, 10:48 am

Cat O' 9 Tails (By Jeffrey Bones) Spinning and Dizzy animations

DKC2 Kruncha (By Jonathan Dan) Re-textured & animated

Here is Cat O' 9 Tails and Kruncha animated and ready to be put in game!!!!
(the cat didn't come out too bad, I'm proud)

DKC3 Kobble (By Jonathan Dan) Re-textured ready for animation
Trailblazer
Bananas received 104

Postby Phyreburnz » January 11th, 2014, 4:05 pm

Those are looking pretty good! I still wonder, though, if you'd still be interested in doing a little bit of reshaping for Cat. I still see a heck of a lot of Tails in him.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Super Luigi! » January 14th, 2014, 5:16 am

Kruncha looks like the muscle men in my neighborhood. (No Qyzbud, I'm not going to take and post pictures of them!) I really do love his animation, and I'd say you're doing a great job. By the way, those renders have me convinced you and Jonathan Dan are making a DKC Godzilla movie.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 301

Postby Jeffrey_Bones » January 14th, 2014, 10:52 am

New Vehicle gameplay sprites

Thanks for all the great feedback! Here are the vehicle sprites as they will appear in game of the kongs and kremlings. I made these with my models and Jonathan Dans' models rendering the frames directly out of 3DS Max. One of the reasons why I showed the Sonic Xtreme Returns video in an earlier post is that I knew once I saw Jonathans' vehicle models I wanted to do 3D vehicle levels. I remember playing DKC3 and wishing I could ride that hovercraft in a fast paced side scrolling level but that never came, all I got was to see Barron K Roolenstien riding on it in a cutscene at the end and of course control the thing on the map. With the previous 3D gameplay elements from Sonic Xtreme Returns I will be able to use these sprites to create a fast paced 3D level with the kongs avoiding kremlings who are riding in their boats. I think it will be a lot of fun! any ideas you guys may have for this feature I would appreciate greatly if you shared them as this gamelpay feature is an after thought that I have only recently started working it into the main game. Enjoy the sprites and I welcome any feedback :thumbs:

I also thought I would share what my map screens will look like. I noticed in the DKC4 project they are putting a lot of detail into the map screens. I don't really want to invest so much time into something as small as the map screen. It's a time waster. I do however want my map screens to look like something out of DKC2 but I do not have the artistic skill to pull off such amazing renders like DKC4 has. Here is what I have came up with below is an image of the world 1 map DK Isle the second world map will be Krocodile Isle and the third world map will be the Northern Kremisphere . The image you see in the map is Cyclones' render of DK Isle each level will be a red "X" and as you progress through the game dotted lines will connect the levels just like you would expect. I will also likely have an arrow to represent the player such as a you are here type arrow. This will keep me from having to make map sprites for all 3 kongs. I know it's pretty basic but I want to focus on the gameplay itself, I do hope I pulled off the look I was going for.....
ImageImageImage
Trailblazer
Bananas received 104

Postby sonosublime » January 17th, 2014, 4:15 pm

Whoa, those vehicle models are looking good. Also, great idea with the map screens. Having them as old school parchment really reinforces the pirate theme. Perhaps for the initial main map screen, you could show a mini cutscene beforehand of an unseen character approaching a table in a ship cabin, and then zoom in to the map.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 228

Postby sonosublime » January 19th, 2014, 1:00 am

Story as requested:

Spoiler!
The Calm Before the Storm

Chains rattled and propellers hummed as the ‘Flying Kroc’ – prized airship of the Kremlings – hovered in the air. The sea sparkled below it, penetrated by many lines of chains that hung from the mighty airship.

At the helm stood K. Rool, leader of the Kremlings, and mortal enemy of the Kong clan.

One of the crewmembers ran up to him. “Kaptain K. Rool! Our divers are reporting that the lines have made successful contact.”

“Very well,” his leader said. “Pull it up.”

On his command, the Flying Kroc ascended, and its chains creaked and went taut as they began to haul an immense load from the depths. The propellers of the airship whined and smoked in protest, and warning lights and buzzers began to blare all over the cockpit.

But Kaptain K. Rool was not one to be opposed. If he wanted something done, it was done, and with no consideration of the consequences. This was the entire reason he had his technicians improve the airship’s engines.

Surely enough, amidst a tidal wave, the peak of a colossal mountain emerged from the watery depths, followed soon by the remainder of his dark mockery of an island.

Crocodile Isle.

The Kremlings’ homeland.

K. Rool’s devilish laugh was heard by all his crewmen. The colossal chains were dropped into the sea in a maelstrom of foamy splashes, and the waves subsided as the island took its place upon the Seven Seas once more.

The pirate king turned to his servant. “At last, our island is once again ready to serve as the origin from which we will launch our conquest of the surrounding islands.” His face darkened as he recalled previous events which had led to the sinking of Crocodile Isle in the first place. “As for those mangy Kongs, this affront will not go unpunished.”

-

Donkey Kong swung through the trees, enjoying the feel of the tropical breeze on his face. The sun was shining, the birds were singing, and times were altogether great on DK Island. The mighty ape had decided to go one of his journeys to improve his strength and break out of his idleness.

“Just don’t go too far,” Wrinkly had said when he told her where he was going. “The jungle is dangerous.” Cranky’s good natured old wife was always worrying for the well-being of others on the island.

“Pah!” the elderly ape in question had snorted. “The boy needs this! Better than sitting around on the beach all day, drinking banana milkshakes!” He had then prodded DK’s belly with his cane. “Looking a bit fat there, kid!”

“Jeez, Cranky, that’s a low blow,” DK had muttered, but set out on his journey nonetheless, unaware of the danger at hand.

-

Birds twittered in the trees outside the window as Diddy and Dixie Kong sat in her tree-house, sipping on coconut juice. The evening breeze was drifting in from the ocean, and the sky was darkening quickly, with the first stars already beginning to twinkle.

Diddy sighed contentedly as he felt the wind blowing upon his face, ruffling his fur and cap. “I’ve always liked visiting your place,” he commented, gesturing to the darkening blue jewel of the ocean outside the window. “It has such a nice view of the beach.”

“Why do you think my sister and I chose to live here?” Dixie replied with a smile.

Neither of them heard the distant BOOM, but the whistling drew their attention, as did the explosion of gunpowder right outside!

“What was that?” Dixie screamed.

“Cannon fire!” Diddy yelled. He grabbed his friend and dragged her to the floor as another cannonball smashed right through the flimsy wooden walls of the hut, sending splinters flying in every direction.

The tree creaked and groaned horrendously as its roots were all but annihilated in the bombardment. The monkeys’ eyes widened in horror as the room tilted sideways. With a deafening CRASH, the entire tree was felled.

Just off the coast, a Kremling galleon approached the island. Its sails and flags were all black, and the largest sail bore a skull and crossbones. The intermittent flashes of cannons lit up the dark night sky as it blanketed the coastline of DK Island in cannon fire.

Very soon, however, the lights of torches could also be seen crossing the water. Several rowboats touched up against the shore and unloaded landing parties of bloodthirsty pirates, eager to wreak vengeance upon the Kongs.

-

DK turned back for home as soon as he heard the sound of cannons. He arrived amidst a scene of devastation – trees were felled, houses were toppled and the jungle burned around him.

“About time you got back here, you lazy bum!” Cranky snapped.

“What happened?” DK exclaimed as he took in his surroundings.

“Kremlings, that’s what. They came to attack us, and managed to capture Funky, Tiny, Candy and Wrinkly.”

“What!”

Cranky scowled. “My wife would never hurt a fly. Why they took her, I don’t know. Probably to get back at me.” There was a flicker of worry in the old ape’s eye. “You have to get her back.”

DK nodded in agreement. He was going to save all of his friends. He immediately set off to find Diddy and Dixie, hoping that he was not already too late...

In-game plot ideas (beware of spoilers):

Spoiler!
- DK reunites with Diddy and Dixie sometime after the first couple of levels.
- Rescue Tiny and Funky (on DK Island) to make use of his planes and vehicles to get to Crocodile Isle - to rescue Candy and Wrinkly.
- DK arrives too late to save Wrinkly. There could be a touching scene with Cranky and Wrinkly reuniting moments before she dies. Then, the final boss fight with Kaptain K. Rool occurs.
- The game’s ending scene would be back on DK Island, with DK and Cranky sitting alone on a rocky ledge, looking out at sea (similar to the ending scene of DKC2). Cranky feels a hand touch his shoulder and looks up to see Wrinkly’s ghost smiling down at him, before she disappears.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 228

Postby Jeffrey_Bones » January 19th, 2014, 11:02 am

Perfect story. I especially like the detail put into it, I can just picture eerything from the chains pulling the island up out of the water until my little boats crash upon shore releasing the kremling invasion! its perfect!!!!!
Trailblazer
Bananas received 104

Postby Super Luigi! » January 21st, 2014, 9:43 am

Indeed. It was brilliantly crafted, I needed to fetch my popcorn. Well done sonosublime. You've improved the quality of Jeffrey_Bones' game, even if such a concept is inconceivable.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 301

Postby Super Luigi! » January 23rd, 2014, 4:54 am

Such a concept is simply inconceivable, sonosublime. Your writing is brilliantly brilliant, therefore, we must pay our proper respects to your masterpiece.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 301

Postby Jeffrey_Bones » January 23rd, 2014, 1:39 pm

Ok folks so I thought I would go ahead and share the roster of bad guys that will be in my game. The list is pretty much final due to the limitations of Game Maker. I wanted to do a lot more but this will be the final list. This list does not include baddies that will be riding vehicles as they are the same baddies on foot there is no need to rename them just because they are riding something
Spoiler!
----------------------
DKC baddies
----------------------
Kritter Klassic
Krusha
Klump
Klaptrap
Gnawty
Slippa
Zinger
Necky
Dumb Drum
Manky Kong
Clambo
Chomps
Kroctopuss

BOSSES:
Boss Dumb Drum
-----------------------
DKC2 baddies
-----------------------
Klomp
Kruncha
Flitter
Cat O'9 Tails
Shuri
Puftup
Kutlass
Kaboing
Klobber
Kannon
Kroc-Head

BOSSES:
KING ZING
KLEEVER
KAPTAIN K ROOL
------------------------
DKC 3 baddies
------------------------
Kobble
Kopter
Krumple

BOSSES:
KAOS
------------------------
DKC2 Style Originals
------------------------
Kalypso
Davy Bones

BOSSES:
MR. X
------------------------
DK64
------------------------
Flip Flap
------------------------
Others
------------------------
Kritter Goalie
Kritter Modern

BOSSES:
KLUDGE
Trailblazer
Bananas received 104

Postby Jeffrey_Bones » January 28th, 2014, 12:26 pm

Squawks by me: Jeffrey Bones
I took the DK64 Squawks model, changed the wings and tail feathers out for more realistic ones and animated his flight cycle frame by frame in 3DS Max. It's not as good as the one from Cyclone, but I think it's efficient :thumbs:
Trailblazer
Bananas received 104

Postby Jeffrey_Bones » January 30th, 2014, 5:08 pm

Playing around with Jonathan Dan's Kaptain K Rool. Re-textured for maximum visual appeal for Donkey Kong Country: Kremling Chaos!!!! The final boss of my game will use his blunderbuss and sword to battle the Kongs!
Trailblazer
Bananas received 104

Postby Cyclone » January 31st, 2014, 8:42 am

I see the cross bones texture on the hat would you be able to post the full size version. I'm hoping its crystal clear. I need it to display good at 1920x1080 resolution. thanks. and keep up the progress. :thumbs:
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 559

Postby Jeffrey_Bones » February 2nd, 2014, 2:25 pm

I am currently preparing a playable demo for all to enjoy. demo will feature 2 levels Swordfish Shore and Frosty Forest
Trailblazer
Bananas received 104

Postby Jeffrey_Bones » February 3rd, 2014, 5:29 am

A little video preview of the W.I.P. on Frosty Forest
Trailblazer
Bananas received 104

Postby sonosublime » February 3rd, 2014, 12:27 pm

Looking good, although you may want to add some idle and riding animations for the Kongs when they are riding animal buddies. Also, scrolling the HUD off-screen would be a nice throwback to the SNES games.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 228

Postby Jeffrey_Bones » February 3rd, 2014, 2:09 pm

Actually the idle animation is already done but I was leaving it out to save space for the demo. The riding animations however I have yet to do....... Not sure how to make the HUD scroll off screen...... anybody have any ideas?
Trailblazer
Bananas received 104

Postby sonosublime » February 3rd, 2014, 4:25 pm

Having the HUD become visible when you collect an item is pretty simple. If you're using GM, I would have a separate object for each HUD (eg. obj_hud_banana, obj_hud_life, etc). Each one starts off invisible. Then, when you collect the corresponding item, set the corresponding HUD as visible, and also set an alarm to turn visibility off after x amount of seconds.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 228

Postby Jeffrey_Bones » February 14th, 2014, 11:15 am

I added the rambi charge and little small details, such as footprints in the snow and a snow scatter effect when jumping. What do you guys think? Just to let you know the large ice blocks will be breakable. this will be in the next video :)
Trailblazer
Bananas received 104

Postby LightOfEon » June 12th, 2014, 7:33 am

May I suggest that you change the "Chaos" in the title to "Khaos" to keep on with the trend of using the letter "K"?
Newcomer

Postby Jeffrey_Bones » June 17th, 2014, 12:46 pm

Jade Gully from my sonic Xtreme fan game converted into Jungle Hijinks. I'm going in another direction with the project. It will be a 3d "bash the baddies" style arena game. Here is the first arena w.i.p.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 104

Postby the_kong_br » June 23rd, 2014, 4:44 am

Jeffrey_Bones wrote:Introducing Jonathan Dan from Deviant art

I have been talking with Jonathan Dan from Deviant art about using some of his models in my project. He has already been very generous and sent me 3 models. Kiddy Kong, Klump and his version of Krusha. The other models of his I am trying to use are Kruncha, Klobber, Krumple, Kannon, Kutlass, Banana bird, Banana Bird Queen, KAOS, The hovercraft from DKC3, the Skull cart and several Krazy Kremland props. This is starting to come together really well. I think this collaboration will work out nicely. :)
**mod deleted quote**

is getting perfect!
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 12

Postby sonosublime » July 10th, 2014, 12:48 pm

If you're going to make a game 3D, I think you should go the whole nine yards and make the camera 3D too. There's something really limiting about the camera setup the way it is.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 228

Postby MatiZ » July 11th, 2014, 2:21 am

I like the camera how works. I suggest you to slow down the DK a bit, because he runs too fast. Have you wondered about the introduction of additional floors, stairs? Check this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzvS_beXtXk
[EDIT] Oh, I didn't know you know Sonic Xtreme :D
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 85

Postby Jeffrey_Bones » July 11th, 2014, 10:46 am

LOL yeah I was making a sonic xtreme fangame but changed it into this, so yeah I've seen all the sonic xtreme videos even some with Knuckles in it. My original goal was to recreate the canceled game until I realized there was never really too much of a game to begin with. There's not ANY real gameplay in those videos no concept of an actual game. It all seemed automated and linear and hard to even make a game out of so decided to switch my efforts to Donkey Kong Country, something I love and know very well. And the gameplay will be very simple in this each arena will have a set number of Kremlings, there will be an icon for how many left. You will have to kill all the Kremlings to clear the arena and move to the next. You will do so by collecting random "donkey Kong Themed" powerups, (a system similar to mario kart) some enemies will require certain powerups to be killed and some will require interacting with objects within the level to keep it interesting. Anybody have any ideas for what I can put the random items in? I was thinking a ? barrel or a ? crate similar to the animal buddy crates. or both. The game will feature animal buddies and barrels to be thrown as projectiles so I'm thinking maybe do something else to contain the items? I'm not sure exactly how I want to do it. IDEAS ANYONE?
Trailblazer
Bananas received 104

Postby sonosublime » July 11th, 2014, 1:22 pm

I guess this means the original game idea is gone then? Including the story I spent so many hours minutes on? :lol:

As for power ups, maybe make it into a beat-em up game, where you can pick up barrels, bats, blunt objects to clobber your enemies with. They can do the same to you, of course.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 228

Postby Jeffrey_Bones » July 11th, 2014, 2:01 pm

no absolutely not! the original story will remain the same. I'm just changing the gameplay
Trailblazer
Bananas received 104

Previous

Return to DKC Projects/Fanworks