Donkey Kong Island [fan game]

Working on your own project related to the Donkey Kong Country series?
This forum is your place to discuss fangames, artwork, stories and so forth which are DKC relevant.

Donkey Kong Island [fan game]

Postby Jeffrey_Bones » January 18th, 2012, 1:13 pm

Welcome to the Donkey Kong Country: Kremling Chaos fan game thread. This project started over a year ago as a fan game based on the nintendo Game Boy games series Donkey Kong Land. It's concept tittle was Donkey Kong Land Returns. It has in recent months evolved into something bigger and better. My goal for this fan game is to create a unique Donkey Kong Country experience that rivals the classic DKC games but offers a visual style similar to the newer DKCR and DKCTF games by retro studios. The biggest factor in this game will be the return of the Kremlings, many fans want this but it doesn't seem to be happening in the new series. When I say there will be Kremlings I mean there will be a ton of Kremlings! Old favorites as well as completely new species of Kremlings such as Krawler an overweight Kremling that can no longer walk upright due to it's massive size will sit waiting for the Kongs and then crawl at the speed of a Krimp making for a very large fast moving obstacle! It has two cousins who are colored differently (in the style of the old DKC baddies) Klimber who climbs up and down walls presenting a vertical version of this huge baddie and Kaput who will just remain Idle but in very challenging spots throughout the levels making for a kong sized headache when trying to navigate through the levels players will need to figure out how to get around this big oof. This is just one example of the new breed of Kremlings and there will be many more! Also there will be returning animal BADDIES that were rarely seen in the previous DKC games such as Manky Kong, Cat O' 9 Tails and Screech. These guys will be rendered from all new 3D models! Another example of new baddies will include the new Kremlings created by Paon, Kludge, Kip, Kass and Kalypso will all make apearances as baddies in the game. Kalypso will fall from the sky hurting the Kongs from above as she floats in on a 1-UP balloon. If players can successfully take her out before she floats off screen they will be rewarded with her 1-UP! please stay tuned to this topic for any updates on the project. It's release date will be November 2013 (I hope) Thanks to all in advance for any input/advice

SCREENSHOTS

Trailblazer
Bananas received 104

Re: DONKEY KONG LAND RETURNS FAN GAME

Postby Super Luigi! » January 18th, 2012, 3:01 pm

This looks like a pretty interesting game. I especially like how some parts of the background just pop out like a pop-up book.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 301

Postby Jeffrey_Bones » January 19th, 2012, 9:13 am

Although this game will be a remake of Donkey Kong Land for the GB I can't get this image/idea out of my head about a snow level, a long cliff that goes downward all the way to the end of the level and DK riding on the back of Clapper the seal (like a sled), jumping over obstacles baddies and sudden drop offs. I also have this image of the player pressing the jump key to avoid these things and Clapper the seal doing his clap and blow animation for his jump. I think I am going to do this level and call it Clappers' Cliff, Thoughts anyone?

Edit---- Think mine-cart style level but no track, it's on snow and it goes downhill all the way.....
Trailblazer
Bananas received 104

Postby Super Luigi! » January 19th, 2012, 3:42 pm

Well, it is an original idea, and I'd like to see how it plays out. Maybe you could have that level be a secret unlockable that we don't have to play to beat the game. So, you have my vote for the level, but do what you want.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 301

Postby aperson98 » January 20th, 2012, 5:12 am

It looks good so far you may want to either change the baddies to use DKC sprites or change DK's sprites to Jungle climbers because I find that the sprites kinda clash at this point due to different art styles.
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 3

Postby Jeffrey_Bones » September 5th, 2012, 3:14 pm

Aperson, You were absolutely right, I have swapped out the JC graphics with some really good SNES Sprites and it looks absolutely amazing. I'm doing some tinkering around with gameplay at the moment but will be uploading new video and screenshots very soon. :thumbs: I have decided that the two main playable characters will be Donkey Kong and CRANKY KONG! There will also be side levels similar to the mine cart levels where you will play as Funky in his plane. :funky: If all goes as planned I will even have a playable demo up soon.... Stay tuned
Trailblazer
Bananas received 104

Re: Donkey Kong Land Returns [fan game]

Postby leo_core » September 6th, 2012, 12:56 pm

CRANKY KONG Playable??? hahahaha, cool!!! I'm anxious to see it, very creative!
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 72

Postby Jeffrey_Bones » September 8th, 2012, 1:38 am

:nicework: September 2012 update

Let me know what you think!
Trailblazer
Bananas received 104

Postby leo_core » September 8th, 2012, 7:56 am

Very interesting and great differential graphic style! Any date for a playable demo?
Keep up the good work! :thumbs:
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 72

Postby Jeffrey_Bones » September 9th, 2012, 3:40 am

It's too early now to set a date. I still have a lot of work to do and a lot of glitches to fix. Hopefully I will have a demo ready before October. Thanks for the feedback!
Trailblazer
Bananas received 104

Postby Jeffrey_Bones » September 23rd, 2012, 4:57 pm

Here's another small update, this is another area of the game I'm working on, LOOK AT THE TREES :D I'm starting to really enjoy working on this :thumbs:

EDIT------> this level is actually going to be very interesting when complete it will have vine swinging, Rambi, barrel cannons and moving platforms. I'm going to cram a lot into this area of the game this video is just a very early look at the level so far. I just wanted to show off those trees!!! :)
Trailblazer
Bananas received 104

Postby Katastrophe Kong » September 23rd, 2012, 5:37 pm

AWESOME game you got going here, Jeff!

And you say Cranky Kong is going to be a playable character? Yeah, this game is going to freakin' epic.
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 32

Postby Jeffrey_Bones » September 23rd, 2012, 5:55 pm

Yes. Actually the game will have 4 playable kongs. The 3 main ones will be DK, Diddy and Cranky. DK and Diddy will be inside the classic DK barrels scattered throughout the levels and Cranky will be in a custom barrel with his face on it I am working on.
In addition you will be able to play as Funky in side scrolling biplane levels which will be similar to the mine cart levels. I wasn't going to include Diddy but I found reasons to......
I am also requesting anyone who is good at custom sprites to turn the armadillo sprite from DKC into the armadillo boss from DK64 for this project. I will give credit.... thanks in advance
Trailblazer
Bananas received 104

Postby Katastrophe Kong » September 23rd, 2012, 7:36 pm

I know it's probably not what you're looking for, but I found this sprite sheet a while ago. It's pretty amateur in some frames, but overall I think it's nice.

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs40/f/2009/ ... yvader.png
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 32

Postby Jeffrey_Bones » September 23rd, 2012, 11:01 pm

Actually that's perfect. I just have to change the fire and effects sprites to something more realistic looking. Thanks
Trailblazer
Bananas received 104

Postby Super Luigi! » September 24th, 2012, 2:20 pm

"That's it? That's the lost episode? That was just a bunch of cheap walk cycles!"

:banana: for anyone who knows the reference! But let me be serious here, I do like how your game looks like some of my dreams and how DK was forming a Zinger army.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 301

Postby Jeffrey_Bones » September 24th, 2012, 5:07 pm

Clerks 2? Where Randel is talking about Lord of the Rings?
Trailblazer
Bananas received 104

Postby Super Luigi! » September 25th, 2012, 1:28 pm

As promised, here's your banana!
banana2.jpg
banana2.jpg (15.48 KiB) Viewed 95539 times

Hey, I don't lie about these type of things!
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 301

Postby Jeffrey_Bones » September 25th, 2012, 1:33 pm

Wait? was it Clerks 2 or SpongeBob????? I'm confused

EDIT-----> Never mind I think I know now it was SpongeBob
Trailblazer
Bananas received 104

Postby Katastrophe Kong » September 25th, 2012, 3:57 pm

Awesome! I've always wanted Siddhartha Gautama to feed me bananas while sitting on one.
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 32

Postby Super Luigi! » September 26th, 2012, 3:17 pm

Well Katastrophe Kong, "When the student is ready, the teacher appears." This time, however, it's to give you bananas.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 301

Postby Phyreburnz » September 27th, 2012, 2:04 pm

While that quote has been used many times before, it was said in Lion King 1 1/2. :P
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Super Luigi! » September 27th, 2012, 2:52 pm

We should just rename this the refrence topic. Are you asking for a banana as well, Phyreburnz? Because "there's no flies on you!" So anyway, do you have any updates for us on your project, Jeffrey_Bones?
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 301

Postby Jeffrey_Bones » June 26th, 2013, 4:04 pm

Allright folks, Here's the new logo for the project and there has been a name change! I am currently reworking everything! This will be a fangame based off of Donkey Kong Country Returns and the classic DKC SNES games. It will feature all new sprites! nothing from the SNES days will be used. I am currently making sprites out of Cyclones' 3d model animations for this project. I will release these sheets to everybody but for now I have to clean them up a bit! The release date for this Fan Game will be November 2013. :) I will update again soon with more than just a logo update!
Trailblazer
Bananas received 104

Postby leo_core » June 27th, 2013, 2:49 am

WOW! This logo was great!
I hope you will return soon to continue this project, is something really different... quite innovative in terms of fan games.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 72

Postby Markster » June 27th, 2013, 4:36 am

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=1545

I took a simular name back a few months ago, Donkey Kong Country Kremling Kaos.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 37

Postby Jeffrey_Bones » June 27th, 2013, 6:11 am

Markster..... I just saw that...... I promise I didn't even know you had chosen that name. Well at least your name is spelled like the boss name Kaos to differentiate the two games.... I came up with Kremling Chaos because I want the game to be focused on Kremlings returning and I want too make the style similar to DKC Returns. So I chose a subtitle (like retro did with tropical freeze) I knew that would have the word Kremling in it, and the only word that came to mind after was chaos.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 104

Postby Markster » June 27th, 2013, 7:10 am

Similar names or not, I think your fangame will turn out great.

Sadly my development is slow, like DKCLB/DELTA.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 37

Postby Jeffrey_Bones » June 27th, 2013, 9:34 am

here is a small update of what's going on with the project right now... I'm currently redoing all sprites with the help of Cyclones models and Brawl hacks. I have Kaptain K Rool complete Cyclones animated palm tree, The Brawl Kritter (which might be getting retextured tonite) And am I currently working out DK'S animations. It's hard work but in the end I hope it will be worth it.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 104

Postby Markster » June 27th, 2013, 9:37 am

Looks great, Cyclone done a great job at those 3D models.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 37

Postby Jeffrey_Bones » June 27th, 2013, 10:51 am

DK's Brawl Walk Cycle 22 frames
Kritter's Brawl Walk Cycle 42 frames! (Will be retextured!)
Kaptain K Rool Brawl walk Cycle 32 frames
Animated Palm Tree by Cyclone 38 frames and flawless!
Gnawty by Cyclone Need your help Cyclone please!!!!!

Now with the cyclone conversions I'm trying to get Cyclones help by him uploading new videos of Gnawty, slippa and Zinger with a black background as opposed to a white one. With the Gnawty as you can see I'm having trouble removing the image because the white background is flush with his eyes the same problem occurred with the white markings on slippa and the jungle background makes the Zinger rip nearly impossible. The palm Tree was flawless because it used a black background just like my Dolphin emulator with Brawl and those characters. Cyclone your work is amazing please help!
Trailblazer
Bananas received 104

Re: DKC 3D Modeling/Animation Project

Postby Qyzbud » June 27th, 2013, 11:43 pm

Jeffrey_Bones wrote:[...]as you can see I'm having trouble removing the image because the white background is flush with his eyes[...]

Unless the Gnawty's nose and pupils are not quite black, a similar problem will probably occur with a black background; It'd really make a lot more sense for Cyclone to export alpha-masked frames for you to work with. :geek:

Also, I know I'm probably nitpicking here... but the palm tree frames have a noticeable aliasing/ugly-edging issue; perhaps they would look fine on a dark background, but in other situations, the term 'flawless' might be a misnomer. Again, I'd highly recommend using alpha-masked frames exported directly from 3DS Max. :ugeek:
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Jeffrey_Bones » June 28th, 2013, 4:35 am

Qyzbud wrote:
Jeffrey_Bones wrote:[...]as you can see I'm having trouble removing the image because the white background is flush with his eyes[...]

Unless the Gnawty's nose and pupils are not quite black, a similar problem will probably occur with a black background; It'd really make a lot more sense for Cyclone to export alpha-masked frames for you to work with. :geek: :

Actually no. The program I'm using will automatically remove the black background from each frame leaving the other black parts intact, but any other color background I have to remove it myself and that's the issue I ran into with Gnawty's eyes
Trailblazer
Bananas received 104

Postby Qyzbud » June 28th, 2013, 8:38 pm

Sounds good, but I wonder how it can accurately and reliably differentiate one pure-black pixel from the next... :scratch:
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Jeffrey_Bones » June 28th, 2013, 9:25 pm

Well it can't. If the same color black pixel is on the edge of lets say Gnawty's pupil it will erase that color as well and then I will have to replace those black pixels, HOWEVER 99.9% of the time I have done this no black pixels on the edge of the sprites are ever PURE black they are almost always a slight shade lighter..... But if there is a black pixel on the edge of an image it will be much easier to manually replace those few black pixels (you can bet if one exists at the edge of the image the next couple over will be a shade lighter) As opposed to the white. You see for some reason when it comes to white the software seems to just make the majority of the white pixels all pure white even if they are darker shades. That Gnawty actually has several shades of white in that eyeball but it was detected as PURE white for all pixels. Weird to say the least. I think with the Slippa I can actually restore the image, but there's another problem with that, there are not enough frames of him slithering before he scrolls off screen so I can't get a complete slither cycle.....
AGAIN THE ZINGER IS IMPOSSIBLE I just cant extract the image from that jungle background :( (my favorite baddie too)
Trailblazer
Bananas received 104

Re: Donkey Kong Country: Kremling Chaos [fan game]

Postby Qyzbud » June 28th, 2013, 9:58 pm

I've encountered just about all of the issues you've mentioned during one project or another, so I feel your pain! Of course, the beauty of the situation now is that we actually have contact with the creator of the graphics (Cyclone), and he is able to help us out without too much trouble.

Seriously, it'd be a considerable waste of time and effort (and potential quality) for you to process Cyclone's less-usable animations when it's right at his fingertips to export something perfect for you... is it because you like a challenge — or maybe you don't want to trouble him? I understand both of these mindsets well, but if you want a truly high-quality result, there's really only one good option here! :P
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Jeffrey_Bones » June 29th, 2013, 3:57 am

yeah you are right I don't want to bother the guy.
IN OTHER NEWS:
Gnawty on a Wheel by Cyclone
My Custom Krusha Smash Bros Brawl
Dodo bird thing from DKCR

I am having a fun time working on this! The new engine is working out well too. I hope to have a video up soon showing off some of these sprites in game in the new engine. :)
Trailblazer
Bananas received 104

Postby Simion32 » June 29th, 2013, 4:01 am

You're using Game Maker correct? The transparent color is the bottom left pixel's color isn't it?

Unfortunately the way to fix this without the graphics looking bad is complicated - render on a nearly-black background (a very specific color), remove only that color, and then replace with magic pink or something suitable.

EDIT: Or, render transparent and select only fully transparent pixels, make those Magic Pink, and then put a fully black layer under it.

I'm not sure if the newer GM versions support alpha sprites. I can't remember.

EDIT 2: You won't be able to fix your problems without some image editing software. Try Paint.NET along with the second method mentioned above.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Markster » June 29th, 2013, 5:52 am

Game Maker started using alpha sprites in version 8.

Spoiler!
8.0 is my favorite version, because the lite version doesn't plaster watermarks on the .exe files, it has a better level editor, and you can protect your games with an anti-decompiler.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 37

Postby Jeffrey_Bones » June 29th, 2013, 7:57 am

Simian32, This is Game Maker 8.1 and I'm actually using Multimedia Fusion 1.5 AVI to Bitmap plug in. I'm using Fraps to capture video of onscreen animation then importing into MMF 1.5 then expoting bitmaps which by the time I import those into GM 8.1 The black is already gone :)

IGNORE THE BIRD THING FROM DKCR I am actually just editing out the background on him because there is no option to use a solid black or solid color background
Trailblazer
Bananas received 104

Postby Qyzbud » June 29th, 2013, 1:13 pm

Jeffrey_Bones wrote:IGNORE THE BIRD THING FROM DKCR I am actually just editing out the background on him because there is no option to use a solid black or solid color background

Actually, I believe I could find a much easier and more elegant solution for you — I'll let you know how it goes. :geek:
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Cyclone » June 29th, 2013, 1:40 pm

I think you should use transparent backgrounds. I can render them with alpha channels and pngs. I would much rather you use my work to the best quality possible.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 559

Postby Jeffrey_Bones » June 29th, 2013, 2:29 pm

Allrighty then, let's do this! Let's crack this barrel of monkeys open!
Trailblazer
Bananas received 104

Postby Jeffrey_Bones » June 30th, 2013, 7:52 am

I have decided what characters are going to be playable and how you will switch between kongs!
Spoiler!
Donkey Kong- Will be a power based character in which to smash things and break things he can also swim
Diddy Kong- Will have his trademark cartwheel and penut popguns! (which you will have to collect amo for!)
Dixe Kong- Will have her trademark ponytail for reaching hard to reach platforms
Funky Kong- Another power based character among smashing things and swimming he will be able to surf!
Lanky Kong- Will stretch his arms to defeat certain enemies and reach certain things, also will inflate his self in certain situations
Tiny Kong- will have the ability to shrink to access hidden areas
SECRET CHARACTER- will have to be unlocked with a code which you will find hidden in a level, can play all areas
I have decided to create a DK transformation Barrel similar to that in DK 64 but you won't get to chose your kong they will be placed in specific areas where you need that certain Kong it will be an open top barrel similar to the animal buddies barrels in DKC2

I have also decided on a number of animal buddies that will make it into this game
Spoiler!
Rambi
Expresso
Engaurde
Sqwuaks
Squitter
Orca
Giraffe In A Box
Ellie will also make a cameo however you won't get to interact with her as she will be a NPC
Trailblazer
Bananas received 104

Postby CountryFan » June 30th, 2013, 3:26 pm

That bird is called an Awk.

Also, MAKE SURE TINY HAS HER ORIGINAL APPEARANCE.
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 23

Postby Jeffrey_Bones » July 1st, 2013, 11:47 am

OH WOW GUYS I HAVE A SURPRISE!!!! I just downloaded and am currently playing Mario GP2 and there is a whole cup based on Donkey Kong and the DKC Series. There is a level with a 3D model of Expresso running around and I have dumped all textures which means I can re texture Expresso with his Brawl counterpart textures then re texture the area around him all black and then rip him with FRAPS!!! There is also a ton of other things from the DKC universe in this game! It's actually very fun!!!! I also downloaded Mario GP 1 but haven't tried it out yet. There is a temple in this game with textures that resemble the temple from the DKC cartoon show! This is really a nice find!!!!! I may open a seperate topic just on this game alone! (As well as download links if anybody is interested)
So far I have spotted Rambi, Squawks and Expresso all in one level. I hope there are some Kremlings too like Klump :)
Trailblazer
Bananas received 104

Postby Qyzbud » July 1st, 2013, 12:30 pm

Ah, I never knew about the Donkey Kong Country fanservice in the Mario Kart arcade games — very cool!

That definitely deserves its own topic, so be my guest if you want to start one. :funky:

Don't post any download links, though; I'll look into the legal issues surrounding arcade ROMs, and will consider adding links later if it seems okay to do so... but I have a feeling it won't be a good idea.
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Jeffrey_Bones » July 2nd, 2013, 6:49 pm

after an hour and forty five minutes of pain I have the first frame of cyclones Zinger...... without Cyclone's help this is going to take forever..... well only 31 more frames to go for a complete cycle....
Trailblazer
Bananas received 104

Next

Return to DKC Projects/Fanworks