Donkey Kong Country 4: The Kongs Return

Working on your own project related to the Donkey Kong Country series?
This forum is your place to discuss fangames, artwork, stories and so forth which are DKC relevant.

Re: Donkey Kong Country 4: The Kongs Return

Postby spaceman2028 » April 15th, 2015, 2:06 pm

That music = 2LOUD4ME

But still, fantastic job DH Keizer(that's you on soundcloud)! I might wind up using your music if I myself make a fan game...

EDIT: I might have to listen to the DKC character themes a bit more on this one, but the only character specific theme i can recognize in that music track for the castle levels are just bits and pieces from the DKC2 Bonus round music. Diddy's theme?
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 26

Postby spaceman2028 » April 24th, 2015, 12:42 am

I'm sorry for the double post, but what exactly happened to the updates?
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 26

Postby Phyreburnz » April 24th, 2015, 2:45 am

Hiperkalango has been really busy and only recently got back to working on the game. Sorry for the delays, but it happens when there are only two programmers... :|
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Phyreburnz » April 27th, 2015, 1:46 am

Sorry for the double post, but I was wondering if anybody was interested in making music for the end level target for DK and Kiddy using the DKC sounds.

Just in case anybody forgot, here are the animations. DK is on a bass and Kiddy is on drums:

Image Image

I figured I'd give a little bit of an update. We're working on enemy positions for the demo right now. I'm putting in some suggestions for the levels and then Hyperkalango is putting them into the engine.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Samuel Buechele » May 3rd, 2015, 11:07 pm

In a few weeks I have time
again. I will try making music for Donkey and Kiddy.
Tourist
Bananas received 10

Postby DKBros27568 » May 10th, 2015, 8:44 am

(last update on the 23th May 2015 :gift: )

Hey guys.
I have made a Downloadlink of 28 Donkey Kong Country fanmade soundtracks & 11 DKC Soundfont Remixes
FROM THE COMPOSERS HERE on DKC atlas, soundcloud and from YouTube!

If anyone of the composers here on DKC atlas doesn't want to see a free public downloadlink to their work, then he must say it!
I will remove them immediately, ok!? (And yes, my english is bad)!

The Downloadlink is here:
https://mega.co.nz/#F!nJ03RKhZ!8cgohtr0-xak_O1JJ58xWw

And the composers (& DKC soundfont remixers) are:

-Dominic Ninmark
-MatiZ
-Rux Ton
-Bluetronic
-DH Keizer / thetoad11
-CGT Music
-Samuel Buechele
-Harumi Makoto
-xXchainchomp01
-TheAvengerButton
-Pikachu4352
-TheLegendOfRenegade
-PIKAX360Mixer .
Tourist
Bananas received 4

Postby thetoad11 » May 11th, 2015, 6:34 am

So I gave a try at DK's victory fanfare, and came up with something quick and light and jazzy for him, mostly because that's what I think of when I think of the bass anyway. It was kinda tough to make the bass into the main instrument of the piece, and even harder to make it seem like he was really shredding or whatever on it, but it's a nice short jazzy tune that I think will capture a sweet calm victory quite nicely. Nothing says victory quite like a calming number that doesn't cause you to even break a sweat.

Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 50

Postby MatiZ » May 11th, 2015, 7:52 pm

Thank you, DKBros, for mentioning me :)
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 85

Postby thetoad11 » May 12th, 2015, 12:32 pm

I'm just gonna keep randomly submitting themes on the off chance that you need them. Atmospheric mine theme, might be aquatic, might be icy, might just be mine like. Enjoy

DKC Samples Version:

Modernized Version:
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 50

Postby spaceman2028 » May 14th, 2015, 9:38 am

I just learned a few seconds ago that by moving the location line(the line that marks where you are in the music track) while a song is playing will speed up and/or slightly reverse the song. Hilarity ensues.

Anyways great job on this one! I was kind disappointed in your last atmospheric track because it was TOO atmospheric, having very little sound within it at the very start. But this one sounds much better than that. In fact, the DKC soundfont version sounds slightly better than the modern one, because the sounds you used for the DKC only sound font are perfectly fine without other sound fonts mixed in.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 26

Postby CatLoverMolly » May 18th, 2015, 11:09 am

Here's a couple tracks from mua.
https://soundcloud.com/telara-1/tribal-beat
https://soundcloud.com/telara-1/noir
I really haven't a clue where the tribal-like theme could go, but the track titled Noir, in my opinion, would be so amazing in a jungle or ruins level, one with heavy rain and a night motif.
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 100

Postby Phyreburnz » May 18th, 2015, 12:28 pm

Thetoad, as far as your latest theme goes... what do you think about this? And anybody else for that matter... I was thinking a mix of platform types where the icy ones are slippery and the wooden ones aren't.

Anyway, yes or no for this level idea? I'm not totally convinced one way or the other... perhaps suggestions?

icy mine concept.png
icy mine concept.png (133.87 KiB) Viewed 149946 times
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby thetoad11 » May 19th, 2015, 3:25 am

I love it. I didn't think I was going to inspire an idea for a new level with my song. I just thought I was supplying music for levels that were already in the works. It looks like an amazing concept, and I think it matches amazingly.
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 50

Postby leo_core » May 19th, 2015, 8:45 pm

Hello friends!!!
More than a year has passed! A lot has happened in my personal life, I separated from my wife and now I live alone and I'm back to the project with a new computer. We are meeting again, I HyperKalango and Necrotoad working hard. Soon good news! I am very glad to see that you guys move on with the discussions! :thumbs:
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 72

Postby thetoad11 » May 19th, 2015, 11:58 pm

I'm sorry to hear about that bad news, but I'm glad to hear that work on the project is continuing.

I've also completed a forest theme. It's more DKC2 enchanted forest than it is DKC1 forest in my opinion but I'm sure you could make it go either way, depending on how the level was structured.

DKC Samples Version:

Modernized Version:
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 50

Postby Ninni973 » May 20th, 2015, 2:16 am

thetoad11, you did an AMAZING forest theme. It sounds awesome. Can you, by any chance, compose a snow forest theme? I'd really appreciate that.
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 15

Postby Simion32 » May 20th, 2015, 1:45 pm

A dark and moody forest where almost all the light is blocked out from foliage. Could work well for that theme applied to a tropical rainforest as well!

Simply beautiful. :)
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 331

Postby sonosublime » May 20th, 2015, 11:04 pm

I love your forest and mine themes, thetoad11. Absolutely stunning, you have a real talent.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 228

Postby Samuel Buechele » May 21st, 2015, 2:23 am

Thetoad11, I really like your wood theme and it really reminds me of the DKC 2 wood theme. However, I think you are destroying the dynamics of your songs by pushing the limiter too hard and that's why they often sound a little 'flat' to me.
Tourist
Bananas received 10

Postby thetoad11 » May 21st, 2015, 5:47 am

I unfortunately don't have a lot of skill or knowledge in the sound mixing area. I understand the flatness you're speaking of, but I'm not quite sure what you mean about pushing to limiter too hard, and am even less sure about how to fix that. I'd appreciate tips.
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 50

Postby VideoViking » May 21st, 2015, 2:33 pm

Sound mixing is all about manipulating the highs and lows of audio channels by way of the equalizer. I use the equalizer to reduce the loudness of whatever songs I acquire so that it doesn't hurt my ears when I play it on my iPod Touch. I'm not an expert on audio mixing per say, but as someone who does podcasting on the side, it's very beneficial for when I do interviews or to moderate the sound levels of all the songs I play on my shows.

There are a couple websites that show you the ins and outs of the equalizer. Here's a tutorial on EQs and frequency: http://www.dak.com/reviews/tutorial_frequencies.cfm
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 41

Postby Samuel Buechele » May 21st, 2015, 3:00 pm

English is not my native language so it's a little hard for me to explain.
If your song is getting louder than 0db, the sound will be distorted. And the limiter is a tool which can be used to prevent this kind of distortion by "cutting" off all the signals that go above the 0db line (It can also be any other threshold). So a limiter is basically just a compressor with a very high ratio. By pushing the limiter too hard I mean that your limiter is cutting off too much of the transients. You can easily see this on soundcloud because your songs don't seem to have any peaks and the signal is just like a flat line. That means there is not much dynamic range in your songs. Maybe you are using the fruity limiter on your master channel without knowing. I think by lowering the overall loudness of your songs you should be fine. This way, there is more "distance" to the 0db border and the limiter doesn't have to work so much. Most of the EDM producers nowadays try to make their songs as loud as possible. That's why they are "pushing" the limiter really hard. But since the DKC tracks aren't going to be played in clubs I think there is no need to limit that much.
I hope I could help somehow. Like I said, I really like your songs :D
Tourist
Bananas received 10

Postby vege » May 29th, 2015, 3:31 am

Good idea Phyreburnz,
i think it needs platforms with movement (no static ), it would be challenging.

Another idea / sketch :
Attachments
cart1.jpg
crystals mine cart
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 49

Postby Phyreburnz » May 29th, 2015, 7:30 am

Wow, vege, that's a really cool idea! I love it :)

Also, Ninni973, if you're reading this, I sent a pm about your hive level. I have a couple of questions about your symbols. Also, the level itself is complete. I did change around the saturation and lightness. In photoshop it didn't look the same as the image you made, so I did my best to make it look good.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby vege » May 30th, 2015, 8:20 am

@Phyreburnz Thanks :)

Do you remember that figure ?
i discovered a software named Sculptris, so i am learning to make 3d models, hmm question for everybody:
Is there a database (web page) with 3d models about Donkey Kong ?
Attachments
67619-DonkeyKongCountry.jpg
kremlin temple
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 49

Postby doomero » May 30th, 2015, 12:29 pm

Hey Phyreburnz can you give me permission for use your Donkey Kong sprites (guitar animation) ?
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 77

Postby Phyreburnz » May 30th, 2015, 12:44 pm

No need to ask for permission, Doomero! :) Of course! Anybody can use any of my sprites or anything else, just as long as you give me credit for it.

Speaking of which, I hope you don't mind, for the last level I made, I did suggest using your ghost hook sprites. I gave you credit everywhere it appears. :nicework:

*EDIT* all the animations are right here!
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby doomero » May 30th, 2015, 12:50 pm

No problem! and thanks!! i am making another Donkey Kong Project, but the difference this can be played online with friends around the world.
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 77

Postby thetoad11 » May 31st, 2015, 1:57 am

I'm not a pro account holder on soundcloud... So I've run out of space, and can no longer upload songs to it. I'm very irritated by this fact, but I guess that's the life I live. From now on, I guess I'm pico song-ing it, unless you guys have a better suggestion.

So I made a generalized vehicle theme, a la hot pursuit, I hope. So if you guys needed a theme for the vehicle levels, I have one. Voila.

DKC version

Modernized Version
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 50

Postby vege » May 31st, 2015, 4:04 am

Hi, thetoad11 , it is a good song, you could try Mixcloud. https://www.mixcloud.com/upload/

Apparently you can to embed the player on forums (http://blog.mixcloud.com/tag/widget/ ), with unlimited uploads,
apps for android, etc.

---------

Guys, i did this head (inspired by the temple kremling) in 3d, it could be useful for some game, let me know what you think..
Attachments
krem 50px 7 frames.gif
7 frames kremling 50px
krem 50px 7 frames.gif (15.84 KiB) Viewed 149466 times
krem 7 frames gif.gif
slow 7 frames kremling
krem 7 frames gif.gif (723.87 KiB) Viewed 149466 times
kremling gif.gif
Kremling gif
kremling gif.gif (828.03 KiB) Viewed 149466 times
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 49

Postby Simion32 » May 31st, 2015, 12:19 pm

How about a 32-frame rotating one? Looks like a good collectible item to me.

32 frames would give room for making it more like DKC's bananas, but optionally with 4x the frames.

"Golden Kremjaws"

Ah, another nice idea there: An enemy called Kremjaw that acts similar to Lockjaw/Snapjaw but in a land level.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 331

Postby vege » June 1st, 2015, 4:42 am

Simion32 This one has another golden material and it is 30 frame, i think it looks more like DKC style:
Attachments
krem golden 45 x 60 30f.gif
golden kremling 45 x 60 30f
krem golden 45 x 60 30f.gif (59.83 KiB) Viewed 149399 times
krem golden 300 x 400 30f.gif
golden kremling 300 x 400 30f
krem golden 300 x 400 30f.gif (1.06 MiB) Viewed 149399 times
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 49

Postby Simion32 » June 1st, 2015, 11:25 am

I'd like one with the other material as well, please :)

EDIT: Your frames are off, you might need to redo the rotation. There's a large jump in rotation between the last frame and the first.

Another Problem:
Rotations for sprite animation like this must be 100% smooth, not a speed-up-then-slow-down type rotation. There's a speed difference in the frames shown above.

Also we need specifically 8, 16, or 32 frames. Bananas in DKC are 8 frame animations.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 331

Postby vege » June 1st, 2015, 2:04 pm

The first version is imperfect because i did that model with manual rotation in Sculptris (that golden material only is available on Sculptris).

On the other side, i did the second one again on Cinema 4d (i adjusted the axis of rotation), each frame represents 11,25 ° degrees of rotation ( 360 / 32 frames ), the speed is constant:
Attachments
golden krem 300 x 400 32f good v2.gif
front view v2
golden krem 300 x 400 32f good v2.gif (924.97 KiB) Viewed 149365 times
golden krem 300 x 400 32f good v1.gif
perspective v1
golden krem 300 x 400 32f good v1.gif (793.59 KiB) Viewed 149365 times
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 49

Postby Tonberry2000 » June 2nd, 2015, 1:35 am

Very cool! Do you plan to do more characters?
Trailblazer
Bananas received 30

Postby vege » June 2nd, 2015, 3:07 am

Yes, i am doing unusual models ( clapper, Bleak ) because the best known models (the kongs, some kremlings) already have multiple versions on the web.
Attachments
clapper demo 32f.gif
95 %
clapper demo 32f.gif (644.87 KiB) Viewed 149336 times
snow krem caves.jpg
for map ?
snow krem caves.jpg (59.92 KiB) Viewed 149336 times
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 49

Postby CatLoverMolly » June 2nd, 2015, 4:53 am

Wow Vege, you are really good at making those models!
Maybe you could help make the rest of the sprites for that Cheetah from a while back.
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 100

Postby doomero » June 3rd, 2015, 4:48 am

For some reason that gold crocodile head remember me the Jago´s stage from killer instinct....
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 77

Postby Simion32 » June 4th, 2015, 3:24 pm

You got the animation and everything correct, but a shame you don't have that other material available. :/

It would be really great if you could somehow get that shinier/realistic golden texture into C4D. :)
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 331

Postby Qyzbud » June 4th, 2015, 5:52 pm

vege wrote:Do you remember that figure?
Spoiler!

I... think I've seen it somewhere before. :)

Nice job on the modeling; it looks very close to the original design.

vege wrote:Is there a database (web page) with 3d models about Donkey Kong ?

This is perhaps the largest and most notable collection I know of: The Models Resource (Donkey Kong search result)
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby vege » June 9th, 2015, 8:25 am

Thanks Tomberry2000 / CatLoverMolly

@doomero :lol: Maybe because its color combination (i can to use a different combination but i like that :D), Killer instinct is my favorite fighting game ( :thumbs: ) and it is by Rare too, so it is nice comparison.

@Qyzbud Thanks for your link, it is a great database (it is useful for me), i like your avatar, it looks familiar for me :krool: :bunch-tf: .

@Simion 32 I managed to import that material in C4d but It does not look the same (i tweaked the settings, these programs work differently). I did some calculations and i used a few programs (with automatic rotation), this is result:
Attachments
golden krem 400x300 32f final.gif
constant speed (delay and rotation)
golden krem 400x300 32f final.gif (653.42 KiB) Viewed 149013 times
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 49

Postby vege » June 9th, 2015, 8:37 am

@CatLoverMolly I am doing a prototype (without textures), i am working on rigging (bonds -> animation ), if i learn how this process works (i am beginner), then I will make adjustments.
Attachments
sheetah prototype rigged.jpg
sheetah prototype
sheetah prototype rigged.jpg (116.49 KiB) Viewed 149012 times
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 49

Postby sonosublime » June 9th, 2015, 11:17 am

I really like those icy mine and crystal minecart stage concepts. This is really looking like a seamless combination of the 3 games and it looks amazing as heck.

Very impresive modelling, vege, as I told you before :)

And Qyzbud, thanks for that model search link. I found an awesome model of the Flying Kroc to use in my DKC2 series ^_^
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 228

Postby vege » June 11th, 2015, 3:16 am

Thanks Sonosublime, i appreciate your comments :) I do not know if they (Kalango) decide to use the crystal minecart concept, maybe they have other priorities/ideas, I would love to play that level simultaneously with Parry as in Stampede Sprint (Lost world of dkc3 ). :scratch:
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 49

Postby Magna » June 22nd, 2015, 10:13 am

Sorry I have been gone a while but is this still being worked on, and can someone give me a valid dload link please?
Tourist

Postby Markster » July 8th, 2015, 8:06 am

I think I might have the demo on my external HDD, it sucks that the links don't work. :dixiecry:
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 37

Postby hiperkalango » July 10th, 2015, 6:10 am

we need someone to do the Cheetah model :kiddysad:
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 88

Postby Cyclone » July 12th, 2015, 6:51 am

Great stuff. Can't wait for the next playable demo. :D
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 559