Donkey Kong Country 4: The Kongs Return

Working on your own project related to the Donkey Kong Country series?
This forum is your place to discuss fangames, artwork, stories and so forth which are DKC relevant.

Re: Donkey Kong Country 4: The Kongs Return

Postby ZillyZango » March 2nd, 2015, 7:49 am

Presenting an altered and hostile Winky: Bully Frog. :headache:

I don't know if you guys want to add him into Bullfrog Bog, or any other level, but if so, them I'll try to get a whole animation sheet set. I liked how there were frog enemies in Returns, and I wondered what would happen if I made a Retro-styled frog enemy with a punny name. What do you guys think? It totally needs a change in colour still, though.

Yes, I won't hide it: I used the sprites of other enemies to change Winky.
Tourist
Bananas received 5

Postby thetoad11 » March 3rd, 2015, 2:35 am

Okay, so all of my musical submissions have been made downloadable through soundcloud, so you can take your pick of song and download them right from the my soundcloud page.
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 50

Postby Cano'beans » March 3rd, 2015, 12:20 pm

Hi, I've been following your project for quite sometime, and I was wondering if I could contribute some concept art here?
Tourist
Bananas received 3

Postby thetoad11 » March 4th, 2015, 11:04 am

So I know it's not really a composition on my part, but instead a remastering, however I know that it was mentioned earlier that an upgraded version of the DKL Kremlantis theme would be nifty or enjoyed. I'm pretty sure you guys decided to use Samuel's theme for Kremlantis, however if there is more than one Kremlantis level, it could be cool to use the presented remastered works. I mean, since we're using my fusion of Mine Cart Madness and Mining Melancholy, we're not restricting ourselves to purely new and original music.

DKC Samples Version:

My Library Version:

Both versions are downloadable via soundcloud
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 50

Postby Phyreburnz » March 4th, 2015, 2:01 pm

Well, I have done two different Kremlantis levels already, so I think we should be able to use both songs! I'll let hiperkalango know! ^-^

I absolutely LOVE your rendition of this theme. I love the DKL music and it's so nice to hear maybe what it would have sounded like on the SNES!

Also, cano'beans, feel free to upload any contributions you'd like to make. This goes for anybody that would like to help out. Please keep in mind, though, that we may not use everybody's ideas :)
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby vege » March 4th, 2015, 2:05 pm

@thetoad11 Your song gives me a feeling of calm and peace, good work!

Maybe this post is a bit hidden viewtopic.php?f=53&p=40387#p40387 so, i upload my version of clouds here (it is based on the Banana Bird´s scene ).

The right cloud is a "bonding cloud" (it helps create loops or consecutive clouds).
Attachments
clouds2.jpg
example of possible sequences
clouds2.jpg (56.6 KiB) Viewed 139062 times
clouds1.jpg
left and right cloud.
clouds1.jpg (26.67 KiB) Viewed 139062 times
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 49

Postby leo_core » March 4th, 2015, 2:34 pm

Thanks for contributions, I will go comment on all calmly soon as I can...
I moved house recently (everything is still a mess) and I'm still tidying up the mess as soon as the house is in order I can back to levels edition :krool:
Spoiler!
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 72

Postby vege » March 4th, 2015, 2:51 pm

ok :)
your welcome, a pixelated example:
Attachments
clouds2 total pixelated.jpg
clouds2 total pixelated.jpg (50.88 KiB) Viewed 139053 times
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 49

Postby Cano'beans » March 5th, 2015, 12:58 am

Ah, thank you, Phyreburnz. I wanted to show of Korpse the grave digger kremling, he uses a shovel to attack the Kongs with. I'm drawing him right now as we speak. Until then, see you later.
Tourist
Bananas received 3

Postby Tonberry2000 » March 5th, 2015, 3:52 am

Hmm, I think the clouds blend too much into the background. I think they should be made more solid so they look like something the Kongs can walk on.

See how the clouds here are lighter in the foreground and more solid where Kirby can walk on them? Maybe like that.
Also, I like the idea that a sky world could change colors as the levels progress until the Kongs get to the boss stage that takes place at night.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 30

Postby Cano'beans » March 5th, 2015, 5:37 am

Here's a quick sneak peek. I've tried using paint.net, but the program doesn't want to cooperate with me, so decided to use MS paint instead.(I'm thinking of buying a new computer, it's extremely slow.)
So what do you think? :scratch:
Attachments
Korpse the grave digger.png
Tourist
Bananas received 3

Postby vege » March 5th, 2015, 7:10 am

@Tonberry2000 Your feedback is interesting for me, i agree.
So, i did a changes, this is another example.

Either way, they will decide which is more suitable for the game.
I can paint the clouds more solid but then they could to look like mountains :/
Attachments
clouds2 total BLUE pixelated.jpg
example2
clouds2 total BLUE pixelated.jpg (53.21 KiB) Viewed 138970 times
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 49

Postby Phyreburnz » March 5th, 2015, 7:21 am

Oh, I really like that background. Where is it from, or did you make it? I love the idea of the comet in the starry night sky.

*EDIT* About the character concept art, it's a good idea and everything. The problem with adding new characters is that other than me painstakingly cutting and pasting various body parts together of existing sprites, there is no way for them to get made. It is really hard to make something when I don't have a base to go off of. Right now, the best possible way of adding anything totally new to the game is to make a 3d model of it and do all of the animations. (I'm specifically referring to character concept art)
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Cano'beans » March 5th, 2015, 7:31 am

Alright, that's fine. I'll try creating a character that's similar to an old baddie.
Tourist
Bananas received 3

Postby ZillyZango » March 5th, 2015, 10:13 am

I like the one at midnight with the comet in the background, vege.

Oh! Oh! I think for levels in the clouds...Squawks and Squitter would be a fun asset. WHO DOESN'T LIKE SKY SPIDERS?!

For level names...?

Kloud Kapers (Regular level)
Kopter Klouds (Stage filled with Kopters, either avoiding them with Squawks or Squitter half way)
Thunderstorm Swarm (Filled with Zingers, and lightning)
Stormy Sky (Level with wind and lightning)
Tempest Terror (Windy Level)
Kloud Kongculand (The next stressful level. A cloud cuckooland is where everything is perfect. This could be very difficult level)
Perturbed Paradise (Another crazy level)

And @PhyreBurns

I think the closest thing (I know you most likely don't plan on it) would have Krook as the base.

Ha ha. I don't know. I'm just thinking. :gnawty-lol:
Tourist
Bananas received 5

Postby vege » March 5th, 2015, 12:49 pm

ZillyZango @Phyreburnz Thanks.
Yes, i did that background, it is a bit random, here other version (without the comet).
Attachments
clouds2 total BLUE pixelated full.jpg
clouds2 total BLUE pixelated full.jpg (39.09 KiB) Viewed 138914 times
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 49

Postby vege » March 5th, 2015, 12:54 pm

version with comet
Attachments
clouds2 total BLUE pixelated full comet.jpg
with comet
clouds2 total BLUE pixelated full comet.jpg (39.48 KiB) Viewed 138913 times
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 49

Postby thetoad11 » March 5th, 2015, 1:58 pm

Hey, not sure if Kremlahari has a theme already, but I thought I'd submit a potential theme.

DKC Trilogy sounds:

Regular Sounds:
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 50

Postby Tonberry2000 » March 6th, 2015, 2:00 am

I don't know if you've thought of a Kremling world yet, but I'd like to suggest "Krem de la Krem." It's a pun on this:

crème de la crème:
(idiomatic, singular only) Best of the best; something superlative. The very best.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 30

Postby VideoViking » March 6th, 2015, 6:59 am

Krem De La Krem can even mean the name of a Kremling boss.

Just sayin'
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 41

Postby Cano'beans » March 6th, 2015, 7:59 am

Do you guys remember the roly poly clown from the Toy story game? I think I'll combine some kremling body parts on the clown's body and name him Klutz.
Tourist
Bananas received 3

Postby Phyreburnz » March 6th, 2015, 12:14 pm

Okay... I'm going to have to clarify a little bit more... I don't want to sound like a jerk or anything, but I really can't just make everybody's custom enemy ideas. It takes a lot of work to get the animations that I do and get them done right. It is fine if other people would like to make their own custom sprites and animations, but it is just too hard for me to go ahead and make them. If you are able to make your own sprites, or do 3d models and animations, that is great. Please do, but please don't expect me to just be able to make your custom enemy ideas.

It would be really great if I could make all of these enemies, but all I have to work with are preexisting sprites. I don't do modeling or 3d animating. I'm not proficient enough in that to be able to do it. Trust me, I'd love to, but it would take way too much time for me to be able to do that. I'm busy with student teaching right now, especially, so my time is much more limited.

Please don't take this the wrong way. I really wish I could do these ideas, but I just don't have the time and probably the resources to make these characters.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby ZillyZango » March 6th, 2015, 1:13 pm

Its totally fine, Phyreburns! I edit existing sprites anyway, so don't worry about it! :D

I just wish I could get approval from the main creators so I could get a reason to do it. I don't feel like putting blood sweat and tears into something that won't be used, y'get my drift?
Tourist
Bananas received 5

Postby Samuel Buechele » March 8th, 2015, 5:25 am

Hey guys! Here you can download all my works for this project so far:
http://speedy.sh/bQpsE/Samuel-Buechele-DKC.7z

The next few months I won't have much time to make music for this project. Maybe I will make some remixes of the DKCTF soundtrack with the DKC soundfont. Do you want to have Tropical Freeze songs in DKC4? I have songs like Amiss Abyss or Seashore War in mind.
Tourist
Bananas received 10

Postby thetoad11 » March 9th, 2015, 11:39 am

While looking through the custom levels thread, I saw Phyreburnz's Flooded Factory with the oily water and floating oil drums and I felt inspired to compose for that level, and I guess anything else that might fit that vein. I present to you, Polluted Paradise. I really wanted to keep this song as something that could inspire some sort of nostalgia while still being it's own thing and also having a more emotional sound than some of my previous works. I kinda followed the basic structure of Fear Factory's composition while still being uniquely mine.

DKC trilogy Sounds

Regular Sounds

Like with my other works, both versions of this song are downloadable via soundcloud.
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 50

Postby ZillyZango » March 9th, 2015, 11:50 am

Could someone show me the link to Custom Levels thread? :O I've been looking but I seem to miss it. Is it not in the DKC Fanworks thread?
Tourist
Bananas received 5

Postby thetoad11 » March 9th, 2015, 11:52 am

If you just go to the active topics thread using the navigation at the very top, you should see a thread in there called DKLB custom level ideas.

But for your trouble its viewtopic.php?f=53&t=354

EDIT: It's in the delta project subforum, not fanworks
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 50

Postby Phyreburnz » March 9th, 2015, 12:12 pm

Oh, I LOVE the flooded factory music! That sounds beautiful. I think it's your best one yet! Whatever you're doing, keep doing it, cos it's working! :D
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby thetoad11 » March 12th, 2015, 10:30 am

So I guess this is a question for the team, but I was wondering about two distinct themes. The first is the bonus theme. Do you guys have one, are you using one from one of he previous games to invoke nostalgia, or are you looking for one to be made.

The second theme is concerning the vehicle levels. I know that the vehicle levels will be spanning multiple level archetypes so it's not going to be a mine cart madness type deal with the vehicle level's theme. Sooo my question is, will the vehicle level's theme depend on their archetype and use that archetype's theme a la DKC2, will there be a universal vehicle theme a la DKC3, or will it be one theme which goes through musical variances depending on the level a la DKCR. Or is there going to be a unique theme for each of these vehicle levels?
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 50

Postby vege » March 15th, 2015, 8:51 am

https://soundcloud.com/dj-vegetto/vege-no-time-for-fear-donkey-kong-soundfont

Maybe this song is not suitable for the game, but I did this one exclusively with the sounds of DKC1.
I hope your comments to define if it is a work in progress.
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 49

Postby thetoad11 » March 17th, 2015, 8:40 am

vege I think it needs work. It's very chaotic, and while the beginning holds a very atmospheric sort of... atmosphere, it starts to evolve into..... noise. Atmospheric tunes are more suited to be slow. If you try to speed things up, you end up with just a collection of sounds just kinda trying to pound through. If you were to try slowing it down, removing some excess tracks, maybe adding a little melodic element to the mix, you'd be far better off. If you want to keep the speed, you need to go for a more melody driven song, instead of the more tuneless atmosphere approach.

Now moving on, I composed a snow theme. I'm not sure if you guys have any snow levels happening, but if you have them and they lack a theme, I think his could work. It started to get kinda aquatic as the loop point approached, but most of the song is very suited to a cold windy sorta blizzard type location, so this could work for an outdoor snow level a la Ice Age Alley or Skidda's Row. I guess the mystery element might allow it to work for a different archetype with frozen elements, like the dkc1 misty mine, or if you wanna add water to an outdoor snow archetype, this would work great, I think. Regardless, here it is.

DKC Trilogy Sounds

Regular Sounds

As per the usual, both versions can be downloaded via soundcloud
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 50

Postby vege » March 17th, 2015, 8:56 am

Ok, thanks for the feedback Thetoad111, it is very accurate.
I deleted that one, because i am working in a new version with less "noise" and different progression.

-------
I like that wind effect in your song, maybe it is bit repetitive (mainly the melody of the "crystals"), but i like its composition anyway, it sounds beautiful.
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 49

Postby Simion32 » March 17th, 2015, 8:57 am

@thetoad11: This theme is absolutely beautiful! :D

I'm imagining an above-ground combo DKC2/DKC1 mines level where the whole place has been iced over and there's water in some of the pits, which could be icy cold (limited swim time). That is, combining about 5 different archetypes at once.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 331

Postby thetoad11 » March 17th, 2015, 9:10 am

Vege, I will agree that my glockenspiel part is repetitive, but my composing style tends to involve heavy use of musical motifs. Most of my work tends to have something being repeated throughout the song. Polluted Paradise has a vibe part going through 90% of the tune, Sand Dune Dirge's bassline never changes, There's a section in my swamp theme where a marimba just keeps repeating, so on and so forth. Regardless, I do understand your point.

Simion, thank you for your kind input. I'd love to see this theme used, and that kind of level sounds very fitting. I guess it's up to the dev team, though, ultimately where it ends up, if it ends up anywhere at all.
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 50

Postby thetoad11 » March 26th, 2015, 1:21 pm

Excuse the double post, but I have a new theme. I think it could be useful if you're having any Big Ape City levels, because it has a kind of urban feel, I think. It was originally a cave theme, but the it was a factory theme, and eventually it became best suited to city levels. So if you'e gonna include Krazy Kongstruction, this might be the theme to use. Or you can do whatever you want. Maybe it works better somewhere else. I do also kinda get a final stretch vibe from it, so it could be used close to the end of the main game?

DKC Trilogy Version:

Regular Version
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 50

Postby Ninni973 » March 27th, 2015, 3:30 am

Hey, guys, I've got a level idea for you.

Name: Haunted Hive
Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=og5I5XBgXb8 (DKC version would be nice)
Pic:
Haunted Hive (fake DKC screenshot).png
Haunted Hive (fake DKC screenshot).png (66.16 KiB) Viewed 138026 times

Info:

After several years of King Zing's demise, many of the Zingers in King Zing's Hive died, and the hive became much darker. However, the souls of the dead Zingers still reside inside this forbidden, gloomy hive. The Ghost Zingers are able to hurt the Kongs, but not able to die, no matter what you do. So it is best to avoid them. You'll also see Ghost Ropes, Kloaks, and normal Kremlings like Kritters, etc.

So what do you think, guys?
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 15

Postby Gaz » March 27th, 2015, 5:00 am

A haunted beehive? That's actually one of the best level hybrids I've seen. No, really, I'd love to play that level. :thumbs: But the place looks a bit dark though. Will Squawks hold a flashlight and help guide you throughout like in Torchlight Trouble?
Gaz
Taster of Pork
Bananas received 47

Postby Phyreburnz » March 27th, 2015, 6:06 am

Nini, that is a truly epic idea for a level! Are you planning on making the level or were you just throwing out the idea? If you aren't making the level, I would really love to do it for you and of course give you credit for your wonderful idea! :)
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Ninni973 » March 27th, 2015, 7:37 am

I just gave off the ideas for you guys. And thanks, Gaz and Phyreburnz. I got the idea from listening to The Hive by Kevin MacLeod, the song I put for the level. And Phyreburnz, you are free to give me credit.
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 15

Postby ZillyZango » March 27th, 2015, 11:28 am

That is an awesome idea, Ninni!
I think you should at least suggest where the collectable items go in the level for Phyreburnz! You most likely have the best image of the level design in your head.
Tourist
Bananas received 5

Postby Phyreburnz » March 27th, 2015, 11:38 am

I actually never put any items in my levels that I make, I leave that up to whomever wants to use my levels. Although, Leocore did tell me that he wants to teach me how to use their program after the demo comes out so I can put levels in myself...

Nini, maybe if you have an idea in your head about how you'd like the level to be laid out, I could do my best. Nothing special, just an ms paint drawing will do... even if you drew an image and scanned it in :)
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby ZillyZango » March 27th, 2015, 12:41 pm

I had an idea for a circus level.
After all, haven't they been overused in kind of recent games and movies? Madagascar, Scooby Doo, Mario, so...I think we bring it to DKC.

The level would be composed of barrels, zingers, and other flying enemies. And maybe even rings of fire that reward you with bananas if you fly through them. Maybe some switches too, having to hit them with barrels. It think it would be a very entertaining level to play.
The best ideas I have for names are 'Kroc Karnival', 'Circus Kraze' and 'Big Top Bonanza'
Tourist
Bananas received 5

Postby Ninni973 » March 27th, 2015, 1:11 pm

Phyreburnz, here is my Haunted Hive level layout.

Haunted Hive level layout.png

Just change the terrain and background's saturation to 10, and lightness, -50. Thanks.
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 15

Postby Simion32 » March 27th, 2015, 1:19 pm

Absolutely astonishing level archetype!!! I've not seen something quite so inventive for some time. :D

@Ninni: That level isn't nearly long enough to be considered DKC-calibur. You may want to consider making it longer so that it's 2 times as long.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 331

Postby CatLoverMolly » April 3rd, 2015, 9:26 am

Well, this has nothing to do with the (very cool) topic at hand, but have this song anyway.
Song.mp3
(1.69 MiB) Downloaded 1141 times

I think it sounds kind of snow-level-like, but I couldn't decide, hence the lack of an actual title.
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 100

Postby thetoad11 » April 4th, 2015, 8:03 am

If you guys needed a cave theme, fear not. I come bearing gifts.

DKC trilogy version:

Other version:
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 50

Postby Simion32 » April 4th, 2015, 1:13 pm

Sounds good. :)

If I had more of a finesse with music type software, I could probably improve on that song tremendously, but you know how that goes. Expensive software plus inexperience and physical barrier equals stuck. :roll:

Otherwise I'm not sure how to word what I would improve, it's more of a conceptual thing.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 331

Postby thetoad11 » April 4th, 2015, 11:57 pm

Yeah, I sorta know what you mean. I was rolling with the song because that's where it was taking me, but I'm not sure if I was truly happy with the end result. I just couldn't find a way to make it better, and closer to what I might have wanted.
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 50

Postby thetoad11 » April 8th, 2015, 1:18 am

Slowly becoming the double post king because I always have something to add that won't be noticed if I just edit it in.....

I know that there was a castle level in the custom levels thread, and while it also showcased lava, I found it was still more castle-like. I ended up composing a castle theme, as a result, and in the spirit of Krook's March, I made a musical throwback, except instead of referencing the classic Jungle Groove, I referenced a slightly different character's theme. You'll know it when you hear it.

DKC Trilogy version:

Regular:
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 50

Postby GhostThrow » April 8th, 2015, 3:14 pm

Cool to see stuff's still going not to mention the fan stuff! Also, thetoad11 I'm really diggin' your music, reminds me a lot of the classics :funky:
Newcomer
Bananas received 2

PreviousNext

Return to DKC Projects/Fanworks