Donkey Kong Country 4: The Kongs Return

Working on your own project related to the Donkey Kong Country series?
This forum is your place to discuss fangames, artwork, stories and so forth which are DKC relevant.

Re: Donkey Kong Country 4: The Kongs Return

Postby Phyreburnz » February 11th, 2015, 12:18 pm

Yeah, absolutely go ahead and do some original compositions if you'd like to! By the way, if you're looking for music styles, feel free to look at the custom levels I've done. I know there are more level styles up the developer's sleeves, but I can only vouch for my own. They are a little more secretive with the levels than I am :P
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Samuel Buechele » February 11th, 2015, 5:19 pm

Can you give me screenshots of the stages to get inspiration for tracks? Or where can I find videos of the stages? :)
Tourist
Bananas received 10

Postby Phyreburnz » February 11th, 2015, 9:51 pm

Here is the quickest way to see all of the custom levels. There is custom music for the mine+mine cart level as well as the lightning bug level, which is the forest at night.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Samuel Buechele » February 11th, 2015, 10:46 pm

Thanks a lot! I will try making a few tracks. Where can I send them to you?
Tourist
Bananas received 10

Postby Samuel Buechele » February 11th, 2015, 10:56 pm

I would love to make a track for the Kremlantis underwater level ;)
Tourist
Bananas received 10

Postby Qyzbud » February 12th, 2015, 12:50 am

Hi Samuel, welcome to DKC Atlas.

I've listened to (and loved!) your tunes on SoundCloud, and your style seems like a great fit for groovy DKC remixes. Your take on Stickerb(r)ush Symphony is proof enough to my ears:

It gives me a Tropical Freeze vibe, actually; was the music of the latest DKC game an inspiration at all?

EDIT: After a few listens, I'm starting to think that the Twilight Terror intro music might've even been used as the basis for your track — or am I mistaken? :scratch:

Spoiler!

Anyhow, I'd love to hear what you can do with the Kremlantis theme, as it's one of my favourite DKL tracks, and I reckon it'd sound great in your style.

By the way, we try to avoid posting several times in a row here on the forum, as it starts to get kind of spammy; just use the 'EDIT' button near the top-right of a post to edit in anything you wish to add. Here's a link to the rules and guidelines of the forum, for reference. (There's a link next to the forum logo way up top, too!)
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Samuel Buechele » February 12th, 2015, 1:44 am

I just put a few drums and strings under twilight terror. Thats really nothing special :)
I didnt know that there was a kremlantis theme in the Game Boy version. I thought you guys invented this whole idea of kremlantis so i made a new track. Its not done but I think it turned out really well and its style is very close to David Wise. Where can I show it? I can also remix the original theme if you want. :) Im so motivated to help you guys make this project epic.
Okay I uploaded it here.
Attachments
Kremlantis new.mp3
(3.92 MiB) Downloaded 1424 times
Tourist
Bananas received 10

Postby Qyzbud » February 12th, 2015, 2:08 am

Ah, so I wasn't crazy in thinking I was hearing similarities after all. That's always nice. :)

Attaching files here is fine, but I'd suggest embedding your future compositions here via SoundCloud; that's probably the most convenient way to share it, and the most gentle on our server resources.

I'm sure everyone will enjoy hearing what you come up with, and your enthusiasm is very welcome! :banana:

EDIT: I like your new Kremlantis composition — very nice! :thumbs:
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Phyreburnz » February 12th, 2015, 7:36 am

I'm hoping that all of these levels will be in DKC4. Leocore wants to show me how to add the levels in myself once he and hiperkalango are able to release the demo.

I think you're fine posting them here. :)
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Samuel Buechele » February 12th, 2015, 8:08 am

Okay thanks for the advice! I uploaded the track on soundcloud. It's finished now.
https://soundcloud.com/samuelbuechele/t ... -dave-wise
Tourist
Bananas received 10

Postby Simion32 » February 12th, 2015, 10:06 am

Sounds like it'd fit Glimmering Galleon somewhat. Nice song! :D
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 331

Postby Cyclone » February 12th, 2015, 8:51 pm

Great track. I really like it. :thumbs:
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 559

Postby Samuel Buechele » February 12th, 2015, 9:47 pm

Thanks a lot :)

Is there music for the graveyard level yet?
Tourist
Bananas received 10

Postby discocreeper101 » February 14th, 2015, 2:45 pm

Hello,
I have created some Zombie Klaptrap sprites for the graveyard level(s) and I was wondering weather I need to give the whole sprite sheet or separated images.
Anyway here is the file. :gift:
Attachments
zombie_klaptrap.png
zombie_klaptrap.png (5.77 KiB) Viewed 146155 times
Newcomer

Postby sonosublime » February 14th, 2015, 5:02 pm

Looks like it's really coming along. Can't wait.

It's probably too late, but I like the concept of Glimmering Galleon so much, I reckon it should be a world, or at least several levels instead of a single level. Maybe you could make some Snowmad enemies for it. :pointy-tuck: :bashmaster:
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 228

Postby Phyreburnz » February 15th, 2015, 4:11 am

Okay, so this is a message to anybody who wants to create anything for the DKC4 project:

If you would like to contribute, please just show us what you can do. Give us images, music files, sprites, or samples of whatever you would like to add to the project. That way, we can go through and see what we like more easily. If you have an idea, feel free to just share it. Let us know you would like to contribute, what it is you'd like to contribute, and a sample.

And hey, if you think you have a really good idea for something that already exists (for instance, an alternate music track or if you think you can make sprites better than me :P ) go ahead and give us some alternative options. I don't want to make anybody feel bad, but I feel that to make the project as good as it can be, maybe a little friendly competition is a good thing. Who knows, if you come up with music you think is good for a level that already has music, maybe one of the tracks could be moved to a different level.

As for the Glimmering Galleon suggestion, I'll see what else I can freeze :) As for adding enemies from another game without existing sprites, I can't really do that. Somebody would have to take the existing models, animate them, and then digitize the individual frames.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby leo_core » February 16th, 2015, 5:33 pm

Hello!
I have not been very active in the forum because I have spent mornings working phases for the demo.
After this demo we will "recruit" the Phyreburnz to create levels for the game, will be as many and I takes almost two weeks to create a level with their bonus.

Samuel, heard his music and I think you're very talented, thank you for lending a bit of his talent. Welcome to our project!

I have many things to talk to you, excuse the lack of time. Not to come here with nothing, here are some screenshots of the levels I'm working. I'll try to post a video tomorrow if I have time...
Spoiler!
I'm using elevators in the level of the hive and Kremlings can go up and down from elevators.

Kremlahari

One of the bonus from Kremlahari
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 72

Postby Phyreburnz » February 17th, 2015, 12:16 am

I'm liking your songs, Samuel! (By the way, do you mind if I call you Sam?)
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Gaz » February 17th, 2015, 4:36 am

Whoa, leo_core! Those levels look wicked! I'd love to play through them. So when is the demo planned for a release? :D
Gaz
Taster of Pork
Bananas received 47

Postby Samuel Buechele » February 17th, 2015, 6:34 am

Thank you! Yes you can call me Sam if you want to ;)
Tourist
Bananas received 10

Postby thetoad11 » February 17th, 2015, 6:46 am

So I'm functioning under the assumption that anything Phyre puts on the custom levels page is intended for DKC4, so when I saw the sky level idea, I thought I'd compose something for it. I did two versions, one which uses Donkey Kong Country trilogy samples (I'm putting that one in now), and using my instrument library (which I'll edit in later when it's processed and uploaded). So, yeah, proposed sky theme from me, Jetstream Jingle.

DKC trilogy version:

Regular Version:
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 50

Postby Phyreburnz » February 17th, 2015, 6:57 am

Yeah, pretty much. Anybody is allowed to use my levels if they want (as long as they give me credit, of course), but I am specifically doing them for the DKC4 project.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Samuel Buechele » February 17th, 2015, 8:46 am

Would it be possible to make a level out of the flying crocodile in dkc2?
Tourist
Bananas received 10

Postby spaceman2028 » February 17th, 2015, 9:58 am

Now THERE'S an idea, Samuel! Phyre, if you try the idea, think of Knautilus and/or the blimp stages in DKL for stage design.

thetoad11, i personally love the regular music one more.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 26

Postby Simion32 » February 18th, 2015, 4:12 am

A name idea for that Hive level.... "Edulcorated Elevators" :banana:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 331

Postby discocreeper101 » February 18th, 2015, 5:35 pm

thetoad11, how did you make your music for the project? :huh:
Newcomer

Postby thetoad11 » February 19th, 2015, 3:29 am

Um, I just used FL studio 11, and put in what I thought sounded good?
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 50

Postby spaceman2028 » February 20th, 2015, 12:20 pm

You could also use MOD tracks for music, if that even works. You may have to use NFM or some other java program to listen to samples, but i think KnockerB.mod sounds good for the cloud levels(which you could of used the DKL sky level music for), if not just some sky levels in particular.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 26

Postby thetoad11 » February 20th, 2015, 1:39 pm

If you were aiming that at me, I'm fine with my system. It's worked well for me for years, and I know my way around the program.
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 50

Postby Phyreburnz » February 22nd, 2015, 4:00 am

Oh, Sam! I like that very much! :D Wonderful!

As for a level with the stuff from the flying Kroc... I'm not sure... There isn't a whole lot to work with, but let me take a look... maybe if it could be done, it could be reminiscent of the blimp levels in DKL.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Phyreburnz » February 22nd, 2015, 11:54 pm

Sorry for the double post, I just wanted to specifically ask if somebody could make music for this stage:

This stage (Bullfrog Bog) will be in the demo and we would like to see some custom music for the demo, rather than just using DKC music that already exists.

I did ask hiperkalango if there were anymore stages that he needed custom music for so I will post back here and let you know what he says.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby thetoad11 » February 23rd, 2015, 7:00 am

I am also going to try my hand at the stage's theme
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 50

Postby thetoad11 » February 23rd, 2015, 10:04 am

Sorry about the double post, but I did manage to finish my attempt at a swamp theme. Once again, two versions. One in DKC trilogy sounds, one in my sounds.

DKC Trilogy version:

Regular Version:
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 50

Postby Simion32 » February 23rd, 2015, 10:49 am

:thumbs: :diddyrock: :thumbs:

I think we have another David Wise here. :P
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 331

Postby Phyreburnz » February 26th, 2015, 9:05 am

thetoad11, we would like to use your song for the demo. Is there anyway you can make it so it can be downloaded?

Actually, if anybody that uploads their songs could make it so we can download it, that would be great. :)
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Samuel Buechele » February 26th, 2015, 11:44 pm

Okay then you can use my version for a different song :) I'm not ready yet.
Tourist
Bananas received 10

Postby thetoad11 » February 27th, 2015, 12:54 am

Of course. My computer (which I thought was better now) crashed again so it might take me just a bit ( replying via iPod is slow) but I will go and make the song downloadable. Do you want me to make both versions a download or just one in particular?
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 50

Postby leo_core » February 27th, 2015, 2:19 am

Hello friends!
I came clarify why the demo is delayed and talk about what we have done in the project.
Sorry for not being with subtitles in English, then I'll write the transcript of what I said in the video and post it here.
Later I come to do that.

Video transcription:
Spoiler!
Sorry I did not speak English.
Briefly am explaining in the video that the project dont stop, is happening, we are working on the levels edition.
The available time we have to work on the project is our free time, free labor, free of our labors of the day, off time we devote our families.

Everyone goes through a period of little free time available and we are going through a this period.
Create a level takes time, requires planning for a level always stay as much as possible different from the other.

Do Not it is only spread the collectibles and enemies at level and ready, is not how it works.
A level takes about two weeks to get ready, the level and their bonus.

In the video I am also clarifying that the level of the hive not will have honey on the wall so the kongs "glue" it to reach higher places.
As yet we not have this ready engine and do not want to lose time to add it (will be added later to 4 kongs) then created a elevator systems for the use of rope and barrels hurling are not so repetitive.

We are working on the project and that eventually this demo will be ready.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 72

Postby VideoViking » February 27th, 2015, 7:49 am

Samuel, just wanted to let you know that I left you a PM on your Inbox.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 41

Postby sonosublime » February 27th, 2015, 2:32 pm

Beautiful. You really have a talent for making music.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 228

Postby ZillyZango » March 1st, 2015, 10:05 am

Hey all.

I was gone for a long time. (Not that anyone probably missed me) And I'm here to help (Kind of) :oops:

Sam, your music is freaking amazing. :thumbs:

I don't know if you've finished all graveyard levels (If theres' more than one) but I was thinking about there being a graveyard level where there is a Kackle that ghosts around your kongs. It would drift toward them and there would be some waiting involved in the level, such as springing up on the mushrooms, spinning barrels, it would just be a maze, but wide open on how to avoid this Kackle.
The best ideas I have for such a level name are: Kr/Cemetary K/Chase, Paranormal Pursuit and Tomb Trail. *o*
What do you guys think? Again, this can pave the way for a similar level, like a Kremlantis level, with a giant fish instead of a ghost. :o: :k: ?
Tourist
Bananas received 5

Postby sonosublime » March 1st, 2015, 1:45 pm

I really like this idea. Have a maze level in a crypt in the vein of SNES Yoshi's Island, with many ways to trick and avoid the pursuing ghost.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 228

Postby Phyreburnz » March 2nd, 2015, 1:31 am

Sam, that is an amazing song. Hiperkalango does want to use thetoad's song for the swamp, but I have an idea for another level to use this music. I'm thinking a forest/swamp level.

I actually had that song going through my head last night I liked it so much!
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

PreviousNext

Return to DKC Projects/Fanworks