Donkey Kong Country 4: The Kongs Return

Working on your own project related to the Donkey Kong Country series?
This forum is your place to discuss fangames, artwork, stories and so forth which are DKC relevant.

Re: Donkey Kong Country 4: The Kongs Return

Postby hiperkalango » August 24th, 2014, 4:09 pm

After almost one year, the much anticipated Update 2 of Buddies was launched.
We apologize for the delay, because we had to redesign the engine, so we left corner of the engine Buddies.
My thanks to Phyreburnz by Sprites and LeoCore by Ellie engine ...
We hope you enjoy! :thumbs:

Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 88

Postby Qyzbud » August 24th, 2014, 5:02 pm

This is looking very polished indeed! Everything looks and sounds responsive and seamless.

Well done, guys! :thumbs:
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Addie » August 24th, 2014, 5:57 pm

Squitter :D

Game looks fine as always, and darn it looks like so much fun. Will there be gamepad support for this game so I can use my dualshock or something?
Tourist
Bananas received 46

Postby Super Luigi! » August 25th, 2014, 2:48 am

I must say, excellent work [tag]hiperkalango/[tag]! I know it was a group effort, but still well done! I'd say you've replicated the animal buddies flawlessly. I mean, I forgot this wasn't an official DKC game! You and your team make the Atlas and DKC proud!
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 301

Postby leo_core » August 25th, 2014, 7:43 am

Hello to all!
I'm still no time to work on the project with Fernando but I kept in touch with him and I'm transferring some engines I've ever done.

Fernando, you perfectly put Ellie in the current engine! It looks great! Hey, did you can do Glimmer or Lantern Squawks in next updates?
(tem também o Purple Squawks cara, que carrega barris e os outros buddies)
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 72

Postby spaceman2028 » August 25th, 2014, 10:42 am

And just to keep this thread alive, i had another boss fight idea where you survive an army of Rockrocks by destroying them with TNT barrels.
Also, are those unused mecha kritter enemies from DKC1 going to be used, seeing as Mr. X is already in development? (I also ponder where Karni Kong went...)
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 26

Postby Rux Ton » August 25th, 2014, 1:13 pm

When this showed up in my sub box I was SOO happy. This is seriously fantastic, guys!

Just let me know if you ever need some custom DKC style music ;)

Haha seriously though this is AMAZING. Seamless, and just ugh. You even got the physics right. I could not be happier :)
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 17

Postby Phyreburnz » August 26th, 2014, 1:49 pm

Awesome job with the new animal buddies! :)

By the way, I know that I frequent the forums much more often than hiperkalango, and I do speak with him via facebook frequently, so if there is something you're interested in contributing to the DKC4 project, you guys are more than welcome to let me know and I'll pass on the information. I usually visit the forum a couple of times a day, even if I don't log in every day.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Addie » August 26th, 2014, 2:06 pm

WIll there be new animal buddies introduced?

also you should totally bring back Quawks
Tourist
Bananas received 46

Postby spaceman2028 » September 6th, 2014, 4:28 am

Bumping this thread back to life. Phyreburnz, i know you are most certainly going to be busy, but i can't thank how well you make sprites enough, and so i recommend you try and make level designs for this game.

Or, you know, just find bosses that would fit into this game(Karni Kong and Mr. x have disappeared from this SMBX spoof)...
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 26

Postby Phyreburnz » September 6th, 2014, 9:04 am

Spaceman, I've actually done several levels that will be in the game. Even though I posted them in the DKCLB level ideas section of the forum, I've made them available for anybody that wishes to use them. I've let HiperKalango know of my levels and he will be including at least some of them.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby spaceman2028 » September 6th, 2014, 10:21 am

Well you could also make bosses for this game like i posted in the custom sprites topic.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 26

Postby zaneebaslave » September 7th, 2014, 1:19 am

I would... LIKE to contribute something to the project. What I mean is, I have ideas of what I would like to contribute, but actually don't have anything to contribute yet. Also, due to unfortunate chronic procrastination, I might never actually contribute anything. I was on this forum some time back saying I would make a new boss for you (Karni Kong or something) and still haven't done it for all these years.

CONFOUND YOU, CHRONIC PROCRASTINATION. :rant:

What I'd LIKE to provide is sprites for perhaps a boss or an enemy for the game. Perhaps a new kremling! :krool:
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 34

Postby spaceman2028 » September 7th, 2014, 3:28 am

Or, you know, make Expresso/Squawks/Quawks fight against Master Necky/Krow/Screech like that idea of Squitter fighting Arich.
...What IS chronic procrastination, anyways?
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 26

Postby zaneebaslave » September 7th, 2014, 3:58 am

I suppose it just means that I procrastinate to the point of never actually finishing anything. I am attempting to break this terrible habit by working on smaller projects, which is working pretty well.

I have done a bit of a concept animation of the kremling I'm gonna make: The Kersplash!

Basically, he's just a kremling in a deep-dive helmet. He should be pretty easy to input into the game. He just walks around in water-levels, and is easily killed by enguarde the sword fish. Next thing i have to do is make the 3D model. I'll update you once I have that done. i might eventually revive ol' Karni Kong. He went the way of the do-do bird when my computer froze and I didn't save my progress on him...
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 34

Postby spaceman2028 » September 7th, 2014, 10:54 am

The kodd looks REAL good! His name should be something like "Kasplash" but yeah. Thanks for bringing karni kong back by the way.
Had the idea of Pink Enguarde who acts like Purple Squawks but is faster and instead of dashing into enemies and defeating them, she would do an upward jump into the air, which would have an arcing effect. Also should we bring back those unused Mecha-Kritters from DKC1? There're rarely used. You could also do Krosshair.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 26

Postby zaneebaslave » September 7th, 2014, 10:57 am

... KERSPLASH! Darn, I should have thought of that!
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 34

Postby spaceman2028 » September 7th, 2014, 2:03 pm

LOL here's another idea i thought up: I'm gonna try and set out a name, and then someone can attempt to make a character out of it.
For the first idea, try making something that fits the name "Ka-chunk" as a kremling enemy.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 26

Postby zaneebaslave » September 8th, 2014, 6:36 am

Here's the tiniest morsel of progress. It's a very small deep dive helmet!

I made it in 3D and then color scrunched it all to 16 colors just the same as the Donkey Kong sprites. I am fairly pleased with how much it looks like an actual Donkey Kong sprite, although I now realize that I shouldn't have made the face holes on the helmet actually metal. It leaves unsightly white pixels all over the place when color-crunched. It's an easy fix, though, so expect more progress in the future!

I haven't worked on the kremling that goes into the helmet yet. That'll be my next step, then animation.
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 34

Postby spaceman2028 » September 8th, 2014, 2:26 pm

Hey hyperkalango, have you viewed this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4Q46Q4ushk
Could make a good alternate for the current boss music.

...Also, how's the progress on world 2 coming along?
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 26

Postby Rux Ton » September 8th, 2014, 5:50 pm

@Zaneebaslave

That sprite looks FANTASTIC! I love how you literally made it as if it were apart of the DKC game by color reducing it... Man that is just SO cool lol I wish I had ability to do that, it would make my face-mask character thing a lot better :P >>>>(see avatar)

So wait, is there any extra music needed? :o
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 17

Postby spaceman2028 » September 9th, 2014, 4:05 am

well not really rux ton, just mentioned it cause the music in-game does not sound too well...
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 26

Postby Rux Ton » September 9th, 2014, 9:17 am

Welp if you are interested I have 2 examples of DKC style music I have made:
https://soundcloud.com/ruxton/barrels-up-high/s-tcHSO
and
https://soundcloud.com/ruxton/klasps-that-kreep/s-pQtIP

(Thanks to William Kage and BlueTronic for the instruments)

I really enjoy making music that sounds like it came from any of the 3 games for SNES :D
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 17

Postby zaneebaslave » September 9th, 2014, 10:20 am

Another update before I leave my computer. I almost have the model done for ol' Kersplash, and have a sprite of him side by side with Donkey Kong.

Yes, he has no feet. I'll add some later.

I was gonna give him pants, but I dunno if the amount of colors will allow me to do so. I might be able to add pants. Maybe... I mean, Dixie has a good amount of colors on her. She has pink, brown, skin color, and yellow hair. I might try not to mess with it, though. I don't really wanna mess it up.

Tell me what you think!
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 34

Postby Phyreburnz » September 9th, 2014, 10:30 am

Very nice looking so far! As for pants, I'm not quite sure that he needs any. I think he looks good the way he is (or after he gets feet, that is!).
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Rux Ton » September 9th, 2014, 1:34 pm

@Zaneebaslave

THAT LOOKS SO COOL! Really has the Donkey Kong feel. Reminds me of an enemy that would be in DKC3. I could also imagine a boss battle with a .. larger and/or submarine/robot version of this baddie!
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 17

Postby spaceman2028 » September 9th, 2014, 4:26 pm

Maybe we could use the helmet sprite itself as if it was one of the items you could use with the brother bears, atleast once the boss version of the enemy is defeated.
(which reminds me: would classic villains such as KAOS[best boss in the series] return in this game?)
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 26

Postby Rux Ton » September 10th, 2014, 2:39 am

^^ Thats actually a really neat idea. Good symbolism there! Beat the boss and get it's helmet. PERFECT!

Argh Kaos! Made me so mad! :P
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 17

Postby spaceman2028 » September 10th, 2014, 6:38 am

in my opinion Kaos was my favorite boss in DKC3. But it WAS pretty hard to deal with-much practice would be necessary.
Zaneebaslave have you started the design on "Ka-chunk?" I think his design should be the same as Krook but with tubes instead of hooks, and that the tubes shoot spiked balls attached to chains inside the arm cannons. Kinda like flails! The only difference between Krook's Hooks and Ka-Chunk's "flail launchers" is that Ka-Chunk's reach is shorter and that he can shoot upwards and downwards diagonally. Red versions, if made, may also shoot twice, as their arms are independent.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 26

Postby zaneebaslave » September 10th, 2014, 7:07 am

I'll work on some ideas after I'm done with Kersplash. It shouldn't be much longer before he's done. All that needs done is the animations for him and then I'll be set. As for new enemies, I need to do some serious thought on what the new kremlings are going to look like. Dkc1 had army style kremlings, dkc2 had pirates, and Dkc3 had... Uh... Weird kremlings. I might go with an Olmec/Aztec look for the kremlings this time! We'll just have to see.
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 34

Postby Phyreburnz » September 10th, 2014, 7:10 am

Aztec Kremlings could look pretty cool! I'm excited to see what you come up with! If you need any help coming up with sketches, I'd be more than happy to help.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Rux Ton » September 10th, 2014, 7:11 am

I think I was contacted by somebody to make a beach tune :o (Well, assuming thats what it is for haha) And boy let me tell you this is fun ;o
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 17

Postby spaceman2028 » September 10th, 2014, 7:30 am

Well since we are combining the stuff from all 3 games(i assume an engine will include Koins?) there's no need for an overall theme. Of course, aztec would work perfectly, though at this point we probably got the idea for a space theme set up...
Thanks for the advice Zaneebaslave. Are you gonna try and fix up some unused enemies in the series so they work in this fan game like the robo-kritters and Mr. X?
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 26

Postby Rux Ton » September 10th, 2014, 8:03 am

That's an interesting direction to take on. Especially since 3 started becoming pretty... futuristic.

I'd love to see some more industrial levels (IE factories etc)

EDIT: I just got to thinking if you guys used Zane's design on that enemy, it would be neat to have like.. a K. Rool submarine level (since in DKC64 I am pretty sure he had some submarine thing, it's been awhile :shakehead: haha) where he showed up, or that be the overall theme of the boss battle even. SO like.. windows to see the fish in the background. Agh I wish I were a graphics artist so I could show you better what I mean lol :dixiecry:
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 17

Postby spaceman2028 » September 10th, 2014, 9:02 am

Do you mean Knautilus? That stage could work perfectly with your idea!
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 26

Postby Rux Ton » September 10th, 2014, 9:23 am

Yes! I think that would fit perfectly with that enemy too! I like the idea of each "world" (whatever you want to call each category of where set stages are, i got so used to calling them worlds lol) having a unique enemy character thrown in that is increasingly more difficult than the regular baddies :)
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 17

Postby Phyreburnz » September 11th, 2014, 9:42 am

Rux Ton, I showed Hiperkalango your music and he liked it. He would love for you to make more music for the project if you would like to!
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby zaneebaslave » September 11th, 2014, 11:56 am

Well, my first attempt at animating the Kersplash was a failure. Still hope remains! I have altered my animation procedure entirely, and it seems to be working well. I'll try and animate a walking animation as soon as possible for you.
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 34

Postby Phyreburnz » September 11th, 2014, 12:14 pm

Would you mind showing us what happened if at all possible? I'm curious to see what you did and what could be done to fix it.

Even if you end up unable to animate it, you might just be able to make keyframes of it walking and end up putting it together in photoshop as a complete animation.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby zaneebaslave » September 12th, 2014, 12:04 am

It was not so much a technical issue, but me being inept at animation. My 3d software doesn't have any animation program, so I have to take a picture of each individual movement. That's not hard at all, though, especially since DKC sprites usually only have about seven frames. Whenever I was looking back on my animations, however, they were all very stiff and lifeless. So I restarted. I came up with an idea to somehow make a makeshift "onioning" thingy (which if you ever used an animation program, you probably know what I'm talking about). It's working great so far. I 'm almost done with the walking animation, so expect an update in a day or so.
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 34

Postby spaceman2028 » September 12th, 2014, 7:22 am

Ever wondered if the donkey kong land bosses should all be mini bosses alongside some of the easier bosses in the series like Wild Sting Fling, Belcha, the Gnawty bosses, the master neckys, klevers, krows, Arich, Barbos, and the other DKL bosses(excluding king k. rool, of course)? Only a suggestion of mine. You could even add mini-bosses from other games such as mario bros. or Earthworm Jim...
(by the way, if you do Wild Sting Fling use his GBC sprites to find his color, then give that to a flotsam and with some careful coding we have a mini-boss.)
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 26

Postby zaneebaslave » September 12th, 2014, 10:22 am

Well, I finally did it! The walk animation is complete!

Not bad for my first animation ever, I think. I can see a few things wrong with it, but I'm happy with the results! Lemme know how you all like it! If it's acceptable, I'll start work on the death animation(which will probably be easier because it doesn't loop).
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 34

Postby Phyreburnz » September 12th, 2014, 10:23 am

Wowzah! Very nice job! I think he looks perfect!
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Qyzbud » September 12th, 2014, 10:37 am

Yep, he looks fantastic! Amazing first effort. :D
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby spaceman2028 » September 12th, 2014, 11:36 am

To quote the SSBB announcer:
"WOW! INCREDIBLE!"
Obviously it looks like it may need improvements but man does it look great! With that kind of idea in mind, there should be no problem at all in getting Ka-Chunk to work properly and have good sprites.
Speaking of sprites, has anyone still considered to make SNES-style variations of the donkey kong land bosses(excluding the final one) so they can work as mini-bosses?
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 26

Postby Rux Ton » September 12th, 2014, 11:54 am

I love that animation! I only suggest maybe making him wobble a bit forward and back as he "stumbles"? But otherwise as is it looks incredible!

Woo! Now, I was wondering if what the idea was to use SNES style music or.. use real instruments (sampled etc). Like, the same sample quality as SNES or? I have a hard time ish with language barriers I cannot lie haha. I feel like i have a general understanding though. I heard some of the other music and i absolutely loved them!
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 17

Postby spaceman2028 » September 12th, 2014, 2:01 pm

If you need to make his animations better, try looking at his arms carefully so you can fix them. It almost seems as if they skip a bunch of frames.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 26

PreviousNext

Return to DKC Projects/Fanworks