Donkey Kong Country 4: The Kongs Return

Working on your own project related to the Donkey Kong Country series?
This forum is your place to discuss fangames, artwork, stories and so forth which are DKC relevant.

Re: Donkey Kong Country 4!!! begin ;)

Postby leo_core » March 10th, 2012, 6:01 am

Markster wrote:I got some questions about DKC4.
----------
1. Is there going to be animal buddy barrels?

In DKC2 and DKC3, you could jump into Animal Barrels, and transform into the animal and actually control them, instead of riding on them.
We do this in our game! All systems and elements of DKC series will be present in our project.

Markster wrote:2. Is there going to be a map screen on this game?

Sure!
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 72

Postby HellFire » March 10th, 2012, 7:43 am

I think the additional ability to swim is enough. In DKC1, every animal had a niche, each one had one specific use. In DKC2, 2 "overpowered" animals were added: squawks and squitter. If you do that much to winky he will be a better rattly, and maybe in the same league as squawks and squitter. I agree that an more horizontal jump as his charge would be OK for winky, but in my opinion things would be better if you kept an charge ability only to rattly. That would be the special thing that only rattly would have. Another plus of not giving winky's an charge jump is that it would keep him faithful to how he is in DKC: if in a level without water, he would behave the same as he already does. Yeah i understood that winky's jump would be different, but if winky's is left without a charge jump there will be another reason to use rattly. If winky had a charge jump, who would choose rattly instead of winky? I guess no one would do that. Unless the level had an inaccessible area that required rattly, but if you think about that, it wouldnt be anything special because squawks and squitter could do the same. I Mean, rattly will be insignificant if you do that... If every animal can do everything things start to be less interesting, in a game design view point. Just sharing my OPINION here... if you decides to give winky an charge jump it will not be bad, i just think that it will make rattly less interesting, because winky will be too good!
Tourist

Postby hiperkalango » March 10th, 2012, 8:01 am

our intention is to make a game like the original
with some new things
winky will not have the super jump.
more we can do something special in the water
Put all the animals in the game would be unheard
would cause the player to do new combinations
Ex: the kiddy Winky or Express
;)
Suggestions are welcome
One example is the Markster and Phyreburn
Helped us very far
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 88

Postby Tonberry2000 » March 10th, 2012, 8:04 am

It's all about balance. Rambi was changed between games and nobody complained. It could be something like;

Rambi-same as DKC 2.
Expresso- same as 1?
Winky - same as 1 but with new horizontal charge jump and the ability to swim but not attack while in water. Maybe he's faster than Enguarde, but more helpless?
Enguarde- same as DKC 2 /3?
Squawks - same as DKC 2 /3.
Squitter - same as DKC 2 /3, gets hurt when he touches water?
Rattly- he's essentially a replacement Winky in DKC 2, but vertical as opposed to horizontal. Maybe he can get a cool trick like Kiddy's skip on water or something?
Ellie - same as DKC 3.

I think that would be a decent balance if we can think of a secondary gimmick for Rattly.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 30

Postby Phyreburnz » March 10th, 2012, 8:28 am

With Winky, something should definitely be added. I always thought he should have been in the swamp theme levels in DKC2. For that, I was thinking he could tread the swamp water that would normally kill the Kongs. I really do love the super horizontal jump idea. I did make a new attack (which is somewhat lame, honestly :P) for Winky. I gave him a tongue, and I was thinking he could eat bug enemies.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Tonberry2000 » March 10th, 2012, 9:03 am

With a tongue attack Winky would just be Yoshi. :p
I don't think it's such a bad thing to innovate. Otherwise Winky and Rattly are the same buddy. Besides, Rambi and Squawks both changed between games depending on what was needed. Innovation isn't bad if it's a natural progression of the character.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 30

Postby Phyreburnz » March 10th, 2012, 9:36 am

Tonberry2000 wrote:With a tongue attack Winky would just be Yoshi. :p

Yeah, somebody said that after I made it. In all honesty, I didn't think of that while I was doing it. BUT, in all fairness, frogs using their tongs as projectiles to eat bugs existed long before Yoshi! :D
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby hiperkalango » March 10th, 2012, 3:09 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpHvCh0Mhzo

not for those who could stand up out of curiosity ...
Here's three animal buddies
Rambi, Winky and Expresso
I hope you enjoyed
the end of all the buddies make some adjustments
Grab your popcorn and enjoy yourself
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 88

Postby Phyreburnz » March 10th, 2012, 3:25 pm

Getting to see your progress videos is better than eating candy!

I think somebody made a no Expresso and no Winky sign. I think the pictures are in the custom/edited sprite section of the forum. I'm not sure if those are the signs you used or not.

I'm really excited about your progress! It's so fun to watch the videos!
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Tonberry2000 » March 10th, 2012, 5:46 pm

The mechanics seem great, but yeah, the signs could use some touching up. They also need to match the crates.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 30

Postby hiperkalango » March 12th, 2012, 1:40 am

LET'S WORK
Rattly.png
Rattly.png (60.01 KiB) Viewed 282249 times

This will take a little
I'm doing the maximum to be equal
^ ^
;)
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 88

Postby Markster » March 12th, 2012, 2:05 am

Awesome updates!
I can't wait for the final.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 37

Postby Phyreburnz » March 12th, 2012, 3:09 am

Donkey's rope animation works for riding on Rattly. His feet fit perfectly with Rattly's body. I'm not sure if you are able to program that, or not. I did the animation a while back. If you want, I can work on editing Kiddy's rope animation so he can ride Rattly, as well.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby VideoViking » March 12th, 2012, 4:26 am

In the original DKC1, when shot out of a cannon, Expresso's legs are spread out. The jump frames are used.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 41

Postby hiperkalango » March 12th, 2012, 6:21 am

Phyreburnz wrote:Donkey's rope animation works for riding on Rattly. His feet fit perfectly with Rattly's body. I'm not sure if you are able to program that, or not. I did the animation a while back. If you want, I can work on editing Kiddy's rope animation so he can ride Rattly, as well.

can do this for me?
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 88

Postby hiperkalango » March 13th, 2012, 7:30 am

I need the opinion of you.
Kiddy.png
Kiddy.png (90.23 KiB) Viewed 282205 times

This animation is cool?
post your opinions
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 88

Postby Phyreburnz » March 13th, 2012, 8:15 am

That looks good to me. I was going to edit some for you, but that looks like it will work better.

Did you edit sprites for that, or did you just find one that worked? If you did just find it, what animation is it from?

Here is what I did:
kiddy on rattly.png
kiddy on rattly.png (12.83 KiB) Viewed 282200 times

I like yours better, I think.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Phyreburnz » March 16th, 2012, 12:35 pm

Looking good! Are you going to have all of the buddies?
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby VideoViking » March 16th, 2012, 12:39 pm

SO glad to see Donkey and Rattly.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 41

Postby Tonberry2000 » March 16th, 2012, 1:02 pm

Looking good! He still seems a bit buggy though. I'm assuming you're saving Ellie and Squitter for last. Is Squawks next, or Parry? ;)
Trailblazer
Bananas received 30

Postby hiperkalango » March 18th, 2012, 8:35 am

Squitter begin!!!!!!!
Let's Do This
;)
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 88

Postby leo_core » March 18th, 2012, 8:50 am

Tonberry2000 wrote:Looking good! He still seems a bit buggy though. I'm assuming you're saving Ellie and Squitter for last. Is Squawks next, or Parry? ;)

Yes, there are still corrections to be made.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 72

Postby Tonberry2000 » March 18th, 2012, 9:21 am

Good luck with Squitter! He seems like he'll be the hardest!
Trailblazer
Bananas received 30

Postby Tonberry2000 » March 22nd, 2012, 7:59 am

I was thinking it might be cool to have something like Super Mario World's top secret area where you can pick an animal buddy to bring into a stage you've beaten already. Maybe it's a zoo or something and you have to find or complete things in certain levels to "unlock" them? That way you can go through a stage once and get some bonuses and items, then when you unlock Squawks , for example, and return, more of the stage becomes available. Just a thought.
another cool item could be a "blind" DK barrel. The one in the game demo right now has a cycle so you can choose who you're getting. One without the cycle could randomize the level a bit for the player so they're not constantly holding out for Dixie. :p
Trailblazer
Bananas received 30

Postby leo_core » March 24th, 2012, 1:23 pm

Tonberry2000 wrote:I was thinking it might be cool to have something like Super Mario World's top secret area where you can pick an animal buddy to bring into a stage you've beaten already. Maybe it's a zoo or something and you have to find or complete things in certain levels to "unlock" them? That way you can go through a stage once and get some bonuses and items, then when you unlock Squawks , for example, and return, more of the stage becomes available. Just a thought.

This idea may be interesting to "deepen" more levels of the game ... but it is too early to think about it, but the idea is interesting.

Tonberry2000 wrote:another cool item could be a "blind" DK barrel. The one in the game demo right now has a cycle so you can choose who you're getting. One without the cycle could randomize the level a bit for the player so they're not constantly holding out for Dixie. :p

This idea is really interesting and I had thought of doing. Let's wait for the engine to be more "mature" in order to apply these things, but new ideas are welcome in any case, thanks for the cooperation!
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 72

Postby Tonberry2000 » March 24th, 2012, 1:38 pm

Glad you like them. :)
I'll pm you a few other ideas I had when I get home from work. :)
Trailblazer
Bananas received 30

Postby Lucid_Rain » March 24th, 2012, 8:39 pm

Okay while I take a minute after watching all those videos to breathe... 'm going to say... wow

Reflective water.
The water in the rattle battle level done perfectly (with different parts of it and the clouds scrolling independently)

Most of the sound affects from the game? How did you do it :/

Uhm. Alot of the game mechanics are almost emulated 100% .
Amazing. :/

Did you use code for most of this or functions of objects in the game? I've never used or seen MMF2 before.

I'm curious on how you did all this!! I want to learn. :P

The engine i'm working on doesn't come close to this, so far.
Tourist

Postby Simion32 » March 25th, 2012, 12:37 pm

The game mechanics are nearly 100%, but I know by the last demo that it's definitely not 100% accurate. It'll take some serious tweaking to get that right.

Music is done with something capable of playing SPC dumps (which are the raw SNES music processor state encased in a file format).

Oh, the DKC2 water effect is super easy to do in C++, I've already coded it at least 2 times now. Likely somebody made an MMF2 extension to do that effect.

:idea: leo_core, how about a screen shot of the development window? It would help provide some perspective here.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby leo_core » March 26th, 2012, 5:39 am

Tonberry2000 wrote:Glad you like them. :)
I'll pm you a few other ideas I had when I get home from work. :)

I got your PM, I'm glad you're with that enthusiasm!
I will calmly analyze their suggestions and answer later, ok? Thank you for such collaboration more!

Lucid_Rain wrote:Okay while I take a minute after watching all those videos to breathe... 'm going to say... wow
Reflective water.
The water in the rattle battle level done perfectly (with different parts of it and the clouds scrolling independently)
Most of the sound affects from the game? How did you do it :/

Thanks for enjoying our little work!
"Most of the sound affects from the game?" Sorry, did not understand what you meant by that. There are collision events that trigger the audio samples, simultaneously.
Lucid_Rain wrote:Uhm. Alot of the game mechanics are almost emulated 100% .
Amazing. :/
Did you use code for most of this or functions of objects in the game? I've never used or seen MMF2 before.

Well, there are parts in codes and functions (Sin, Cos, etc.) and share-based events.
Lucid_Rain wrote:I'm curious on how you did all this!! I want to learn. :P
The engine i'm working on doesn't come close to this, so far.

What engine are you using in your project? Do you have something to show?

Hey Simion32, I prepare to post here some prints of development window, right? I'll take to show a bit of physics and some 3D environments that have studied to add in the project. In a little while.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 72

Postby Tonberry2000 » March 26th, 2012, 6:18 am

Sounds good. :D
Can't wait to hear your response. Let me know if you need anything clarified. :)
Trailblazer
Bananas received 30

Postby leo_core » March 26th, 2012, 7:07 am

Simion32 wrote:The game mechanics are nearly 100%, but I know by the last demo that it's definitely not 100% accurate. It'll take some serious tweaking to get that right.

Currently the engine movement is closer to the original, we are working hard at it.
Simion32 wrote:Music is done with something capable of playing SPC dumps (which are the raw SNES music processor state encased in a file format).

Yes, there is an extension to the MMF2 that does this, is the Spc Player Object.
Simion32 wrote:Oh, the DKC2 water effect is super easy to do in C++, I've already coded it at least 2 times now. Likely somebody made an MMF2 extension to do that effect.

You are correct, there is an extension called Parallaxer that makes this possible effect, among other!
Simion32 wrote::idea: leo_core, how about a screen shot of the development window? It would help provide some perspective here.

Here it is:
Frame Editor
Event Editor(grouped events)
Event Editor (a one group of the open)
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 72

Postby leo_core » March 26th, 2012, 7:19 am

Well, maybe someone is wondering:
"Okay, but where's the progress?"

We are working hard, at the moment HiperKalango is responsible for buddies (and has done a great job as anybody has seen!)
I have studied physical systems to add the engine. I have a small project I'm working and studying to apply the same physical into DKC4 project:
Who wants to try here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GMna1OkuA8
Demo download: http://www.4shared.com/rar/_H5GZxjQ/Jog ... fix01.html

I have also studied systems to add textured 3D mesh to create some custom levels (perhaps even the maps), but it is too early to show it.
Anyway, we're working hard but we have not shown much, but soon we are awaiting more news ;)
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 72

Postby Markster » March 26th, 2012, 11:48 am

That looks like a pretty unique game, i'm gonna try it.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 37

Postby leo_core » March 30th, 2012, 5:57 am

Thanks!

game box front (maybe)
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 72

Postby leo_core » April 1st, 2012, 8:32 am

Unfortunately the Hard Drive of Hiperkalango's computer has burned and he lost everything (the memory has burned also). At least the engine got me here. So the delay in showing further progress.

I have studied some systems (Phizics and 3DMesh) for the engine, I want to implement a more realistic physics for some objects and try to implement a 3D map (World Map) and some stage's with customized 3D scene. I do not know if Hiperkalango will return to the project, then I will continue up with Animals Buddies based on what he did (not want to have the project stopped).

Expect news soon!
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 72

Postby Super_Meat_Boy » April 1st, 2012, 9:04 am

Aww :(
Ok good luck man, can't wait to try it.
Tourist
Bananas received 5

Postby VideoViking » April 1st, 2012, 9:43 am

What things were you able to save before the unfortunate death of Kalango's hard drive?

There's one program that could help save your files. It's called GetDataBack. I've had situations where Windows XP refused to pick up my HD. GetDataBack could be your last hope.

A warning: this is a shareware program. The free version will be able to determine if your hard drive is salvageable, but in order for you to save your files, you will need to pay for the full version. Also, check to see which file system you used to format your hard drive. If it's FAT32, go for the regular edition. If it's NTFS, you will need the NTFS edition of GetDataBack.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 41

Postby leo_core » April 1st, 2012, 12:10 pm

I appreciate the concern, it was something really unfortunate for Hiperkalango.
It had been just over a week since I had not seen. Today he came with the phone on msn and I could talk to him.

But I have here with me the entire project with the last update he had done to Squitter (which is ongoing). I have on my pc, on my notebook and my pen drive, always have the updated project in these three places. So nothing is lost of the project.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 72

Postby Super Luigi! » April 1st, 2012, 12:50 pm

Well, that certainly is good news, eh? I've been in Kalango's shoes before, so I know how it feels. However, all is not lost since, as you stated, the project is on your computer. Kalango's computer is avenged!
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 301

Postby leo_core » April 1st, 2012, 1:04 pm

Super Luigi! wrote:Well, that certainly is good news, eh? I've been in Kalango's shoes before, so I know how it feels. However, all is not lost since, as you stated, the project is on your computer. Kalango's computer is avenged!

"Kalango's computer is avenged!"
ROFLMAO
Even in the face of what happened with the computer Hiper Kalango I could not help but laugh about what you wrote! That was really hilarious!!

Okay, I'll work hard today and tomorrow and within three days I will be ready to show Squitter! Hiperkalango's left a good basis for other animals will not be too hard to get!
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 72

Postby Tonberry2000 » April 2nd, 2012, 3:23 am

Poor guy. I hope he's able to save his stuff. :/
Trailblazer
Bananas received 30

Postby leo_core » April 3rd, 2012, 2:51 pm

Tonberry2000 wrote:Poor guy. I hope he's able to save his stuff. :/

Once I get in touch with him again, I ask if he could recover some of the damaged Hard Disk.

Continuing the work of Hiperkalango's with the Buddies, Squitter the spider is ready (there are still minor adjustments)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vCbnFrpVQ8
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 72

Postby Phyreburnz » April 3rd, 2012, 3:44 pm

I was wondering if you'd mind if I tried to edit a cover for your game. I was maybe going to see if I could somehow photoshop Dixie on DK's shoulders or Diddy on Kiddy's... maybe both. Of course, you don't have to use it if you don't want to! :P
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Tonberry2000 » April 3rd, 2012, 4:37 pm

Squitter is looking great! If I can tell from the video, the minor adjustments seem to be his idle speed, and the "wobble" in the web platforms. Fantastic job, guys!
Trailblazer
Bananas received 30

Postby leo_core » April 4th, 2012, 2:20 am

Phyreburnz wrote:I was wondering if you'd mind if I tried to edit a cover for your game. I was maybe going to see if I could somehow photoshop Dixie on DK's shoulders or Diddy on Kiddy's... maybe both. Of course, you don't have to use it if you don't want to! :P

Please do this we will use for sure!

Tonberry2000 wrote:Squitter is looking great! If I can tell from the video, the minor adjustments seem to be his idle speed, and the "wobble" in the web platforms. Fantastic job, guys!

Thank you. Yes, some adjustments still missing. I'm working on it.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 72

Postby leo_core » April 4th, 2012, 6:28 am

hey Phyreburnz, you have this animation in PSD? I would use this animation in our project? The next will be the Squawks buddy and I need to make custom Squawks holding DK.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 72

Postby Tonberry2000 » April 4th, 2012, 5:07 pm

It seems too long. I think his vine-grabbing frames should be edited.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 30

PreviousNext

Return to DKC Projects/Fanworks