Donkey Kong Country 4: The Kongs Return

Working on your own project related to the Donkey Kong Country series?
This forum is your place to discuss fangames, artwork, stories and so forth which are DKC relevant.

Re: Donkey Kong Country 4: The Kongs Return

Postby leo_core » October 23rd, 2012, 4:41 am

heloo!

I did the beta test for build 4 that Necro Toad compiled.
Well, In total for this build, I indicated 20 corrections to be made​​, he corrects these 20, there will be no more to fix and it will continue to mount for the demo levels.

Tomorrow I will make a video explaining the rules for teaming up to kongs "heavy" (DK and Kiddy) and kongs "light" (Dixie and Diddy), explain what the implications are and show a new skill for DK.

English doubt :
Spoiler!
Have things that confuse me in English, the word "light" if it is a noun, means LIGHT (brightness).
But if it is an adjective, means LIGHT (weight).

How to tell the difference, depends on the context in a sentence?

I will not mind if someone thinks "Stop saying nonsense and go do an English course!" lmao
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 72

Postby leo_core » October 23rd, 2012, 4:53 am

Simion32 wrote:leo_core or Hiperkalango: Have you checked my physics-related posts around the forum? It would help minimize the "floaty" effect.
*plugs in the obligatory physics copy and paste from the GameMaker forum*
Spoiler!
First of all, I should clue you in on the precision level: all of the "decimal" values in the DKC's are not really decimal (decimal as in 100 cents equals one dollar), they are actually fixed-point values that range from -128 to +127... but the decimal parts are in 256ths, not 100ths. So this means every value used should be a multiple of 1/256 or 0.00390625. The reason for this is obviously that DKC is using hexadecimal values, not normal decimal ones.

Here are a few floating-point values for Donkey Kong at 60FPS game play:
-Initial Y Speed is +3.0 (downward) and is reset to this value upon DK hitting solid ground.
-When you first press the B Button to jump, DK's Y Speed is set to -7.0.
-Gravity is +0.4375 per frame at ALL TIMES when the B Button is NOT pressed.
-Gravity is +0.28125 per frame at ALL TIMES when the B Button IS being pressed.

I will discuss this question with Necro Toad and Hiperkalango, then put the conclusion that we ok? Thanks!
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 72

Postby hiperkalango » October 23rd, 2012, 7:45 am

Phyreburnz wrote:I have a question for Hiperkalango, how did you get the DKC2 mine background (not the crystals in the background, in front of that) to work like that? It's kind of a weird question, but I was working on editing the mine background so it could be used in a side-scrolling level and not just a vertical-scrolling level, and I was having a heck of a time because of all the platforms. Could you upload your repeating background?

Phyre
I just edited it and I took a piece
If you pay close attention, it was a little strange
But I say to you. okay
;)
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 88

Postby hiperkalango » October 23rd, 2012, 7:51 am

you who encourage me, makes me even more excited to continue this project

:swanky: :swanky:
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 88

Postby Phyreburnz » October 23rd, 2012, 1:12 pm

Oh, I was just looking through some of the videos, and I was wondering what Kiddy did after you threw him (from teaming up). All of the other Kongs look hurt when you throw them, but not Kiddy. At least that was what you had in the other videos; I didn't know if you changed it at all. I can't remember what he does in the actual game after being thrown, but it seems inconsistent that he just sits there looking around while all the other Kongs look hurt.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Tonberry2000 » October 23rd, 2012, 5:05 pm

leo_core wrote:English doubt :
Spoiler!
Have things that confuse me in English, the word "light" if it is a noun, means LIGHT (brightness).
But if it is an adjective, means LIGHT (weight).

How to tell the difference, depends on the context in a sentence?

I will not mind if someone thinks "Stop saying nonsense and go do an English course!" lmao

Yeah, the word "light" is one of many that acts like that. You've got it though. If it's the opposite of dark, it's light, but if it's the opposite of heavy, it's also light. If it's a lamp that floats, it is a light light. ;)
Trailblazer
Bananas received 30

Postby Simion32 » October 24th, 2012, 9:48 am

English is a garbled freaking mess. Really. You have to be extremely specific all the time to prevent weird misunderstandings... :rant:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Phyreburnz » October 24th, 2012, 1:28 pm

English is supposed to be the hardest language to learn... it really is a garbled freaking mess, as Simion puts it. "Their," "they're," and "there" all sound the same but mean different things, plurals are weird, too.

In regards to attempting to rip tiles... I have no clue what I'm doing... I think I'll stick to cutting and pasting the images of the levels from TSR when making other levels...
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby leo_core » October 25th, 2012, 3:59 am

Phyreburnz wrote:Oh, I was just looking through some of the videos, and I was wondering what Kiddy did after you threw him (from teaming up). All of the other Kongs look hurt when you throw them, but not Kiddy. At least that was what you had in the other videos; I didn't know if you changed it at all. I can't remember what he does in the actual game after being thrown, but it seems inconsistent that he just sits there looking around while all the other Kongs look hurt.

In DKC3, Kiddy just fell down and looking around. We keep it in our project, unless you use your skills with sprites and want to create an animation for it ;)

Tonberry2000 wrote:Yeah, the word "light" is one of many that acts like that. You've got it though. If it's the opposite of dark, it's light, but if it's the opposite of heavy, it's also light. If it's a lamp that floats, it is a light light. ;)

Ok! Thank's!

Simion32 wrote:English is a garbled freaking mess. Really. You have to be extremely specific all the time to prevent weird misunderstandings... :rant:

Phyreburnz wrote:English is supposed to be the hardest language to learn... it really is a garbled freaking mess, as Simion puts it. "Their," "they're," and "there" all sound the same but mean different things, plurals are weird, too.

I think the English a language more "streamlined" than the Portuguese. The number of verbs in Portuguese is absurd!
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 72

Postby Tonberry2000 » October 25th, 2012, 4:09 am

I like that Kiddy sits around. It makes him look more like a dopey impervious character. It's funny. :P
Trailblazer
Bananas received 30

Postby leo_core » October 25th, 2012, 5:35 am

This video explains the relationship between heavy and light kongs, what are the implications. So nobody will get confused when playing with Diddy and try to throw the Kiddy to go to him destination, for example.

We are deciding on a new skill for Diddy since all kongs he is the only one who has not have special ability, but it is the fastest of the kongs.
The Kiddy bounces on water, Dixie float and Donkey Kong hits the ground with hands. If we decide to add this ability to Diddy, we soon show.

Probably the texts in English are mistakes, I hope you understand.

Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 72

Postby Markster » October 25th, 2012, 1:16 pm

Great job so far, just seeing the screenshots you posted on your website makes me want to use a time machine and play the game right now. :thumbs:
I love the map screens, design, levels, etc., I think you will get thousands of downloads for this, I'm going to make a YT gameplay video on it when it comes out.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 37

Postby Tonberry2000 » October 25th, 2012, 4:42 pm

Aside from making him the speediest, I'm not really sure what else would work...
That reminds me though, did you give any though to a "Super"jump for Winky that would go over long horizontal gaps?
Trailblazer
Bananas received 30

Postby djsubtronic » October 26th, 2012, 12:38 am

Markster wrote:makes me want to use a time machine and play the game right now. :thumbs:

An emulator will be easier :)
Trainee Trekker

Postby leo_core » October 26th, 2012, 5:25 am

Markster wrote:Great job so far, just seeing the screenshots you posted on your website makes me want to use a time machine and play the game right now. :thumbs:
I love the map screens, design, levels, etc., I think you will get thousands of downloads for this, I'm going to make a YT gameplay video on it when it comes out.

Thank you!

Tonberry2000 wrote:Aside from making him the speediest, I'm not really sure what else would work...
That reminds me though, did you give any though to a "Super"jump for Winky that would go over long horizontal gaps?

Yes, Winky have that skill!

Guys, we want to know your opinion about this new Diddy skill:
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 72

Postby Tonberry2000 » October 26th, 2012, 5:45 am

That's a great idea! To make it more unique, you should think about letting him to that with Dixie too. :P
And that's great about Winky. That should make him a little more useful. :)
Trailblazer
Bananas received 30

Postby leo_core » October 27th, 2012, 3:04 am

Tonberry2000 wrote:That's a great idea! To make it more unique, you should think about letting him to that with Dixie too. :P
And that's great about Winky. That should make him a little more useful. :)

Thanks ton, Your opinion is important for us to take a decision.
Anyone else want to give an opinion? We have created a poll on the blog about it, we will decide by majority.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 72

Postby slym » October 27th, 2012, 6:30 am

personaly i can deal with or without this new skill. i don't like it because it's new but i like it because it is new so i can't help you on it. But it is really a good idea and i can't wait for the demo its seems too amazing
Tourist

Postby Phyreburnz » October 27th, 2012, 10:49 am

Well, I've been trying to think of what Diddy could do that could be special... but I was having a hard time thinking of something... I was never really a fan of being able to ride a bigger Kong, but that's just me... I just never really saw a use for it since you can just roll over an enemy, and you can jump higher by teaming up...

BUT, I did think of something just now that might be a cool idea... What if you take what you have one step further and make Diddy able to ride the heavier Kongs over the surfaces of water, as well as being able to immediately being able to ride them?
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Tonberry2000 » October 27th, 2012, 12:21 pm

This makes me think that there should be at least one level where there is a time trial. Diddy would be the ideal choice.

What if while Diddy rides DK, hidden items are unearthed (As if you were using DK's ground slap) and with Kiddy, you can skip over water?
Trailblazer
Bananas received 30

Postby Phyreburnz » October 29th, 2012, 12:38 pm

Do you have any idea when you guys are going to release a demo? I can't wait to play it.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby leo_core » October 30th, 2012, 3:45 am

slym wrote:personaly i can deal with or without this new skill. i don't like it because it's new but i like it because it is new so i can't help you on it. But it is really a good idea and i can't wait for the demo its seems too amazing

Thank you for your opinion!

Phyreburnz wrote:What if you take what you have one step further and make Diddy able to ride the heavier Kongs over the surfaces of water, as well as being able to immediately being able to ride them?

It's an interesting idea ... I will discuss this with Necro Toad and Hiperkalango.

Tonberry2000 wrote:This makes me think that there should be at least one level where there is a time trial. Diddy would be the ideal choice.

Sure! We have plans to do stages with timer, is very interesting!

Tonberry2000 wrote:What if while Diddy rides DK, hidden items are unearthed (As if you were using DK's ground slap) and with Kiddy, you can skip over water?

It is an alternative... I will discuss this.

Phyreburnz wrote:Do you have any idea when you guys are going to release a demo? I can't wait to play it.

We are doing our best to release a demo with minimal errors, hence the delay. I can not give a prediction, but we are very close to release (I would not say in less than two weeks).

The votes for this ability to Diddy are well balanced, shortly announce what has been decided, thanks to everyone for the opinions!
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 72

Postby leo_core » November 8th, 2012, 5:43 am

Guys!

The Necro Toad been traveling these days and I'm working very, but now we return to the project and show you more news soon.
I know that this demo is taking much longer than we wanted to get done, we apologize for getting generating much anticipation.
We are working hard to release a demo for you guys be satisfied!

Hey djsubtronic, You're making great progress with your project, I'm enjoying seeing! ;)
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 72

Postby djsubtronic » November 9th, 2012, 10:58 am

Thanks! Looking forward to your demo ;)
Trainee Trekker

Postby Tonberry2000 » November 10th, 2012, 4:03 pm

I just thought of a fun object; Tire Swing. It's a tire attached to a vine that swings back and forth. If it hits the Kongs or enemies, they are bounced away in the opposite direction. The Tire Swing could swing back and forth over pits or near spikes.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 30

Postby Phyreburnz » November 12th, 2012, 7:32 am

I like the idea of a tire swing! I could see if I could edit such a thing...

I also came up with a thought that you could maybe use for the cloud-based levels. I'd have to see if I could come up with sprites that would work for it, but I thought it would be neat if the clouds would puff up a little when the Kongs jump on them, and when you run... a little hard to explain what I see in my head, but maybe I can come up with something of substance I can show you.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Simion32 » November 12th, 2012, 9:08 am

Phyre... something like this? (see at approximately 1 minute in):

Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Phyreburnz » November 13th, 2012, 2:55 pm

Yeah, something like that. I did a test of jumping with Dixie. I think I might have to make it more noticeable.

jump-puff-test.gif
jump-puff-test.gif (31.92 KiB) Viewed 95239 times

But something like that, more or less... for jumping at least. I'd like to mess around with making the clouds move when the character walks, too.

Make sure you guys let me know what you think and if there's anything else that you think can be improved upon. It's been a good while... and I'm a *little* rusty.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby djsubtronic » November 14th, 2012, 4:48 am

PhyreBurnz, that animation is great. I think it can be adapted for not just cloud levels, but general dust in outdoor levels if it were slightly brown in colour. Do you think you could create one in a brownish colour, and an animation of just the dust? If you don't mind, I would love to incorporate that in my game.
Trainee Trekker

Postby Phyreburnz » November 14th, 2012, 4:56 am

Of course! I'll put it in the custom DKC animations section. Do you use photoshop? I use PSDs for all of my stuff and I'm not sure how the transparency would translate to GIFs, but I'll see.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby leo_core » November 14th, 2012, 5:00 am

Tonberry2000 wrote:I just thought of a fun object; Tire Swing. It's a tire attached to a vine that swings back and forth. If it hits the Kongs or enemies, they are bounced away in the opposite direction. The Tire Swing could swing back and forth over pits or near spikes.

It's a very interesting idea ton, I will discuss this with Necro and the Hiperkalango.

Phyreburnz wrote:Yeah, something like that. I did a test of jumping with Dixie. I think I might have to make it more noticeable.

jump-puff-test.gif

But something like that, more or less... for jumping at least. I'd like to mess around with making the clouds move when the character walks, too.

Make sure you guys let me know what you think and if there's anything else that you think can be improved upon. It's been a good while... and I'm a *little* rusty.

haha, very cool Phyre! The idea of a movement of scenery with clouds like in the video posted of Simion is interesting, that creates an interactive visual scenario. I will study it to this level. You could post these sprites of "puff effect" (may be in psd).
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 72

Postby leo_core » November 14th, 2012, 5:07 am

ops, posting all together... can put the link here Phyre? thanks!
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 72

Postby LILredWagon » November 14th, 2012, 12:17 pm

I just got done playing through the demo. I have to say I'm really impressed overall with the demo so far. There a some small adjustments I noticed that could be done to the gameplay:

1) the kongs seem to be a but slippy. They don slow down fast enough after they've been running. It makes it feel a bit loose and in the originals the game is really tight.

2) the kongs seem like they stick a bit in the water. The change from water to above water needs to be sped up

3) the overall balance of sprites and kongs looks a tad bit out of proportion. Nothing too major just seemed slightly off.

It's really fantastic you guys are doing this. I hope you continue to work on it because I think fans deserve a true 4th game and only 1 game with DK? That seemed strange.

If you guys are open to suggestions for levels/ideas and what not I think I have some good input. I think a vertical level(like those seen in DKC 3 with waterfalls, would be great to have multiple archetypes such as a cave bottom, temple middle and clouds/jungle up top.)

Edit: I haven't played the public beta(the newest release). I guess I was just playing 0.7 so I'll have to check again to see how it's changed.

Edit 2: I think what gives a bit of the perceived floaty-ness is that the screen follows the characters too closely. In the Originals it only follows them in tighter spaces and when it's zoomed in more. DIxie also floats for about a half second more in the air when you use her spin. Kiddy's spin covers too much ground, his roll is much more confined, Donkey Kong also falls about .5 seconds faster than in DKC. Diddy seems to have about the same amount of hangtime, but in DKC he gets a tad bit higher and his sprite does his jump animation slightly different. It looks more forced, rather than fluid like in the demo. I think you'd have to see them side by side to notice though.
Newcomer

Postby leo_core » November 15th, 2012, 6:41 am

Wow, Thank you for this analysis!
The current engine (see the latest videos) is already quite different these two public betas, we are striving to get as close as possible to the original. Stay tunned ;)
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 72

Postby LILredWagon » November 16th, 2012, 2:52 am

Another idea that I don't think would be terribly hard to implement; I think it'd be really cool to have a level or series of levels where you can only use 1 of the kongs at a time. For example, It's a 4 part stage, 4 different themes each suiting the kong whether it would be harder for that specific kong or made for that kong. LIke part 1 is a temple themed level, you control Donkey Kong, and once you get the final part of the stage and go through the end you get to the 2nd part and control a different kong for that next area. Kind of like Animal Antics in DKC 2, but you use the different kongs for it instead.
Newcomer

Postby Phyreburnz » November 16th, 2012, 5:06 am

That's an interesting idea, but the only two Kongs I can see that working for would be Dixie (because of her ability to float) and Kiddy (because of his water bouncing ability). I can't see it working for Diddy or DK... DK maybe if it's just full of big enemies that only he or Kiddy could kill... or full of buried banana bunches that he can hand-slap out of the ground, but he pretty much seems interchangeable with Kiddy. And Diddy doesn't really have a special ability, other than him being the fastest, but I don't see how a level could cater to that and make it so only Diddy could complete it.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby LILredWagon » November 16th, 2012, 11:30 am

Phyreburnz wrote:That's an interesting idea, but the only two Kongs I can see that working for would be Dixie (because of her ability to float) and Kiddy (because of his water bouncing ability). I can't see it working for Diddy or DK... DK maybe if it's just full of big enemies that only he or Kiddy could kill... or full of buried banana bunches that he can hand-slap out of the ground, but he pretty much seems interchangeable with Kiddy. And Diddy doesn't really have a special ability, other than him being the fastest, but I don't see how a level could cater to that and make it so only Diddy could complete it.

That' true. I knew that each of them wouldn't necessarily have stages that couldn't be completed by other Kongs, but it'd still add an interesting element to the game in my opinion. Plus trying to complete each one of the individual stages/areas with 1 kong would be a challenge in it's own right. That's just my 2 cents.
Newcomer

Postby Qyzbud » November 17th, 2012, 2:31 pm

LILredWagon wrote:I think it'd be really cool to have a level or series of levels where you can only use 1 of the kongs at a time

Phyreburnz wrote:[...] the only two Kongs I can see that working for would be Dixie (because of her ability to float) and Kiddy (because of his water bouncing ability)

Having given this a bit of thought, I'd say there is a lot of potential for using each Kong's unique attributes.

A few examples:
DK's hand slap move could be used to attack a Klaptrap (for example) stationed at the entrance of a crawling area — no other Kong can defeat a Klaptrap without a jump attack, or use of a barrel, etc.
Diddy has the quickest movement and a smaller hit-box size than most (all?) Kongs, which makes him a tough target... plus he can jump onto slightly higher platforms than DK, and (I believe) the other Kongs.
Dixie obviously has a great advantage being able to glide long distances and descend slowly.
Kiddy gets great height over the water's surface using his water bounce move (which also helps him avoid any nasties below), and is also the quickest of all Kongs whilst holding a barrel — which translates to him being able to jump the furthest with a barrel, too! This could certainly be an advantage. I think he might be quicker than the other Kongs on horizontal (and maybe vertical?) ropes, too.

The way Kongs hold barrels (in front/overhead) could be a factor here, too.

I'm sure there are plenty of other unique advantages of each Kong — this is just off the top of my head. 8-)
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby LILredWagon » November 17th, 2012, 5:48 pm

Qyzbud wrote:*removed*

See that'd be prime if that could happen. And it the stage wouldn't even necessarily have to be impossible with each of the other kongs, just orientated for specific kongs. You could have the level be like Animal antics where you it's split up into multiple parts, when you leave one area and enter another you change kongs, or another option would be where you jump into a barrel and turn into the other kong. And to make it even more interesting you could have multiple barrels and choosing the right one makes the next area that much easier, So many possibilities...
Newcomer

Postby hiperkalango » November 18th, 2012, 9:27 am

friends
Sorry for not news in the last days
There's been setbacks in our team and we are doing everything possible to continue the project.
rest assured that this project will continue for sure
I thank all who contributed to the project
We will make an epic Game
can wait ^ ^ :thumbs:
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 88

Postby Tonberry2000 » November 18th, 2012, 3:20 pm

A level where weight is involved wold be fun, too. Either by using DK/Kiddy to hold something down, or using Diddy/Dixie so something doesn't fall.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 30

Postby Simion32 » November 18th, 2012, 5:20 pm

You have a workable demo. Just release it already. It doesn't have to be 100% done. :rant:

</ranting>
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby leo_core » November 19th, 2012, 11:13 am

Soon Simion ... soon ;)

After two weeks without posting anything we're back. The Necro Toad was absent but now is back!
We have yet to post a video (actually I am posting here a bit rushed ace) but within a few days I will do a video showing a little Scarlet "Crystal Crossing" ok?
Hiperkalango is working with engine Roller Coaster, tb will soon post a video showing some of that engine.

Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 72

Postby slym » November 26th, 2012, 2:49 pm

7 days later ... the earth still waiting for this video :rant:
maybe they became zombie during this week? :scratch:

well i'm just kidding but i would like to know what you met by we will SOOON post a video

stop torture us please :kiddysad:
Tourist

Postby leo_core » November 27th, 2012, 11:07 am

We made a decision. Instead of making the video, we are working on a playable "preview" of the demo with one level, "Jagged Jungle."

We know that we take really long time to release the demo. Believe me, we want to launch as soon as possible but there have been some setbacks in our personal lives that prevents us from dedicating more time to the project, but we are working as we can.

I can not say when it will be, but this playable "preview" is ready, we are just doing some fixes and beta testing.
The moment of truth arrived! You guys will experience the engine in your state nearly finished, just wait a few days ;)
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 72

Postby leo_core » November 27th, 2012, 9:28 pm

I'll paste the blog post here:

"After a long time without any information, I came here to announce the official date of the Demo Release. It's going to be in 15/december/2012. Now you can enjoy your holyday playing DKC4!
As we failed in the recent dates, and kept you waiting, we decided to give a gift to you.
tcham, tcham, tcham, tcham...
Well, the gift is a preview of the Demo! We are providing for you, right now, the first level of the game! (Download link on the bottom of this post)
So those who can't wait for play can enjoy the first level right now. Who wants to wait for the ful demo, can check it in th full demo release, on 12/15/2012.

For now, the joystick option isn't working, but you can use GlovePie to make the buttons of your joystick emule the keyboard keys.

Thank you all, and please, post you feedbacks in the comments of this post. by the way, the game is not very optimized yet, we are going to fix it in the full demo release. For now, I suggest you play on a good computer.

See ya!"

DOWNLOAD
Edit:
Bugs unbelievable gone unnoticed! We are updating and will post again soon, sorry!

There are still many bugs... but hey, at least you guys will be able to experience. You guys can also use JoyToKey or X-Padder to play with a joystick.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 72

Postby Gaz » November 28th, 2012, 3:44 am

Thanks. I waited like five-six months for this moment ;) .
Gaz
Taster of Pork
Bananas received 47

Postby EvangeliKong » November 28th, 2012, 3:50 am

Yay! I can't wait for the 15th of December! :dixiehappy:
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 3

PreviousNext

Return to DKC Projects/Fanworks