Donkey Kong Country 4: The Kongs Return

Working on your own project related to the Donkey Kong Country series?
This forum is your place to discuss fangames, artwork, stories and so forth which are DKC relevant.

Re: Donkey Kong Country 4!!! begin ;)

Postby Tonberry2000 » September 26th, 2012, 4:02 am

"A delayed game is eventually good; a bad game is bad forever."
-Shigeru Miyamoto
Trailblazer
Bananas received 30

Postby Gaz » September 26th, 2012, 8:56 am

Leo's notebook HAD to crash?!?!? (http://dkc4.blogspot.com)
Gaz
Taster of Pork
Bananas received 47

Postby Markster » September 26th, 2012, 9:30 am

DKC4 is not gone leo_core, your laptop crashed, but don't format the HDD, put it in another computer that works, and if DKC4 is "deleted", use a undeleting software like Recuva. (I saved files from 2008 using Recuva)
----------
This is why I work on my projects completely off of my 4GB flash drive, I do make backups on my hard drive though.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 37

Postby Simion32 » September 26th, 2012, 10:14 am

Darn it. I was looking forward to seeing this too. :facepalm:

USE AN EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE FOR PETE'S SAKE
Flash is COMPLETELY UNRELIABLE for something like this!!! :rant:

It could randomly nuke your data at any time due to flash drives being somewhat unstable after a few months of heavy use (I copied DKC Database files to a PNY flash drive I had, and it was BRAND NEW, and after a few days it had overwritten some documents with 0xFF's... however, nothing was lost because I got the stuff off the drive quickly enough before it totally nuked it all).
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Markster » September 26th, 2012, 11:00 am

What kind of flash drive were you using? I have a flash drive and I write files to it everyday and it never nukes all my files, I've been putting huge amounts of data on my flash drive since June 2010 when it was new. (I use a Sandisk Cruzer and a Sandisk Cruzer Switch, both 4GB)
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 37

Postby Katastrophe Kong » September 26th, 2012, 11:41 am

I agree with Miyamoto. Good things come to those who wait- unless we're talking about life.

Plus, all this waiting is healthy. It's getting me through the week. I hope everything works out for you, Leo.

Computers; can't live with 'em, suffer the breakdown of society as we know it without 'em.

P.S. Nice new blog design :P
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 32

Postby leo_core » September 26th, 2012, 12:34 pm

Before anything I apologize to you guys, as promised two dates and I could not fulfill.

Well, we had a schedule, and that schedule I would have to deliver earlier today the bonus system ready for João Pedro (for him add to demo and we publish today, as scheduled).
After working on it all night yesterday, my laptop crashed and did not carry over the operating system. I could not retrieve the data in any way. I could only save what I had started in pendrive.

Well, I'm working again on bonus system to deliver it as soon as possible. I'm having some personal problems so I'm not able to work on the project with all the time I wanted. I can not indicate a new date for the demo, I can say that it will be ready within the next days.

I hope to have an understanding of you friends, I was very upset by these events.
I thank everyone for their comments and feel at not being able to say more, but I'm running with everything I can here so we can have the demo ready as soon as possible.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 72

Postby Phyreburnz » September 26th, 2012, 12:37 pm

I'm glad you didn't completely lose everything. I think this helps build antici...................pation! *In the words of Dr. Frank-n-furter from Rocky Horror Picture Show*

Just make sure you take your time and don't rush yourself!
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Simion32 » September 26th, 2012, 2:23 pm

Markster wrote:I have a flash drive and I write files to it everyday and it never nukes all my files

The problem was that it had become defective, possibly due to some physical element (which I could not determine). It had text files that gradually became blanked with 1 bits. Flash drives are not reliable and are not to be trusted in the storage of mission-critical data.

Imagine opening a text file and seeing this:
I wrote stuff herÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ
ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ
(...)
ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ
ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿnd of document.

For the sake of brevity I simply must repeat this.

USE. EXTERNAL. HARD. DRIVES.

And burn CDs/DVDs too.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Cosmicman » September 28th, 2012, 4:45 am

Leo the demo can wait, just take your time and get everything back on track with your life, we understand. :thumbs:
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 91

Postby slym » October 3rd, 2012, 3:02 am

5 days without any news :kiddysad: :( ... what happen now with the project? :scratch:
Tourist

Postby VideoViking » October 3rd, 2012, 4:17 am

The project is still ongoing. The delay, however, has been extended to about a week. Personal problems with Leo Core, and there seems to be another notebook casualty. At least that's what I'm getting with the Bing Translator.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 41

Postby leo_core » October 3rd, 2012, 4:31 am

Hello everybody!
Although we could not launch the demo because some things still need to finish (most of these things was that I lost with the problem with my notebook).

But, I can say that, the weather, if all goes well, we will release in a week. I know how annoying it is you wait for something without anyone saying anything, so I'm posting this prediction for release and because I have high regard for you guys.

The issue is that I'm going through some difficulties in my personal life and it's making me less time than I wanted to work on the project.
The João Pedro had a serious problem with his notebook this week and Hiperkalango is working hard in the company where he works.

So are three of us with less time to work on the project.

But that does not mean that nothing is happening, lack now little to do to have the demo ready. Thanks to all who follow us and who are waiting for this demo, we guarantee you guys, the demo is to be released and will be at the same level of quality as the originals Snes DKC.

We regret very frustrating some expectations regarding dates, but it will be worth it, ya see!
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 72

Postby slym » October 3rd, 2012, 8:47 am

cool i'm happy to learn that all is right ^^ thanks you for answer that fast
Tourist

Postby Phyreburnz » October 3rd, 2012, 1:09 pm

Take your time, Leo! I'm sure how ever long it takes, it will be worth it! Just let me know if there's anything I can do to help out your project! I'd love to contribute more, if you need me!
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby leo_core » October 6th, 2012, 12:28 pm

Thanks for being willing to help more Phyre, at the moment we are fully geared to release this demo but in future if we need custom sprites know we can count on your talent!

This week could go a long way with what we had lost and also broke up what was missing, the four types of bonus stages that are completed will the demo. They are:

Destroy them all!
Find The Coin
Grab 15 Bananas
Collect 30 Stars

Already with the appropriate counters and HUD's.

Well, just a few minor adjustments and I think I lack anything, just "mount" the demo and do the build. I will not make the mistake of specifying a date, it may be tomorrow or even within another week. Keep watching that, now, we're very close to releasing this demo!
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 72

Postby Gaz » October 7th, 2012, 3:35 am

I never doubted you leo ;).
Gaz
Taster of Pork
Bananas received 47

Postby Phyreburnz » October 7th, 2012, 1:41 pm

Hey, Leo, if you ever get the chance (I know you've got a very busy schedule), I was wondering if you could upload the tilesets (or whatever you used to make) the Kloud level. I have an idea that I want to try, and I'd like to make a custom DKL cloud level.

I'm looking through the DKC series sprites for inspiration for a new level to design, and I think I have one. I would like to make a cloud level that you play in an airplane! I want to use the Funky's Flight's plane (edit a few sprites to make it go up and down, and maybe shoot and drop bombs) and have it go through a cloudy level. I thought it could be an interesting twist for a DKC level.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby leo_core » October 8th, 2012, 11:27 am

Conker's Bad Fur Day wrote:I never doubted you leo ;).

thanks!

Phyre, there is. Can use for whatever you want.

I'm not so busy now that I finished all that Joao Pedro asked me this week, I'm now in the same situation as you guys, waiting for him to finish "mount" the demo and build.

Since yesterday I am continuing with my work at Tiny's Safari =)
Attachments
Kloud Sprites.rar
Kloud Sprites
(4.3 MiB) Downloaded 1083 times
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 72

Postby Markster » October 9th, 2012, 11:37 am

Great sprites leo_core, also, did you successfully get Donkey Kong Country 4 demo backed up from your HDD successfully?
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 37

Postby leo_core » October 10th, 2012, 11:39 am

Thanks Mark!
What I had missed was the bonus systems, that and nothing more.

But no matter, I have done everything that was lost and now I'm waiting for the Necro Toad (Joao Pedro) "mount" for the demo we make the beta test and launch, we are only depending on him. All I had to do I've done.

I hate when I try to write sentences in English that are not translated correctly, I hope you have understood. ¬¬
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 72

Postby leo_core » October 13th, 2012, 6:54 am

Some demo images:

Spoiler!

Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 72

Postby Phyreburnz » October 13th, 2012, 10:59 am

You're teasing me with your preview snippets!!! :lol: I really am excited for this demo!!!
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Super Luigi! » October 13th, 2012, 3:10 pm

My ratings:

1. Great.
2. Inventive.
3. Agree.

Your project's looking excellent, leo_core; keep it up!
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 301

Postby sakuraxangel31 » October 13th, 2012, 7:49 pm

Waaa it's so good to hear that the Demo is making progress can't wait for it to be released xD :dixiehappy:
Newcomer
Bananas received 1

Postby Katastrophe Kong » October 14th, 2012, 3:06 am

These pictures, they are like a strip-tease...

I can't wait for this demo :D
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 32

Postby Phyreburnz » October 14th, 2012, 12:34 pm

Hey leo, I hope you don't mind... but I made a game over screen with all the Kongs and I wondered if you'd like to use it:

Spoiler!
game over.png
game over.png (58.26 KiB) Viewed 100273 times

I also have a PSD of it, because I wasn't exactly sure of the screen size and all that stuff, if you'd like it.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby leo_core » October 15th, 2012, 4:16 am

Thanks all for comments!

Phyre, was this great game over screen! We already have three game over screens now, their, one that another fan did and that we did ourselves. I'm thinking of doing a random system for the game over screen, so we could enjoy all three.

Edit: Phyre, can you send me the psd file?

Well, while the demo is not ready yet, here's the soundtrack of it:

Spoiler!

Download *moderator: fixed link*
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 72

Postby Cody » October 15th, 2012, 7:15 am

I feel absolutely honored that you're using my Kiddy ending! If you need an updated version of a higher quality please let me know.

(also, I did not do DK's ending. Cosmicman deserves the credit there :) )
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 62

Postby Phyreburnz » October 15th, 2012, 1:24 pm

All of the characters have different layers, so you can move them around as you please.

game over.zip
(189.09 KiB) Downloaded 986 times
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby leo_core » October 16th, 2012, 10:55 am

Cody wrote:I feel absolutely honored that you're using my Kiddy ending! If you need an updated version of a higher quality please let me know.

(also, I did not do DK's ending. Cosmicman deserves the credit there :) )

Thanks very much for your cooperation! The animation is great with Kiddy drum solo. We will give credit to the Cosmicman for DK bass solo, thanks for the correction.

Phyreburnz wrote:All of the characters have different layers, so you can move them around as you please.

Thanks again Phyre, for this demo we shall use the Game Over screen we have today (we are totally focused on working on the necessary corrections to be released).

Well, I will talk a little about how things are going with the demo.
Yesterday Necro Toad finally sent me the beta of demo to beta test's. I have to say that is something absurdly spectacular! He created a shader that does the environment look like a sunset to Jagged Jungle level (the first level in the area 1), with cloud shadows moving across the floor, etc..

Controls are fully customizable and the map system is worthy of the original DKC Snes. I was quite surprised to see the level of quality that the project is coming.

But, I made a big list of fixes that need to be done and he is working on it. There is no prevision for the release of the demo, but within a few days I'll post a video showing some levels for you guys can see how everything is going.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 72

Postby djsubtronic » October 17th, 2012, 4:05 am

Good luck with the fixes, looking forward to a playable demo.
Trainee Trekker

Re: Donkey Kong Country 4: The Kongs Return

Postby Tonberry2000 » October 20th, 2012, 3:08 pm

Looking better with each update. The overworld map is really coming together. Nice work!
Trailblazer
Bananas received 30

Postby leo_core » October 21st, 2012, 6:41 am

To get you guys not only in expectation, made ​​this video for you guys can look at this as getting the demo.
Even in the video you can see some bugs being fixed, now go forward that also hurled kong partner will pick up items, it is not yet added ok?

Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 72

Postby Gaz » October 21st, 2012, 7:09 am

Gimmie... the demo... please... now, leo_core.
Gaz
Taster of Pork
Bananas received 47

Postby Simion32 » October 21st, 2012, 10:15 am

Come on. Seriously. This is 100% release-able quality for a demo. :swanky:

I would have already had like 3 demos by now if I was the one doing this stuff... :P
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Super Luigi! » October 21st, 2012, 1:37 pm

And that's saying something! Speaking of speaking, I have to speak. Why is that K at the end of the level target in the end of the video? You had already collected all 4 :k: :o: :n: :g: letters, so why was the K there? Also, why is it that when you throw a Kong, the one you're controlling does an airwalk? Besides these notices, your game looks fantastic. I really like how the jungle is set in an afternoon time.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 301

Postby Phyreburnz » October 21st, 2012, 2:27 pm

I can't wait for your demo! I noticed, however that when teaming up with Kiddy on top, his legs are above the other Kong's arms, when the other Kong's arms should be above his legs.

I was also wondering why you kept Kiddy turning around when he high-fives DK, instead of using the animations I did of him reaching back for the slap. I think him turning around is a little awkward looking, but maybe that's just me.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Tonberry2000 » October 21st, 2012, 3:21 pm

Leo, I know that English is not your first language, and while I can understand what the text in the game means, it's not quite perfect (Like the difference between "The Kongs Return" and "The Kongs Returns").
If you'd like, I could edit the script for you (Cranky's rants and stuff like that) so it sounds more natural in the game. Something to think about. :)
Trailblazer
Bananas received 30

Postby hiperkalango » October 22nd, 2012, 1:15 am

hey guys
I am facing difficulties in their personal life, most do not give up project
to show that I am still firm, put this video for you guys.
Still not finished more than to see what's to come
I hope you enjoy
Thanks to my team (Leo, Necro and Marvin)
And also all those q helps us in designing
Thank you

Last edited by Qyzbud on October 22nd, 2012, 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed embedded video
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 88

Postby Qyzbud » October 22nd, 2012, 2:13 am

We wish you all the best dealing with your difficulties; hopefully there's not too much pressure on you to produce this game and release the demo... remember that it should be fun and rewarding to build and play this, not stressful!

I enjoyed the video — it's great to have such a feeling of progress and adventure, encountering different terrain types and seeing various inside and outside scenery. Great work, all of you!

I must say, the mine cart jumping physics seems a little 'floaty', and that Slippa didn't bite you like he should have!
Otherwise, magnificent effort all-round. :nicework:
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby leo_core » October 22nd, 2012, 3:57 am

Conker's Bad Fur Day wrote:Gimmie... the demo... please... now, leo_core.

In a little while... =)

Simion32 wrote:Come on. Seriously. This is 100% release-able quality for a demo. :swanky:

I would have already had like 3 demos by now if I was the one doing this stuff... :P

Still have a lot of corrections to be made Simion, we want you guys to have a good experience with this demo.

Super Luigi! wrote:And that's saying something! Speaking of speaking, I have to speak. Why is that K at the end of the level target in the end of the video? You had already collected all 4 KONG letters, so why was the K there?

lmao I was hoping not to fall just when appeared the letter "K"! The truth is that we are running hard to launch this demo and some details end up falling behind, but the demo will not have this kind of error.

Super Luigi! wrote:Also, why is it that when you throw a Kong, the one you're controlling does an airwalk? Besides these notices, your game looks fantastic. I really like how the jungle is set in an afternoon time.

Another little fix nedeed, thanks!

Phyreburnz wrote:I can't wait for your demo! I noticed, however that when teaming up with Kiddy on top, his legs are above the other Kong's arms, when the other Kong's arms should be above his legs.

Phyreburnz! I knew you would comment on that LOL! We made a breakthrough with the system of "following" for kong partner, however we had to make several changes to the animations, including teaming up. But we will fix these details, if not in the demo, but when the game is complete.

Phyreburnz wrote:I was also wondering why you kept Kiddy turning around when he high-fives DK, instead of using the animations I did of him reaching back for the slap. I think him turning around is a little awkward looking, but maybe that's just me.

Hmmm... I'll think about it ok?

Tonberry2000 wrote:Leo, I know that English is not your first language, and while I can understand what the text in the game means, it's not quite perfect (Like the difference between "The Kongs Return" and "The Kongs Returns").
If you'd like, I could edit the script for you (Cranky's rants and stuff like that) so it sounds more natural in the game. Something to think about. :)

You refer to the text of the speech Cranky Kong? These speeches text was created by Necro Toad, he speaks English better than I do.
The texts that appear in the video I created (I believe some should be wrong as always ... ¬¬). It must hurt for you guys seeing these absurdities English errors ahaha! I'm so sorry for that! I really need to learn English, that's a shame!
In any case I thank you so much for being willing to do the review texts for our project, I will contact you soon ok?
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 72

Postby Simion32 » October 22nd, 2012, 3:59 am

Yes, just by looking I have to say that the minecart engine is near 100%, despite the floaty-ness Qyzbud mentioned. I cannot vouch for 100% accuracy, but it definitely has all the functionality and works properly. A job very well done!

Were you paying attention to the cart tracks' physical surfaces using DKCRE? Because it looks like you were! ;)

EDIT:
In fact your entire engine seems a little "floaty".

leo_core or Hiperkalango: Have you checked my physics-related posts around the forum? It would help minimize the "floaty" effect.
*plugs in the obligatory physics copy and paste from the GameMaker forum*
Spoiler!
First of all, I should clue you in on the precision level: all of the "decimal" values in the DKC's are not really decimal (decimal as in 100 cents equals one dollar), they are actually fixed-point values that range from -128 to +127... but the decimal parts are in 256ths, not 100ths. So this means every value used should be a multiple of 1/256 or 0.00390625. The reason for this is obviously that DKC is using hexadecimal values, not normal decimal ones.

Here are a few floating-point values for Donkey Kong at 60FPS game play:
-Initial Y Speed is +3.0 (downward) and is reset to this value upon DK hitting solid ground.
-When you first press the B Button to jump, DK's Y Speed is set to -7.0.
-Gravity is +0.4375 per frame at ALL TIMES when the B Button is NOT pressed.
-Gravity is +0.28125 per frame at ALL TIMES when the B Button IS being pressed.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby leo_core » October 22nd, 2012, 4:06 am

Qyzbud wrote:We wish you all the best dealing with your difficulties; hopefully there's not too much pressure on you to produce this game and release the demo... remember that it should be fun and rewarding to build and play this, not stressful!

I enjoyed the video — it's great to have such a feeling of progress and adventure, encountering different terrain types and seeing various inside and outside scenery. Great work, all of you!

I must say, the mine cart jumping physics seems a little 'floaty', and that Slippa didn't bite you like he should have!
Otherwise, magnificent effort all-round. :nicework:

Thank's Qyzbud. We are a bit "tense" because we can not release the demo on two deadlines! But it's fun to work on this project. :D
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 72

Postby djsubtronic » October 22nd, 2012, 4:54 am

Looks awesome! One thing I noted was in the minecart level, when you are outside, the mountains in the back seem to scroll too fast. I think it should be slower.
Trainee Trekker

Postby Phyreburnz » October 22nd, 2012, 3:03 pm

I have a question for Hiperkalango, how did you get the DKC2 mine background (not the crystals in the background, in front of that) to work like that? It's kind of a weird question, but I was working on editing the mine background so it could be used in a side-scrolling level and not just a vertical-scrolling level, and I was having a heck of a time because of all the platforms. Could you upload your repeating background?
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Simion32 » October 22nd, 2012, 3:15 pm

Phyre, he just used the level tiles. Go find the legacy version of RE (v0.0.5.0) that supports DKC2 level terrain extraction and use the terrains/tiles it extracts. You'll need a DKC2 ROM on hand.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Phyreburnz » October 22nd, 2012, 3:19 pm

Oooooo... thanks. I sorta feel dumb for not knowing about that... :oops: I've just been using the images on TSR, and doing a lot of cutting, pasting, and erasing in Photoshop.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Tonberry2000 » October 22nd, 2012, 5:37 pm

Yikes. Poor you, Phyre. I should really look into getting the tiles arranged and up. :/
Trailblazer
Bananas received 30

PreviousNext

Return to DKC Projects/Fanworks