DKC Music Replacement?

Working on your own project related to the Donkey Kong Country series?
This forum is your place to discuss fangames, artwork, stories and so forth which are DKC relevant.

DKC Music Replacement?

Postby RattleBattle » January 19th, 2011, 11:14 pm

I just wish for a tool that can Replace the music with your own MP3 files and simple plus easy. That's all.
Tourist

Re: DKC Music Replacement?

Postby Simion32 » January 20th, 2011, 8:05 am

What now? You should know SNES games don't use MP3s or any common music format for that matter.

DKC's music format is very proprietary, and is specific to (likely each of) the games in the Trilogy. Furthermore, no research has been done whatsoever.

I believe someone (BlackHole89 on Acmlm's board?) was going to try to make a music editor for Super Mario World, but If I remember right, that never really got off the ground due to complexity.

In other words, what you're asking for is practically impossible. :x
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby EliasYFGM » January 20th, 2011, 9:35 am

I think It could be possible if the MP3 file was downgraded in quality to a RAW file format, and then in some way import it to the ROM. But you would need to know a lot of ASM programming to do all this job. Not easy in any way.
You should also know that SNES SPC music is stored as MIDI-ish format (but not common MIDI).
Newcomer

Postby RattleBattle » January 20th, 2011, 9:56 am

I disabled the sound layers and used my own music viva WM player.
Tourist

Postby Simion32 » January 20th, 2011, 10:05 am

Well, I was assuming you meant actually replacing the music. Whatever works, i guess. ;)

In other news, kingizor brought to my attention an SNES add-on "chip", called the MSU1, which byuu has added support for in BSNES. Apparently it allows giving the ROM up to 4GB of extra storage space (still, you've got to be using BSNES for it to even work).

However, putting music into that and playing it via the MSU1 is still far too complicated for someone unexperienced in SNES assembly coding. To be honest, it's a little over my head.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby RattleBattle » January 20th, 2011, 10:23 am

Ooohhh, Okay. That sounds Interesting But I use ZSNES. I gave your delta thing a try.
Tourist

Postby Simion32 » January 20th, 2011, 10:33 am

<off-topic> Keep in mind that DELTA is not an emulator. </off-topic>

Yeah, I also use ZSNES (a particular WIP version because it has more features). I find it best for actually playing the games.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby RattleBattle » January 20th, 2011, 10:38 am

I love the Ice level with the Oil spill! and Oil Spill Chill.
Tourist

Return to DKC Projects/Fanworks