The GBC version is my least favorite port of DKC.

Talk about the Donkey Kong Country ports for GBC and GBA.

The GBC version is my least favorite port of DKC.

Postby Blaziken257 » December 3rd, 2008, 9:49 am

I've played the GBC version of DKC before, and I have to say it's my least favorite version. Even the GBA version, with its downgraded music, over-brightened graphics, and different maps, was better than the GBC version. There are a number of things I didn't like about it, which I'll explain.

The first problem with the game is the lack of visibility. You can hardly see where you're going, and therefore you get very little time to react to enemies and other things when compared to the SNES and GBA versions. I understand that, being a GBC game, Rare couldn't have done much about this, but somehow it's a lot harder to deal with in this game than it is in the DKL games. Part of this is because the game positions Diddy/Donkey closer to the center of the screen than the DKL games do, which makes it harder. And the DKL games have bananas to help out the problem a little bit. This version has you memorize more jumps than the SNES/GBA versions or the DKL games. It's REALLY bad in the mine cart stages, where you'll find yourself falling down pits, hitting abandoned carts, and hitting Krashes often. I think it took me over 40 attempts to beat Mine Cart Carnage because I kept hitting things I didn't see right away. The SNES version only took me one try.

Another problem is the physics. This game's physics are WAY TOO STIFF. Moving around seems a lot stiffer than the other versions of this game. Hell, I found DKL's odd physics easier to deal with than in this game. When you change direction or start moving, it's abrupt instead of gradually speed up or change direction. The jumping seems a little odd, too. The other enemies and objects are even worse. Let's take Zinger for example. When it starts to change direction, it does it instantly. In the SNES version (and I think the GBA too), it gradually slows down before changing direction, which makes them easier to avoid. I had a really tough time dodging enemies like these because their movements are weird. Elevator platforms aren't much better, and I had a hard time landing on these because they don't slow down at all when they change direction.

Expresso is also much tougher to control than he is in the GBA or SNES versions (or DKL, for that matter). He moves way too slow, which is especially problematic in Orang-Utan Gang and Ice Age Alley. So when he ascends slowly, it is nowhere near as useful in this port because he doesn't travel as far. This makes him almost useless; good luck trying to get to either of the bonuses in Ice Age Alley with his slow movement.

Oh, and I hate the way you jump off of ropes. When you jump off a rope, you jump way too far to the left or right, which is very, very annoying if you just want to jump a short distance. This makes Slipslide Ride harder than it should be, and compounded with the fact that the purple ropes push you down faster than you can climb up, it makes the bonus at the near end impossible to get. I've never gotten that bonus.

Another problem with the physics is that swimming is much too slow. It's faster with Enguarde, but before you get him, good luck. You'll have a harder time dodging things because of the slow swimming. This is especially problematic in Croctopus Chase, where it's VERY hard to dodge the Croctopuses because they usually outrun you.

Another thing I don't like is that when you hold B and you pass a barrel, you run right through it, missing it. So you have to stop moving to pick it up. While this has the advantage of not accidentally picking up barrels, sometimes I miss barrels that I WANTED to pick up. No other DK game does this, so it's disorienting.

The music in this game is a mixed bag. I like to think of it as an early DKC3 GBA, where some songs are replaced, and don't always fit the stages they're in. While I mostly LOVE the fact that a lot of the songs are from Donkey Kong Land -- I think DKL's temple and cave themes are much more fitting than DKC's -- that's the only positive thing I can say about this music. Oh, and the completely new Forest Frenzy music is fairly decent too. But the music also has lots of flaws. The remixes that DIDN'T originate in DKL aren't that great. Take the Tree Top Town theme, for example. It sounds TERRIBLE in this game -- it's way too slow, and is missing part of the theme before it loops (and the most interesting part, too). The Slipslide Ride theme also sounds weird: besides the fact that they used it in the SNOW stages instead of Slipslide Ride, it sounds WAY too slow. (And the theme for Slipslide Ride in THIS game is a little weird -- while it's really nice to listen to, it was better suited to the submerged ruins in DKL, not an ice cavern!) And the Winky's Walkway theme also sounds way too slow, and the Stop & Go Station music was replaced with the mine cart music -- and it sounds too FAST! How did the screw up the music in THIS game? Oh, and one final gripe -- some of the music that was ripped from DKL sounds a little different, and slightly worse. The beginning of the temple music sounds a little weird, where it's a little too flat, and the aquatic music has this weird soft buzzing noise that you can hear about every second or so.

While the graphics are fairly decent, they screwed some of the sprites up. This game has WAY TOO MUCH DITHERING with the sprites, and DKL3 GBC's (and DKL2's, even with its lack of color) sprites look better. And both games were released BEFORE DKC GBC. Look at Enguarde in DKL3 GBC then look at him in this game:

enguarde comparison.PNG
Comparion of Enguarde in DKL3 GBC and DKC GBC.
enguarde comparison.PNG (1.15 KiB) Viewed 39524 times

He looks worse, because he's too small and has that ugly dithering effect with the blue/white. In DKL3 GBC, he has a blue/aqua look, with no dithering, and he almost looks like he does in the SNES games. The other animal friends look weird too, especially Winky with his odd mix of blue and red. Rambi looks really odd too. Some of the enemies aren't colored properly, either. Since when were Klump and Krusha yellow? Oh well, the backgrounds look awesome, way better than DKL3 GBC (especially the snow stages), and at least they didn't overuse purple like they did in DKL3 GBC. I also like the blue look they gave to one of the temple stages.

My last, but definitely not least gripe, is the animal friends. You can tell that Rare was lazy with this. Unlike the SNES or GBA games, when you find an animal crate, you become the animal. Notwithstanding the fact that crates aren't supposed to do this (only barrels do), and the fact that DK64 has this same oddity, this is a real big problem. If you get hit all, or even press Select, you lose the animal completely -- he doesn't even run off. This is really annoying, because you have to be real careful in avoiding enemies if you want to keep the animal to the end of the stage (and sometimes you have to for bonuses). I think the worst example of this is in Ice Age Alley -- to get to the bonuses, you need Expresso, but all these enemies are in the way, and for some stupid reason, Expresso can't touch any enemies (though the same can't be said about DKL). In the SNES or GBA versions, this wasn't a big issue, because you can just dismount, defeat the enemies, and then hop back on. But if you try that in this version -- Oops! You can't because when you press Select, you LOSE Expresso and have to try the level again. (It also doesn't help that he is also much slower, but I already mentioned that...) And since there are LOTS of enemies, this bonus is VERY hard to reach in this version.

But why did they need to do this? DKL was able to RIDE on animals, and that was a Game Boy game. Now, DKC is a GBC game, and it can't have the Kong and animal friend on the screen at the same time? What were they THINKING?! And the lack of buttons wasn't an issue either (unlike DKL2 or DKL3), because none of the animals had special moves like they did in DKC2, DKL2, DKC3, and DKL3.

So, while DKC GBC was an OK standalone game, it doesn't compare to the other versions of DKC. There are way too many things that make it less enjoyable.

At least it had Necky's Nutmare, though. That was fun. I wish they brought that back in DKC GBA, but they didn't. The mini-games were cool too, especially when compared to DKC2 GBA's and DKC3 GBA's boring mini-games.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 114

Re: The GBC version is my least favorite port of DKC.

Postby Qyzbud » December 3rd, 2008, 10:28 am

They really were biting off more than they could chew when creating the GBC port of Donkey Kong Country. I remember being quite excited about it when I first realised the full DKC adventure was going portable - but the physics alone scared me off after just a couple of levels. It was really painful to play after being spoilt by DKC SNES's beautiful, flowing gameplay.

Nice comparative rant here, by the way... I've only read it half way through, but you've been quite thorough and descriptive. You/we might be able to turn this into an Atlas Article. ;)
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Kiddy14 » December 3rd, 2008, 12:45 pm

I actually enjoyed the graphics, they look really cool for a GBC game. Except for Enguarde, he looks ugly.
Overall the game looks ok to me. Jumping should have been more elaborated, though. You don't roll-bounce when opening item caches either.

I liked the new version of Forest Frenzy, but I think it does not fit the levels at all, it's too cheery.

EDIT: Fixed typo.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Postby Blaziken257 » December 3rd, 2008, 2:36 pm

Qyzbud wrote:They really were biting off more than they could chew when creating the GBC port of Donkey Kong Country. I remember being quite excited about it when I first realised the full DKC adventure was going portable - but the physics alone scared me off after just a couple of levels. It was really painful to play after being spoilt by DKC SNES's beautiful, flowing gameplay.

Nice comparative rant here, by the way... I've only read it half way through, but you've been quite thorough and descriptive. You/we might be able to turn this into an Atlas Article. ;)

The first time I played DKC GBC is when someone else had the game and let me play it. At the time, I really liked the fact that the music was just like Donkey Kong Land, but I found it hard, partly due to the physics. Then I got frustrated when I got to Mine Cart Carnage because I attempted it at least 10 times and never beat it. Then I played it on an emulator many years later, after playing both the SNES and GBA games extensively, and decided it was my least favorite version.

Before turning it into an Atlas Article, though, I want to revise this a bit and add a few more points to it before making it an article. As well as a screenshot or two, maybe. Where are these Atlas Articles, anyway?

Kiddy14 wrote:I actually enjoyed the graphics, they look really cool for a GBA game. Except for Enguarde, he looks ugly.
Overall the game looks ok to me. Jumping should have been more elaborated, though. You don't roll-bounce when opening item caches either.

I liked the new version of Forest Frenzy, but I think it does not fit the levels at all, it's too cheery.

First of all, don't you mean GBC? And I thought the graphics were inferior for the most part. The backgrounds were good though... but the sprites weren't.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 114

Postby Rodent » December 3rd, 2008, 4:59 pm

An article is pretty much that - an article about any DK related issue that's on the website for people to view. They're on other sites...
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 3

Postby Kiddy14 » December 4th, 2008, 7:11 am

I fixed the typo. What I mean is that most of the sprites look really well polished while some don't =/
Blaziken257 wrote:Where are these Atlas Articles, anyway?

In the main page =P
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Postby DKCplayer » December 4th, 2008, 4:33 pm

My cousin has this port. I noticed a lot of these things too. But there's one thing you forgot to mention...
the other Kong is in a tiny little barrel on the bottom left corner on the screen. :|
Blaziken257 wrote:The mini-games were cool too

Agreed. :D The coconut one got irritating though on the level where you help your animal buddies cross holes.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 16

Postby Blaziken257 » December 4th, 2008, 6:25 pm

DKCplayer wrote:My cousin has this port. I noticed a lot of these things too. But there's one thing you forgot to mention...
the other Kong is in a tiny little barrel on the bottom left corner on the screen. :|

I didn't mention that because I thought that was the least of the problems. I guess I don't really notice it because the first three Donkey Kong games I've ever played were the three DKL games, where, like DKC GBC, only one Kong is visible at a time.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 114

Postby Gnawzooka » December 5th, 2008, 8:25 pm

Well, Instead of adressing your many many points, I'll just summarise: I agree. Funky's Fishing kicks ass though. :D
Seeker of Mysteries
Bananas received 5

Postby zapzupnz » December 17th, 2008, 11:55 am

I personally like this version of the game better than the others. But that's only because I oddly find restriction quite amusing. They call it 'a limited palette' in the art world.

I think the graphics are pretty good given the limitations of the Game Boy Color. It has totally different restrictions to that of the original monochrome Game Boy by way of making sprites visible on screen while yet not all be the same color. While I do find that Enguarde looks strange without an outline, I understand why he looks the way he does and therefore appreciate it more.

You can't expect a heckuvalot when porting a 16 bit color game to an 8 bit color console, but it's right up there.

Unlike the GBA port, whose font I abhor. Lol.
Newcomer

Postby Katastrophe Kong » March 30th, 2009, 9:35 am

Hey just a small question, before I go and buy it- is Dkc for the Gbc playable for the Gba? :|
This game seems so cool with all the new minigames and such, I feel awful missing out.
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 32

Postby Donkey King » April 13th, 2009, 8:49 am

Yes-sir-ree, man. It it playable in the GBA....
Trainee Trekker

Postby Katastrophe Kong » April 19th, 2009, 9:21 am

Swwet :D
I'ma go see if its on Amazon for a reasonable price, so I can have a say in this.
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 32

Postby BigDonkey101 » April 25th, 2009, 4:44 pm

I agree, the GBC version of DKC is my least favorite version of the game.
The Game Boy Color versions backgrounds for the levels make some of the enemies hide to see.
Also in some levels (like Tree Top Town)where you have to go from flying barrel to barrel the game has a hard time keeping up.
These factors make the GBC version of DKC not fun.
Tourist

Postby Aaendi » August 6th, 2011, 9:40 am

I don't like the choice of colors they used for sprites. Donkey and Diddy are completely brown, instead of brown and red color. They could've overlayed a red sprite on top of them to make them look more like how they're supposed to look like.

Maybe instead of having one palette that is:
Black, Brown, Light Brown

They could've use 2 palettes:
1) Black, Brown, Light Brown
2) Red, Yellow, White.
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 2

Postby Simion32 » August 6th, 2011, 9:45 am

It'd probably come down to memory/hardware requirements. The SNES is sort-of limited in terms of sprites. Multiply that by about 1/4 to simulate GB limits, and there isn't much you can do with the system.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Aaendi » August 6th, 2011, 11:46 am

A lot of NES games use the overlayed sprites method to make more colorful looking sprites.
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 2

Postby KingBrett » October 22nd, 2011, 11:16 am

You've yet to try to beat King K. Rool in the GBC version. I have on an emulator, and it's not easy for Round 2 of the battle. He jumps a bit too low for you to roll under him so it's near impossible to beat him. It's possible to beat him without getting hit in this version but due to the physics, it's hard even for a DKC expert such as myself.
Tourist
Bananas received 1

Postby Gaz » December 29th, 2011, 9:40 am

C'mon. It may have terrible physics, a bad Enguarde sprite which had excellent contrast though. It is really fun though and it is the first to have Cranky having his own minigame. Oh and scrapbook too. There are more modes so there are fun things about the game too. C'mon, it brings back memories ;).
Gaz
Taster of Pork
Bananas received 47

Return to DKC Ports (GBC, GBA)