Mysterious house on the GBC version's World Map...

Talk about the Donkey Kong Country ports for GBC and GBA.

Mysterious house on the GBC version's World Map...

Postby Gaz » October 4th, 2012, 1:38 am

Hey guys, so today I want to show you something really weird in Donkey Kong Country for the Game Boy Color (see below);
Donkey Kong Country (US) House.png
The background piece for the house (I cropped to it).
Donkey Kong Country (US) House.png (617 Bytes) Viewed 8951 times

It's from the world map, and it's an ordinary house (It's not a sprite, it's part of the background). So, ain't that crazy? It's supposed to be Donkey Kong's Treehouse, but it's an ordinary human house (press CTRL + 1 to see it's a background element).
Here it is on the world map;
Donkey Kong Country (US) World Map Background.png
The mysterious house itself...
Donkey Kong Country (US) World Map Background.png (11.14 KiB) Viewed 8951 times

Right below Kongo Jungle! It has to be a misdraw of Donkey Kong's treehouse!

Why is there a house instead of a treehouse? Any suggestions or comments?

Qyzbud
Gaz
Taster of Pork
Bananas received 47

Re: Mysterious house on the GBC version's World Map...

Postby Qyzbud » October 4th, 2012, 2:28 am

Here's the SNES version for comparison:

It looks to me as though they redrew most of the scene in an effort to make certain elements clearer on the lower-colour, lower-resolution, smaller screen of the Game Boy Color. The entrance to Monkey Mines is a much more typical mine entrance design on the GBC, and the temple construction atop DK Island's 'brow' is much more defined there... which makes it stand out a bit too much, and look kind of ugly/out of place. :|

Now to your point; yes, it does look like a more standard house in place of DK's domicile (which is not exactly depicted as a treehouse on the SNES, either)... but I must say I think it looks better on the GBC from a lighting/contrast point of view. You can hardly even tell it's meant to be a house on the SNES screen, but on GBC it's nice and clear. I'd say they must've just drawn a slightly more standard house out of laziness/lack of attention to detail... but hey, it's not that different to the original style.

On a side note, they did a great job making the water look nice and sparkly on the GBC; excellent use of limited colour!
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Re: Mysterious house on the GBC version's World Map...

Postby Gaz » October 4th, 2012, 3:22 am

Agreed. The world map looks actually really good for a GBC game.
Gaz
Taster of Pork
Bananas received 47

Return to DKC Ports (GBC, GBA)