Game Boy Color Music

Talk about the Donkey Kong Country ports for GBC and GBA.

Game Boy Color Music

Postby virus_bass » November 7th, 2011, 7:50 am

Someone had a download link for the Game Boy Color version music on mp3?
Tourist
Bananas received 2

Re: Game Boy Color Music

Postby VideoViking » November 7th, 2011, 11:41 am

Brawl Custom Music has 'em, except their site goes on and offline like a light switch.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 41

Postby Tailikku » December 29th, 2011, 1:10 pm

Phew, thanks! I've been looking for those tracks.
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 12

Postby TheUltimateKoopa » July 23rd, 2012, 6:52 am

It's offline right now (:P)

I'm one of the (5) administators on the site... and while the site is down, you can still listen to the soundtrack on YouTube for 15.5 minutes each.
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL ... e=view_all

I have the GBS rip, so I can easily convert them to MP3s.

Speaking of the soundtrack, has anyone ever noticed the odd thing with the Treetop Rock, and Ice Cave Chant?
Note, that by Ice Cave Chant, I mean the music that was actually used for the Snow stages, NOT the music that was used for the Ice stages (which uses a song from Donkey Kong Land).
The odd thing is that they play an entire tune, then the entire thing plays without the melody. Ice Cave Chant thus has the 2nd longest full loop in the entire of the handheld Donkey Kong Country/Land titles at around 3:15, falling behind only Rockface Rumble from the GBA port of DKC3, which clocks in at 3:27.

Life in the Mines also has an odd thing, where the 1st half plays once, followed by the second half, with a percussion part. However, when it loops, the percussion part continues playing, which means the full length of Life in the Mines is technically 3:25 in length, however only about 2:20 or so of that is actually looped.
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 4

Postby Geno » July 29th, 2012, 4:00 am

I have MP3s of the entire DKC GBC soundtrack.
I could put em in a .zip if you want.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 57

Postby Katastrophe Kong » July 29th, 2012, 8:47 am

geno wrote:I have MP3s of the entire DKC GBC soundtrack.
I could put em in a .zip if you want.

Please do!
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 32

Postby Geno » July 29th, 2012, 9:31 pm

Here!
I've included the DKL and DKL3 tracks that are USED in this game, even though they have a slightly different sound quality.
And I've also included the Unused "Lose Swanky Bonus" music, that was maybe intended for DKL3, but not used.
http://cutstuff.net/molly/DBBKUP/DKCGBCMUSIC.zip
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 57

Postby TheUltimateKoopa » July 31st, 2012, 4:29 am

The quality is quite bad (especially the Factory), I must admit ;)
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 4

Postby Katastrophe Kong » July 31st, 2012, 11:26 am

TheUltimateKoopa wrote:The quality is quite bad (especially the Factory), I must admit ;)

It sounds good to me. The music is probably really like that in-game. It's supposed to be all chipophoney and 8-bitidy. I like how crunchy the factory sounds.
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 32

Postby TheUltimateKoopa » August 1st, 2012, 1:57 am

*facepalm*

You do realise I have the game.

Compare the "Factory" theme in the one geno uploaded.

And then compare it to this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3a8scE6IjM
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 4

Postby Katastrophe Kong » August 1st, 2012, 9:32 am

TheUltimateKoopa wrote:*facepalm*

You do realise I have the game.

Compare the "Factory" theme in the one geno uploaded.

And then compare it to this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3a8scE6IjM

*facepalm* Just so you know, I TOO have the game. AND have access to YouTube.

Thank you for that link , but I didn't hear that much of a difference in quality at all.
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 32

Postby TheUltimateKoopa » August 1st, 2012, 10:54 am

You're clearly deaf.

The MP3s that geno gave, listen to the Factory. Then listen to the YouTube video. I'm sure even geno could tell the difference.
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 4

Postby Katastrophe Kong » August 1st, 2012, 11:43 am

TheUltimateKoopa wrote:You're clearly deaf.

The MP3s that geno gave, listen to the Factory. Then listen to the YouTube video. I'm sure even geno could tell the difference.

Are you trying to start something here? Could it be that there isn't THAT big of a difference between the two tracks? Does it HAVE to be that I'M the wrong one here?

I'll admit there were a few minor differences, but that's because 8-bit games as aged as Donkey Kong Country don't just play some "pre-recorded master track" in-game. In layman's terms, all the data (chipophone instruments, beats, rhythms) that makes up the track is stored inside the game so each time you play you're basically hearing the processor doing an encore presentation of that song. None of the times the game plays that track will be exactly the same.

And even IF the different renditions of the track prove to be significantly different, perhaps I'm fine with the version Geno uploaded: It adds a more rough feeling to the already intimidating atmosphere that the factory levels present.

I don't appreciate being attacked.
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 32

Postby TheUltimateKoopa » August 1st, 2012, 1:45 pm

You're seriously pissing me off now. I'm not talking about the 'SNES version', or the 'GBA version' but the 'GBC version' I assume you know that?
I'm talking about the QUALITY of the actual version. Overall the QUALITY of Geno's upload is "very bad" compared to that of the same one in the video. I have listened to the song MANY times, and it does NOT sound like it was recorded underwater like geno's upload sounds like.

The quality of the track in the video is pretty much as it would sound on the Game Boy Color.
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 4

Postby Gaz » August 1st, 2012, 2:55 pm

If any one is wondering, TheUltimateKoopa has some high sort of temper. I don't really appreciate Katastrophe Kong being attacked. I like both of you :).

Maybe you could give him more clearer explanations with photos?
Gaz
Taster of Pork
Bananas received 47

Postby Katastrophe Kong » August 1st, 2012, 3:14 pm

TheUltimateKoopa wrote:You're seriously pissing me off now. I'm not talking about the 'SNES version', or the 'GBA version' but the 'GBC version' I assume you know that?

So wait, all this time you didn't know we were on the same page? I knew we were talking about the 'GBC version'. The whole damn topic is called 'Game Boy Color Music'. Yet another attack on my intelligence, I see? :roll:

TheUltimateKoopa wrote:I'm talking about the QUALITY of the actual version. Overall the QUALITY of Geno's upload is "very bad" compared to that of the same one in the video

If you read my posts, the whole time I've been trying to tell you I don't see any debilitating difference between the quality of Geno's upload or the Youtube video. Allow me to quote myself:

Katastrophe Kong wrote:It sounds good to me. The music is probably really like that in-game. It's supposed to be all chipophoney and 8-bitidy. I like how crunchy the factory sounds.

...Could it be that there isn't THAT big of a difference between the two tracks?

...perhaps I'm fine with the version Geno uploaded: It adds a more rough feeling to the already intimidating atmosphere that the factory levels present.

About my last post, the part where I talk about "None of the times the game plays that track will be exactly the same." and how the "all the data that makes up the track is stored inside the game" was just me trying to explain how the Game Boy Color (and any other 8-bit system) renders sounds and music. I really can't explain my idea any further, I apologize on that. Maybe someone else gets what I'm saying here and can explain it a little better.

I even withdrew my argument a little by basically saying that perhaps during the time Geno was recording the track wasn't being played as best as it could.

Me again wrote:And even IF the different renditions of the track prove to be significantly different, perhaps I'm fine with the version Geno uploaded

Maybe this was all an issue of clarity?
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 32

Postby Geno » August 1st, 2012, 9:42 pm

Oh god, WHAT HAVE I DONE?

(If I said I ALSO have the game, and the Factory theme in my ZIP folder sounds pretty good, would I get yelled at?)
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 57

Postby Katastrophe Kong » August 1st, 2012, 11:16 pm

geno wrote:Oh god, WHAT HAVE I DONE?

(If I said I ALSO have the game, and the Factory theme in my ZIP folder sounds pretty good, would I get yelled at?)

Don't worry, it was all just a misunderstanding. I should've been more clear with what I was trying to say.
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 32

Postby TheUltimateKoopa » August 2nd, 2012, 1:03 am

Conker's Bad Fur Day wrote:If any one is wondering, TheUltimateKoopa has some high sort of temper. I don't really appreciate Katastrophe Kong being attacked. I like both of you :).

Maybe you could give him more clearer explanations with photos?

I don't really think photos would exactly help with sound :P

It also has nothing to do with whether the Game Boy Color doesn't play exactly the same.

The overall quality is just bad. Possibly, because they're 128 kbps MP3s.

Can someone download the DKCGBCMUSIC.zip file that geno uploaded, and then listen to "13 Factory.mp3"?

If you don't get what I mean by "bad quality", then I clearly need to see a doctor to get this water out of my ears :P
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 4

Postby Geno » August 2nd, 2012, 2:16 am

There, I've deleted the file.
And now, I'll get better quality versions of the tracks because people are obviously complaining about the Factory theme.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 57

Postby Tailikku » October 29th, 2014, 1:56 pm

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bfm2bpq9nueqj ... C.zip?dl=0

While Geno was off doing that, I went and converted the .gbs files from Portable Music History into MP3s using Foobar, and I even labelled them with the correct names and positioned them according to the DK Jamz Album
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 12

Postby Qyzbud » October 30th, 2014, 11:14 am

It's nice to have a convenient MP3 download of these tracks — thanks. :)

I've noticed a couple of small issues, though:
  • Unless the name was changed for the GBC version (I'm unsure), the original DKC's naming of K. Rool's ship is hyphenated. You've misspelled "Deck", too:
    Gangplank Galleon (From DKL Dek Trek) → Gang-Plank Galleon (From DKL Deck Trek)
  • As with the DKC3 level of the same name, DKL's Pothole Panic Pot Hole Panic is three words.
  • Unless you can provide compelling evidence in favour of your decision, I think DK Island Swing and Simian Segue ought to have their names swapped back.

This is just what immediately jumped out at me; I'll add more observations if I notice any.

I appreciate the excellent quality and VBR encoding, by the way! :geek:
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Tailikku » October 30th, 2014, 11:44 am

Well Gangplank is more grammatically correct than Gang-Plank, I didn't even notice that I forgot the c in Deck. "Pot Hole Panic" came from another rip by PMH where the Kremlantis name originated. And the DK Island Swing/Simian Segue fiasco came from the GBA in game sound test found on the file select menu and entering BALLAD
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 12

Return to DKC Ports (GBC, GBA)