Changelist from SNES

Talk about the Donkey Kong Country 3 port for GBA.

Changelist from SNES

Postby aperson98 » March 29th, 2010, 2:28 am

Now before we get into anything first off while this is a change list I will not be stating the obvious like how the music's changed, Swanky's side show became Swanky's dash etc, no this is a change list for stuff you may not have noticed so easily.

General
-When getting a bonus coin you stay in place where you got the coin. In the SNES version you walk toward the right of the screen.

-Swimming and water skipping is slower then on SNES.

-Kiddy's Jump seems less laggy (seems to take less time to get off the ground) then on SNES I could be wrong.

-When passing a no animal sign it is a soft ping sound on GBA versus a loud BOOM sound on SNES.
It is also less laggy to pass a sign on GBA.

-Enguarde's stab attack in GBA is a bit faster and has a bigger hitbox.

- Squawks shoots nuts/eggs faster and uses a different death/getting hit sprite then on SNES.
(It's his DKC 2 sprite.)

-Ellie Borrows SFX from Rambi. ( On SNES she had her own SFX.)

- Rolling through 1 enemy will not give you a speed boost. (2 or more will.)
on SNES you only need to roll through 1 to get a boost.

-Dixie moves faster when carrying objects on GBA then in SNES.

- Animal buddies when hit while riding them run away slower then on SNES. This makes them much easier to catch.

-Toboggan levels seem slower

-Cranky now talks to you after beating a boss. Sigh* was that really needed it seems awkward.

- Nibbla is bigger then he is on SNES. (His Sprite isn't scaled down. Same goes for Arich.)

-There are a bit more things to collect then on SNES DK coins, banana birds, and bonus coins.

- In hidden caves you now use the D-pad on GBA Instead of the four buttons like on the SNES.

-Levels/Bosses

- Barrel Shield Bust Up and Springin Spiders have swapped places. Makes sense the latter seems a little easier.

-The warp barrel in Barrel Drop Bounce is moved a little more to the right.

-The background in Castle Kaos (Baron K.Roolenstein fight) is a little more detailed then on SNES. (Ironic isn't it?)

-In Criss Cross Cliffs the steel kegs fired upward can harm you. In SNES the steel kegs cannot harm you.

-In Swoopy Salvo Koin has moved to the left side of the tree trunk making him a pain to take out on GBA.

- Touching Buzzes in Rocket Rush will result in the loss of a Kong, In addition the star barrel is gone.

A few things I would like to give credit to various members of forum for finding. (They found some of this stuff not me.)

I could be wrong on a few things if so feel free to correct me on them.
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 3

Re: Changelist from SNES

Postby The Guy » March 29th, 2010, 4:35 am

I think Nibla moves a little faster than it does on the SNES version. It also moves a lot wilder.
Veteran Venturer

Postby aperson98 » March 30th, 2010, 2:20 am

Come to think of it Nibbla does move a lot more frantically then on SNES it's like they gave Nibbla a combination of Red Bull and steroids.
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 3

Postby The Guy » March 30th, 2010, 2:29 am

The way Krimps and Bristles move at high speeds has also changed, but I'm sure why they did, anyway.

Another observation: The single Kobble in the orignal Tidal Trouble is removed.
Veteran Venturer

Postby aperson98 » March 30th, 2010, 11:02 am

I cannot believe I did not notice that one speaking of which I found a few more things that slipped under my radar.

-Life Balloons no longer have white eyes like in SNES.

-Steel kegs when rolling move slower.

-You pick your craft from Funky's by walking up to the boat/craft you want. On SNES you pick the boat/craft from a menu placed in front of Funky.

-Rolling has SFX. On SNES rolling had no SFX.
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 3

Postby Tiptup Jr. » March 1st, 2011, 8:47 am

Ahem.

- No curtain call/Dixie's Photo Album.

- There's no separate music for the Queen Banana Bird (despite there being a song called "Banana Queen" in the music menu.)

- Springin' Spiders is now the first level of Kremwood Forest.

- Rocket Rush is a LOT easier. I believe there are more oil barrels at the end and you finish with a lot of fuel.

- You can swim around the water in the Krematoa map after the volcano erupts. Also, there's no dock leading out to Knautilus.

- Removal/changing of certain cheats.

- Wrinkly's Retreat replaces main-world Wrinkly's Save Cave, Cranky's Dojo replaces the other ones.

- Funky has minigames, and a Banana Bird.

- The Gyrocopter has been renamed the Funky-Copter.

- There are now twenty Banana Birds... in the original there were less.

- Completed Banana Bird caves are now marked with a flag (Can't remember if they were in the original.)

- "Banana Queen" is now a selectable place on the map. You don't just fly into it.

- 46 DK Coins, which also automatically add to your total after you defeat Koin (you don't have to go get it.)

- A new Brother Bear, Bachelor, who replaces Barnacle in Lake Orangatanga.

- Kroctopus replaces Barbos as boss of Razor Ridge.

- Taking a shortcut through the boss to get to the beginning of the map no longer works. You can't slide down out of K3 from Bleak's House, and you can't go through Arich's Ambush and come out of Cranky's Dojo (previously Wrinkly's Save Cave.)

- The Brothers Bear houses are now more detailed and better reflect their personality. For example, it's "Brash's Stadium" now - can't remember what his house was called in the original, but it sure didn't look like a stadium.

- And obviously, yeah, Pacifica and whatnot. Which also resulted in the removal of that little island that used to be right there. The Banana Bird cave is now located in the cliffside above.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 9

Postby Mayo » March 19th, 2011, 1:18 pm

Tiptup Jr. wrote:- Completed Banana Bird caves are now marked with a flag (Can't remember if they were in the original.)

- The Brothers Bear houses are now more detailed and better reflect their personality. For example, it's "Brash's Stadium" now - can't remember what his house was called in the original, but it sure didn't look like a stadium.

I can confirm that completed caves didn't have a flag in the SNES version

In the original, Brash just had a cabin like all the other bears, oh so creatively called "Brash's Cabin".

Doesn't the lightening in Lightening Lookout work differently in the GBA version? Apparently there's less lightening bolts from what I've heard.

Also, when Kiddy and Dixie swap places they seem to do different animations.
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 4

Postby Crammalamma » May 22nd, 2011, 11:19 am

- When you kill a Koin, you will get the DK Coin immediately, even if you are nowhere near the Koin.
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 9

Postby Gaz » July 13th, 2013, 8:08 am

Two-year bump, but I found some differences that may or may not be so obvious:

*In Screech's Sprint when Ellie runs fast from the three Sneeks, she runs slower than in the Super Nintendo version.
*The Brothers Bear, Funky, Wrinkly, and Swanky music are all the same. In the Super Nintendo version they were all different (Brothers Bears all the same).
*The flag music isn't unique depending on how the level's finished or who finished it.
*The MERRY and COLOR cheats were removed from the game (my two favorite cheats...)
*There are now new minigames (to access them on the menu you type in the cheat Extras, pointless if you ask me).
*The controls are easier and less slippery.
*As mentioned above, Floodlit Fish is no longer hard, especially on a Game Boy Advance SP. There may be a slight more of a challenge on the original Game Boy Advance.
Gaz
Taster of Pork
Bananas received 47

Postby Tailikku » October 31st, 2014, 3:19 am

1 year bump

- Keeping with tradition like the other two games, Cranky appears and gives comments about the boss you just killed. His sprites for all of the bosses are based on his appearance in DKC2. With Barbos, he shuffles in using his graphics from the SNES version, making that the last remnant of Swanky's Sideshow in this game other than Bleak's House.
- K. Rool is now in the foreground when you start the fight against him in the Knautilus. The conversation with him plays out and then he jumps into the background.
- The factory that was in Lake Orangutanga has been changed back into a mill for consistency.
- All of the Brothers Bear are now redone for better or for worse. This unfortunately eliminates the blue fur on Blue (at the same time removing his special theme) and changes Blizzard from a Polar Bear to a Grizzly Bear.
-- This also means that Brash does not cause a quake moving the log. Instead, he gets a tantrum and then it cuts to the log floating and then back to show him calm again
- Barter's appearance does not change regardless of him having the mirror of not.
- If you go back to the Knautilus after getting all of the Banana Birds and fight K. Rool, the secret ending automatically plays
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 12

Postby Geno » November 11th, 2014, 12:53 am

I don't think anyone posted this, but in the GBA port, the controls in Rocket Rush are reversed.

So, while left would make you go right and right would make you go left on SNES, left makes you go left and right makes you go right on GBA.

Oddly enough, although one would think it'd make that stage easier, I actually found it HARDER, as I was so used to the SNES version's controls. :dixiecry: :kiddysad:

Additionally, the first half has a crapton of Green Buzzes added for pretty much no reason (it, with the different controls, makes that part even HARDER!)
And the second half has several Fuel Barrels in the area, so now, even if you mess up, like, 6 times, you can still make it.

And, the Star Barrel seems to be missing in the GBA stage.

Finally, Rocket Rush doesn't have unique music. Instead, it uses "Jangle Bells" (GBA's replacement for Hot Pursuit), and Stampede Sprint (which previously used Hot Pursuit), now has a unique track.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 57

Postby TheMartianGeek » November 21st, 2014, 6:56 am

A few of the Grab 15 Bananas bonuses now have only 10 bananas. The second bonus in Barrel Shield Bust-Up and the second bonus in Pot-Hole Panic, at least, are affected by this. I don't remember whether or not any of the levels in KAOS Kore or Krematoa changed (I haven't gotten that far yet in my LP of the game that I'm currently doing). For that matter, there is also a Grab 20 Bananas bonus in Stormy Seas...and they now say "Collect X Bananas" instead of "Grab X Bananas".
Newcomer

Return to DKC3 Port (GBA)