Parrot Chute Panic Slowdown

Talk about the Donkey Kong Country 2 port for GBA.

Parrot Chute Panic Slowdown

Postby NS Guy » September 16th, 2008, 7:03 am

Yesterday I got the GBA version of DKC2, and got to Squawks' ShaftParrot Chute Panic. My game was then struck with sudden, severe, and apparently random slowdown! The music was very choppy during the slowdown. It did make the level easier to play, though (for obvious reasons). Does anyone know why this happened? If it helps, I got it used at GameStop.
Last edited by Qyzbud on September 17th, 2008, 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic renamed (and post edited) to avoid confusion
Tourist

Re: Squawks' Shaft Slowdown

Postby Rodent » September 16th, 2008, 9:26 am

That's the one in the Beehive, right? Because my game does that too. I think the yellow bubbliness overloads the game a bit.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 3

Postby Kiddy14 » September 16th, 2008, 11:08 am

@Rodent: No, Squawk's Shaft is the last level in Crocodile Cauldron =P You're talking about Parrot Chute Panic...
You probably moved the cartridge and the game was having difficulties reading bites... it does sound weird though...
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Postby NS Guy » September 17th, 2008, 3:16 am

Yes, I did mean Parrot Chute Panic! :oops: Some other things: the slowdown seemed to be caused by either Klampons or boxes. Whenever they were killed or broken, the game returned to around normal speed. Also, until the slowdown, I didn't know the sound effects were linked to the animations (during slowdown, the sounds were slower or didn't play at all).
Tourist

Postby Kiddy14 » September 17th, 2008, 5:11 am

Oh so you do mean Parrot Chute Panic?
I know why the game slowdowns like that.
If you turn down the music, you'll notice the flapping wings sound effect for each parrot never ceases playing. So you'll get like 7 or 8 over-lapped flapping wings sounds in the background (except if you enter any room), plus the zinger's sound effect. That causes certain sound effects not playing at all (because the game's busy playing the flapping wings one).
The slowdown may be related to it.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Re: Parrot Chute Panic Slowdown

Postby Qyzbud » September 17th, 2008, 9:44 am

Well, Kiddy's worked it out - by the sounds of it... (pardon the pun)

That's a strange issue to leave present in the game; I'd have thought this would have been easily caught during testing. Of course, judging by the numerous other programming errors and oversights which plague the GBA ports (and even the SNES originals), it would appear that game testers were in short supply.

Some of us really ought to get jobs in that field, I think. ;)
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Rodent » November 21st, 2008, 6:05 pm

That would deprive us of endless fun though D:
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 3

Postby PotoGamer » November 22nd, 2008, 3:00 am

I was REALLY scared when I saw that Parrot Chute Panic was being so laggy, since I had thrown my GBA because of the anger I had with another game I was playing. :shock: But now that I read this, I know that my GBA is working properly! :D
Trailblazer

Postby Aaendi » August 28th, 2011, 2:49 am

Qyzbud wrote:Well, Kiddy's worked it out - by the sounds of it... (pardon the pun)

That's a strange issue to leave present in the game; I'd have thought this would have been easily caught during testing. Of course, judging by the numerous other programming errors and oversights which plague the GBA ports (and even the SNES originals), it would appear that game testers were in short supply.

Some of us really ought to get jobs in that field, I think. ;)

I don't know why, but developers really don't seem to care about slowdown. Everytime I'm doing SNES homebrewing, I facepalm at how much untapped CPU power the SNES has. A 50% lag could happen when the CPU routine is only 2 cycles too long, and most developers will just leave it like that.
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 2

Postby len8946 » April 19th, 2012, 1:03 pm

Never happened to me :/ I'm using an Australian PAL cart, so I don't know. I also play on a DS, though I doubt that makes any difference. Weird though :P
I'd say it could be a region thing? Who knows. Oh well, long as you finish the level, right? :mrgreen:
Tourist
Bananas received 1

Postby Super Luigi! » April 20th, 2012, 12:15 pm

Maybe it is a region thing, because I didn't experience any lag playing through there.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 301

Postby The Banana Bird » July 5th, 2012, 3:27 am

Most GBA ports have lag in a couple levels. this is a big one along with stormy seas lag.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 7

Postby Mr.Diddy » August 3rd, 2012, 2:52 am

Mayby too many sprites were on screen?
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 4

Return to DKC2 Port (GBA)