Differences between SNES and GBA

Talk about the Donkey Kong Country 2 port for GBA.

Differences between SNES and GBA

Postby Mayo » November 8th, 2011, 1:46 pm

Well, the DKC3 GBA board had one, why not DKC2?
Any changes you noticed between the SNES and GBA versions you can post here.

-Krook seems to have a greater delay before attacking, he also doesn't turn around if Diddy/Dixie approches from behind.
-You can kill Kruncha by jumping on him with both Kongs teamed up, whilst in the SNES version he'll just become angry.
-In Animal Antics, the mid-way barrel is moved to the start of the Squarks' section, instead of Squitter's section. Red Zingers that moved in a circle near the end of Squarks' section have been replaced by Yellow Zingers. Rattly's barrel has been moved slightly, and a blue balloon can be picked up above the Rattly transform barrel. In Rattly's section, there's an extra part added. At the very start of this section instead of heading right towards the Klampon, heading left will take you to some extra Zingers, spikes, some banana coins and a collectible photo.
-The timed barrels in Fiery Furnace seem to count down quicker and/or move slower, I don't know if that's just me, but they seem to have less distance in comparison to the SNES version. Also, I find that the DK coin is harder to get in the GBA version as there's less of a gap to move in between the Zingers, probably because of the sprite size differing from the SNES and the fact that they move slower and with less distance.

That's all I can come up with for now.
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 4

Re: Differences between SNES and GBA

Postby Tailikku » December 29th, 2011, 5:02 am

The background for the VG Heroes screen is different, also Link is in Second Place instead of Yoshi. And the "No Hopers" have some hope this time around as the bin is no longer present, probably because of copyright issues.
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 12

Postby Chibisai Kong » December 29th, 2011, 4:20 pm

Wrinkly also gives you a homework assignment, putting a lot more DK Coins in the game.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 21

Postby Tailikku » December 30th, 2011, 2:17 am

In the Lost World Ending, the Flying Krock track plays as the island sinks under the ocean with K. Rool swearing revenge, instead of howling wind and K. Rool cackling as he sails away.

Even further, the Kloaks no longer make a "Hahaha!" sound when throwing crap and a "Oohahh!" when they get "rekilled." instead they make a ghostly moan when they first appear, and do Baron Samedi's infamous laugh from Live and Let Die and GoldenEye 007 when they get "rekilled" and when they float away.
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 12

Postby aperson98 » August 22nd, 2012, 12:54 am

I have a few to add to the list.

- Physics are slightly different overall.
- Can no longer replay bosses without paying Swanky.
- Snapjaw's Big cartoony bite animation is replaced by Lockjaw's bite animation.
- When DK punches K.Rool he now flies through the window, rather then the ceiling.
- Can only view endings once.
- Rambi's charge up before he runs is longer, In addition his run after he charges is slower as well.
- Warp barrel in Lockjaw's locker moved upward a bit. The speedrunning trick of team tossing into the barrel won't work in GBA.
- Dixie and Diddy have ledge animation, however it's easy to see why it isn't in the Snes version just play Red hot ride to see what I mean.
- Dixie's animation of eating honey in beehive levels is gone.
- Tag animation is different
- Diddy and Dixie's animations on the Skull cart have been reduced.
- Overworld map and world maps are different.
- Levels reordered in some areas.
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 3

Postby The Banana Bird » January 18th, 2013, 11:56 am

And not to mention
> "Parrot Chute Panic" slows down
> Different noises for enemies
> No screaming in "Disco Train"
> When losing at Swanky's, you fall through the answer you jump on.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 7

Postby Tailikku » November 3rd, 2014, 2:57 am

The background of K. Rool Duel is based off of the North American SNES BG, minus the SNES controller. This is same in the PAL and JPN versions. :krool:
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 12

Return to DKC2 Port (GBA)