The Ghostly Bonus Barrel in Poisonous Pipeline

Post in here to discuss any glitches you have discovered for Donkey Kong Country 3...
Please create a new topic for each unique glitch, and explain how it is performed (if known).

The Ghostly Bonus Barrel in Poisonous Pipeline

Postby Kiddy14 » May 26th, 2008, 2:38 pm

I saw this video:

http://mx.youtube.com/watch?v=ukAEL8CLJEU

It says in the description the following:
Kazooie wrote:Last one is weird one. There is Bonus end of "Poisonies Pipeline" stage. If you don't go there. just swim in that spot what I show in video end of stage. You will somehow warped to there where bonus stage end barrer should take you.

This glitch only work when you enter to the stage and don't get last bonus and when you done it one time it doesn't work anymore if you don't select stage again. Weird one ^^

Last week, I decided to play the level, which is rare in me (5th pun =P), and I never died, didn't touch the Midway Barrel, but I entered the first bonus. Now I went through the last 2 red kocos with Dixie only only and it teleported me. I say, it's weird, seems like there's some missing code in the level. Besides, the invisible barrel is to the right of the G, while the actual Returning-from-Bonus barrel is to the left of the G.

I must say Kazooie seems to have the PAL version, while I have the NTSC version.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Re: The Ghostly Bonus Barrel in Poisonous Pipeline

Postby Qyzbud » May 26th, 2008, 3:22 pm

That's REALLY strange... I can't wait to test it out.
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Blaziken257 » May 28th, 2008, 11:24 am

Ha ha I found this glitch out by accident about a year ago. Doesn't seem to work in the GBA version though.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 114

Postby Kiddy14 » May 31st, 2008, 6:30 am

I just found out. Doing what I did will trigger the glitch "anytime". That means, go through the level, enter the first bonus, don't break the midway barrel, go to Koin. Maybe there's something that doesn't need to be done, like breaking the midway barrel.

Anyway, once I heard the Wii will sometimes crash when playing the level near the end. Do you guys think it has something to do with this "bug"?
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Postby Qyzbud » May 31st, 2008, 2:55 pm

Yeah, sounds to me as though that's pretty likely. If there's a mysterious bug near the end of the level, I'd say that would be a probable cause for crashing the VC's emulation. I might get to test this out tonight, if I visit my brother (who has the Wii with the DKC VC games I purchased). I've been itching to try this glitch out, but have been busy with all kinds of stuff... You may have noticed the relative lack of site updates, etc...

:|
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Kingizor » March 23rd, 2023, 8:54 am

This is caused by the exit barrel for the first bonus being in the wrong place. It's slightly above and to the right of where the exit barrel for the second bonus is. The game expects to grab the player and animate the barrel exit, but that doesn't happen because the barrel isn't there. When you approach it the game still thinks you've only just left the bonus so it still grabs you and performs the animation. There are two Japanese releases of SDK3, the later version fixes this bug by placing the exit barrel in the correct location.

It's probably not useful for speedrunning. I don't believe it can be triggered from the other side of the wall to the left of it as a result of how the cameras work, it's just too far away. Even if that weren't the case, you'd still be Enguarde after the first bonus so you wouldn't be able to leave the water to get the coin from Koin or exit the level without passing the no-animal sign.

The map might be helpful as an overview: http://www.dkc-atlas.com/maps/dkc3/7-5 :enguardehit:
Trailblazer
Bananas received 77

Postby WesternTanager794 » March 23rd, 2023, 10:10 am

Thanks for the explanation, Kingizor! I assumed that you didn’t pop up often. But how could I know! Anyways, thanks for the explanation! :parry:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 127

Return to DKC3 Glitches