Low Gravity in DKC2!

Post in here to discuss any glitches you have discovered for Donkey Kong Country 2...
Please create a new topic for each unique glitch, and explain how it is performed (if known).

Low Gravity in DKC2!

Postby Kiddy14 » April 12th, 2008, 11:18 am

I've done this before but never noticed how to do it until today... well...

1.- Take both Kongs to a level with water and ground... and no Snapjaw... Lockjaw's Locker's a good choice.
2.-Go in the water and switch the Kongs, doesn't matter which one, but I suggest switching from Dixie to Diddy*.
3.- Go out from the water to the ground, and quickly change the Kongs again, if you fall a fair distance from the pit you jump from, you can switch even if the other Kong hasn't arrived yet.
4.- Quickly jump anywhere, I suggest to somewhere high...

What would happen?
Dixie/Diddy would fall in a really slow speed, simmilar to the descendant speed in the water... If you keep jumping, Diddy/Dixie would continue to fall slow, if you stop jumping, their physics would be reseted...

I have nooo idea how it happens, all I know that's a way of making it happen, I did it in my DKC2 cartridge, which I don't know what version is, but is NTSC...

Here's a video with this bug, at about 00:53, Dixie falls really slow into the water :)

PS: All this steps are required, if you don't switch in Step 2, but switch in Step 3, the bug won't occur...

*I suggested using Dixie since when she falls her hair is whirling, which looks really awesome ;)
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Re: Low Gravity in DKC2!

Postby BlueTronic » April 12th, 2008, 11:25 am

Coool. I did something similar with Rambi: If you helecopter spin onto Rambi and jump right when you land on him, You'll float.
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby Kiddy14 » April 12th, 2008, 11:30 am

Yeah, I know about that glitch ;) It can also be done with Squitter and Rattly did you know? =D
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Postby Qyzbud » April 12th, 2008, 1:01 pm

Another wicked find, tal - you're on fire today, boy! This works in all versions, I believe.

I'm no physics/coding expert (Simion, get over here!), but I think it happens because the 'swimming' gravity is part of the most recent set of physics rules experienced by the Kong you swapped back to. I guess the game is just lazy in dealing with the play physics of the non-active Kong, because (of course) they aren't active. Still, it's very strange that this works like it does...

The cool thing about this; now Diddy can do Dixie's best trick! It's like she's sharing her powers. :)
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Kiddy14 » April 12th, 2008, 1:26 pm

Qyzbud wrote:The cool thing about this; now Diddy can do Dixie's best trick! It's like she's sharing her powers. :)

That's really cool! With that glitch Kong-Fu talked about added, Dixie's basically sharing it with Diddy, Rambi, Squitter and Rattly! =D
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Return to DKC2 Glitches