Ropey Rampage - Rope Glitch

Post in here to discuss any glitches you have discovered for Donkey Kong Country...
Please create a new topic for each unique glitch, and explain how it is performed (if known).

Ropey Rampage - Rope Glitch

Postby Kowbrainz » February 22nd, 2008, 11:18 pm

I dunno, this might be something that's well known already, but oh well.

In Ropey Rampage, after being blasted out of the first bonus barrel's exit, you'll find a platform with a patch on it which can be uncovered by jumping from a tall height.

Anyway, jump up onto the tree left of the platform with Diddy, then cartwheel jump up to the high tree on the right, just offscreen. Cartwheel through the rope, then jump when you're at the bottom of the screen and about to die and you'll appear back on the rope.

Edit: Think it works with any rope that you can cartwheel through the middle of, so yeah... I guess this one was found out when the game was released. :P
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 1

Re: Ropey Rampage - Rope Glitch

Postby Qyzbud » February 23rd, 2008, 12:18 pm

The warp-back effect regarding vertical ropes is well known, but I haven't heard this swinging rope variation mentioned anywhere. I stumbled upon something kinda interesting based on this glitch; If you time your return-to-rope jump a bit later, you can have the game think you died, freeze the screen in place, and deduct a balloon from your life tally... but still end up swinging on the rope!

You can then jump from the rope and play the level... but the screen won't follow you, and I'm guessing useful stuff like ropes won't appear because they are 'out of range' of the screen.

Well noticed, and thanks for posting! That will be a good glitch to add to Ropey Rampage's level info page. :)
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby cfh » February 23rd, 2008, 2:21 pm

I didn't know this one!! Cool glitch, reminds me of the side-effect from the walking underwater glitch.
cfh
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 6

Postby Kowbrainz » February 23rd, 2008, 10:40 pm

Ah, glad I found something at least. :)

I spent ages mucking around in Ropey Rampage searching for something that could be added to the page... I guess this is good enough. :P
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 1

Postby Kowbrainz » February 24th, 2008, 10:15 pm

Qyzbud wrote:The warp-back effect regarding vertical ropes is well known, but I haven't heard this swinging rope variation mentioned anywhere. I stumbled upon something kinda interesting based on this glitch; If you time your return-to-rope jump a bit later, you can have the game think you died, freeze the screen in place, and deduct a balloon from your life tally... but still end up swinging on the rope!

You can then jump from the rope and play the level... but the screen won't follow you, and I'm guessing useful stuff like ropes won't appear because they are 'out of range' of the screen.

Well noticed, and thanks for posting! That will be a good glitch to add to Ropey Rampage's level info page. :)

Woah, finally got your trick to work, and I didn't realise what was happening at first. The screen was stuck in view, and I hit the Zinger between the ropes with Diddy after the life tally came up, then Donkey took the next rope and the camera was back with him again. :P

Edit: Although the life meter comes up, it doesn't actually take a life off you if you perform the trick right. Your number of lives will stay displayed and the screen will stay in place, but the life won't be taken off you. :/
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 1

Postby Qyzbud » February 27th, 2008, 11:12 am

Ah, right. Must confess I've only done that once or so, and didn't think to document the specifics.

Interesting little glitch though, I'll have that added to the ol' Atlas today or tomorrow, if all goes well.
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Tompa » February 27th, 2008, 6:43 pm

This glitch can be very annoying when you are speedrunning Misty Mines... There's a rope you roll through there and you have to jump after it. I've died there so many times because of it, I hate it.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 45

Return to DKC Glitches