Winky's Walkway Dark Screen

Post in here to discuss any glitches you have discovered for Donkey Kong Country...
Please create a new topic for each unique glitch, and explain how it is performed (if known).

Winky's Walkway Dark Screen

Postby tehdrummajor » September 7th, 2013, 5:13 am

I recently was speedrunning DKC any% glitchless and when I started Winky's Walkway the level was completely dark except for the blue lights that are present in the level that swing from side to side. The level is mainly loaded correctly ( enemies in proper locations, etc) and I can still move around just fine. Any guesses as to why this may have happened? Version 1.0
Attachments
Winky's Walkway Dark Glitch.png
Newcomer
Bananas received 1

Re: Winky's Walkway Dark Screen

Postby Qyzbud » September 7th, 2013, 10:11 am

How incredibly odd... :shock:

I have limited technical knowledge of the game (Simion32 is far better qualified in this department), but as a guess; perhaps a layer visibility or level lighting flag (like in Blackout Basement/Loopy Lights) was triggered by something you did while optimising your run. :huh:

Is this a TAS, or a regular speedrun?
What console/emulator are you using?

Welcome to DKC Atlas, by the way; hopefully someone here can help solve the mystery. :)
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Mr.Diddy » September 7th, 2013, 3:14 pm

Are you using an emulator? If so, you may have just accidentally turned background layers 1 and 2 off. If you are playing on the SNES, then it's probably some sort of glitch. Does this happen with any of your other games though? because there might be something wrong with your SNES.
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 4

Postby tehdrummajor » September 7th, 2013, 4:58 pm

This is emulator SNES9X using a typical DKC rom from **censored rom link**. I've been using this for about a year mainly for practice single segment speedruns. It's hard for me to use my SNES because the game has the problem that thinks its "connected to a device that make illegal copies" and it doesn't save which I think is a bad save battery. On the emulator most other levels are normally loaded. Using save states I was able to get past Winky's Walkway and I discovered this same problem happens on Stop and Go Station with the red and green lights background. Also Torchlight Trouble has the same thing but its a really weird effect with Squak's light. It is possible the rom got corrupted somehow but when I reset the game instead of using a save state to start it the problem is gone which makes me think its a glitch.
Newcomer
Bananas received 1

Postby Simion32 » September 7th, 2013, 5:01 pm

DO NOT POST LINKS TO ROMs.
IT'S AGAINST THE FORUM RULES.

This is your last and only warning.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Mr.Diddy » September 8th, 2013, 12:28 am

Generally, this kind of thing happens if you mess with some of the emulator's opptions like "Windowing" and some other stuff like that (I have ZSNES, so i'm not sure if your emulator even has those options). That's probably not the problem though if you can load a savestate and the game works fine. The only thing I can tell you is to get a new rom. There's a really good website for getting roms called *censored by moderator*. If you still don't have any luck, you might want to delete the sram file. By the way, the "This game will not opperate when attatched to a device that makes unauthorized copies" message is offen a result dirty conectors. Get a quetip, put some alcohol on it and thoroughly clean the game's conectors.
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 4

Postby Simion32 » September 8th, 2013, 9:38 am

You, sir, are BANNED.
You blatantly ignored the rule that I just stated in my previous post. :evil:

*LOCKED*
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Return to DKC Glitches