DKC Glitch Teleport

Post in here to discuss any glitches you have discovered for Donkey Kong Country...
Please create a new topic for each unique glitch, and explain how it is performed (if known).

DKC Glitch Teleport

Postby SonVaan » August 14th, 2013, 11:31 am

Hello :D I've been trying the Glitch to move from World 3 to World 6, but unfortunately for some reason when I do this I send to the world 1. I wonder if anyone knows what to do and give me help on this as I need it right for what I'm trying to do.

The Glitch is found in the following video.

Thanks :3 And sorry for my English, but I'm Chilean and i speak spanish ;)
Newcomer

Re: DKC Glitch Teleport

Postby Simion32 » August 14th, 2013, 12:10 pm

The video itself is a TAS (tool assisted speed-run), and several of the tricks used depend on you doing things on exact frames in some very exact (usually humanly impossible) way.

In other words, you can get close, but you likely won't be able to do the full thing by hand.

The last part of the glitch in Orangutan Gang is exceptionally difficult, if I recall correctly.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby SonVaan » August 14th, 2013, 12:20 pm

Thank you very much, I figured it was a TAS, but did not specify who that was. I'll keep trying, but I have to take the alternative route and keep practicing. Another query Is it possible to do the video in the first half, leaving the newly passed level and re-enter before moving map?

Regards ^^
Newcomer

Postby Simion32 » August 14th, 2013, 12:40 pm

I'm not sure how to do that, really. :|
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Tompa » August 15th, 2013, 12:47 am

That video is not a TAS, no, it was the previous WR done on console. Current WR can be seen here: http://www.twitch.tv/kerahime/c/2415937.
For comparision, here is my TAS: http://tasvideos.org/3936S.html. I have some info about the run there as well as linked to my old run that has more info.

As for the warp glitch itself. When you open up the bonus in Orang-utan Gang, you must have Donkey Kong in the lead and not be too close to the entrance. If you are all the way to the right, a certain memory address will get a different value and you'll be taken to a different location. To prevent this, open up the bonus a little bit earlier, around when seen in the videos.

Once inside the bonus, you have to destroy the DK barrel and exit with both Kongs on the same frame. Most real time runners use a setup to stand at a specific location, throw the barrel and then move to the right. You can try this setup as well or just time it and hope to get lucky =).

To avoid walking automatically on the map when you finish a level, simply hold Right.

I hope that helps you. If you have further questions, please ask and I'll do my best to answer =).
Trailblazer
Bananas received 45

Postby Qyzbud » August 15th, 2013, 6:39 pm

It's good to have your response here, Tompa — I know no better authority on the subject!

Simion32 wrote:The video itself is a TAS (tool assisted speed-run) [...]

Tompa wrote:That video is not a TAS, no, it was the previous WR done on console.

A playthrough of this skill and precision could easily be mistaken for a TAS, but at 2:30 in that YouTube video (2:10 on the video's embedded timer) you can see a rather obvious imperfection — Expresso being stopped by the small ledge — that would never have been kept in a TAS run; although to be honest, I'm quite surprised it wasn't adjusted/corrected sooner by the player... I guess even world-record quality players (and playthroughs!) will always have room for improvement. ;)
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Tompa » August 16th, 2013, 12:27 am

Should be noted that the 8:38 was also streamed live on Twitch. And that is proof enough that it isn't a TAS =P.
And yeah, there is also room for improvements in runs, even if they are the fastest to date. TASes are constantly being improved as well. You can't tell when something is perfect or not =).
Trailblazer
Bananas received 45

Return to DKC Glitches