Warping from one stage to another; what makes this possible?

Post in here to discuss any glitches you have discovered for Donkey Kong Country...
Please create a new topic for each unique glitch, and explain how it is performed (if known).

Warping from one stage to another; what makes this possible?

Postby TheUltimateKoopa » August 2nd, 2012, 5:55 am

You've seen that TAS of DKC, by Tompa?

He does Jungle Hijinx, then does that thing with the map where it warps him just past the midpoint barrel in Orang-Utan Gang.... but then, he enters a bonus stage in Orang-Utan Gang, but then somehow, when he exits the bonus stage, he ends up at Manic Mincers. So essentially, he's on the map in Kongo Jungle, and then you never see the map until Chimp Caverns, as it's like Orang-Utan and Manic Mincers is a single stage.

Can anyone explain how this happened?

By explain, I mean, is it possible to explain what causes you to warp to Manic Mincers, or to any stage? E.g. Temple Tempest -> Jungle Hijinx?
Last edited by Qyzbud on August 16th, 2012, 6:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Changed topic title from "I'm not sure if there's a topic already but...", then 'embedded' linked YouTube video with new BBCode
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 4

Re: I'm not sure if there's a topic already but...

Postby VideoViking » August 2nd, 2012, 6:17 am

WHOA, never saw that one coming.

My guess: it might have to do with the steel keg. Donkey throws the keg at the curb and mounts on both it and Expresso at the same time, making it possible for the ostrich to barrage into bonus room two easily without the need for a barrel. When you leave bonus room two, you are automatically warped to Manic Mincers of Chimp Caverns with one key difference: Diddy is riding Expresso instead of Donkey.

Knowing that the corner between Jungle Hijinx and Ropey Rampage is a warp spot, could it be possible that this warp spot be used to access other points of Donkey Kong Country? Did the steel keg cause a glitch that, as a result, turned the bonus exits into warp points, or was it the warp itself that left a lasting effect? Lastly, can this glitch be achieved NATIVELY without using the corner warp or tool assisted programs?
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 41

Postby Katastrophe Kong » August 2nd, 2012, 1:05 pm

VideoViking wrote:Did the steel keg cause a glitch that, as a result, turned the bonus exits into warp points, or was it the warp itself that left a lasting effect?

First off, what the :shock: did I just watch?

DK: K. Rool stole mah hoard again? I'll get it back on my way to the supermarket.

Second, about the keg, it's involved in numerous glitches (most of which also involve Animal Buddies as well) so I suppose anythings possible with as far as that goes.
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 32

Postby TheUltimateKoopa » August 3rd, 2012, 8:02 am

Are you referring to the part where DK is constantly 'running' on the spot, when you said about the supermarket?
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 4

Postby Mr.Diddy » August 3rd, 2012, 8:09 am

At 03:50 he should have been hurt. :shock: Sometimes, I feel like nobody ever tested the game. In fact,I heard the competition cartrige crashes at Gorrila Glacier I think?
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 4

Postby Katastrophe Kong » August 3rd, 2012, 9:06 am

TheUltimateKoopa wrote:Are you referring to the part where DK is constantly 'running' on the spot, when you said about the supermarket?

Well the 'supermarket' comment was on how this guy beats the game in such a short amount of time. I bet he gets all the ladies! (oh wait :twisted: )
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 32

Postby Simion32 » August 12th, 2012, 6:14 pm

What's going on is that certain actions such as picking up a barrel or opening a bonus place certain bytes into certain places in the SNES's RAM memory.

This leads to some very clever abuse of the way the game code does things (thus the very odd sequence of actions Tompa takes to trigger the warp glitch).

There isn't any code going and clearing the level variables each time you exit the level, so it's possible to trigger extremely strange glitches.

Yes, I am pretty certain Rare didn't test for this possibility, though they may have been aware of it from a coding perspective.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Return to DKC Glitches