Glitch that only occurs on one of my two SNES

Post in here to discuss any glitches you have discovered for Donkey Kong Country...
Please create a new topic for each unique glitch, and explain how it is performed (if known).

Glitch that only occurs on one of my two SNES

Postby clntgn » August 19th, 2010, 2:10 pm

So, I bought another SNES at goodwill for really cheap (7 US dollars!) in the hopes that I could clean it up and sell it online for a little more. Not really the point, but anyways... I was play testing some of my stuff to make sure my games worked on there, and because I was bored. I popped in DKC and everything seemed fine till I got to the save select screen. The percentages next to each save were three zeroes, and then basically some garbage in place of the numbers. I shrugged it off, and then went and entered in the BARRAL code. Started my save up, got into a level, and that's when i noticed the next weirdness. Instead of having normal lives, the number next to my balloon was an H with another H on top of it. Small ones too, and only in the right column of the lives numbers. Losing lives will go down the alphabet eventually reaching A over A, and then after that it gets into weirder stuff like 0 over / and there was something that looked like the @ symbol too. I know the double letters is hexadecimal or something like that, right?

I know this isn't a cartridge problem, because I've played it on my other SNES and it functions normally. I might post some pictures later. Is it possible the SNES is a little glitchy, or that its a different edition of the SNES that maybe doesn't play as nicely with the cartridge? Its in a nicer condition than my main one (that one is yellow), but it also has different stuff on the bottom. My yellow one has stickers for the ID and whatnot, but this one has it engraved in there. The nintendo customer support stickers are different too.
Tourist

Re: Glitch that only occurs on one of my two SNES

Postby gamer_boy997 » August 19th, 2010, 3:09 pm

Wow... that's really wierd...

I don't know why that could be, but I can't wait to see pictures!
Seeker of Secrets
Bananas received 2

Postby clntgn » August 20th, 2010, 4:57 pm

A little bit of an update.

First a little more on the DKC thing. The weird lives things only happens on every number from 10 and up. Lives 1 through 9 are fine, and then it starts to glitch.

I decided to see if it would happen with other games. I tested out DKC3 and the same sort of thing happens with the lives on that from 10 up. Except they look more garbage-y. It looks like its parts of the banana numbers stacked on top of eachother. That's the best way to describe it. Also, there were a few other things. In the bonus stages, the countdown clock looks like several different graphics throughout the game. At one point it turns into the wheels from squeals on wheels, as well as the things you pull in doorstop dash (I think that's the title of the level). Also, there was a weird blotchy red thing floating in the sky that kind of reminded me of missingno of pokemon fame.

Other glitches unrelated to the DKC series:
-Tested Mega Man X, and the screen kept on flickering in the intro stage.
-Played FF6 and one of the character sprites in the intro was the completely wrong person.

I was planning on selling this, but I think I'm going to keep it for the sheer oddity of it. I don't know exactly what's up with it, but its fun to see what kinds of things happen to the games when I play them through it. I'll probably get some pictures up tomorrow. I took a few today, but they don't show up well on my camera (that whole thing about it being hard to record what's on a tv or computer screen with an external camera).
Tourist

Postby rainbowsprinklez » December 16th, 2016, 4:43 am

6 years is a LONG time

clntgn wrote: I know the double letters is hexadecimal or something like that, right?

Actually, hexadecimal is base 16. The only letters in this are A, B, C, D, E, and F.
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 108

Return to DKC Glitches