How Chekan Winter ties into Northern Hemispheres

Talk about the original Donkey Kong Country for SNES and VC.
The ports can be discussed in the DKC Ports (GBC, GBA) subforum.

How Chekan Winter ties into Northern Hemispheres

Postby BlueTronic » November 22nd, 2009, 2:41 am

There has been some confusion as to how Prophecy got the Chekan Winter melody from Northern Hemispheres. Also I pointed out that it sounds similar to The Flying Crock and the intro to the Frankenstein boss from Glover. But neither of them have the same notes, so they are most likely coincidences. However, after looking at a Northern Hemispheres midi, I found a riff that matches the notes:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6NpliDiLTE <--The high piano at 1:13

The difference is that the Chekan Winter melody is slower and has 2 extra notes:
chekanwinter.jpg

Green = Northern Hemispheres
Red = Chekan Winter
Blue = Flying Krock

Prophecy took a short obscure riff from NH, creatively edited it, and made a seven minute remix out of it. That's a very loose connection, enough to be considered just an inspiration. If Prophecy had decided to sell Chekan Winter as an original he probably could've made a lot of money off of it.
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Re: How Chekan Winter ties into Northern Hemispheres

Postby Sockpuppet » November 22nd, 2009, 2:56 pm

EDIT: For those who don't have the 7 minute Kong in Concert version (different from the OCR version), here's a link.

I can kinda hear what you're talking about, but I just had another listen to it after hearing the original, and I may have found some more connections.

I'll use your code: Green = Northern Hemispheres, Red = Chekan Winter

0:00 - 1:17 - Just chords, some of which may be pulled from the original. It does kinda sound familiar. Also, one of the synths (the 'stuttering' one. Dunno the proper term) sounds like it's playing around with the pizzicato melody at 0:20.

1:17 - 2:14 - Obvious use of pizzicato melodies (0:20 - 0:24, 0:28 - 0:31) with some variations. Bells are playing it very closely to how it is in the original, cello is slower. The piano seems to be playing something else, or just the same thing with the notes rearranged.

2:14 - 3:29 - That one melody comes in. It doesn't sound exactly like anything in the original, but it could be based on a lot of different pieces of it (the pizzicato thing I mentioned a few times, 1:32). I think what you mentioned is far more likely though. The melody in the original and the one in the ReMix both play over the same part (once again, the pizzicato). It could even be a mix of both. It seems more inspired by the original though, as you said.

3:29 - 4:19 - The repeated chords at 1:17 - 1:24. Changes some of the supporting notes in the 4th bar of the first two blocks (but the connection is still strong), 3rd block is the same thing in a higher pitch, 4th block raises the pitch and holds the first chord for an extra bar (connection is still strong). Repeats (3:58) with a melody on top of it which sounds like it was based heavily on 1:32, except it starts with the second note.

4:19 - end - Guitar doesn't seem to be from the original. Then it leads into the melody that we've already discussed and it plays 'til the end.

So there actually seems to be quite a bit of the source in there, you've just got to listen hard for it. And it does ignore a lot of the source as well.
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 4

Return to Donkey Kong Country