DKC1 Bonus Room Archtypes.

Talk about the original Donkey Kong Country for SNES and VC.
The ports can be discussed in the DKC Ports (GBC, GBA) subforum.

What bonus room archetype do you prefer the most?

Bash the Baddies
41%
Collect the Bananas
15%
Collect the Prizes
7%
Find the Exit
10%
Spell it Out
17%
Stop the Barrel
10%

Total votes : 41

DKC1 Bonus Room Archtypes.

Postby NES Boy » April 7th, 2009, 4:13 am

Inspired by Kiddy14's level archtype threads, I'll make some for the bonus room archtypes as well.

Unlike the level archtype threads, you have no limit to decide or change your vote. You may vote up to six of your selections.

The bonus room names are taken from the GBA port.

Here are the room descriptions:

This title is slightly misleading, as you are put in a room lined with at least one Klap Trap, which is the only kind of enemy you will encounter in this kind of room. Attacking Klap Traps here will make them spit out bananas. You get more and more bananas each time you hit them until the Klap Traps disappear.

You appear in a room filled with bananas. You can simply collect as many of them as you wish.

Rooms where a more extravagant collectible is offered, such as KONG letters or extra lives. The most common form of this room is one where you launch youself to the top of the room from a Barrel Cannon.

Short rooms that let you collect bananas along the way.

The first variant is to spell out the word "KONG" correctly on the barrels to win the prizes. The second type is my favorite: There's a spinning wheel of letters above you, and you have to select the right letters to spell out the word within.

These are roulette and guessing games involving barrels. The first variant lets you match up certain prizes and win them, while the second has you pick which barrel the prize is last seen in.
Tourist
Bananas received 2

Re: DKC1 Bonus Room Archtypes.

Postby Katastrophe Kong » April 7th, 2009, 6:56 am

I loved all of the bonus room games! But I'd have to go with bash the baddies. :)
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 32

Postby Rodent » April 8th, 2009, 9:35 pm

I'd go with Bash the Baddies for sure. I never got into the bonuses in DKC1 though.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 3

Postby The Guy » April 13th, 2009, 10:04 am

Bash the Baddies and ones that you explore a bit, like the Animal Buddy ones.
Veteran Venturer

Postby diddykong » April 13th, 2009, 8:11 pm

Well bash the baddies are the most fun, mainly the ones with a bit of safety up high.

It would be cool if the bash the baddies got as crazy as this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jep9loLBpjo :D but its unrealistic and very glitchy so it could probably never happen.
Tourist

Postby PotoGamer » April 14th, 2009, 4:05 am

My favorite bonus levels are the Bash the Baddies ones. It's the best way to get extra lives, and they're even better when they have jumping Klaptraps.
Trailblazer

Postby Kobble » May 3rd, 2009, 7:58 am

Collect the bananas, it's fun and relaxing. I don't like bash the baddies... those Klaptraps get on my nerves.
Tourist

Postby DK4Ever » May 8th, 2009, 4:43 am

Definitely going with...

Find the Exit

Yeah, FtE is simple, but I always found it fun.
I also think it's kind of funny that we can select up to 6 options, and there are only 6 options, so everybody could win! Yay!
Treasure Hunter

Postby HavocReaper48 » August 23rd, 2010, 8:11 am

Collecting the Bananas is my favorite. It encourages exploration and is plain fun to get them all.
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 3

Postby DKCplayer » August 23rd, 2010, 4:48 pm

I liked all of the bonuses, but my favourite would be Stop the Barrels. They all require a sharp eye and the 3-in-a-row one needs timing. As an added extra, the prizes vary from animal tokens to lives, to bananas, to... one banana. :x

Also, I think the Spell It Out variant where you spell KONG correctly also counts as a Stop The Barrel variant.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 16

Postby Markster » June 13th, 2011, 3:39 pm

Bump!

Well i have posted my vote last year, i want to tell you all that i like to collect bananas the most.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 37

Postby Phyreburnz » September 27th, 2011, 8:10 am

I love Stop the Barrel. My boyfriend will watch me play DKC and be like, "How in the hell do you do that?!" when I get the balloons. I can always tell where they are, and I usually make sure I avoid the golden animal buddies when I'm doing a speed run.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Mayo » December 23rd, 2011, 7:40 pm

I really like the spelling out ones, they were cleverly done especially later in the game, where you had to spell out NINTENDO and animal buddy's names.
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 4

Postby The Banana Bird » January 17th, 2012, 1:36 am

Even though bash the baddies can use some extra types of baddies, I love jumping from Clap Trap to the next. I like the one with the red ones the most.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 7

Postby Super Luigi! » January 17th, 2012, 3:19 pm

I don't suppose I could vote for everything? I liked Bash the Baddies because of the Juggernaunt Klaptraps that just couldn't die. For some reason, I think Diddy was more effective when it came to that bonus.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 301

Postby Mr.Diddy » August 3rd, 2012, 12:38 pm

I'll have to go with bash the baddies. By the way, what happens if you slap the klaptrap with DK?
Jungle Explorer
Bananas received 4

Postby Katastrophe Kong » August 3rd, 2012, 12:47 pm

Mr.Diddy wrote:I'll have to go with bash the baddies. By the way, what happens if you slap the klaptrap with DK?

He gets mad and bites DK's hand off.
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 32

Return to Donkey Kong Country