Most hated level

Talk about the original Donkey Kong Country for SNES and VC.
The ports can be discussed in the DKC Ports (GBC, GBA) subforum.

Most hated level

Postby DonkeyKong » August 23rd, 2008, 5:00 am

This game too has hated levels. I guess ill start here.
Tree Top Town-sometimes that first canon doesnt shoot you far enough on the GBA ver
Vine Valley- Why do the kremlings jump over you? And theres a bonus stage close to the end, where u gotta ride on espresso to get to the other side. Its Impossible to get to the other side unless your some pro or something.
Snow Barrel Blast - there that canon where you either shoot strait down or down right, and if you rush it you go down.
Rope Bridge Rumble- They give you a Buddy Barrel at the beginning because they know you got no chance.
Trick Track Trek-Dont get me started on this one.

Is this true or do I just suck at this game?
Tourist

Re: Most hated level

Postby DonkeyKong » August 23rd, 2008, 7:31 am

I meant Orangutang Gang instead of Vine Valley.
Tourist

Postby gamer_boy997 » August 23rd, 2008, 7:59 am

Whenever I do a 101% speed run, the first 4 levels of Gorilla Glacier really annoy me. (Torchlight Trouble is okay, since it's a pretty short level.)

EDIT: I also hate it when I mess up in Manic Mincers or Misty Mine, because I need to do Tanked Up Trouble again, that level is boring.
Seeker of Secrets
Bananas received 2

Postby whitepony » August 28th, 2008, 7:17 am

I agree gamer boy, those first four levels are brutal but poison pond take the prize for me. Its just so long and boring that I always drift off and end up dying because of a careless mistake.
Newcomer

Postby Diddy_Gal » September 15th, 2008, 7:23 am

Platform Perils is VERY frustrating. :evil:
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 1

Postby NS Guy » September 16th, 2008, 7:12 am

I'd have to say Tanked Up Trouble. Even after beating the game 4 times, I still get killed by those Zingers while trying to get the "G"!
Tourist

Postby nickp17 » October 31st, 2008, 5:05 am

Tanked Up Trouble.

Makes me so nervous. :oops:
Inked Imbecile
Bananas received 3

Postby The Guy » October 31st, 2008, 6:19 am

Oil Drumb Alley

That was just annoying...
Veteran Venturer

Postby DKCplayer » October 31st, 2008, 3:23 pm

Croctopus Chase really irritates me. :evil:
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 16

Postby PotoGamer » November 1st, 2008, 5:57 am

When I was trying to finish the game for the first time, Platform Perils was a pain! But I later memorized the whole level, and now it's a piece of cake! :D

EDIT: But Tree Top Town is still hard. :x
Trailblazer

Postby DK4Ever » November 20th, 2008, 2:13 pm

Platform Perils.

ARUGRGB:AKJBSIYVSPIYSV:V SV :ISV:~~~!!!!!

WHY!!!!!

Why did they do that? It's the last real level? Did Rare WANT me to suffer? Why!?!??!!

Basically, Platform Perils needs to die. In a fiery pit full of rabid babies.
Treasure Hunter

Postby Qyzbud » November 20th, 2008, 3:04 pm

Platform Perils is a great level. I personally find it fun, and even moderately challenging. Plus, I think it deserves special mention for being the only level in DKC that puts any real emphasis on using barrels to defeat baddies... In most other levels they are just an optional convenience, or are used to open bonus areas.

I can't think of any levels I particularly dislike.
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Tompa » November 20th, 2008, 8:18 pm

Croctopus Chase, because it's long and slow and it's also awfully hard to TAS the "wrong" way...
Trailblazer
Bananas received 45

Postby SLY JO » November 20th, 2008, 8:53 pm

Qyzbud wrote:Platform Perils is a great level. I personally find it fun.

Totally agree.

I frowned upon Tree Top Town when I was little (I got stuck on it), but now I don't mind it. Gotta love shooting through barrels quickly.
Trainee Trekker

Postby Rodent » November 21st, 2008, 8:08 pm

I think all the water levels are a bit dull. :(
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 3

Postby The Kirby » November 25th, 2008, 10:41 am

I dislike all the water levels. I'm not a big fan of them in the series anyway, because I like the platforming levels more, and it made the water levels feel dull in comparison. DKC's are the worst because of one annoying fact: The camera, for some reason, positions the Kongs in the MIDDLE of the screen, rather than the opposite side that you're going like it does in DKC2 and DKC3. This makes avoiding enemies difficult, since you have very little time to respond to incoming obstacles.
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 5

Postby SLY JO » November 25th, 2008, 7:58 pm

I'm never a fan of water levels or scrolling levels. Mainly because I like to go at my own pace (which is usually much faster than a scrolling or water level will let me).

I didn't mind DKC3's water levels too much as you could move fairly quickly and you barely ever got caught on edges.
Trainee Trekker

Postby neekerisanni123 » December 6th, 2008, 4:26 am

Tanked Up Trouble.And I had several problems with Barrel Cannon Canyon.
Tourist

Postby DKM » December 25th, 2008, 2:49 pm

Tree Top Town's annoying and cheap automatic barrels pretty much take the cake for my most hated level.
DKM
Tourist

Postby Katastrophe Kong » April 9th, 2009, 5:54 pm

After another play through of DKC, Platform Perils was a pain in the neck. It's easier in the SNES version.
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 32

Postby diddykong » April 13th, 2009, 8:07 pm

Qyzbud wrote:Platform Perils is a great level. I personally find it fun, and even moderately challenging. Plus, I think it deserves special mention for being the only level in DKC that puts any real emphasis on using barrels to defeat baddies... In most other levels they are just an optional convenience, or are used to open bonus areas.

I have to say i completely agree. I basically always use barrels if i just happen to cross one but i never thoughtfully go and pick up a barrel to strategically kill a baddie. But in platform perilis you have to. It also puts an emphasis about how much they stuffed up diddy's barrel drop (throw). I'm glad it got fixed in dkc2 :)
Tourist

Postby Raccoon Sam » April 14th, 2009, 4:57 am

neekerisanni123 wrote:Tanked Up Trouble.And I had several problems with Barrel Cannon Canyon.

Yeah, Tanked Up Trouble is a real meanie.
Also... hahahahaha, your name...! Glad to see another Finn here. :lol:
Trailblazer
Bananas received 35

Postby diddykong » April 14th, 2009, 1:28 pm

I don't really have a most hated level. Platform perilis is very difficult with diddy. He cant throw barrels of the ground which means to hit the crusher you have to jump. With the shaking platform its insane. The way i beat the last part is by taking short cuts. You can miss 2 or so spots my doing a roll jump. :D I only really struggled with it in challenge mode. Good fun though.
Tourist

Postby BigDonkey101 » April 22nd, 2009, 9:43 am

The level that I hate is Oil Drum Alley.
You pretty much have to have very good timeing to beat the level.
Tourist

Postby SmudgeKWOOD » May 13th, 2009, 6:16 pm

Crocktopuss Chase, Poison Pond, and Plarform Perils were the WORST EVER!!!!!!!!!
On Probation

Postby The tio » May 27th, 2009, 10:16 am

the level that i hate the most...
I gotta say tanked up trouble, it's the level that always gives me, well, trouble.
I can't clear it without losing a life :(

That level is EVIL!
Newcomer

Postby Darth » May 27th, 2009, 11:45 am

All the levels before the save point on Gorilla Glacier, which I still can't pass.
Tourist
Bananas received 2

Postby .:Shadow:. » July 20th, 2009, 1:52 am

I have to say that I hate Tanked Up Trouble. Took over 9000 tries to complete it.
Newcomer

Postby Yure16 » August 13th, 2009, 7:13 am

Is... Forest Frenzy, because is hard, and Vulture Culture, because is boring.
Tourist

Postby Shadow » October 28th, 2009, 12:24 am

neekerisanni123 wrote:Tanked Up Trouble.And I had several problems with Barrel Cannon Canyon.

Same here. Manic Mincers also is super-annoying. :evil:
Tourist

Postby GladiatorGr » January 27th, 2010, 4:13 am

All levels are small (with the good playing style).
In all the big levels there is a warp barrel that can take u straight to the exit.
Tourist

Postby gamester » March 2nd, 2010, 8:02 am

I pretty much disliked all the water levels, until the point I got to ride on Enguarde. Oh, and Blackout Basement. Blackout Basement was just annoying.
Tourist
Bananas received 4

Postby The Guy » March 4th, 2010, 9:02 am

Tree Top Town and Oil Drum Alley were both annoying.
Veteran Venturer

Postby funkyblue » March 6th, 2010, 4:40 pm

I am playing it after putting it in the cupboard for a few years....I purchased a almost new SNES off Ebay a few years back. I kept getting stuck on Temple Tempest took me so many tries! I'm now stuck on the Bumble Bee...Reading the forums It seems I'll be playing for a bit yet! The levels look hard.
Newcomer

Postby gamester » March 8th, 2010, 10:14 am

I'm surprised a lot of people don't like Tree Top Town. It's one of my favorites because of the amount of barrel cannons.
Tourist
Bananas received 4

Postby thetoad11 » July 7th, 2010, 6:05 am

Tie between snow barrel blast and Tanked up trouble. Tanked up trouble, I found was just unfair. I always missed the fuel cans, and died. ANGRY! And in snow barrel blast, I found the barrels too difficutl to control.
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 50

Postby Blake » July 27th, 2010, 11:07 pm

Poison Pond and Snow Barrel Blast, definitely. The last time I beat DKC on the SNES, it took me so long to finish Snow Barrel Blast... until I finally stumbled on the warp by fluke. Well - I knew it was there somewhere, but didn't know exactly where.. boy was I relieved when I hit it, though! Poison Pond isn't particularly hard, just long-winded and annoying.

I love Tanked-Up Trouble, and Platform Perils. In fact - that entire last world before the boss is brilliant, the levels are really challenging and great fun.
Newcomer

Postby JungleJitter » August 16th, 2010, 11:38 pm

snow barrel blast .......
Tourist

Postby Phyreburnz » August 29th, 2010, 1:51 am

Tanked up Trouble was a b...*bleep*...ch and a half. Blackout basement was troublesome the first few times, but after that, not so much. And for some stupid reason, Loopy Lights likes to give me problems.

I'm surprised about Snow Barrel Blast. The easiest way to beat it is to use Donkey toward the end, like in this video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOxpUmj2 ... re=related
To duplicate what is in the video, though, you do need Donkey, Diddy is too light.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Jomingo » August 30th, 2010, 6:38 am

Actually, there is any easier way to do that can be done with either Kong. In that video the guy shoots up over top of one barrel, and then falls down to the shortcut below. But, I think if you shoot to that barrel first without jumping over it, you can then aim down and shoot directly into the shortcut with either Kong without any fancy maneuvering. I can't remember exactly so it might not work as described, but I think I remember doing it that way.

Anyway, yeah Snow Barrel Blast is one of the hardest of any of the games. All of Gorilla Glacier was hard too because you had to go through like 4 levels before you could save.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 7

Postby EliasYFGM » August 30th, 2010, 9:19 am

Definitely the last one before you fight K.Rool. It's a pain :( (I don't remember how was its name).
But I also dislike all the water levels :x
Newcomer

Postby Markster » August 30th, 2010, 10:53 am

Poison Pond, i hate that level to :evil:
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 37

Postby HavocReaper48 » August 30th, 2010, 12:51 pm

Does anyone remember what a struggle levels Snow Barrel Blast through Torchlight Trouble was? The save point is a million levels away! All on one perfect- no game over level beating streak. It's a beginner's trap, right after Queen B., you gotta save and stock up on lives to stand a chance... but T.T. wasn't that bad, it was more of an short inspiration level to get you to Candy Kong, and I liked Croctopus Chase, it was fun. But Snow Barrel Blast, you are evil.

Edit: well, few people knew about those shortcuts in S.B.B. (you're more concerned about reaching the end than risking missing the shortcuts), and I honestly thought Tanked up Trouble wasn't so bad.
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 3

Postby Phyreburnz » September 1st, 2010, 1:47 pm

Jomingo wrote: But, I think if you shoot to that barrel first without jumping over it, you can then aim down and shoot directly into the shortcut with either Kong without any fancy maneuvering. I can't remember exactly so it might not work as described, but I think I remember doing it that way.

You can do it with either Kong, but to do exactly what is in the video you do need Donkey. If you go two barrels over you can shoot directly down with either Kong. However, I always have found it easier to just do it with DK.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby MadcapTech » May 4th, 2011, 7:47 am

Snow Barrel Blast without using the shortcut. Still have issues with that level.
Tourist
Bananas received 1

Postby KingBrett » October 28th, 2011, 7:56 am

Loopy Lights is my most hated level, especially when you're going for that one bonus room that's after the Perched Necky. If you don't take him out first, you'll lose the barrel permanently and won't be able to break the wall to access the bonus room. It is ridiculous.
Tourist
Bananas received 1

Postby Master clyde super » October 31st, 2011, 4:40 am

Platform Perils: I LOVE IT!!! Hard, but, hey, what would you expect from the lastish level?
THe level with lights flicking on and off: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: -That about explains it.
Second level: Just annoying because of the rain. Mostly the sound.
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 2

Postby Mayo » November 8th, 2011, 1:53 pm

What's with all the Platform Perils hate? Never gave me issues, that was one of my chill levels.

Snow Barrel Blast on the other hand... Mannn, if your timing is off by a split second, you're doomed.
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 4

Postby Joshy » November 9th, 2011, 8:51 am

Any underwater levels, they just annoy me.
Newcomer

Postby The Banana Bird » November 12th, 2011, 9:54 am

Croctupus Chase was just plain boring to me.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 7

Next

Return to Donkey Kong Country