Help?

Talk about the original Donkey Kong Country for SNES and VC.
The ports can be discussed in the DKC Ports (GBC, GBA) subforum.

Help?

Postby rainbowsprinklez » December 14th, 2016, 6:29 am

I am interested in making a hack. I want to make a "challenge" hack based off my knowledge of the game, but I need some help. I am using the latest DKCRE, but there are some limitations to it. One thing I want to do is replace the mapwarp with a game over screen to punish any cheaters.
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 108

Re: Help?

Postby OneOf99 » December 14th, 2016, 11:17 am

I;m not sure how exactly this works, but I don't think this is possible. The corners are tied to level starts, so even if you went in to change the map warps to the gameover screen you would disable three levels because they use the "same" warp. I might be wrong though, and the warps on the map are separate from the warps into levels.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 23

Postby Qyzbud » December 14th, 2016, 2:24 pm

I'm not sure about the specifics of this either, but perhaps the mapwarp corners could be modified to point to an instafail bonus room or something like that? This ought to be possible, and should send the "no cheating" message loud and clear. :)

Welcome to DKC Atlas, by the way!
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby rainbowsprinklez » December 15th, 2016, 6:27 am

OneOf99 wrote:I;m not sure how exactly this works, but I don't think this is possible. The corners are tied to level starts, so even if you went in to change the map warps to the gameover screen you would disable three levels because they use the "same" warp. I might be wrong though, and the warps on the map are separate from the warps into levels.

Nice thinking, but you are wrong :) First, mapwarp sends you to a bonus exit, so changing it wouldn't affect stage entrances. Second, I saw a... prodigy?... delve into the code of the game and they were unique entrances.

Qyzbud wrote:I'm not sure about the specifics of this either, but perhaps the mapwarp corners could be modified to point to an instafail bonus room or something like that? This ought to be possible, and should send the "no cheating" message loud and clear. :)

Welcome to DKC Atlas, by the way!

Thank you for your suggestion here. I thought of making the mapwarp locations be to softlock rooms. Easy enough :)

Yeah, I should've been here a long time ago.
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 108

Postby rainbowsprinklez » December 15th, 2016, 11:17 pm

ummm... i MAY be missing something obvious here... in dkcre how does one ADD an object, such as an enemy? i only know how to change them.... I briefly skimmed the help manual, but I may be missing it.
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 108

Postby OneOf99 » December 16th, 2016, 9:46 am

You cannot ADD objects, only replace them. The reason for this is that every level has a set number of enemies/objects, therefor you are limited in what you can change per level. Changing the amount of enemies in the level would require some fancy hex editing powers (none of which I have)
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 23

Postby rainbowsprinklez » December 16th, 2016, 12:59 pm

Awww man! I was hoping to add objects to the k rool fight to make it harder. namely, a mincer over his right side head so only the split-up invincible kong can hit him
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 108

Postby OneOf99 » December 18th, 2016, 8:59 am

That tactic seems a bit too... krool terrible jokes are still awesome!
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 23

Postby rainbowsprinklez » December 18th, 2016, 2:43 pm

OneOf99 wrote:That tactic seems a bit too... krool terrible jokes are still awesome!

LMAO. I'm GOING for cruel. It will only be possible with the split up glitch. I'm mostly sticking to the original but using the way the game works and most people don't understand... sooooooooooooooooooooo
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 108

Postby rainbowsprinklez » December 18th, 2016, 2:48 pm

I'm having a bit of trouble.... in dkcre, when i draw a little, the mouse seems to be stuck down for me or buttons dont respond all the time. is there any undo button in dkcre? or even deselect?
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 108

Postby Simion32 » December 19th, 2016, 1:23 am

DKCRE doesn't have undo/redo because it's very difficult and time consuming to program in. You need to have a generic changes recording system to do that (full history and revertible commands).

This makes for one of the most sought after but unfortunately very lengthy features-to-make to date.

The irresponsive controls may be due to low frame rate. Are you getting 60FPS? I'll put in a bug item for you to see if it can be remedied.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby rainbowsprinklez » December 19th, 2016, 1:26 pm

Ok... not sure on fps as my other computer is inaccessible atm... i KNOW you can highlight, copy, and paste terrain. can you cut too? ctrl + x?
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 108

Postby rainbowsprinklez » December 19th, 2016, 1:36 pm

Simion32 wrote:DKCRE doesn't have undo/redo because it's very difficult and time consuming to program in. You need to have a generic changes recording system to do that (full history and revertible commands).

This makes for one of the most sought after but unfortunately very lengthy features-to-make to date.

The irresponsive controls may be due to low frame rate. Are you getting 60FPS? I'll put in a bug item for you to see if it can be remedied.

I JUST tried out dkcre on my laptop, and it is SO much better than my desktop. It's like a different program!
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 108

Postby rainbowsprinklez » December 23rd, 2016, 12:29 pm

Simion32 wrote:The irresponsive controls may be due to low frame rate. Are you getting 60FPS? I'll put in a bug item for you to see if it can be remedied.

It is running currently at around 51% according to the number in the bottom right... can i lower any settings to improve functionality? I'm getting 30 fps
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 108

Postby rainbowsprinklez » December 24th, 2016, 5:40 am

Simion, how close is dkcre 7.0?
Veteran Venturer
Bananas received 108

Postby Simion32 » January 27th, 2017, 4:52 am

Probably quite a ways off. I've still been eaten away at for time to work on these things.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Return to Donkey Kong Country