DKC using same sound for multiple actions

Talk about the original Donkey Kong Country for SNES and VC.
The ports can be discussed in the DKC Ports (GBC, GBA) subforum.

DKC using same sound for multiple actions

Postby Cosmicman » April 15th, 2008, 11:29 am

Hopefully this has not been discussed before, after careful observation I just confirmed rare used the same sound for 2 actions.

*When you die and the balloon explodes it makes the same sound as when you switch kongs and clap their hands. I guess rare was running out of memory space. Anyone else discovered any other 2 different actions involving same sounds?
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 91

Re: DKC using same sound for multiple actions

Postby Simion32 » April 15th, 2008, 11:33 am

I know one is that when you hit an enemy, is also used for nuts hitting the ground and used for unearthing items in Item Caches as well.

I've mentioned this before, but Rare only left about two kilobytes empty in DKC's ROM.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Kiddy14 » April 15th, 2008, 11:48 am

The sounds are really simmilar, but I don't think they're the same one, or when switching the sound effects actually gets cut off before it can complete its reproduction. You can compare them with this two videos:

Sound Effect when losing a life
Sound effect when switching

Altough, I can say the sound effect in DKC3 when Dixie switches, when she pops her bubble-gum, it's the same sound effect as the Life-Lost one.

A video, altough it starts with a message, the first part he switches to Dixie.
A life lost at the beginning =)

Rare has also repeated sound effects such as the Team-Up is the same as the used when jumping in an animal buddie. The banana collected sound effect is the same one for the Banana Bunches and Bananas themselves in DKC2 and 3.
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Postby Cody » April 15th, 2008, 1:47 pm

Gnawty and Diddy have the same death voice, and a bunch of other enemies share voices with each other.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 62

Postby Qyzbud » April 15th, 2008, 5:22 pm

Good topic, Cosmic. Gives us some detective work to do. ;)

Krusha and Very/Really Gnawty have a similar laugh, and Krusha also shares a 'defeat' noise with Rambi.

I think often Rare will use the same sample, but played back at a different speed/pitch, to make slightly different sounds. Perhaps that's part of the reason it sounds similar, but not the same, for certain sounds (like the clap/pop ones mentioned). I think it's a sensible and clever technique, personally... In fact often these kinds of similar sounds occur in nature, and can conjure a completely different mental impression in different contexts. Sounds of a crackling campfire... light rain on a forest floor... a rustling bag of potato chips... All can make basically identical sounds. How you interpret the sound really just depends on what you can see/smell at the time, or what you expect to be hearing.

Anyhow, I'll also mention the Army/Croctopus/Rockkroc 'alert' sounds. They sound like a three way *snap!* to me. :)
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Diddy_Gal » April 18th, 2008, 12:38 pm

And Krusha and King K. Rool has the same voice when they die.
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 1

Postby BlueTronic » April 18th, 2008, 12:56 pm

Manky Kong dieing is the same as Klump dieing
A steel keg and mine cart make the same sound when they land
K.Rool's crown flying is same as riding the mine carts.
TNT barrel explosions sound like a barrel breaking played rapidly.
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby Qyzbud » April 19th, 2008, 12:07 am

Uh, Kong-Fu... you should have read my post before making yours. :lol:

Edit: Okay, that's looking a bit more fresh and interesting now, good observations.
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Kowbrainz » April 19th, 2008, 12:11 am

Rare often uses the same samples in their game for different sound effects; sometimes fooling you a little bit by altering the pitch and/or the speed of the sound, too. Take Banjo-Kazooie, for example. A lot of the voices created in the games were duplicates of others, simply sped up, slowed down or given a change in pitch.

Edit: And I've jumped the gun once again, not bothering to read the last couple of posts and ultimately posting the same thing which has been said already. Lol.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 1

Postby BlueTronic » April 19th, 2008, 9:22 am

oops. I never saw that. But a barrel breaking seriously does sound like a deep clap
Attachments
untitled.zip
(169.01 KiB) Downloaded 736 times
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby Raccoon Sam » May 25th, 2008, 4:47 am

Cosmicman wrote:I guess rare was running out of memory space.

It's not Rare running out of 'memory space', more likely just being reasonable. DKC was 4 Megabytes in size, that's the size of an average MP3 song.
The pop and the clap sound similar enough, no reason to have two different waveforms for both sounds. It's just saving space in general. For instance, Boo's snickering in Super Mario 64 is just Bowser's laugh, inverted and sped up.

DKC uses many sounds several times. The first one that comes in my mind is Very Gnawty's laugh. It's Krusha's laugh, slowed down.
EDIT: goddamnit qyzbud you beat me to it

Another one I remember is K. Rool's jumping. It's just the tire bounce. Also, the falling cannonballs are a combination of two sounds, the first being a shooting barrel.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 35

Postby Simion32 » May 25th, 2008, 7:16 am

Raccoon Sam wrote:It's not Rare running out of 'memory space', more likely just being reasonable. DKC was 4 Megabytes in size, that's the size of an average MP3 song.
Yes, but that's the biggest possible size of any normal SNES game. Anything bigger would (to my knowledge) only work on an emulator. Only about 24 SNES games use a full 4MB, DKC Trilogy included.

Raccoon Sam wrote:the first being a shooting barrel.
The second one is the same sound used when you knock away enemies with Rambi.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby Stone » May 25th, 2008, 8:47 am

What's with Star Ocean? I think it has more than 4 MB. According to wikipedia Tales of Phantasia too 8-)

I think it is OK to post directly from wikipedia:
"While the SNES can address 128 Mb (Mib), only 117.75 Mb are actually available for cartridge use. A fairly normal mapping could easily address up to 95 Mb of ROM data (48 Mb at FastROM speed) with 8 Mb of battery-backed RAM.[49] However, most available memory access controllers only support mappings of up to 32 Mb. The largest games released (Star Ocean and Tales of Phantasia) contain 48 Mb of ROM data, while the smallest games contain only 2 Mb."
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 48

Postby Kiddy14 » June 20th, 2008, 10:39 am

I was traveling in the time machine of the YT videos and found this one I uploaded. Neek's and Squitter/Rattly's sounds are much likely the same, just, Neek's sounds are a fast motion of Rattly/Squitter's hurt sound! 8-)
Expedition Leader
Bananas received 25

Postby BlueTronic » June 20th, 2008, 12:01 pm

I think Neek's squeek may have been also played backwards to make Squitter/Rattly's death sound, because listen to how neek's sound starts out deeper and gets higher. Now listen to how Rattly/Squitter's starts out higher and get's deeper.

Also, Squitter's death sound in DKC3 starts out deeper, but gets higher. They must have not played it backwards to make a new sound. It also sound a little higher, too.
Previously "Kong-Fu"
Bananas received 109

Postby Kobble » June 27th, 2008, 3:55 pm

Squidges movements sound the same as Enguarde's attack. Roc-Kroc's footsteps sounds the same as when Donkey Kong lands on the ground.
Tourist

Return to Donkey Kong Country