Blue Balloon Locations

Talk about the original Donkey Kong Country for SNES and VC.
The ports can be discussed in the DKC Ports (GBC, GBA) subforum.

Blue Balloon Locations

Postby DKC » November 12th, 2012, 8:26 pm

Is there a guide or video anywhere of all the blue balloon locations? I think this would be awesome as I know there is a few that are hidden really well (not including the one's on the first level.) If someone could link me to a guide/video of all the locations of these that would be great! Or maybe one of the pro's here could just tell me? Or if you don't know all of them, how about just post which one's you do know about in this topic! Green balloons would be nice too. I'm also interested in the locations of these in DKC2 and 3 as well. I'll start off by posting a video of one secret one I only found out about today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gV2YaWqBmz0
DKC
Newcomer

Re: Blue Balloon Locations

Postby Qyzbud » November 12th, 2012, 11:49 pm

That's a good question. I don't know of a guide that details the locations of all Blue Balloons (or all Extra Life Balloons, for that matter)... but that's the kind of thing I intend to host on the Atlas at some point. A quick browse through DKC's levels using Simion32's DKC Resource Editor (discussion|download) affirms to me that Blue Balloons are quite a rare item indeed — apart from the ones you've mentioned, they are mostly just possible prizes in bonus areas.

So, I guess it would be a fairly brief guide. :lol:

Even a complete guide to every Extra Life Balloon wouldn't be very lengthy — they are actually pretty uncommon in general after the first level.
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby DKC » November 13th, 2012, 1:32 am

Hmm. Surely there is more than the 2 on the first level and the one I posted (and the one's in select bonus stages). A guide with all the extra balloons would be excellent indeed. I might go do a thorough play-through and note down the greens and blues I find! (Seems more fun to me than using the editor haha.) I also forgot you were from SA too, intriguing.
DKC
Newcomer

Postby Phyreburnz » November 13th, 2012, 2:56 am

I can't think of the specific level name, but I know there's a blue balloon in a snowy mountain level... I'm pretty sure it's the one with Expresso.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Cody » November 13th, 2012, 3:00 am

lol, "a snowy mountain level." I like that description. That would be Ice Age Alley, and I think the Blue Balloon is in the 2nd bonus... I'm pretty certain at least. It's been a while since I've played the game.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 62

Postby Phyreburnz » November 13th, 2012, 3:05 am

Leave me alone! I couldn't pop my cartridge in and look! :P

But it isn't in the bonus. I know there's one that you have to fly to with Expresso.
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Geno » November 13th, 2012, 8:33 am

Well, in DKC3, in Rocket Barrel Ride, I was floating down the left side of a waterfall, when i got a blue balloon.
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 57

Postby Phyreburnz » November 13th, 2012, 12:17 pm

Ugh... I must be effing insane... that one I was talking about is in the bonus... I was sure that it wasn't though.... I feel like I'm losing my mind because I thought that!
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 593

Postby Simion32 » November 13th, 2012, 5:20 pm

Off the top of my head:

DKC1:
2 in Jungle Hijinx (end of level, above screen)
1 Offered as final prize to the Oil Drum alley hidden bonus
1 in Snow Barrel Blast
1 in Ice Age Alley as a prize to the 2nd hard-to-reach bonus
DKC2:
Extremely uncommon. Can't remember where any are.
DKC3:
At the end of Lakeside Limbo
In the cache under Koin in Bobbing Barrel Brawl (need TNT)
At the far left of Rocket Barrel Ride, go left and float from the halfway barrel
EDIT: According to my DKC3 cache images, there's one in Lightning Look-out too. Good luck unearthing that one... :roll:
Sage of Discovery
Bananas received 332

Postby DKC » November 13th, 2012, 6:15 pm

Here's a really well hidden one in DKC3 in Bobbing Barrel Brawl. It's amazing how well hidden some of these are. Like seriously who would find something like that out? This makes me think there must be at least a few more green/blue balloons like this undocumented and perhaps even largely undiscovered.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fh5PmBfaUak
DKC
Newcomer

Postby Qyzbud » November 13th, 2012, 9:27 pm

Simion32 wrote:DKC2: Extremely uncommon. Can't remember where any are.

The only one I can remember is at the end of Topsail Trouble... but there must be a few I'm just not thinking of.

That Bobbing Barrel Brawl technique is great! I think I've only ever gotten it by going back with the Kongs.
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Kingizor » November 13th, 2012, 11:21 pm

The SDK2 editor has a built in search function that allows you to search for individual objects. According to it, the only blue balloons are a normal one in Topsail Trouble and a hidden one in Bramble Scramble.

In DKC3:
Lakeside Limbo (Hard to miss)
Tracker Barrel Trek (Not Rocket Barrel Ride)
Blazing Bazukas (Hidden, near the end of the level)
Buzzer Barrage (At the end of the level, Kopter bounce to the top of the second tunnel)
Trailblazer
Bananas received 77

Postby Cody » November 15th, 2012, 11:44 am

kingizor wrote:The SDK2 editor has a built in search function that allows you to search for individual objects. According to it, the only blue balloons are a normal one in Topsail Trouble and a hidden one in Bramble Scramble.

That's so surreal for some reason.... I never noticed the severe lack of Blue Balloons in either DKC2 or DKC3. The former though, wow. I know about the Topsail Trouble one (as does many people probably) but where is the one in Bramble Scramble?
Treasure Hunter
Bananas received 62

Return to Donkey Kong Country