Official track names?

Talk about the original Donkey Kong Country for SNES and VC.
The ports can be discussed in the DKC Ports (GBC, GBA) subforum.

Official track names?

Postby TheUltimateKoopa » November 4th, 2010, 4:23 pm

OK, so I'm sure I'm not the only one confused about Theme, Simian Segue, DK Island Swing or Jungle Groove, right?

OK, so on the official soundtrack (DK Jamz), tracks 1, 2, 3 and 5 are named as mentioned above, respectively, however, other people seem to swap the name of one of them with the next one. For example, what the soundtrack calls "Jungle Groove", other people call "DK Island Swing", what the soundtrack calls "DK Island Swing", people call "Simian Segue" (the map theme), what the soundtrack calls "Simian Segue", people call "Theme", and what the soundtrack calls "Theme", people might refer to as "Rareware Logo" or something.

So, what ARE the correct names for the "intro", "map" and "jungle" themes.
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 4

Re: Official track names?

Postby Qyzbud » November 4th, 2010, 8:55 pm

There does seem to be some confusion out there about these track names, but as far as I can tell...

Track 1 of DK Jamz; "Theme" is the official title for the intro music. It's also known as "Main Theme", which I prefer...
Track 2 of DK Jamz; "Simian Segue" is the correct title for the map screen music. A segue is a transition, so this makes sense.
Track 3 of DK Jamz; "DK Island Swing" is the SNES quality version of the jungle music, with 'Rare Logo'/'Fanfare' (not official titles, I don't think) at the beginning.
Track 5 of DK Jamz; "Jungle Groove" is a studio quality arrangement of the jungle music.

Now, having the Rareware fanfare at the beginning of DK Island Swing seems like an odd (and unappealing) choice to me, but I don't think that's the cause of confusion.

To me, there are two likely causes of confusion:

Firstly, I personally think the name "DK Island Swing" suits the map screen music better than the jungle music. I mean, you hear the map theme every time you see the DK Island overview (unless you're travelling by Jumbo Barrel, of course). This could have something to do with the confusion. Secondly, confusion could spring from there being two jungle music tracks... but if you just look at them as two unique tracks (really, Jungle Groove is more of a bonus track...) each with unique titles, it pretty much eliminates any confusion here.

So basically, "DK Island Swing" seems a poor choice of title for the jungle music, but that's what the jungle music is called. If Rare/Nintendo had used the title "Jungle Groove" instead, and called the studio version, oh, say... "Jungle Groove (Studio Version)", well, that may just have been enough to alleviate all the confusion.

That's my take on the track title confusion, anyhow.
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby TheUltimateKoopa » November 7th, 2010, 5:17 am

Going with the definition of segue, meaning "continue (the next section) without a pause", it could suit the opening theme, as in the one with DK's boombox thing. Why, because it starts with the original Donkey Kong opening theme, then "continues without a pause" to the "modern upbeat funky dance" version. But it could ALSO suit the Jungle themes, since you have the jazzy thing then after about a minute it has another minute and a bit, of calmer music.
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 4

Postby Tailikku » March 13th, 2011, 8:26 am

Qyzbud wrote:Firstly, I personally think the name "DK Island Swing" suits the map screen music better than the jungle music. I mean, you hear the map theme every time you see the DK Island overview (unless you're travelling by Jumbo Barrel, of course). This could have something to do with the confusion. Secondly, confusion could spring from there being two jungle music tracks... but if you just look at them as two unique tracks (really, Jungle Groove is more of a bonus track...) each with unique titles, it pretty much eliminates any confusion here.

So basically, "DK Island Swing" seems a poor choice of title for the jungle music, but that's what the jungle music is called. If Rare/Nintendo had used the title "Jungle Groove" instead, and called the studio version, oh, say... "Jungle Groove (Studio Version)", well, that may just have been enough to alleviate all the confusion.

Thankfully Rare wised up for the GBA version and had that fixed so what used to be titled DK Island Swing is now Simian Segue 1 & 2 and What used to be called Simian Segue is now DK Island Swing.
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 12

Postby SimianSegue » April 4th, 2011, 6:17 am

Hey, I'm new to DKC Atlus, and the main theme on the title screen is Simian Segue, which is also my username. Jungle Groove is the title of the first level, and also the title of the song in the first level.
Trailblazer
Bananas received 4

Postby TheUltimateKoopa » June 26th, 2011, 2:42 am

Actually, I'm pretty sure you're wrong.
Simian Segue is the map screen
DK Island Swing is the Jungle music
Jungle Groove is actually an arrangement of DK Island Swing that's not in the actual game.
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 4

Postby SimianSegue » June 26th, 2011, 3:19 pm

:oops:...How embarassing...
Trailblazer
Bananas received 4

Postby Tailikku » October 29th, 2014, 12:21 pm

SimianSegue wrote::oops:...How embarassing...

Even more embarassing: Simian Segue is the Jungle Theme and DK Island Swing is the Map Theme I thought I had that abundantly clear in my post :shakehead: :rant:
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 12

Postby Qyzbud » October 30th, 2014, 10:55 am

You did make that clear, Tailikku, but even if what you were saying is correct (where did you get this info?), it's quite possible that it was simply an error made during the porting job. As good a developer as Rare were, they did make mistakes, and their ports seemed to have a lot of questionable changes.

Now, I'm no expert on the DKC ports/handheld games, but I certainly don't recall these track names being switched (officially or otherwise) from the GBA era onwards... perhaps you could provide some credible evidence/sources?
Atlas Author
Bananas received 682

Postby Tailikku » September 23rd, 2015, 10:47 am

I own a copy of the GBA version and the Soundtest goes:

Simian Segue 1 (Jungle theme plays)
Simian Segue 2 (second half of Jungle theme plays)

Northern Hemispheres (Snow BGM)
Misty Menace (Mine BGM)
Mine Cart Madness (Minecart BGM)
Cave Dweller Concert (Cave BGM)
Aquatic Ambiance (Water BGM)
Voices of the Temple (Ruin BGM)
Treetop Rock ("Ewok" BGM)
Fear Factory (Factory BGM)
Ice Cave Chant (Slipslide Ride BGM)
Life in the Mines (Walkway BGM)
Forest Frenzy (Forest BGM)
Bad Boss Boogie
Gang-Plank Galleon 1 (GPG Intro)
Gang-Plank Galleon 2 (GPG Second Half)
DK Island Swing (Map theme plays)
DK Theme (new remix of the Title theme)

After this we have the jingles and the themes of the other Kongs, before looping back to Simian Segue 1.
Trainee Trekker
Bananas received 12

Return to Donkey Kong Country